Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer "Hot" new pin...Part 2  (Read 3928 times)

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:11 am
Re: Jennifer "Hot" new pin...Part 2
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2019, 02:01:25 am »
I know, I know...The pics could be better, I have tried everything Jenn can think of and still have problems understanding how everyone makes it look so easy. I got excessive file size otherwise...Sorry about that.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:19 am »
Malenco... After a quick peek, I gotta be like OMG! you have done something few would dare, That is absolutely astounding work and thank you for the link  :applaud:, and I will have to check out what others have done over there too.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:22:45 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2019, 10:55:38 am »
Those decals look pretty good.

:cheers:
This forum needs more threads about Arcade 1Up cabinets.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2019, 01:31:20 pm »
Not everyone clears them, So in that light they worked really nice for me, but black is really difficult not to show scratches and wish they would have had transfer tape on them, Those Gen 2 on E/pay most likely do for anyone looking to try this...But Thanks...PBJ APPROVED! (Dance,Dance ;))

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2019, 05:07:28 pm
  • Be the change you want to see in the world.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2019, 02:55:30 pm »
You can always email me the pix and I'll upload them here for you.
If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2019, 03:02:31 pm »
Also, Checkpoint is one those games that's strangely present at every show I've attended.  For a game that only had a run of 3,500 there sure as hell are a lot of them in circulation.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2019, 03:36:12 pm »
I have had a couple of them over the years, They are wicked ugly to work on, usually at least here anyway requiring a scope to at least trace false triggers, Wouldn't recommend it to a first time pin owner...This one had massive amounts of coil dust in it, Jenn cleaned it  out with  magnets and about to start on the shop out/Light restore.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:22:06 pm
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2019, 06:07:05 pm »
Very nice work on the painting and decals Jen.  That little compressor looks like a mini version of my own.  I have a question for you on coin doors but its a bit off topic so I'll PM you.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2019, 06:29:51 pm »
Malenco... After a quick peek, I gotta be like OMG! you have done something few would dare, That is absolutely astounding work and thank you for the link  :applaud:, and I will have to check out what others have done over there too.

I started colorizing HS2:TG
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3984-the-getaway-high-speed-ii-malenko-edition/

I'm really not a narcissist, there were just 2 or 3 other people working on their own versions, so I thought Malenko Edition was funny.
If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2019, 12:10:40 am »
I played a lot of pins with colordmds at zapcon.  They arenít nearly bright enough and I much prefer the original gas displays.  The graphics were neat and Malenko has done excellent work.  Iím sure people that arenít familiar with the old displays think the color ones are awesome but eh.  On the other hand... looks like the color dmd leds are $365... and the gas displays are like $200 now.... so Iíd probably buy the led if I needed a new display.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 08:08:33 am »
There's 2 kinds, ColorDMD and Pin2DMD. ColorDMD is the better choice but with Pin2DMD anyone can color the game. Both have brightness adjustments and none of the games at Zapcon had the brightness above medium.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2019, 01:27:16 pm »
What do the assembled Pin2DMD kits sell for?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2019, 01:36:31 pm »
Doing one last test fit to get everything aligned properly, That Dmd panel is just some junk I found digging around in my mess, Strangely enough It is from a Getaway, but we already made already new one we are going to use with upgraded speaker holes....My thoughts on Dmd brightness Jenni would think too bright and it would reflect off the glass and be already bit distracting,.. ..They also make a light up gauge mod for this machine, but again I would have to think too much reflection, And most likely won't use it.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:19:35 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »
What do the assembled Pin2DMD kits sell for?

Only kits I know of are available in Europe. About $185 before shipping. Pretty sure it's still cheaper to piece it all together yourself, but I quit looking into it after I sold Johnny.
%Bartop

