Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OpenJamma board - interest?  (Read 40361 times)

shanghaiguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 02:37:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
OpenJamma board - interest?
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:48 am »
I've been silently working on making an open sourced JAMMA board for a little while now.
My intention is to make something open sourced that can plug directly into JAMMA hardware, but also has USB and VGA and other connections for those unfortunate enough not to have a nice arcade setup (what on this forum?  nah...).

While I was looking originally at MIPS originally, I intend to use an ARM based CPU now.  I already have prototyped the hardware using a dev board, and it works well enough for me to be happy.  As it will be open source *legit*, the board won't have rom's shipped with it, but I'll stick compiled versions of popular emulators + a front end on there, plus setup a github repo so others can assist / improve.
(Unless I can find a way to licence roms, in which case it will have some).

My question is this - any interest?

Essentially it will be like the Chinese XX in 1 boards, *but* with better emulation, a lot more open, plus better emulation, oh, and better emulation  :lol
Basically made by an enthusiast for enthusiasts..

Open Hardware (to the extent where thats possible)
Target will be roughly mid year for board shipping if everything goes according to plan.

So...

What features are must haves for people?

My current hardware feature set target is:

VGA
HDMI
Video out (CVBS)
USB
JAMMA
RGB OUT (via JAMMA)
SD Card (up to 32g)
NAND flash 4G for OS + Emulators + front end.

Software -
Decent emulation (not everything will be possible but most 80/90's should be fine. 
I'll definitely try to get emulation better than the slapdash chinese clone it works, ship it style we're so used to)!

...and lastly - Its going to be called OpenJAMMA

Comments, criticism, thoughts ?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:37:18 am by shanghaiguide »

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: OpenJamma board - interest?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:31 am »
Don’t take it personally, but to start with as the obvious criticism is that there have been similar posts before with similar ideas. And so far they have resulted in nothing. So please understand that the general opinion might be skepticism.

Besides from that I would love that kind of hardware, if the price is reasonable. Sure a MAME computer would do the same thing, but I want a more plugnplay system that you don’t have to be a Windows/Linux expert to configure.

A little bit curious about the different video outputs. How will you manage that? Would it require a lot of manual configurations to get native resolutions at the RGB output etc?

Support for analog and optic inputs?
Any outputs (lamps, ff, solenoids)?
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:13 am »
Sounds like you have a good start.  If it is working you have made it alot further than others who have tried.  Very interested in anything that helps make things more plug and play.  Will be watching your project closely.  Best of luck!  :applaud:

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:40:16 am »
Yay, a comment  :D
Was thinking that people were just ignoring this  :badmood:

As a background - I do have experience in taking things from concept to market.
I also have the relevant experience in both software and hardware sides to do this, although for some of this i'll obviously hire other people.
Those that know me, know that when I say i'll do something I will do it, damn the naysayers ;)

I actually reverse engineered an off the shelf jamma board last year with the intent of redoing the software, but the cpu wasn't really up to the task.
The newer arm chipsets appearing now are up to the task, and I think its the right time for something done right.

I am based in China too, so thats good for a lot of reasons - pcb and hardware is fairly easy to do here.

I have been toying over the idea for well over a year now, and my staff are well aware of whats coming ;)
I've already registered domains, and staff are busy on logo design.
I already have running protypes (on dev hardware) + gpio -> jamma so the concept seems like its feasible.

The chipset I'm using supports HDMI, VGA, and CVBS, the GPIO's will mostly be in use for the JAMMA inputs, but I do have some spare for other things.
Can also do LVDS, but not so keen on that initially.

Different video outputs are fairly straightforward, although HDMI is a bit of a pain resolution wise.  I'll sort that out though.
There are PWM outputs on the SoC for things like lamps etc, but I was just planning on doing basic JAMMA board initially + USB/VGA for the less well endowed, rather than try be all encompassing.

I'm aiming at around $80 for end product - with something thats jamma plug n play, and will be low power (somewhere in the < 5w range).
Haven't really thought about analog inputs - can do, but will have to see if thats a large feature request.

Thank you for being the first to reply!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
Just send you a PM.  I think this is a great idea.  Long overdue IMHO.

:applaud:

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2013, 03:23:13 am
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:52:28 pm »
I already have prototyped the hardware using a dev board, and it works well enough for me to be happy. 

What hardware it is?

As it will be open source *legit*, the board won't have rom's shipped with it, but I'll stick compiled versions of popular emulators + a front end on there, plus setup a github repo so others can assist / improve.

Which ones have you tried?

Essentially it will be like the Chinese XX in 1 boards, *but* with better emulation, a lot more open, plus better emulation, oh, and better emulation  :lol

What's better, for example?
This user is driverman. Permanent probationary status contingent upon following forum rules of decorum. --- saint

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:44 pm »
If you need a beta tester... I'm your man. ;)

CraftyMech

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 08:08:45 pm
  • I love the smell of solder in the morning...
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:57:03 pm »
Definitely an interesting project.

