Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: hang on - accelerator cable needed  (Read 1914 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
hang on - accelerator cable needed
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »
hey guys,

i'm trying to fix a motorcycle assembly and am in need of an accelerator cable.  thing is, i'm not sure if this controller is from hang on, super hang on, or some other sega motorcycle game.  the below link looks like the assembly inside my controller but the longer accelerator cable on this unit, the end that sticks out has a right angle curve where as mine is just the cable end that goes into the lower case housing that wraps around the handlebar.

http://www.arcadefixit.com/product.sc?productId=612&categoryId=68

any help?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2024, 04:08:04 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
hang on - accelerator cable needed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
If you just need the cable get it from amazon. I got mine that way- much cheaper. Or autozone. Shouldn't be more than 25 bux

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
Re: hang on - accelerator cable needed
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »
might i trouble you for a link lechuck?  i did a quick search and have no idea what i should be looking under

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »
     Enduro racer uses the same cable.... http://arcadefixit.com/category.sc?categoryId=69

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »
appreciate the feedback but the pick of those cables don't look like it would work.

if you check the link in my post, my cables are connected to the inside arms/gears as shown; with that right angle connector that's pictured.  the cables have those heads on them and no way it will fit thru the right angle connector.

still open to suggestions!  :)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:31 am »
    I guess Jen doesnt understand what your saying, The control box on your link is the same thing as the control box on my link,(minus the cables)....Edit, Its the curved pipe ends your talking about right? Ok, now I get it. Suzo Happ may have them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:55:33 am by jennifer »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:20:27 am »
yeah, sorry.  Those are standard brake cables.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-02-0352-Black-Vinyl/dp/B000OO2NZC/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375593405&sr=1-14&keywords=brake+cable

search brake cable and look for ends that are close, or buy one of the cables that comes with a pack of ends.  If you take the cable to a bike shop or to an auto store they can probably give you a like replacement right off the wall.  There is nothing special about those cables.  Super Hang On has a twist cable for the throttle, rather than than a pull.  The cable rotates inside the sleeve, trickier to find.  I'm thinking about converting mine over to pull cables as it's how all throttles (analog not digital ones) are built anyway. 

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
thank you both for the input!

i do have a local bike shop and thought of them but how would that attached end for the pull cable fit thru those curved pipe ends?

ah well, i have enough to try something now, thank you both for your input.

tony

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:12:14 pm »
You can get adjustable ones where the end has a grub/set screw.  That way you can trim the cable to length.  Once you do it the first time you'll realize how easy it is. 

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:28 pm »
i just did it and you're right, painfully simple.  my accelerator works beautifully now, thank you both for your input.

i am having an issue with the left right though and i can not figure it out.  i completely disassembled the controller to clean and paint it.  after putting it back together, turning left/right is "sticky", meaning it isn't very smooth.  if i loosen the two main bolts that hold it together it turns easier but i don't remember those bolts being loose when i first took it apart.

can anyone confirm is there was some grease in there to help the left/right movement that maybe i removed when i cleaned it up?

thanks again lechuck,

tony

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 03:43:45 pm »
Without knowing exactly what unit you have it'd be hard to say for sure but my SHO frame has gobs of grease seemingly everywhere on it, so yeah, if it's been stripped it could probably due with some lube. 

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:03 pm »
was about o edit my post, found the issue.  during the re-assemble, i had two left over washers which i found where they go, over the two main posts inside the unit.  this keeps the inside from grinding.

stupid me, all good!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »
    If you dissassembled that thing, painted it and put it back together (only forgetting 2 washers) I am totally impressed... That is a very complex cp, Basicly 3 spring loaded plates all working together.

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
    • my baby
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:01 am »
sorta impressed myself even but thanks for the kind words.  i *just finished my proof of concept with the hang-on controller, check the link in my sig for an update to my cab.

slyskyspy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2024, 06:15:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2024, 09:16:50 am »
Hi! I have the same issue with my accelerator cable broken on a Super Hang on cab. How did you fix it?

Many thanks!
Alex

i just did it and you're right, painfully simple.  my accelerator works beautifully now, thank you both for your input.

i am having an issue with the left right though and i can not figure it out.  i completely disassembled the controller to clean and paint it.  after putting it back together, turning left/right is "sticky", meaning it isn't very smooth.  if i loosen the two main bolts that hold it together it turns easier but i don't remember those bolts being loose when i first took it apart.

can anyone confirm is there was some grease in there to help the left/right movement that maybe i removed when i cleaned it up?

thanks again lechuck,

tony