Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Canadian Cocktail Cab Project (FINISHED!)  (Read 2838 times)

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:01:06 am
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
Canadian Cocktail Cab Project (FINISHED!)
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:41 am »
Wait...  "CCCP"?! uh-oh...  ;)

Long story short: The other day a friend stopped by my place and spent a couple minutes playing Ms PacMan on that old mysterious cocktail arcade i picked up over the winter. She remarked that she would love it if i ever came across another one of these arcades for her and her husband to put downstairs in the theatre room.  Sure enough the next day i spotted a cocktail going for a decent price on Kijiji. The three of us made plans to check it out today and managed to make a decent deal for both it and a Mega Touch MAXX the owner had. Near as i can tell this was build in Canada and has always been a Pac-Land.  Its not a first party cab, so i don't feel bad about gutting it.

UPDATE: Sept 12th, 2015. FINISHED!

THE PLAN:
For various reasons we we be modifying this to a 60-in-1 with an LCD. I don't feel too bad about this because, as mentioned before its not an original cab, they don't care for the "authentic arcade experience of a CRT", and don't want to have to deal with the CRT the day it eventually dies. Bonus for me, as payment for helping them with this, i get the CRT  ;D.  We need to do a new top surface, recondition/replace the glass, pull the old wiring, and new artwork on the control panels and top under the glass. We'll need to add a second button for each player, and wire it all up for JAMMA.

Features:
-19" LCD
-iCade 60-in-1 (for now, with a possible MAME setup in the future)
-Recondition the Wico sticks, remove the old leaf buttons and replace with 4 new iL buttons
-New set of Groovy Game Gear Dominux 8 sticks, Octo restriction, White ball tops.
-Sets of White Groovy Game Gear CLASSX buttons with True-Leaf switches.
-Possibly LED lighting
-new arcade top, artwork, and new control panel art. My buddy is an automotive painter, so he's going to handle that.
-Add an inline power switch. oddly enough this cab has fuses, but no on/off switch. I'm gonna change that.

What We're Working With:

Far as i can tell this was a Canadian made cocktail.It has robertson head screws for all of its construction, and a little sticker on the inside of the coin door that reads "Vendall Machines Ltd. 110 Isabella St. Ottawa, Ontario".  It has a pretty decent shape 19" GO7 arcade monitor, "Namco-Galaga" wiring, and a mint Bally Midway Pac-Land PCB inside.

The machine is quite dirty inside but working, and lets be honest: Pac-Land sucks. They want to be able to play more then just a bunch of old B/M titles.

This Pac-Land board has got to go. Its MINT. So i' curious of how much it will fetch on the open market.

The coin door is a little worse for wear, but i've seen one more beat up than this. Some SimpleGreen and a bit of elbow grease will fix that.  Someone has added a "coin-up" button too. Keys are still in it and there's even an extra copy of the original side panel key screwed down inside the coin box. Canadian's, We think of everything.  ;D

As you can see the coin mechs are missing. Possibly in part as to why theres a coin-up switch thats been added. I'm gonna see what i can do about getting those "25cent" windows to light up too.

The Build:

For starters i pulled apart the two control panels, pulled off the table top, and sent them home with my friends. He's gonna take care of building a new top, installing the monitor, refinishing the CP's and painting new art on everything.

After that i pulled the GO7 out of the cab. This will be a spare CRT, or display for a future project. It has minor burn in, but all in all it's in good shape.

Thats all i really want to work on it for today. Next I'll clean it, pull out all the old wiring, and sell off this Pac-Land board.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:51:24 am by ChanceKJ »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:37 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Canadian Cocktail Cab Project
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:46:27 am »
I have nothing to add except that Pac-Land is a lot better game than you give it credit for.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:51 am »
Ok, put your money where your mouth is and buy the board for a fair price.

Nephasth

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:44 am »

$15 (Canadian) shipped.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:39:56 am »
Haha, yeah see. Not really a good game when the shipping will cost more then the asking price.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:26 am »

I would if

a) I had a cab for it

b) you didn't live in a foreign country where shipping was going to gouge me

c) you weren't expecting a ton for it because it's MINT!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:52:13 am »
Excuses, excuses. :P

I'm not expecting more or less for it by saying "mint". Just describing the condition. be honest, this game is a poor attempt to compete with SMB.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:56:05 am »
Excuses, excuses. :P

I'm not expecting more or less for it by saying "mint". Just describing the condition. be honest, this game is a poor attempt to compete with SMB.

I will admit to wearing rose-colored glasses when it come to this game, but you're not helping your asking price by describing the game as "sucks".  :cheers:

If it doesn't sell by ZapCon, bring it with you and we'll talk price.  ;D

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:57:08 am »
Deal.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »
Deal.

Actually, check KLOV. Looks like you might have a buyer.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:16 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »
Strange, I don't think I've seen many Midway cocktails with a horizontally mounted monitor. Is this even an official Midway cocktail?

