Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OpenJamma board - interest?  (Read 40668 times)

sharpfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
Re: Re: OpenJamma board - interest?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
So I'd say more specific and thus better question would be: can this thing do better than, say GP2X, and can we see some videos of it
Agreed.  Video please.

SIII + Cyanogen + Tapatalk 2

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2013, 03:23:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: OpenJamma board - interest?
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »
It will be based off a single core  Cortex-A8 cpu for the initial run, although we do have the option for dualcore later (as there is a dual core pin compatible chip available).
RAM will be 1G

What clock speed? What GPU? Is that same hardware maybe used by some already existing device or SoC?

Can it emulate Out Run at full speed? No frame skipping or audio glitches? How about Gyruss or Donkey Kong?

I've never even said the M word, and its not actually something I'd use anyway.

M word... not something you would use, as if there is any other choice? Are you saying there will be no support for classic arcades like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man?
This user is driverman. Permanent probationary status contingent upon following forum rules of decorum. --- saint

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
I think this is a great idea.  Long overdue IMHO.

What about ArcadeSD? That's been around for a while.
This user is driverman. Permanent probationary status contingent upon following forum rules of decorum. --- saint

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »
+1 for a stereo/dual mono line level output.

As it will be running Linux, will this mean that GroovyMAME (based on ArchLinux) can be ported to this platform? Also, Yo-Yo games are apparently working on a Linux version of GameMaker: http://www.yoyogames.com/news/65 which would be awesome to have supported.

There is one important difference between embedded and desktop Linux. You can port anything from one to another, and the other way around, all except drivers, most importantly video drivers. So while you could port GrovyMAME the most important part pertaining to desktop video hardware (ATI/Nvidia) would need to be rewritten and adjusted to suit that specific GPU and its video driver on that particular board. Therefore the first and most important question is what graphic chip and what video drivers are on this board.

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
Oh, and for the frontend, please make it somewhat easy to create skins/themes for. If the resources are just a couple of .png files for example, like in AdvanceMenu. I'd love to be able to skin it, and I'm sure there will be many more people interested in doing that too.

Why not simply use a PC with JAMMA fingerboard, like this:

...then all you need to do is connect some dozen wires and you get what you want, and much more, for much less than any board like this could be. Why don't you simply build your own arcade controls, like the title of this forum suggests? And if instead of soldering connectors there were screws, then making JAMMA interface would be as easy as connecting USB adapter such as I-PAC.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:03 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »
Oh, and for the frontend, please make it somewhat easy to create skins/themes for. If the resources are just a couple of .png files for example, like in AdvanceMenu. I'd love to be able to skin it, and I'm sure there will be many more people interested in doing that too.

Why not simply use a PC with JAMMA fingerboard, like this:

...then all you need to do is connect some dozen wires and you get what you want, and much more, for much less than any board like this could be. Why don't you simply build your own arcade controls, like the title of this forum suggests? And if instead of soldering connectors there were screws, then making JAMMA interface would be as easy as connecting USB adapter such as I-PAC.

I was referring to the graphical user interface of the OpenJAMMA. I know how to hook up a PC to my cabinets, I just hate PC's. If you're going to quote someone, please read the quotes too or you will annoy the hell out of people.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:55:08 pm by emphatic »

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:44 pm »
I was referring to the graphical user interface of the OpenJAMMA. I know how to hook up a PC to my cabinets, I just hate PC's. If you're going to quote someone, please read the quotes too or you will annoy the hell out of people.

Yes, graphical user interface, and everything else. Why do you even think this guy is writing any user interfaces? At best you'll be able to run the same emulators you can find on GP2X handheld, but the question is still how well those emulators actually run on this particular board we know almost nothing about.

So you would prefer worse and more expensive hardware with older emulators just because you hate PC? And what is it you hate? Do you think any of it would be better with this board? Like more options, easier to configure, more games running at full speed? What, for example?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »
Yes, graphical user interface, and everything else. Why do you even think this guy is writing any user interfaces? At best you'll be able to run the same emulators you can find on GP2X handheld, but the question is still how well those emulators actually run on this particular board we know almost nothing about.

I tend to stay positive until I know not to be. You're right, we can only speculate at this point.