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2019, 07:08:14 pm »
Very nice work on the painting and decals Jen.  That little compressor looks like a mini version of my own.  I have a question for you on coin doors but its a bit off topic so I'll PM you.
That compressor is my little workhorse, usually Jenn uses a 5hp craftsman for painting, but not everyone has money to throw around on multiple tanks, and fancy tools so just tried to show the very min. basic of what could be used for the results, It did turn out nice (Thx)... But it is not done yet.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2019, 01:41:09 am »
It is not my intention to make this look so hard, Normally as a cab it would have been good enough awhile ago and still would have been miles ahead of the factory production standards...But final word on tanks, There is confusing math on the subject but generally speaking bigger is better, but for entry level would not go any smaller  (or tankless) than what we used for this project. And even that was pushing our luck...5hp/30 gal would have been more forgiving in terms of not running out of air, and would have allowed more control over keeping it wet and flow, on a hot/warm day by using overreducing, (slightly) and having a higher sustained pressure at the gun for the area we were painting...The tank we used was too small for such luxury, and we just ran it dry, and actually was finishing each side with little to no pressure in the tank, and relied more on the motor to finish up on each side, opening up the possibility of pulsing pressure, and water/oil in the lines with a motor running Constant like that...But, we did get lucky however, and will get back the next phase, probably this weekend, or early next week for those just joining us.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:48 pm »
T moulding...This machine never had it so kind of a mod I suppose, I was going to document the process for those that have never done it, cause every time you see a project like this the T is just done like it was no big deal. It is not hard but does require some forthought and a steady hand...And for those following along, this should have been done way back in the building stage not after the art was applied...Anyway, Jenn has done miles of this stuff and waited to the end, and it did come out nice, Notice how I stopped at the end, and left about 1/8" rather than just cut all the way through. :o
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:29:16 pm by jennifer »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:19:35 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2019, 09:24:31 pm »
On the subject of cutting the T-molding slot... For those new to the task... It helps to set the depth of the router bit, lock it in, then turn the router on for a bit, turn it off and make sure your bit depth did not change. Also, check that depth a few times while cutting, just to make sure the bit isn't drifting. In other words... Tighten the ever-loving piss out of the bit.
%Bartop

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »
That is good advice Nephasth, it doesn't take much for things to go wrong with T molding... What we have here are the parts being prepped for clear, A woodworkers trick is to coat the end grain  (and holes) with watered down wood glue as a sealer giving a more even coverage for stain/topcoat...I use fibre glass resin (I didn't show this when we painted the backbox) But resin is more compatible with the solvent based paints/primers and sealers Jenn uses. It also locks down the laminate to help prevent cracking from age (remember we used cured and dried wood) now it is sealed, and when painted/cleared it looks like plastic...we are doing this as pieces prior to assembly because it is much easier and faster...If anyone plans to try this, Mix 2 oz. Put on a nitril glove and force it into the grain with your fingers (work fast cause it gels pretty quickly. Don't let it harden before trimming, use a clean razor blade (wipe the oil off it) and trim the slop off while the resin is rubbery, It will save you tons of work on the back end. (Wink)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:23:24 am by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2019, 07:00:38 pm »
Not all T moulding is created equal, That is to say there is no real standard and can be quite confusing, spline depth/width centering on the workpiece all factor in. As it pertains to this project I used a small bearing, adjusted the depth with a piece of milled oak taped to the inside edge for the bearing to ride on, normally one would just change the bearing to larger but this allows for some adjustment... https://www.t-molding.com/Is a good place to get started and learn the process since they give you the size  of their groove required for the moulding (decent selection) and offer quality bits, They served my needs well when I first got started, ...This isn't from there however, My tastes have got quite exotic over the years (and they didn't have gloss black that I saw anyway) so had to mix and match, run tests and just do the math all old school.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:35:21 am by jennifer »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:25:42 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 01:47:13 pm »
Not all T moulding is created equal, That is to say there is no real standard and can be quite confusing, spline depth/width centering on the workpiece all factor in.

can confirm, even from the same manufacturer. Been buying t-moulding for our cocktail cabinets and had to specally purchase a 2mm slot cutter to get the spline bar to hold properly in the moulding from the place we are ordering from.... then after 8 or 10 50 foot rolls over the last 4 some odd years, it changed. now it's 3mm.  :dunno same part numbers, same manufacturer. same everything. been 3mm last 3 rolls now so hopefully it's going to stay.

i've been buying t-moulding first and doublechecking the spline before I cut just to be sure.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2019, 05:09:57 pm »
Not all T moulding is created equal, That is to say there is no real standard and can be quite confusing, spline depth/width centering on the workpiece all factor in.

can confirm, even from the same manufacturer. Been buying t-moulding for our cocktail cabinets and had to specally purchase a 2mm slot cutter to get the spline bar to hold properly in the moulding from the place we are ordering from.... then after 8 or 10 50 foot rolls over the last 4 some odd years, it changed. now it's 3mm.  :dunno same part numbers, same manufacturer. same everything. been 3mm last 3 rolls now so hopefully it's going to stay.