My first thoughts would be to choose the emulator versions carefully to ensure good compatibility with the romsets that are most common. For instance, using an older version of Mame like the XX-in-1 boards do, would be problematic for most users with romsets for the more recent releases of Mame.

On that same topic, providing a means for the user to flash the firmware with regular updates from your end would be a huge plus. It is going to be tough to put together an broad emulation pack that works wonderfully right out of the gate, so providing an easy upgrade path (USB to serial programming cable for instance) as part of the hardware package will be important.

Looking forward to future updates.
BitKit 8bit FPGA Multi - http://craftymech.com

j2obin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2015, 02:10:20 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:02:26 pm »
Take my money! 

Actually though what I want is a xx in one similar board that has decent emulation including sound and music for Gyruss.  I haven't seen this done well yet in a low cost board.  I would love to see an xx in 1 with perfect emulation over something that tries to support everything but with poor emulation or performance.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
I'd be down for one... or two...

But please, please, PLEASE make the front end less cheesy/bad than the other XX-in-1 boards out there. If there was some way to flash and import custom graphics for the FE, I'd buy three!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:16:04 pm »
Very interesting idea.

I'd reconsider Mipps and aligning with this open project and its userbase:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld

Are you able to manage such a wide range of video outputs on the same inexpensive PCB?  Would it make sense to have a JAMMA version then a HDMI version as a derivative board or are the video parts cheap enough that it doesn't matter?

SD Card (up to 64Gb)

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:02 am »
The GCW runs on the chipset I thought of using originally.  In fact I had stuff *running* on a jamma board with that exact chipset (JZ4755) last year.  You can check the forums here for some history on that actually, as I did post a good few posts on that before I stopped posting due to one particular person spamming those posts who got subsequently got banned.

I do know that chipset fairly well, as I did spend a few months looking at it.
Its not quite as good as the one I'm going to use (although its fairly good for purpose).

The ARM SoC i'm using has a lot more bells/whistles, and is the same price point, so no point going for the MIPS one imho.

PCB will have all those outputs, as its pretty much built into the SoC, and connectors are cheap.
I'll also have ethernet too (which I forgot to mention)

SDXC support - will look at.  (>32G SD is SDXC.)
Unfortunately its covered by patents - ExFAT is microsoft encumbered, so while hardware wise should be ok, software wise might be issue's.
Should be ok tentatively (I need to look closely at it).

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:16 am »
I would be interested in a couple for sure  :cheers:

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:09 am »
U show me a jamma board that has a sd card slot, that I can stick a card in that has the entire neo-geo romset, that has VGA and stereo output and ill be interested.  Also if you can make it emulate scan lines that would be a bonus!  A Customizable front end would be a double bonus!

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:44 am »
I posted a link to this thread and we've been discussing it a little [here]

One good suggestion that was made would be to add a Hirose DF1BZ-34DP-2.5DS connector that's used as the kick connector on CPS2/3 boards. Buttons 4-6 could then be connected to this although I would also suggest supporting five buttons from the JAMMA edge.

The same connector is also used on 4P CPS2 boards for the controls for players 3 and 4. I thought if you added the connector for inputs 4-6 then it might be a good idea (if possible) if you/we could also be able to re-map/program the inputs and use it as a 4P connector for cabinets with three or four players.

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:40 am »
I do know that chipset fairly well, as I did spend a few months looking at it.
Its not quite as good as the one I'm going to use (although its fairly good for purpose).

So what exactly are you using?

The ARM SoC i'm using has a lot more bells/whistles, and is the same price point, so no point going for the MIPS one imho.

What bells and whistles? You didn't even mention basic specs, like what CPU, what GPU, or how much RAM.

Can you make a video of few games showing FPS counter so we can hear and see just how good it really is?

As it will be open source *legit*, the board won't have rom's shipped with it, but I'll stick compiled versions of popular emulators + a front end on there, plus setup a github repo so others can assist / improve.

What popular emulators, is there any other beside MAME4all?
This user is driverman. Permanent probationary status contingent upon following forum rules of decorum. --- saint

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:44 am »
This is very interesting. Would this be suitable for budding game programmers as well?

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
@Emphatic -
If you can do SDL based stuff, then sure.

Its going to be a linux os - currently I'm running Kernel 3.4 / Debian 7,  but thats flexible.  The idea is that its open hardware, open software.  Not you get what you get, and tough.
The board will be ready to run in an Arcade Machine JAMMA setup, but also usable for others who want to play.  Again, open source, open hardware..

I'm not trying to be all things to all people, but I'm trying to ship something that I would buy myself as opposed to a closed source board that may or may not suit my needs, and can't really be changed.  I also understand that some people don't really care, they just want something that can be plugged in and just work.  It will do that also.
(Although, you'll need to supply your _own_ games on SD). 

To address some of tris_d's questions:

It will be based off a single core  Cortex-A8 cpu for the initial run, although we do have the option for dualcore later (as there is a dual core pin compatible chip available).
RAM will be 1G
Flash 4G for OS / Emulators
SD card for user space stuff (eg roms).