So you would prefer worse and more expensive hardware with older emulators just because you hate PC? And what is it you hate? Do you think any of it would be better with this board? Like more options, easier to configure, more games running at full speed? What, for example?

I like hardware that's complete out of the box. I either play on arcade PCBs or on consoles, as I hate configuring emulators. Also, PCs take up way too much space inside an arcade cabinet, and there are way too many expensive peripherals needed - amplifier, JAMMA interface, video card.

The OpenJAMMA, I want to put games on there, then play them. That's it. As long as the games I want to play run well, I'm happy. The list of games I want to play that I don't already own on original hardware or ported to console is pretty short, so whether I'll be buying this or not is not based on how many games will run perfectly, it's based on the few it'll run perfectly and if they fit into the holes in my small collection.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:19:47 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
:blah:  :blah:
Congrats on doubling the number of threads you've posted in / number of threads you've been unpleasant in.  This is now TWO things that arent even out yet that you say suck. I mean *I* get it, you arent interested, why not just let the rest of us be excited?

slight edit by saint
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:22:38 am by saint »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 12:18:30 pm
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »
if u can get sfiii to work on it then i am in

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
:blah:  :blah:
Congrats on doubling the number of threads you've posted in / number of threads you've been unpleasant in.  This is now TWO things that arent even out yet that you say suck. I mean *I* get it, you arent interested, why not just let the rest of us be excited?

slight edit by saint

I've been trying to find the right words to say this, turns out this is exactly how I feel  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:22:52 am by saint »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »
1. He's loudly complaining in a thread by shanghaiguide
2. He's posting in the GroovyMAME section
3. He's comparing stuff to Android

Could it be... DRIVER-MAN?  :laugh2:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »
1. He's loudly complaining in a thread by shanghaiguide
2. He's posting in the GroovyMAME section
3. He's comparing stuff to Android

Could it be... DRIVER-MAN?  :laugh2:

Like a bad penny

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »
Video's - will do some at end of the month

Its vacation at the moment, and I have to go work in Bangkok for a week immediately after CNY (yes, its a hellish life I lead  :angel: )

UI wise - I'm busy trying to port WahCade to SDL.
GroovyMAME is a x64 distribution, so thats not getting ported!  Relevant programs from there will be though.

AdvanceMenu is fine (got that running already without any headaches).

Things I have done so far this week - setup a working repo and stuck some software in there to make sure that I can apt-get install stuff, so updates etc work.

So far, so good though.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide. Most of us regulars are interested.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide. Most of us regulars are interested.

+1

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:15 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide.Us normal people are interested.

FTFY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:49 am »
Video's - will do some at end of the month

Its vacation at the moment, and I have to go work in Bangkok for a week immediately after CNY (yes, its a hellish life I lead  :angel: )

UI wise - I'm busy trying to port WahCade to SDL.
GroovyMAME is a x64 distribution, so thats not getting ported!  Relevant programs from there will be though.

AdvanceMenu is fine (got that running already without any headaches).

Things I have done so far this week - setup a working repo and stuck some software in there to make sure that I can apt-get install stuff, so updates etc work.

So far, so good though.

I'd be interested in porting some material, mostly stand alone nix games to the platform. It seems as if you are mostly dependent on SDL for your main porting. Are there any must have dependencies to the platform?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 09:19:48 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide.Us normal people are interested.

FTFY

Thank you for that correction, my friend.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
 :cheers:

n0rtygames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2013, 10:54:16 pm
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »
+1 for interest. Registered just to say that!

I was pointed here by Emphatic. As I'm currently using xblig (xbox indie games) as a means to get my home made vertical shmups out there, actually having something to play around with that's a little more "real" is a very exciting prospect indeed - as I don't have room for a cabinet here and have been categorically told that I'm not allowed to even start that project by the lady! Please do keep up the good work :)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »
Cool. I was wondering about this. I really wanted to go JAMMA in my next project but found it hard to justify based on the games I enjoy. This may change that, especially if you can stick to that price point.

I read some of the suggestions (3D Glasses support?) but I'd be happy with it being fully programmable (not limited to certain games), vertical and horizontal support and hopefully in the future, analog control support.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:14 am »
While I am still on a semi working vacation (in Thailand, yay!), I can spoon feed you some more info ;)

I'd be interested in porting some material, mostly stand alone nix games to the platform. It seems as if you are mostly dependent on SDL for your main porting. Are there any must have dependencies to the platform?

