Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The bartop without a name  (Read 778 times)

J_K_M_A_N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:30 pm
The bartop without a name
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »
Well, I don't really like to start a thread about a new build as it takes me a REALLY long time to complete. I live in a town-home and I didn't have a lot of tools (that is getting better....shh...don't tell the wife). The garage is about the only space to work making sawdust and I do not want to park outside (especially in winter) so I have to cut and clean up right away. That is why it takes so long. BUT...for OND, I will start this thread.

I am working on an updated bartop. Some may have seen the first attempt here (which was not good). In my defense, I did not have a router or many other tools at that time. Not that many of you couldn't make something much nicer with less tools. :)

So, I am trying to make something updated using what I learned from that and with a lot more tools. I got a small router and a bigger one that I need to make a table for and a table saw. I had to get a fold up job site table saw due to space. I started this one about 2-3 months ago already and so far, I have the sides cut and matched up with the router and a trim bit. I have some pieces of wood glued and brad nailed in for support. Here is a picture of it just kind of laid together. Nothing is glued side to side yet.

I wanted this one a lot smaller and lighter. I plan on having a few buttons in the front panel and I will have plexi on the control panel and in front of the monitor. I was going to do full graphics but I already want to change things so this one will be completed as another learning experience. I will just paint and I have some heavy duty vinyl for the front panel and the control panel. I have a U360 coming soon (was supposed to be today but not with this snow). I bought the mounting plate with 4 way and 8 way restrictor to see how I would like to use it. I will test that before I use it.

I also want to take the monitor apart and paint the silver front black. I am thinking of getting a heavy black cardboard type of material and cutting out the bezel to put behind the plexi.

I probably won't update this much as it is tough to work in the winter with a lot of water in the garage. I will try and update when I can though.

J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

• Online Online
Re: The bartop without a name
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
I did do a little work last night and it worked better than I had expected. I wanted to cut some slots for the mounting holes for the monitor. I had a big piece of wood from a failed attempt at making a router table so I routed out a groove in it and clamped some pieces to that to make some slots with the router. Here are some pictures of the set up.

It worked perfectly! I will use the same method to make speaker slots on the top panel (someday).

J_K_M_A_N

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:25:01 am
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:40:04 am »
Thanks for sharing J_K_M_A_N, this looks to be a nice cleanly built bartop in the works.  Before I ever got a router table I just used clamped wooden edges like you are doing.  The practice I got using a router in that way still proves useful.  Don't worry if your projects are lengthy _ I know all about that kind of thing  :-[  Just keep going when you can, and post it here.   :cheers:

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2019, 10:40:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:23 pm »
Looks very clean. One of my first thoughts for my project was to go with a bartop. The size looks much better than a gigantic beast.

Will this be a 1 player machine? What controls do you plan on adding?

J_K_M_A_N

• Online Online
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:14:06 pm »
It will be 1 player again this time. My first one was pretty bad so this is still a learning project. I think a final one will be a bar top still but with a widescreen monitor and 2 player. At this point it will be 1 U360 with 4 buttons (I am old and don't play any fighters). I would like to add a small trackball but probably not on this one. I am liking the smaller size so far though. Easier to lug around. The weather is almost nice enough to get more work done.

J_K_M_A_N

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2019, 10:40:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:49 pm »
Not sure when/where I played a game with a smaller trackball, they are kinda nice. Maybe it was setup on a computer or laptop. Definitely nice when you donít have much space. Iím kind of stuck with the larger one I have though, but I imagine it will be nice for our littlest one. Though she might be a lot older by the time I finish!  ;)

J_K_M_A_N

• Online Online
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:24:33 pm »
A little progress was made. (A lot for me :))

I routed out the speaker holes Nintendo style. I used an up spiral bit from Home Depot and a board with a slot in it for the bit to go into. I lined it up and clamped a yard stick for a straight line and tried to block off each side for stops so I wouldn't go too far. It worked on both sides on the smaller ones but not the bigger ones so I had to try and eye those up. I think it got better as I went along.

It turned out pretty good. I did wobble a tiny bit but that is only really noticeable up close.

They seem fairly even. Close enough to look decent. I think I could do a little better if I did it again but I don't know if I will. I just wanted to try it out.

It was at least something. It has been quite a while since I could do anything in the garage. Feels good to be out there again. I can't wait to do more.

J_K_M_A_N

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:39 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24:53 am »
If you want to give it another try, here's a link on how to do it. How to Route a Nintendo Speaker Grill