You'll be able to flash it with other OS's if you want, and it will have ethernet so you can update software by pressing a button.
You'll also have usb, so you can use wifi if you need to.

I'll start making some details for the site soon ( http://www.openjamma.org )

--

I've thought about 4 player adaptors - doable, but i need to see how much need there is.

I know that some people will be negative, what I'm looking for is some sort of overall feature set that we'll design the PCB to have.
Currently I know what I personally want, but I need to have a better idea of what YOU want.

If its doable, it will be done.

Lawrence / http://www.openjamma.org (hopefully Saint is ok with me sticking a link there :) )

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:43 am »
For your first release I'd consider keeping your features simple: a "legit"  XX in 1 board *but* with better emulation. I'd match the features of the xx boards and maybe add 1/8" stereo out for computer speakers.  You have a bunch of hardware and software to manage with just that as a starting point.  If you overload the first go with too many features, you might never finish it.  Is this something you are working on solo?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
agree, and I'd be happy to beta test, I have an array of machines, most JAMMA but some a little different (like MK2 and KI1 having the -5V, and a Galaga wired for JAMMA, and a Dynamo that has a PS that wont go above 4.9 V on the +5 lol)

I like the idea and it sounds like this project is rooted in reality instead of fantasy like some other similar projects.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:49 am »
If it was only me, this would be a pipedream!

I'm the boss though, and I have a bunch of minions er... minion'ing for me.
While I actually could do it all in-house, I'll be shipping some stuff to other people to do (eg the PCB design once I finalize hardware), and other bits and bobs.

I'm based in China, and speak Chinese, so thats a good plus.  I also have staff that put up with my often crazy idea's, and help that come to fruition.
Its not the first crazy idea I've had and gone through with either :)

I already have some interest from people regarding distribution, so thats also a good indicator that it will go forward (although I'm pretty much full speed ahead, damn the torpedo's)
I'm using my own money to do this, and am misusing staff to do various things related to this as we go forward. 
They're all pretty excited though, as this is another fun thing vs the usual business related stuff we do.

They're also used to me doing arcade stuff - we made and shipped a bunch of machines last year for a client in Cape Town, South Africa, where I shall be later on this year assuming i get a break!

Lawrence.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:53 am »
 :cheers:

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 10:59:00 am »
If you don't go with a 3/4P connector I would at least make sure it supports 6 buttons for players 1 and 2. If you didn't want to use one of the Hirose connectors you could use something like a JST NH header. CPS1 in fact uses a 10 pin JST NH header and the kick pin out could be wired to that.

However, the Hirose CPS2 connector is probably the most widely used kick harness connector though so it would make sense to use one of those, IMO. If you did use the Hirose connector then it would also be easier to implement P3/P4  ;D

There are some CPS2 kick and P3/P4 pinouts [here] and some Hirose connector details [here] if it helps.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »
+1 for a stereo/dual mono line level output.

As it will be running Linux, will this mean that GroovyMAME (based on ArchLinux) can be ported to this platform? Also, Yo-Yo games are apparently working on a Linux version of GameMaker: http://www.yoyogames.com/news/65 which would be awesome to have supported.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »
Can you make a video of few games showing FPS counter so we can hear and see just how good it really is?
I'd like to see this and a general overview of the project status on video.  I've seen too many projects come and go to let myself get too excited about this.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »
How will the emulation be better when Mame is terrible on ARM processors compared to X86 ones?

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 06:30:21 pm »
shanghaiguide

Thought you had all but disappeared here. I continued tinkering and collecting more igenic stuff following up on retrosticks and jepalza's dingux hack. Did you ever manage to do anything with the igenic Jamma board?  I tried finding one but couldn't get a hold of one. :(

Anyway, if you do need a tester for the product, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. As i mentioned all those months back, I too have some embedded hardware experience.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
@404 - fyi - retrosticks is me too.

Yes, I managed, but its not as fast as I would have liked on the 4755.

I'm not sure why all of you keep going, meh, M is terrible on ARM.
I've never even said the M word, and its not actually something I'd use anyway.  While I admire M...E its not exactly gone in the right direction of recent years.  I was more a fan of the lean mean machine it used to be.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:07 pm »
@404 - fyi - retrosticks is me too.

I know, I visited often during my own igenic soc tinkering.

Yes, I managed, but its not as fast as I would have liked on the 4755.

what a shame, that board looked very promising.

I'm not sure why all of you keep going, meh, M is terrible on ARM.
I've never even said the M word, and its not actually something I'd use anyway.  While I admire M...E its not exactly gone in the right direction of recent years.  I was more a fan of the lean mean machine it used to be.

well that may be a hurdle for some. Most people would want to use this for mame.  in the very least though, since you brought up SDL then advancemame should run with little issues. since you also brought up sdl, lemon launcher is generally used in some of the nix based xxxin1 arm boards. Might be something to consider when looking for a front end to use.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:07 pm »
Maybe I skipped over it... but skimming,  I saw no mention of support for Trackballs, Spinners, Steering Wheels, Pedals, Shifters, LCD 3d Glasses,  ...Nor dual Time Crisis Recoil guns.