Right now, no.

Only real thing to watch out for is its armhf (hard floating point), so compiled apps need to run on that abi.

I'm still contemplating just using SDL on framebuffer, but it looks like i'm fighting a losing battle, so will probably be X11 based despite my non-love for it.

I've looked at the 4 player hirose connectors - total with those is about 64 i/o's in use, which I don't have spare (even with multiplexing). I'm looking at various options for that - eg i2c or similar or worst case - usb.

Its doable, but still looking at how we can integrate it.

I read some of the suggestions (3D Glasses support?) but I'd be happy with it being fully programmable (not limited to certain games), vertical and horizontal support and hopefully in the future, analog control support.

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine, 2005 and newer
not really likely in version #1

Vertical and horizontal isn't a problem, analog support still looking at.   I'd like to do it, but can't confirm that yet.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:37 am »
+1 for interest. Registered just to say that!

I was pointed here by Emphatic. As I'm currently using xblig (xbox indie games) as a means to get my home made vertical shmups out there, actually having something to play around with that's a little more "real" is a very exciting prospect indeed - as I don't have room for a cabinet here and have been categorically told that I'm not allowed to even start that project by the lady! Please do keep up the good work :)

Hi!  :cheers:

bluemini17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2014, 10:26:11 am
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 01:04:22 pm »
just read the whole thread,

+1 for my support

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »
+1.

BC_Jeffro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2020, 04:55:23 pm
  • you can never leave the game!
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »
watching with interest  ;D

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »
Only real thing to watch out for is its armhf (hard floating point), so compiled apps need to run on that abi.

I'm still contemplating just using SDL on framebuffer, but it looks like i'm fighting a losing battle, so will probably be X11 based despite my non-love for it.

So, what board is that, where did you get it? Who makes it? What GPU it has? Can you post a photo of it?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:59 pm »
^ nice sig saint.

Driveman, don't you have your own forum full of alter egos to entertain?  Why the beef? You're not impressing anyone.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
While I am still on a semi working vacation (in Thailand, yay!), I can spoon feed you some more info ;)

Right now, no.

You have definitely sparked my curiosity. Please let me know when the units are available, some of the games i was thinking of porting are SDL as well.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 12:18:27 am »

I have a right to ask for features Id want to buy.

I also have a right to complain about things that Suck.

It seems you Love to complain about every post I make.   Do you really Love me that much?

Why dont you complain about the ridiculous poster thats hating on ET?  lol

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine,

3d glasses dont have to be included.  There are many out there that can still be found easily.  The most basic, only require 3 wires.

Continental Circus  1997  (lcd glasses)
 SubRoc-3D    1982   (lcd glasses)

Thunder Ceptor II
 Wyvern F-0  (dual monitors with mirror)

Virtuality  (3d head mount display arcade games)

Dactyl Nightmare
    Grid Busters
    Hero
    Legend Quest
    VTOL
    Battlesphere
    Exorex
    Total Destruction
    Dactyl Nightmare 2
    Zone Hunter
    Pac-Man VR.

There are others, but I cant remember them.  Some of these use dual monitors with a half silvered mirror, or a viewfinder style device.  Such games could probably be hacked for LCD glasses use.

Stereo 3D could also be used for game cabinet artwork.. such as seeing depth in Discs of Tron or Asteroids Deluxe Artwork Layers... If someone actually ported a 3d environment..

** Consoles **

Sega Master System

Blade Eagle 3-D
    Line of Fire (hold buttons 1 and 2 while switching the system on for 3-D mode)
    Maze Hunter 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D (also requires the Light Phaser gun)
    OutRun 3-D
    Poseidon Wars 3-D
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Zaxxon 3-D

NES

Attack Animal Gakuen
    Cosmic Epsilon
    Falsion
    Famicom Grand Prix: 3D Hot Rally
    Highway Star (rad racer)
    Tobidase Daisakusen by Square (or The 3-D Battles of World Runner)
    JJ, Tobidase Daisakusen Part II