i've been buying t-moulding first and doublechecking the spline before I cut just to be sure.
After some quick math... You average around 10ft. a month, That is far removed from your average first time hobbyist, And quite impressive. I bet you could write a book on the subject and have quite a bit invested in your work area with heat guns special hammers and such, and that's only a small piece of your monthly parts needs if your building complete cabs. again quite impressive in this day and age, I don't think many do that anymore  It took Me a long time to fully understand the truth in your observations...However Jennifer has a shameful secret...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2019, 05:35:13 pm »
T moulding comes coiled in a box around a foot square, and when you open it (at least jenn does anyway) has buyers remorse and disappointment at quality (from most venders) It is semi gloss or flat, looks extruded, usually has scuffs on it that you have to cut around to get a decent piece, Might in some cases even have crimped edges from the ties and looks somewhat damaged from just rubbing around in the shipping box led me on a search...Atomic market (A/zon/ Epay) finally in my mind created a flexible, shiny quality product, but the spline is quite short...Soooo, If you guys look at that test piece in that groove closely you will notice the barbs grab, but there is slop beings it is slightly overcut...Now, Back to L/shawns observations, and on a restoration the T is always going to be wrong in some respect because of the non conformity... Since my groove has some play I glue it in with a slow drying epoxy and tape it center for a perfect fit... Cheating I know, but the short spline, needs the extra hold IMO, and when someone someday hates on me during a restoration of that cab, they will have to recut the groove anyway cause the T they buy most likely wouldn't fit the groove anyway. :( 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:25:42 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2019, 12:11:04 am »
After some quick math... You average around 10ft. a month, That is far removed from your average first time hobbyist, And quite impressive. I bet you could write a book on the subject and have quite a bit invested in your work area with heat guns special hammers and such, and that's only a small piece of your monthly parts needs if your building complete cabs. again quite impressive in this day and age, I don't think many do that anymore  It took Me a long time to fully understand the truth in your observations...However Jennifer has a shameful secret...

LUL yes, I work for an amusement company putting games, pool tables, jukeboxes, and the like into bars and lounges all over the place. it's not uncommon to drive 4 or 5 hours to a remote location.

and as a side gig when things are slow (like as of lately) we build cocktail video games that we sell... we average about 20 sales a year for the last 4 years now. (most around christmas time of course.) and will be coming up on our 5th year pretty soon.

so yeah, we go through a buttload of t-moulding. i'll do up a batch of cabinets and use up almost a whole roll.

T moulding comes coiled in a box around a foot square, and when you open it (at least jenn does anyway) has buyers remorse and disappointment at quality (from most venders) It is semi gloss or flat, looks extruded, usually has scuffs on it that you have to cut around to get a decent piece, Might in some cases even have crimped edges from the ties and looks somewhat damaged from just rubbing around in the shipping box led me on a search...Atomic market (A/zon/ Epay) finally in my mind created a flexible, shiny quality product, but the spline is quite short...Soooo, If you guys look at that test piece in that groove closely you will notice the barbs grab, but there is slop beings it is slightly overcut...Now, Back to L/shawns observations, and on a restoration the T is always going to be wrong in some respect because of the non conformity... Since my groove has some play I glue it in with a slow drying epoxy and tape it center for a perfect fit... Cheating I know, but the short spline, needs the extra hold IMO, and when someone someday hates on me during a restoration of that cab, they will have to recut the groove anyway cause the T they buy most likely wouldn't fit the groove anyway. :( 

yeah it's tough to get a good quality product these days. seems to be real hit and miss. sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get shite and you just have to work with it sometimes. we ended up with a roll a while back... i don't know if it was old or what, but it was so cock stiff, it took plenty of heat gun action just to bend it around a radius. glad when that roll was gone.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2019, 05:15:59 am »
 In that groove pic it looks like the paint is all chipped, but that's not the case, it black and smooth as the hood on a Ferrari  (or whatever that theme car on this game is supposed to be) That is just sawdust...It is a good pic however of just how thin those five coats of the high velocity clear actually are, basically that was used as a interlock sealer to protect the art/color from the trauma of cutting the groove...Next time we will bury it under high build, paint the back with semi gloss trim and try to finish this up so we can move on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:36:31 am by jennifer »