Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcanomicon 1.1 is coming!  (Read 1604 times)

Evil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2007, 11:12:30 am
  • Gorf froG
    • Eternal Dusk
Arcanomicon 1.1 is coming!
« on: December 14, 2003, 04:41:49 pm »
Hi guys!  There have been some kick-butt projects here recently, and I've been inspired to re-visit mine and fix the little things that have been annoying me.

My stepfather and I originally built this thing about a year and a half ago, and learned a *lot* along the way (oh what we wouldn't do differently...).  I'm about to embark on some changes/updates and will try to document everything I should have documented the first time on my web site.

I have a question that someone here might be able to answer off the top of their heads:  Anyone know who created that image I used as the background of my marquee?  I snagged it off the web, modified the coloring, and threw the title on top of it a lonnnng while back.  I think it was originally supposed to be art for a control panel or something.  If anyone can let me know where it originally came from so that I can give credit where credit is due, I'd appreciate it.

One of the first, major things, I want to fix is the sound.  The right channel isn't working.  :(  On the top picture, you will notice the black control knobs up by left speaker.  One's for on/volume, and the other two are treble/bass.  There's also a subwoofer in the cabinet.  The failing part is this SOB:

And... of course I can't get another.  This one was cannibalized from some ancient  Altec-Lansing PC speakers.

We'll probably mount some knew knobs through the existing openings and run them to another amp, but we just started talking about it yesterday and haven't had time to scope out the details yet.

Evil

• Offline Offline
  • Gorf froG
    • Eternal Dusk
Re:Arcanomicon 1.1 is coming!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 05:54:47 pm »
Oh yeah... most of those smudges in the first pic are actually reflections (the panel and bezel are practically mirror-like), but it's also very hard to keep fingerprints off this thing when everything's covered in Lexan and you have playtesters like these:

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure if I'd cover the CP with anything shiny.
:)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 06:14:45 pm by Evil »

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 08:42:15 pm »
Not to knock it or anything coz it's a great job, but one of the "little" things that would annoy me would be that screen size dude.

Evil

• Offline Offline
  • Gorf froG
    • Eternal Dusk
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 09:52:03 pm »
I can't disagree, though it probably looks smaller than it is because the cabinet is so huge.

The current monitor is 18 inches viewable, but I designed the cabinet with a 25" in mind.  After I get the motherboard upgraded to something a bit faster, I want to shove a high-end ATI card in there with TV-outs and get a television in its place.

I did originally have a 20" NEC Multisync monitor in it, but it was an old junker when I started and after a year it gave up the ghost.

(old pic:)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 07:24:22 am by Evil »