Vectrex

3D Mine Storm (bundled with the unit)
    3D Narrow Escape
    3D Crazy Coaster
    3D Pole Position ?
    3D Sector-X (uses 3D Mine Storm Color Wheel) by FURY (2010)
    3D Lord of the Robots by FURY (2006)

Virtual Boy

1996         3D Tetris
1995         Galactic Pinball
1995         Golf
1996         Insmouse No Yakata
1995         Jack Bros.
1995         Mario Clash
1995         Mario's Tennis
1996         Nester's Funky Bowling
1995         Panic Bomber
1995         Red Alarm
1995         SD Gundam Dimension War   
1996         Space Invaders Virtual Collection   
1995         Space Squash [Japanese
1995         Teleroboxer
1995         V-Tetris [Japanese]
1995         Vertical Force
1995         Virtual Boy Wario Land
1996         Virtual Fishing [Japanese]   
1995         Virtual Lab [Japanese]   
1995         Virtual League Baseball
1995         Waterworld

PC

Wolfenstein 3D  (Cybershades)  1995  dos
Descent: Destination (cybershades)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:38 am »

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine, 2005 and newer
not really likely in version #1

Vertical and horizontal isn't a problem, analog support still looking at.   I'd like to do it, but can't confirm that yet.

For the record, I wasn't requesting 3d glasses, I was just a little perplexed by its mention as a feature request for a JAMMA board.  EDIT: the above post does explain it, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:41:41 am by DaveMMR »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 08:30:59 am »

I have a right to ask for features Id want to buy.

I also have a right to complain about things that Suck.

It seems you Love to complain about every post I make.   Do you really Love me that much?

Why dont you complain about the ridiculous poster thats hating on ET?  lol
You are an idiot, I wasn't talking about you in that post, it was directed at tris_d(riverman). You understand that by posting in 1 more thread and that doubling the number threads , that mathematically that equals 2, right? Meaning the user I was referring to posting in only 1 other thread. Does that statement apply to you?
 X+1=2 or (X)2=2

Get over yourself.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »
Thought I would add that there is some progress on the board.  Had a meeting with the pcb designer people we're using today, and went over the updated requirements (hirose 3/4 player connector).

Looks like we have enough GPIO's to do it, so thats a go (4 player).

Definites are all the things I've said I'm putting in, PLUS 4 player + test switch.
We still have gpio's spare, although no pwm ones, so unfortunately nothing to drive a motor or similar.  If people have idea's for what to use the spare ones for let me know, otherwise I'm just going to stick a header on them and bring to the edge of the board so we can use at a further point if we need (as its just software changes for that if its already wired up).

We should have board design and first sample within 30 days (assuming I can get the cash together hehe, as thats going to be the next part of the process).  BoM i should get from them this week.

BoM = Bill of materials - this is important as we need this for costing.  We've obviously done rough ones, but this will be the first one from the pcb house who will produce the boards, and then populate at their factory in gz.  They're shanghai based so its convenient for us, otherwise i'd be flying down to guangdong for a week to meet people and go to factories!

Software wise - haven't made much progress unfortunately, but i am hiring a programmer to give me a hand, so I can get back on track.
Its more ui stuff at the moment as the proof of concept stuff works, so its just tying it together.

I've also approached some video people to make a cool intro animation, that should also be done by end of next month.

Hopefully I can use the revenge of the ninja droids tune for some of that, as its been a long time favorite of mine for arcade use (i've asked about licensing it from the producers, but haven't had a reply yet), otherwise will make something in house. 

I'll probably start to send out an email to all the people that signed up too in the next day or two ;)

So, in summation, getting there :)

Again - signup for more info at http://www.openjamma.org

Lawrence

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:32 am »
This project sounds great.  :applaud:

Will this board support Ultimarc's ServoStik? http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:21 am »
i put my emial in at openjamma, never got a confirmation email, figured Id give you a heads up.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
OpenJamma board - interest?
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
I love the idea of a jamma board like this.
Would it support all roms?
I know there have been other multi jamma boards where you can install your own roms but only certain roms were compatible and that board was like $300

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »
signed up to your mailing list but received no confirmation email

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »
signed up to your mailing list but received no confirmation email

Look in spam folder, that is where I found it.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »
Thanks for the update! :cheers: