Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: raspberry Pi poweroff options  (Read 356 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
raspberry Pi poweroff options
« on: September 30, 2018, 04:12:09 am »
I didn't realize we had a Pi sub board. I posted a question in the main forum, that I should have posted here. The other thread is here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158411.0.html

This is what I asked:
I've been tinkering with the idea of rebuilding my bartop Defender. If I do, I'll post a small update in Project Announcements.

The problem with it is that I used a PC on the initial build. It worked fine for a couple years, but 1 reboot and it was dead. I'm fairly sure the windows install is corrupt. It was a tight squeeze putting PC guts in it, so this time around I want to do things different. This bartop only plays Defender (doesn't even play Stargate). I want to be able to power off with a lightswitch and not worry about having to reboot it.

• 19-n-1 multigame: disable all games but Defender. I already own a jamma harness and power supply. The 19-n-1 costs less than $50.
  • Raspberry Pi: Launch directly into Defender. I already have a Pi, power supply and encoder.

I'd use the pi, if there is a way to power it off without worrying about corrupting the image. The 19-n-1 is pretty rock solid, but I'd prefer to not shell out the $50. One way or another, I got to get this bartop back in business. Is my Rpi knowledge out of date? Is there a way to power it off abruptly and not worry about corruption? If there isn't, I'm going with the 19-n-1.

Sorry for the cross board post.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
Re: raspberry Pi poweroff options
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:46:02 am »
I'd use the pi, if there is a way to power it off without worrying about corrupting the image.
Del posted one good option here along with a handy cheat-sheet based on this video by ETA Priime.

Retropie add a power button/switch

Scott

barrymossel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
It seems apparent there isnít a fix for dealing with corruption other than to create an easier method to power down.

Appreciate the effort everyone! Iíve learned a lot.

ekinskofer

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 07:39:56 pm »
Hi guys, I too was looking for a way to do this, however, I am also looking for a way to stater/shut down my arcade monitor at the same time. Can I use this power block or the PI to switch a relay that will shut off my monitor or is there an easier way to do this. I'm looking for one switch to do:

1. On - start the PI (or wake it up from sleep), turn on the monitor.
2. Off - shut down the PI (or put it to sleep), and turn off the monitor.

many thanks,
E

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:06 am »
Hi guys, I too was looking for a way to do this, however, I am also looking for a way to stater/shut down my arcade monitor at the same time. Can I use this power block or the PI to switch a relay that will shut off my monitor or is there an easier way to do this. I'm looking for one switch to do:

1. On - start the PI (or wake it up from sleep), turn on the monitor.
2. Off - shut down the PI (or put it to sleep), and turn off the monitor.

many thanks,
E
I tried it with a cheap relay which was switched by the 5V from the RPi (to switch the 230V of the monitor). Worked ok. The RPi was turned on by a Mausberry circuit. Unfortunately the monitor has to be turned on before the RPi in my case, as otherwise the resolution settings are off. So I will keep my (LCD) monitor in standby mode.

thebrokenjoystick

• Offline Offline
  • The cake is a lie
    • My Vogon Poetry
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 02:36:45 pm »
if you're only running one game, couldn't you make the disk readonly? then you wouldn't have to worry about writing to disk - no corruption. Not sure how all the other parts of the system would react to being readonly though. I have a full size tapper that dies and I put in a raspberry pi. i just make sure i shut it down properly.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 02:56:00 pm »
Boot times are what kills the Pi for me.  It's ridiculous.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:34:33 am »
if you're only running one game, couldn't you make the disk readonly? then you wouldn't have to worry about writing to disk - no corruption. Not sure how all the other parts of the system would react to being readonly though. I have a full size tapper that dies and I put in a raspberry pi. i just make sure i shut it down properly.
I believe that would work. Put roms/config on a USB stick then...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31