If thats so, then why bother?   Many of the biggest name, and best classics, have analog controls...

Tempest, Arkanoid, Centipede, Out Run, Mad Planets, Supersprint, Race Drivin, Sinistar, Kick, Major Havok, Pole Position, Marble Madness, Star Trek, Star Wars, Daytona USA, Continental Circus 3D, Spy Hunter, Crystal Castles, TX-1, Paperboy, Return of the Jedi, Super Hangon, Afterburner II, Stun Runner, Rampart, Shuuz, Atari XO football, Discs of Tron, Enduro Racer, Golder Tee, Any Bowling games, any driving games, SanFranciso Rush, Tac Scan, Terminator 2, Thunderblade, Point Blanc, Time Crisis, Area 51, and over 1000 more.

Support for Mad Planets alone would be worth it.  But having actual hardware output support for things like Force Feedback to an outrun shaker motor,  2 way gear shifter and lights for Spy Hunter,  and 3d LCD glasses support for Continental Circus 3D (the effect is jaw dropping),  would make me, and plenty of other pour out our bank accounts.

While money is always tight, we always find ways to get what we want.  Especially if its things that we currently do not have in Mame... like actual  Arcade shifter support, 3d support, easy hardware force feedback support..etc...

And even at $300, would be well worth the quality.

As for 32gb card storage, to me, thats not enough either.  Maybe at least add one slot with 64gb microsd... and one input for an actual hard drive.   Ability to run laserdiscs, and multiple emulators is a plus. (especially since sega master system also has 3d LCD games.  I believe Famicon does too.. but probably not as good as Segas offerings).   Mames set alone is way over that... and there was no mention of Jukebox support.. which also would be nice... as well as require more space.   I suppose network cable could provide remote storage access.. but not everyone wants to configure that, nor has the cables running to the spot.

Also, is it mere Stereo output only?  Because many games support more than 3 speakers.  Games like TX-1 had speakers in front left and right, seat, and the rear.  Gave true surround sound ability.  Even Segas Turbo has 3 speakers... and thats way back in the 80s.   Sound quality is important to me as well.  Ive gotten very spoiled with a good set of headphones.. and have trouble dealing with horrible cheap onboard sound that is generally on generic motherboards.  My Soundblaster Audigy, which is ages old... destroys many of the brand new generic sound chips out there... even besting my new Samsung Phones quality (sadly).

Finally, I think you should Nix composite out.  You cant even find a tv that used it... and the quality it puts out is horrible.  At minimum, svideo...  But Id rather see Component support.  HDMI is interesting, and may be needed once all the older component tvs die... but Id personally use Component out on my older tvs - which is closest to RGB, or if my Arcade monitors hold out... straight RGB.  I, nor most people here, can stand Composite. Svideo quality is barely tolerated.

Edit: read some more...

Re the memory issue... Either add two 32gb sd card slots.. or maybe better...  a usb port, in which you could plug in whatever you wanted.  Such as a usb hub, card readers, or usb hard drives?  Not sure if that would be a loophole or not?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:42:34 pm by Xiaou2 »

Nephasth

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
Finally, I think you should Nix composite out.  You cant even find a tv that used it...

Where the hell do you live? There's 5 TVs in my house that have a composite input.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:51 pm »
I pretend my TV's in my house don't have composite, does that count?  :dunno

As far as having all sorts of features for inputs, I would think that something like that could be added via a secondary board connected with headers.  It could be planned for and be an upgrade option.  I can think of all sorts of upgrade boards that could be added.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »
Finally, I think you should Nix composite out.  You cant even find a tv that used it...

Where the hell do you live? There's 5 TVs in my house that have a composite input.
NO! *slap*

DO

NOT

FEED

THE

TROLL!

He listed Atari XO football as some sort of must play game, if that's not trolling I have no idea what is.

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:50 pm »
 :-[

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »
Lets try stick to the topic guys -

Suggestions, vs ....

Xiaou2 - not feasible for the most part.
Analog can be done though, but maybe in a rev2 product, or as a daughterboard.

Audio will be stereo, although jamma out will be mono, as thats the jamma standard.
There will be a *line out* on the board (so yes, supply your own amplifier).

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:44 am »
Actually, I never would have thought XO would be worth playing, till I got a collector had me give it a whirl.  Using the 4" diameter trackballs to run, was fun.. and a real workout to boot.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 01:54:15 pm »
Oh, and for the frontend, please make it somewhat easy to create skins/themes for. If the resources are just a couple of .png files for example, like in AdvanceMenu. I'd love to be able to skin it, and I'm sure there will be many more people interested in doing that too.

eldiau

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 06:01:40 pm
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »
shanghaiguide this is great news!  :applaud: I'm myself a linux programmer and I'd LOVE to have such a board to play with!

It's quite a dream to have an ARM board with an open loader so we can place our own custom linux with the emulators and the frontends we want!

Moreover, it's going to be nice small and powerful linux computer with easy to connect and use digital input lines on an edge connector I can see many other uses besides arcade.

