Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reinforced cabinet for big CRT  (Read 1222 times)

fsflaquer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Reinforced cabinet for big CRT
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »
Hello!

I am planning to build my first cabinet, a 4 player upright based on the Simpsons/TMNT layout. I have a behemoth CRT TV, that weighs about 200 lbs, and I fear that just stretching the cabinet to fit the TV won't hold its weight...

Do you have any suggestions to reinforce the support for the TV?

Thank you!

PS: I am in the planning stage, will post pics as I settle for the layout and start the woodwork. May. Need. More. Help.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
Re: Reinforced cabinet for big CRT
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:06:45 am »
If you divide 200lbs by 4 you get 25.... I would suggest a 4 point frame carriage.

Aurelien

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:43 am »
If you divide 200lbs by 4 you get 25

25kg? :-)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Buy a Multimeter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:38:33 am »
First the flux capacitor, and now basic math.  :laugh2:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
That is pretty much a modern day flux capacitor, it has all the potential of one anyway, However you got me on the math ::), yes Jenn was working on something else at the time...But back to this, 25 pounds to a bolt would be a good baseline, without going all Mil. specs on it, The frame gets into a bridge made of toothpicks, or dropping a egg kinda thing, what are the actual numbers or how was it constructed for strength.... Personally I tend to overbuild and use Titanic as a template. but Would think a 3/16 steel carriage all welded up pretty would support the weight.

Ond

• Online Online
  • build something
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
I'm giving this some thought for my own similar purpose.  I have a 27' CRT that I need to support in a horizontal position for a cocktail design I'm planning.  The ideal thing would be a welded frame to suit as jenn suggests.  I don't have any welding skills so the next best thing would be a hardwood sub frame.  With a CRT as heavy as the OP is planning I'd support that all the way to the floor rather than trying to suspend it within a box cabinet i.e. build a frame from the floor up and then clad around it with panels. 
You might think that you're scared, but you're not.  That isn't fear.  That's your sharpness.  That's your power.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:46 am »
I'm giving this some thought for my own similar purpose.  I have a 27' CRT that I need to support in a horizontal position for a cocktail design I'm planning.  The ideal thing would be a welded frame to suit as jenn suggests.  I don't have any welding skills so the next best thing would be a hardwood sub frame.  With a CRT as heavy as the OP is planning I'd support that all the way to the floor rather than trying to suspend it within a box cabinet i.e. build a frame from the floor up and then clad around it with panels.
That shouldn't stop a clever guy like you, I would imagine you have studied engineering practices as result of tearing things apart over the years.... Welding is not really that hard, in fact a small arc welder could be had very cheaply to do a project like this, and you would have the basics down in an afternoon, however a wirefeed, MIG, or TIG would (MIG inparticular) would be a better investment for future projects.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK-M5ryHYY
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:24:21 am by jennifer »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
Hello!

I am planning to build my first cabinet, a 4 player upright based on the Simpsons/TMNT layout. I have a behemoth CRT TV, that weighs about 200 lbs, and I fear that just stretching the cabinet to fit the TV won't hold its weight...

Do you have any suggestions to reinforce the support for the TV?

Thank you!

PS: I am in the planning stage, will post pics as I settle for the layout and start the woodwork. May. Need. More. Help.

You could consider a showcase style.  If its 30" or larger that is.  Largest CRT I would put in a cabinet would be 27"

Ond

• Online Online
  • build something
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:29:35 am »
That shouldn't stop a clever guy like you, I would imagine you have studied engineering practices as result of tearing things apart over the years.... Welding is not really that hard, in fact a small arc welder could be had very cheaply to do a project like this, and you would have the basics down in an afternoon, however a wirefeed, MIG, or TIG would (MIG inparticular) would be a better investment for future projects.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIK-M5ryHYY

Dammit jenn, now you've got me all interested in welders.  We have a tool shop nearby that has dozens of these things, Iíll go and talk to them on my days off.  I guess one positive thing about metal frames is they are much less bulky than timber with greater relative supporting strength.
You might think that you're scared, but you're not.  That isn't fear.  That's your sharpness.  That's your power.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
I'm building a bartop of sorts for my 25" crt arcade monitor and I am using a frame made of aluminum t-slot extrusions.

The t-slot extrusions are very cheap and slot togeather easily, quickly and neatly. You can then attach wood panels to the aluminum frame for the cabinet walls.

I believe this is the best and easiest diy method (other than buying a kit. I use an aluminum t-slot from to hold my 1000lb CNC machine so a 200lb crt should be no problem.

I don't trust my woodworking skills to hold up a 200lb crt year after year....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 09:59:43 am »
Here is a 36" CRT mounted vertically in a Killer Instinct 2 cabinet held in with the factory mounts (they were just moved to accommodate the bigger monitor).

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,97260.msg1025567.html

Its been in that cabinet for 9 years now without any issue.
No matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites us all.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 11:22:46 am »
Here is a 36" CRT mounted vertically in a Killer Instinct 2 cabinet held in with the factory mounts (they were just moved to accommodate the bigger monitor).

That looks great. I love those KI cabs. They look really nice.

I would have no worries about trusting a real arcade cabinet made by professionals. It's my own woodworking skills that I wouldn't trust to hold a CRT. I'm using an aluminum t-slot frame because it will be strong and stable without any input from me...

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »

For some reason I thought it was only a 32"! Lol

How is that size monitor with vertical games? I have a 33" Showcase monitor needing a new home or something... giving me ideas!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 08:22:08 pm »
I would have no worries about trusting a real arcade cabinet made by professionals. It's my own woodworking skills that I wouldn't trust to hold a CRT. I'm using an aluminum t-slot frame because it will be strong and stable without any input from me...

That's just it, the sides are just 1 piece of 3/4" MDF , the brackets for the monitor are like 1/4" steel pieces. The cab is held together with glue and staples.
If fsflaquer is super worried, he can just run a 2x4 under the TV, then put another one like a post vertically from the base to the cross member; I just think its a bit of overkill.

How is that size monitor with vertical games? I have a 33" Showcase monitor needing a new home or something... giving me ideas!
Honestly, its too big for vertical games, I think a 27" is all you need but hey, make the world's biggest cocktail cab!
No matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites us all.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31