Though, I'm sad to read that you're going with an LCD for this thing. IMHO this might also be a bit of a hassle because I'd be worried about viewing angles a lot more on a cocktail cabinet --due to the positions and angles people sit at on either side.  I guess try to be cognizant of what LCD you're using and find one that has a wide viewing angle on the left and right sides.
I don't want to start up the age-old CRT vs. LCD debate, but your reasoning for "not having to deal with it when it dies" is interesting since CRT's are a hellava lot easier to repair than LCD's. I know, I know, you could just replace the eventual malfunctioning LCD with another one since they're readily available...but that isn't a very green solution. Mind, you are going to reuse that CRT for another project, so I guess I'll just shut my tree-hugging mouth up. I was just thinking about the spirit of Canadian values and the avoidance of waste, balance with the environment, keeping our country beautiful...etc...but who the hell knows what are values are with this POS Conservative government shaking up the core of what it means to be Canadian these days.

ok, /rant.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
 :applaud: hahaha, I appreciate the rant.

It's not an original midway. It's definitely a Canadian made clone. So I don't feel bad about.

I can see your point of view. (Both of them, as we now have this strange thing they call the NDP...)  but it's what they want. :)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:16 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 03:09:08 pm »
It's not an original midway. It's definitely a Canadian made clone. So I don't feel bad about.
Yeah totally. Still kinda neat to have a midway style cabinet with a horizontal monitor, which is why if it were me, I'd consider keeping this one for myself, leaving the monitor the way it is and throw in some cocktail-friendly (image flip-able) horizontal games into it. Gradius immediately comes to mind. :)

I can see your point of view. (Both of them, as we now have this strange thing they call the NDP...)  but it's what they want. :)
I'd take the Orange over Blue any day.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:24:29 pm »
Off the top of my head, I know Tapper came in a Midway cocktail using a horizontal monitor.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »
Yeah I was really shocked of the lack of Horizontal cocktails when I went looking for what it was based on only the kijiji add pictures. By the look of it it seemed to be a midway, with a replaced top, and no piano hinge on the back. Which was perplexing to say the least.  Mind you, my other cocktail has a horizontal 13" G07 in it. ...what is it with me and finding these strange, non-conformist arcade cabs??

I'd take the Orange over Blue any day.

You and me both. ;)

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
Update!

The cab has been gutted, cleaned, and prepped for install.

Oddly enough this thing had no power switch, so i decided to add one...

I built the panel for it out of some spare smoked plastic, we might be adding some attract lighting to this thing later and i was just planning ahead in case.

Then i mounted the panel into the cab. I'll wire this up later.

My buddy's working on a new top. As mentioned before this will belong to him and his wife. They're pretty sure this won't be the only one they want.

He's an automotive painter, so i've let him tackle the style and overall look he'd like.

He also polished down the control panels.

Then he drilled a couple extra holes for an extra button on each side and primed the panels for paint.

Back on my side of things i really think these parts containers make rebuilds like a bit of a game, as i'm putting parts back into the machine it's quite satisfying pulling off all the masking tape labels. kinda like reverse bingo.

Next i turned my attention to the coin door.

After removing all the parts, i soaked everything in SimpleGreen, then gave it all a good scrub.

These old grills too. they're pretty beaten up, but i'll do my best.

Next i moved everything to the garage to blast it first with a matte black base coat.

Then a few coats of hammer black ;D  I made sure to get all the CP bolts as well.

As that was drying i cleaned and polished the internals of the coin door as best i could.

I kept the inside of the coin door matte black, and when it was done drying (with a few days of curing) i reinstalled all the parts. I also reattached the "Vendall" sticker. just cause :)

After that was finished i remounted it back into the cab. A couple of small dents still remain, but it looks a world better then it did before.

Thats it for now. The 60-in-1 and JAMMA harness are on the way. I'm gonna tackle the control panels soon, then wire it all up.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:48 pm »
Small update!

The reproduction top is done. and monitor is mounted.

The top was painted with a Dark Blue gloss with a bit of fleck, and a couple large white striped (he's an automotive guy remember)  :laugh:

Control panels have been painted as well.  Nothing crazy, kinda unconventional, but they like it, and so do I.   :D

Also, the 60-in-1 also showed up in the mail, i'm still missing the JAMMA harness, but thats on the way.

Arcade sticks and buttons should be here any day from GGG as well!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2019, 01:02:20 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:34 pm »
Looking good Chance!!
I have to say that I think that power switch would look better if you put the plexi plate on the outside, maybe light it with a dim led, when the machine is off. (Off you say?)
Or maybe light it red when its off, and green when its on.
But thats just me.
You are doing a great job man!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 11:24:32 pm »
 :cheers:  thanks!  Putting it on the outside was the original idea, but due to a small child in the house we needed to "hide" the switch against the wall by recessing it into the cab.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2019, 01:02:20 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »
:cheers:  thanks!  Putting it on the outside was the original idea, but due to a small child in the house we needed to "hide" the switch against the wall by recessing it into the cab.