I registered your site and I'll be waiting for updates!

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
I would be sooo interested in one or two. I have empty cabs to fill!!

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »
How will the emulation be better when Mame is terrible on ARM processors compared to X86 ones?

That's like saying all blondes are stupid, or that MIPS is terrible for MAME just because it sucks on PS2 or PSP. CPU architecture is not important, CPU is either fast enough or not. Generally speaking it's GPU and OS (drivers) which are really important. But I do agree with your question, just instead generalizing the case to "ARM CPU" it's really about combination of all the hardware and software components on a specific ARM based boards, like 60-in-1, GP2X, RaspberryPi, or Android devices.

For games those ARM boards can run at full speed emulation is not worse than compared to x86. Even 60-in-1, which is the most underpowered of all, does as good if not better job for those particular 60 games than you could make with comparable PC setup, apart from audio that is, but that's not fault of CPU or ARM architecture. So I'd say more specific and thus better question would be: can this thing do better than, say GP2X, and can we see some videos of it

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
Re: Re: OpenJamma board - interest?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
So I'd say more specific and thus better question would be: can this thing do better than, say GP2X, and can we see some videos of it
Agreed.  Video please.

SIII + Cyanogen + Tapatalk 2

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »
It will be based off a single core  Cortex-A8 cpu for the initial run, although we do have the option for dualcore later (as there is a dual core pin compatible chip available).
RAM will be 1G

What clock speed? What GPU? Is that same hardware maybe used by some already existing device or SoC?

Can it emulate Out Run at full speed? No frame skipping or audio glitches? How about Gyruss or Donkey Kong?

I've never even said the M word, and its not actually something I'd use anyway.

M word... not something you would use, as if there is any other choice? Are you saying there will be no support for classic arcades like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man?

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
I think this is a great idea.  Long overdue IMHO.

What about ArcadeSD? That's been around for a while.

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »
+1 for a stereo/dual mono line level output.

As it will be running Linux, will this mean that GroovyMAME (based on ArchLinux) can be ported to this platform? Also, Yo-Yo games are apparently working on a Linux version of GameMaker: http://www.yoyogames.com/news/65 which would be awesome to have supported.

There is one important difference between embedded and desktop Linux. You can port anything from one to another, and the other way around, all except drivers, most importantly video drivers. So while you could port GrovyMAME the most important part pertaining to desktop video hardware (ATI/Nvidia) would need to be rewritten and adjusted to suit that specific GPU and its video driver on that particular board. Therefore the first and most important question is what graphic chip and what video drivers are on this board.

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »
Oh, and for the frontend, please make it somewhat easy to create skins/themes for. If the resources are just a couple of .png files for example, like in AdvanceMenu. I'd love to be able to skin it, and I'm sure there will be many more people interested in doing that too.

Why not simply use a PC with JAMMA fingerboard, like this:

...then all you need to do is connect some dozen wires and you get what you want, and much more, for much less than any board like this could be. Why don't you simply build your own arcade controls, like the title of this forum suggests? And if instead of soldering connectors there were screws, then making JAMMA interface would be as easy as connecting USB adapter such as I-PAC.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

Why not simply use a PC with JAMMA fingerboard, like this:

...then all you need to do is connect some dozen wires and you get what you want, and much more, for much less than any board like this could be. Why don't you simply build your own arcade controls, like the title of this forum suggests? And if instead of soldering connectors there were screws, then making JAMMA interface would be as easy as connecting USB adapter such as I-PAC.

I was referring to the graphical user interface of the OpenJAMMA. I know how to hook up a PC to my cabinets, I just hate PC's. If you're going to quote someone, please read the quotes too or you will annoy the hell out of people.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:55:08 pm by emphatic »

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 06:34:44 pm »
I was referring to the graphical user interface of the OpenJAMMA. I know how to hook up a PC to my cabinets, I just hate PC's. If you're going to quote someone, please read the quotes too or you will annoy the hell out of people.

Yes, graphical user interface, and everything else. Why do you even think this guy is writing any user interfaces? At best you'll be able to run the same emulators you can find on GP2X handheld, but the question is still how well those emulators actually run on this particular board we know almost nothing about.

So you would prefer worse and more expensive hardware with older emulators just because you hate PC? And what is it you hate? Do you think any of it would be better with this board? Like more options, easier to configure, more games running at full speed? What, for example?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »
Yes, graphical user interface, and everything else. Why do you even think this guy is writing any user interfaces? At best you'll be able to run the same emulators you can find on GP2X handheld, but the question is still how well those emulators actually run on this particular board we know almost nothing about.

I tend to stay positive until I know not to be. You're right, we can only speculate at this point.

So you would prefer worse and more expensive hardware with older emulators just because you hate PC? And what is it you hate? Do you think any of it would be better with this board? Like more options, easier to configure, more games running at full speed? What, for example?

I like hardware that's complete out of the box. I either play on arcade PCBs or on consoles, as I hate configuring emulators. Also, PCs take up way too much space inside an arcade cabinet, and there are way too many expensive peripherals needed - amplifier, JAMMA interface, video card.

