Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1 and 2 Player Start Button Icon or Graphics needed  (Read 6536 times)

gessi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2017, 09:09:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
1 and 2 Player Start Button Icon or Graphics needed
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »
Hello,

I was looking around to find some Clipart or icon for creating an inlay for my transparent illuminated Start Buttons. Could find any...

Can someone help me out possible with some printing advice for the paper or plastic underground for the button inlay?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:56:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: 1 and 2 Player Start Button Icon or Graphics needed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »
Avery 18665 or 8665 (different quantity packs) adhesive labels are easy to work with and look great backlit.

Regular printer paper will show the fibers in the paper.  :puke

The label adheres to the diffuser. (2nd from right)

If the diffuser turns easily, you may need to use a TINY bit of gel-type superglue to attach the diffuser to the plunger (white part in pic) -- warning tale here of what happens if you don't let the superglue cure fully before assembling the buttons.

You can download a printable PDF here with my latest version inserts.

If you want different inserts, I can also e-mail you the original PowerPoint and/or source files.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:42:37 pm by PL1 »

gessi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2017, 09:09:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:02 am »
Thanks a lot! Really helpful answer ;-)

Can you help me with the source Icons for the Player? I am based from Europe and would create some coins (EURO) myself...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:56:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:16 pm »
These will need to be resized, but here are the button insert image files.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:56:14 pm by PL1 »

rabidpuppy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2015, 06:30:56 am
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:30:18 am »
Thanks for the info in this thread.

I struggled to find the Avery 18665/8665 in Australia and eventually just got this from ebay for a whole AUD$6.05 delivered:

"7 x A4 CLEAR INKJET PRINTER TRANSPARENCY FILM SHEETS TRANSPARENT ADHESIVE LABELS" (eBay item number: 360473271273)

I wasted one by printing on the wrong side, and another by not using the correct settings on my elderly Epson RX650 (had to turn off high speed bi-directional printing).  The adhesive appears to be like what you'd get on vinyl decals, so you have some leeway to lift it off and adjust placement. 

As you can see from the gallery link below these buttons have notches in the plunger so the diffuser doesn't move.  I have a different variety of buttons e.g. white/coloured/chrome bezel, with either white/coloured led and/or clear/coloured cap.  I decided on just plain black images with any colour combos, and coloured images work best with white/white/clear. You can see one of the first buttons with Mario is all washed out yellow.  That is actually a white led, white diffuser, clear button cap, it is just the bezel that's yellow.  Looked great until turned on the led, made it all yellow. Yurk.

The results seem okay for me.  These are just some experiments:

http://imgur.com/a/KclEY

Would love to see some gallery's / links to others for inspiration.   Some of the images turned out a bit pixelated so may change them or just accept them as being retro.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:36:53 am by rabidpuppy »