Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chance's Namco JAMMA Conversion.  (Read 1903 times)

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:54:23 pm
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
Chance's Namco JAMMA Conversion.
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
So, a few months back i stumbled on a Kijiji ad for a Namco Soul Edge vrs 2 cab. The listing said the cab had monitor issues and it was priced to sell. The exploits of this trip can be found here in this thread.  Needless to say i've been sitting on this cab, and it stares at me every time i go through the garage.  Something needs to be done with it so here's the plan: I don't much care for Soul Edge, it's a mid 90's cab with not too much appeal, I need a generic JAMMA cab/Test platform so i'm not going to lose much sleep over the conversion. I also know full well it doesnt fit through the doors of the house, so it's gonna live in the garage or get sold when it's done.

Goals:
-Fix monitor issues
-Convert art package to a generic theme
-Minimize changes to the cab so it can be converted back if needed.

Design steps:
1. Planning, sourcing, materials (DONE!)
2. Mass purchase of materials (DONE!)
3. Pull the SEII board/harness and rewire.
4. Repair the damage to the cabinet structure (In Progress!)
5. Apply the new art package (In Progress!)
6. Repair the monitor with help from Ian Kellogg.
7. Beer & Video games

Current Roadblocks: 2015.Nov.24
-The Canadian Winter.
-Time. :D

The Cabinet

Aside from some utterly terrible character design, the cab has some promise. Its also got a 25" Medium res monitor.

That side art has to go. Even if its being converted back some day its just... BAD. I will however keep the NAMCO logos, and base the rest of the cab's art off of it.

The cab has a couple small blemishes. This corner under the right speaker is blown out. I may fix this, or just leave it. its not noticeable.

One of the really nice things about this cab is the PCB tray that pulls up and out through the control panel. This makes it ideal for a cab where i plan to swap out JAMMA boards. Theres a ton of space inside too, so i could make a bunch of JAMMA adaptors for other titles and store them on the inside.

The cab has these MASSIVE lockdown bars on both the front and back. Those will need to go as well.  This project shouldn't take too long...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:18:00 am by ChanceKJ »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2017, 07:34:34 am
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Chance's Namco JAMMA Project.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:39:40 am »
About those lockdown bars -- if, in your travels, you have come across a local op who still has machines on route, I have found that giving them stuff like this builds good will and can payoff down the line. Tips, early notice of sales, right of first refusal, etc. One of the local ops even took the time to make me a harness and adapter for one of my games for free.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
Re: Chance's Namco JAMMA Project.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:19:00 pm »
Oooo, that's a brilliant idea! I was gonna just chuck them. Thanks man! :D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
Re: Chance's Namco JAMMA Conversion.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:55:03 am »
Back at it...

The monitor and some of the stock artwork has been pulled.

As mentioned before, the monitor makes a clicking sound and doesn't power on. Ian feels its an issue that can be fixed with caps and a new HOT. So we're gonna make that happen soon. This is the really big thing other then the temperature in the garage thats holding this project back.

According to Ian this chassis has been worked on quite a bit before. It's gonna need some love. I mean, i could just swap it out with another one, but where's the fun in that?

One of the control panel hinges has broken off with a chunk of wood, so i need to get the wood glue out and clamp it back into place. I also want to remove the CP top so i can apply some new artwork on it. I pulled the buttons and started work on unscrewing the hinges.

With the sticks and buttons pulled, i gave the metal a quick cleaning with some SimpleGreen, then some isopropyl alcohol.

I designed the artwork to match the large "NAMCO" logos on the side. I don't want to pull them off, and i don't care about this project enough to warrant spending a ton of money and time on making new side art. This will do nicely.

Just to give you an idea of what it should look like when its in place.

I just wanted to point out as well that the artwork was printed out by Brad Bowmen (Lucian045), of Bowman Signs. He's done all my other projects and does a kick ass job not only with the end result but the customer service as well. Brad likes to use "Air release" vinyl for most of his prints, It saves a hell of a lot of time and effort applying artwork. This CPO is also done with a polycarbonate laminate, so its a durable, matte finish. This washes the colours out a bit but it's effectively bomb proof. So much so that i'm not putting the plexi layer back on.

These pictures really don't do this CPO justice, the red on here just pops. It's gonna look really bad ass when i get it all back together. With the CPO trimmed down, and controls cut out i'm ready to move on to the next step.

I'm not really sure on what direction i want to go with the button colours. I bought all red HAPP buttons for this project, but a mix of red and black buttons looks better and helps them stand out more. I tried a few other colours like white and yellow, but nothing else really looked as good. Besides the bat tops I'm using are also black. I really like the red button with the black plunger.  I have more black buttons on the way, so we'll probably go with that.

Thats it for today. Next up i need to pull the old board and harness from the cab, remove those lockdown bars, touch up some black paint, and get the Marquee art installed. A lot of that stuff requires me to be out in the garage, and it's stupid cold outside this week so thats probably gonna have to wait.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:42 pm »
Sweet merciful crap! An update!!

Once i got the sticks cleaned up, i installed them and the buttons. Then i was ready to wire everything up.

I used red 22AWG for the signal, and black 20AWG for the ground. Then i tested all the switches with the multimeter.

Tada!  Control panel done.  Its hard to tell in the picture, but the buttons do stand out and look really good with the art. Red just doesnt show up very well in the pictures.

Via some help with Ian Kellogg over Skype, i started work on the monitor chassis, however it needs more love then i can give it with my limited skill set, so i'm just gonna ship him the boards to be repaired.

Thats all for now. Next is some work on the cabinet.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2017, 07:34:34 am
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:41 pm »
Digging on the button choices.  :applaud:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2019, 03:14:18 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 11:13:20 am »
Your wiring is very neat and impressive, as always.
 :applaud:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
 :cheers: Thanks guys!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:39:50 am »
got the marquee art applied to the glass...

And then installed into the cab...

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2019, 03:14:18 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:04:31 am »
This is coming along very nicely. To bad it's permanently stuck in your garage.

Any news on the monitor chassis?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:57:23 am by Locke141 »

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2018, 04:34:33 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:53:59 am »
Time to buy a new house.

Jeesh, Chance... show some dedication...  ;)

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:59:15 am »
I've sent the Chassis off to Ian, he should be getting it by Thursday. he's a little backed up with work, so it will get back when it gets back.

I'm actually just renting the bottom half of my buddy's place. We've known each other since we were kids, him and his wife own it. The plan in the future is to build a full on arcade in a new place in about a year or so. I've already started planning, etc for this. I've got big plans for that, and if this thing is still around by then i'll make sure it can fit.