The OpenJAMMA, I want to put games on there, then play them. That's it. As long as the games I want to play run well, I'm happy. The list of games I want to play that I don't already own on original hardware or ported to console is pretty short, so whether I'll be buying this or not is not based on how many games will run perfectly, it's based on the few it'll run perfectly and if they fit into the holes in my small collection.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
:blah:  :blah:
Congrats on doubling the number of threads you've posted in / number of threads you've been unpleasant in.  This is now TWO things that arent even out yet that you say suck. I mean *I* get it, you arent interested, why not just let the rest of us be excited?

slight edit by saint
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:22:38 am by saint »

lodoss118

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 12:18:30 pm
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »
if u can get sfiii to work on it then i am in

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
:blah:  :blah:
Congrats on doubling the number of threads you've posted in / number of threads you've been unpleasant in.  This is now TWO things that arent even out yet that you say suck. I mean *I* get it, you arent interested, why not just let the rest of us be excited?

slight edit by saint

I've been trying to find the right words to say this, turns out this is exactly how I feel  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:22:52 am by saint »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »
1. He's loudly complaining in a thread by shanghaiguide
2. He's posting in the GroovyMAME section
3. He's comparing stuff to Android

Could it be... DRIVER-MAN?  :laugh2:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »
1. He's loudly complaining in a thread by shanghaiguide
2. He's posting in the GroovyMAME section
3. He's comparing stuff to Android

Could it be... DRIVER-MAN?  :laugh2:

Like a bad penny

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »
Video's - will do some at end of the month

Its vacation at the moment, and I have to go work in Bangkok for a week immediately after CNY (yes, its a hellish life I lead  :angel: )

UI wise - I'm busy trying to port WahCade to SDL.
GroovyMAME is a x64 distribution, so thats not getting ported!  Relevant programs from there will be though.

AdvanceMenu is fine (got that running already without any headaches).

Things I have done so far this week - setup a working repo and stuck some software in there to make sure that I can apt-get install stuff, so updates etc work.

So far, so good though.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:37 pm »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide. Most of us regulars are interested.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide. Most of us regulars are interested.

+1

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 08:12:15 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide.Us normal people are interested.

FTFY

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:49 am »
Video's - will do some at end of the month

Its vacation at the moment, and I have to go work in Bangkok for a week immediately after CNY (yes, its a hellish life I lead  :angel: )

UI wise - I'm busy trying to port WahCade to SDL.
GroovyMAME is a x64 distribution, so thats not getting ported!  Relevant programs from there will be though.

AdvanceMenu is fine (got that running already without any headaches).

Things I have done so far this week - setup a working repo and stuck some software in there to make sure that I can apt-get install stuff, so updates etc work.

So far, so good though.

I'd be interested in porting some material, mostly stand alone nix games to the platform. It seems as if you are mostly dependent on SDL for your main porting. Are there any must have dependencies to the platform?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 09:19:48 am »
Keep it up, shanghaiguide.Us normal people are interested.

FTFY

Thank you for that correction, my friend.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »

n0rtygames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2013, 10:54:16 pm
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:30 pm »
+1 for interest. Registered just to say that!

I was pointed here by Emphatic. As I'm currently using xblig (xbox indie games) as a means to get my home made vertical shmups out there, actually having something to play around with that's a little more "real" is a very exciting prospect indeed - as I don't have room for a cabinet here and have been categorically told that I'm not allowed to even start that project by the lady! Please do keep up the good work :)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »
Cool. I was wondering about this. I really wanted to go JAMMA in my next project but found it hard to justify based on the games I enjoy. This may change that, especially if you can stick to that price point.

I read some of the suggestions (3D Glasses support?) but I'd be happy with it being fully programmable (not limited to certain games), vertical and horizontal support and hopefully in the future, analog control support.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:14 am »
While I am still on a semi working vacation (in Thailand, yay!), I can spoon feed you some more info ;)

I'd be interested in porting some material, mostly stand alone nix games to the platform. It seems as if you are mostly dependent on SDL for your main porting. Are there any must have dependencies to the platform?

Right now, no.

Only real thing to watch out for is its armhf (hard floating point), so compiled apps need to run on that abi.

I'm still contemplating just using SDL on framebuffer, but it looks like i'm fighting a losing battle, so will probably be X11 based despite my non-love for it.

I've looked at the 4 player hirose connectors - total with those is about 64 i/o's in use, which I don't have spare (even with multiplexing). I'm looking at various options for that - eg i2c or similar or worst case - usb.

Its doable, but still looking at how we can integrate it.

I read some of the suggestions (3D Glasses support?) but I'd be happy with it being fully programmable (not limited to certain games), vertical and horizontal support and hopefully in the future, analog control support.

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine, 2005 and newer
not really likely in version #1

Vertical and horizontal isn't a problem, analog support still looking at.   I'd like to do it, but can't confirm that yet.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:37 am »
+1 for interest. Registered just to say that!

