Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first build: "Mimic"  (Read 29582 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:02:19 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: My first build: "Mimic"
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2021, 07:44:05 am »
Always love this build, glad to see it getting bumped.  I reference this a lot as a good use of an LCD, personally I think its the best use case.  You get the full bezels and proper screen sizes for the games switching from 19 and 25.

Cool use of the mirrors Laythe, very creative.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:40:34 pm
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2021, 02:16:35 pm »
Always love this build, glad to see it getting bumped.  I reference this a lot as a good use of an LCD, personally I think its the best use case.  You get the full bezels and proper screen sizes for the games switching from 19 and 25.

Agreed.  I'm getting close to finally building a 2P upright and this project will be one that I reference when the time comes.  The creative use of the monitor is what really sets it apart, IMO.  I just need to figure out a side profile that isn't too big...

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:45:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2021, 10:39:47 pm »
Wow! This is a really nice piece of work. Great thinking outside the box using a portion of the TV screen to fill the entire screen area. If you are the first to come up with that idea, then genius! If not, then at the very least it an awesome implementation of it!

I really like the mirrors idea making it look like a row of machines.Nice little play space there.

Cheers!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:49 pm
« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 02:56:40 pm »
Yeah I've got a Mame cab that uses a vertical 50" TV and I created a 1080x1080 viewable profile in the Nvidia driver.  I started it in 2014 and I copied the design from someone else.  I never finished the artwork which has kept the project from finishing although the cab is playable.  It also has a 21:9 marquee monitor.  This one looks really nice though.  I like the thin profile.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:29:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #124 on: Today at 06:19:09 am »
Like most people here,i love reading build threads,and this one really has it all.
Really helpful forbeginners like myself.And what a great ending. :applaud:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:09:46 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #125 on: Today at 03:25:40 pm »
Thanks, vertexguy, emphatic, markc74, javeryh, mgb, Mike A, XSFDriver, circusfreak, Gilrock and lomoverde! 

There were a couple things that I wanted to respond to in particular...

It also has a 21:9 marquee monitor.

I wanted to clarify here in case of confusion that mine isn't a 21:9 marquee.   It's a LG M2900S, and it's wider and shorter than that.  (It'd be a 25.6:9 if you were using that notation.)  So if you're eyeballing it and thinking of using a 21:9 in a design, be aware that it'll end up 21% taller than this marquee is. 

Great thinking outside the box using a portion of the TV screen to fill the entire screen area. If you are the first to come up with that idea, then genius!

This is an interesting question.

I think that Maximus's Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution v2 was the first build here to go oversize vertical - least, the first one I could find.  I thought that he didn't mask off the ends to show a square, and exposed the whole screen, but on review of the thread I see he went back and added masking later on.  I suspect this is the 2014 machine that Gilrock mentioned that he got the idea from, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I had thought that Token's Moonshot and I might have been the first to do masked portrait builds here that only show the center square...  Token's thread predates mine by a couple months because he was posting while he was building whereas I didn't want to post until I knew mine would get finished and work correctly, so I only started my thread at the very end of my build - but we were building at the same time, and had the idea independent of one another.

But, it looks to me like Maximus gets the credit for invention there. 

As a five year ownership update... I'm still made happy by Mimic every time I play with it, which I still do pretty frequently.  I wouldn't change much if I were building it over again - I might have gone with a real coin door converted to coin buttons like Shapeshifter has, which would require a slightly wider center column.  I also might have gone with a removable interior-latched control panel in addition to that removable access panel below it that I used - but those are pretty minor revisions.

The illuminated balltops have held up well.  If you use a wire slip ring under the sticks and high quality teflon insulated wires to the joystick tip LEDs, it seems to be a valid long term thing.  I've had to replace microswitches in the joysticks quite a few times, but that's been about it for stuff wearing out.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:46:16 pm by Laythe »