Understood. Its been quite a while since I had to worry about young explorers, but I do remember. I miss those days sometimes though.
Enjoy them now. They grow up, but the joy stays forever, it just changes, and gets better.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »
Haha, not my kid. My buddy's. Just to set the record straight: the world doesn't need any more of me.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 11:46:12 pm »
Haha, not my kid. My buddy's. Just to set the record straight: the world doesn't need any more of me.

I HEARD DAT!!!! :afro:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 05:38:59 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 11:58:38 pm »
Just to set the record straight: the world doesn't need any more of me.

What are you talking about? There are already dozens of your Flynn clones out in the world already. ;)
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 07:39:59 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:14 am »
Just to set the record straight: the world doesn't need any more of me.

What are you talking about? There are already dozens of your Flynn clones out in the world already. ;)

Dude I just repped you so hard right meow.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 09:10:24 pm »
Ok, large update...

Got the 120v wired up for the monitor.

Also, some new bits came in from Groovy Game Gear. a pair of Dominux 8's with white ball tops, and four CLASSX buttons with True-Leaf Pro switches. Also a Jamma Harness.

Heres a better look at the finish Cody put on the top, It's pretty cool actually.  The glass is still all beat to hell, but that will be for another time.

Heres also a good look at what the control panels should look like once populated. I need to do something with those joystick bolts, not sure if i should polish them to a shine, put them in the tumbler for a week, or paint them hammered black to match the others.

I'm really digging the white here. Seriously, this is one of those things where the pics don't do it justice.

Next i'll get to rebuilding everything, making that JAMMA harness my ---smurfette---,  and soon we'll be done.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 03:53:08 am »
quick update,

Better look at the shiny cp's

I'm not a huge fan of these P1/2 buttons, but i didn't have anything else i like better, so whatever. :)

I also spent at least an hour and a half making this JAMMA harness my ---smurfette---. I had to relocate the PCB also, this will make for a better wire layout.

Next steps: I need to clean up and connect everything. I have a bunch of the CP bolts running in the tumbler with a few other parts from my DK cab. I'll pull those out an possibly get to work on this tomorrow. Home stretch here people!

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2019, 08:37:24 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 02:26:13 pm »
Nice and clean, I hope they appreciate all the work

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 03:06:10 pm »
Those P1/P2 buttons are Midway authentic. They look fine to me. The lack of CP graphics makes those buttons an issue more than anything.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Calgary, Ab, Canada.
    • The Canadian Arcade!
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 03:46:07 am »
Wow, what a crazy few days, ok, home stretch here folks.

Hit a bunch of the CP bolts with a coat of black primer, then a large helping of hammered black and let it sit for a few days to cure.

Started the process of wiring up the CP's. Used solder and heat shrink where applicable.  Left some slack for future conversions.

A quick initial test of the monitor and the 60-in-1. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Finished installing the Dominux 8's and the CLASSX Buttons, made sure it all worked and tested with the multimeter. :)

Next, i ran a VGA cord, and some power for the LCD. made sure to keep it clean with some helpings of velcro tape.

Cody (Now here on the BYOAC as "Cody84") had to help me install the table top. A few modifications need to be done to it for fine tuning purposes, but other then that it works like a glove.

Here you can see just how the monitor and everything looks from the inside. Quite happy with this actually. A 19" LCD is PLENTY big for these old vertical classics. He needs to add an SLG Mini, Just for effect.

And thats a wrap! Cody still needs to order in lockdowns for the top, but those will be on his net order, He can do that himself :)

This was a crazy fun little conversion project. We even spent some time with his 4 year old daughter educating her on some of the games. This cabinet will now become hers. And her parents are each about to start a project of their own. :)

Also, we played a couple quick rounds on DK, and Cody's not doing too bad for a first timer. Oddly when you reset the power on the 60-in-1 it drops the initials for the high scores but keeps the scores. I set a quick benchmark of 55500 for him to practice against, we tweaked the cabinet settings and i showed him how all the dip switches work to adjust settings, then we played a few more games of DK and i gave him some playing tips.

he's getting better, Fast. ;D

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2019, 09:20:54 am
Re: Canadian Cocktail Cab Project (FINISHED!)
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 05:45:30 am »
Nice job! Another really clean wiring job.  :applaud:

I imagine that fleck really pops in person.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 05:38:59 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 10:58:03 am »
I like the fusion of new and old. The more modern look of the top pain job combined with the vintage look of the wood paneling on the sides.

Nice work chance!   :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:46 pm
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »
That's really beautiful! Paint reminds me of the vinyl seats at this "old" diner nearby!