I was pointed here by Emphatic. As I'm currently using xblig (xbox indie games) as a means to get my home made vertical shmups out there, actually having something to play around with that's a little more "real" is a very exciting prospect indeed - as I don't have room for a cabinet here and have been categorically told that I'm not allowed to even start that project by the lady! Please do keep up the good work :)

Hi!  :cheers:

bluemini17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2014, 10:26:11 am
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 01:04:22 pm »
just read the whole thread,

+1 for my support

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »
+1.

BC_Jeffro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2020, 04:55:23 pm
  • you can never leave the game!
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »
watching with interest  ;D

tris_d

• -driverman-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »
Only real thing to watch out for is its armhf (hard floating point), so compiled apps need to run on that abi.

I'm still contemplating just using SDL on framebuffer, but it looks like i'm fighting a losing battle, so will probably be X11 based despite my non-love for it.

So, what board is that, where did you get it? Who makes it? What GPU it has? Can you post a photo of it?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:59 pm »
^ nice sig saint.

Driveman, don't you have your own forum full of alter egos to entertain?  Why the beef? You're not impressing anyone.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
While I am still on a semi working vacation (in Thailand, yay!), I can spoon feed you some more info ;)

Right now, no.

You have definitely sparked my curiosity. Please let me know when the units are available, some of the games i was thinking of porting are SDL as well.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 12:18:27 am »

I have a right to ask for features Id want to buy.

I also have a right to complain about things that Suck.

It seems you Love to complain about every post I make.   Do you really Love me that much?

Why dont you complain about the ridiculous poster thats hating on ET?  lol

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine,

3d glasses dont have to be included.  There are many out there that can still be found easily.  The most basic, only require 3 wires.

Continental Circus  1997  (lcd glasses)
 SubRoc-3D    1982   (lcd glasses)

Thunder Ceptor II
 Wyvern F-0  (dual monitors with mirror)

Virtuality  (3d head mount display arcade games)

Dactyl Nightmare
    Grid Busters
    Hero
    Legend Quest
    VTOL
    Battlesphere
    Exorex
    Total Destruction
    Dactyl Nightmare 2
    Zone Hunter
    Pac-Man VR.

There are others, but I cant remember them.  Some of these use dual monitors with a half silvered mirror, or a viewfinder style device.  Such games could probably be hacked for LCD glasses use.

Stereo 3D could also be used for game cabinet artwork.. such as seeing depth in Discs of Tron or Asteroids Deluxe Artwork Layers... If someone actually ported a 3d environment..

** Consoles **

Sega Master System

Blade Eagle 3-D
    Line of Fire (hold buttons 1 and 2 while switching the system on for 3-D mode)
    Maze Hunter 3-D
    Missile Defense 3-D (also requires the Light Phaser gun)
    OutRun 3-D
    Poseidon Wars 3-D
    Space Harrier 3-D
    Zaxxon 3-D

NES

Attack Animal Gakuen
    Cosmic Epsilon
    Falsion
    Famicom Grand Prix: 3D Hot Rally
    Highway Star (rad racer)
    Tobidase Daisakusen by Square (or The 3-D Battles of World Runner)
    JJ, Tobidase Daisakusen Part II

Vectrex

3D Mine Storm (bundled with the unit)
    3D Narrow Escape
    3D Crazy Coaster
    3D Pole Position ?
    3D Sector-X (uses 3D Mine Storm Color Wheel) by FURY (2010)
    3D Lord of the Robots by FURY (2006)

Virtual Boy

1996         3D Tetris
1995         Galactic Pinball
1995         Golf
1996         Insmouse No Yakata
1995         Jack Bros.
1995         Mario Clash
1995         Mario's Tennis
1996         Nester's Funky Bowling
1995         Panic Bomber
1995         Red Alarm
1995         SD Gundam Dimension War   
1996         Space Invaders Virtual Collection   
1995         Space Squash [Japanese
1995         Teleroboxer
1995         V-Tetris [Japanese]
1995         Vertical Force
1995         Virtual Boy Wario Land
1996         Virtual Fishing [Japanese]   
1995         Virtual Lab [Japanese]   
1995         Virtual League Baseball
1995         Waterworld

PC

Wolfenstein 3D  (Cybershades)  1995  dos
Descent: Destination (cybershades)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:38 am »

no 3d glasses.  games will be limited to ones that run well.  This means golden age 70/80/90/2000's should be fine, 2005 and newer
not really likely in version #1

Vertical and horizontal isn't a problem, analog support still looking at.   I'd like to do it, but can't confirm that yet.

For the record, I wasn't requesting 3d glasses, I was just a little perplexed by its mention as a feature request for a JAMMA board.  EDIT: the above post does explain it, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:41:41 am by DaveMMR »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 08:30:59 am »

I have a right to ask for features Id want to buy.

I also have a right to complain about things that Suck.

It seems you Love to complain about every post I make.   Do you really Love me that much?

Why dont you complain about the ridiculous poster thats hating on ET?  lol
You are an idiot, I wasn't talking about you in that post, it was directed at tris_d(riverman). You understand that by posting in 1 more thread and that doubling the number threads , that mathematically that equals 2, right? Meaning the user I was referring to posting in only 1 other thread. Does that statement apply to you?
 X+1=2 or (X)2=2

Get over yourself.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »
Thought I would add that there is some progress on the board.  Had a meeting with the pcb designer people we're using today, and went over the updated requirements (hirose 3/4 player connector).

Looks like we have enough GPIO's to do it, so thats a go (4 player).

Definites are all the things I've said I'm putting in, PLUS 4 player + test switch.
We still have gpio's spare, although no pwm ones, so unfortunately nothing to drive a motor or similar.  If people have idea's for what to use the spare ones for let me know, otherwise I'm just going to stick a header on them and bring to the edge of the board so we can use at a further point if we need (as its just software changes for that if its already wired up).

We should have board design and first sample within 30 days (assuming I can get the cash together hehe, as thats going to be the next part of the process).  BoM i should get from them this week.

BoM = Bill of materials - this is important as we need this for costing.  We've obviously done rough ones, but this will be the first one from the pcb house who will produce the boards, and then populate at their factory in gz.  They're shanghai based so its convenient for us, otherwise i'd be flying down to guangdong for a week to meet people and go to factories!

Software wise - haven't made much progress unfortunately, but i am hiring a programmer to give me a hand, so I can get back on track.
Its more ui stuff at the moment as the proof of concept stuff works, so its just tying it together.

I've also approached some video people to make a cool intro animation, that should also be done by end of next month.

Hopefully I can use the revenge of the ninja droids tune for some of that, as its been a long time favorite of mine for arcade use (i've asked about licensing it from the producers, but haven't had a reply yet), otherwise will make something in house. 

I'll probably start to send out an email to all the people that signed up too in the next day or two ;)

So, in summation, getting there :)

Again - signup for more info at http://www.openjamma.org

Lawrence

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:32 am »
This project sounds great.  :applaud:

Will this board support Ultimarc's ServoStik? http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:21 am »
i put my emial in at openjamma, never got a confirmation email, figured Id give you a heads up.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
I love the idea of a jamma board like this.
Would it support all roms?
I know there have been other multi jamma boards where you can install your own roms but only certain roms were compatible and that board was like $300

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »
signed up to your mailing list but received no confirmation email

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »
signed up to your mailing list but received no confirmation email

Look in spam folder, that is where I found it.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »
Thanks for the update! :cheers:

garwil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 12:52:30 pm
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »
Just posting to wish you luck with what seems like an awesome project!

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2022, 04:49:56 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:44 pm »
sounds awesome!

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
An update on the ole vapourware  :angel:

Noticed a metric um load of new signups today for our newsletter on openJAMMA, and see that we hit reddit.
Its not the front page, but traffic definitely went kaboom as did signups.

In other news -

I had some stickers printed for product pr purposes a few weeks ago, and we've been sending those out to the first people who've asked for them.  Anyone wants some, let me know or signup and ask for some. 

We also sent out our first newsletter last week.  Mr Procrastination here for the win ;)

In other other news, our first pcb design company dumped us (too low volume), so we had to find another one.
Already did so,  have paid another deposit, and should see a board design soon soon.  (I've been bugging my assistant daily on this! )
Once I have the pcb design, I need to go over it and check the gpio's are correct, and make sure that the 4 player hirose connector is ok, and triple check that i didn't mess anything up (eg rgb out, as thats marginally complicatedish), as that  design will be made into a hopefully working test pcb if ok.  Any mistakes mean more test boards need to be made, and those are relatively expensive to make 1 off's, so I'm aiming for less is more...

It also slows things down a bit, as it takes about 2 weeks to go from design to pcb each time, plus costs me a small but ouchy whack of money.

So, I'm going slowly but surely forwards.

We also have had good response from the newsletter for request for distributors, so all I need to do now is get something into place contract wise, so I can get people to sign on the dotted line bwahahaahaha.  I'm not keen to do that quite yet though quite yet, as I do want less vapourware and more hardware before I do so.  Once I have actual board(s), or at least the pcb design done I'm be more gung-ho on that.

Once I have the initial prototype design from them (as opposed to my dev board + crappy wiring ;) ), I'll stick some images up online, as its one more step to the goal.

Oh, and I had a meeting with a client who does injection moulding, and talked to him about making a case for the board.
If its not too expensive we may do so.  I should have a 3d design from him next week and some pricing. 
Things are rolling into place now :)

Current status:

Website - up.
Stickers for PR - done.
PCB Design - tick tock tick tock impatiently waiting for first draft :hissy:
Software - behind on as the logistics bits are starting to get to be more involved (not so worried on this, as I can rope others in once I can ship out first sample boards, 404, i'm looking at you hehe)
Distribution - need to get some contracty stuff done, but more than enough interest to get boards to people :)
Intro animation - haven't heard back from the video peeps, so will go visit them this week and harangue.  They're friends of mine, and its a favour, but dammit, I expect results  :laugh:

Lawrence / openjamma.org

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »
Cool. Coolcoolcool.

This makes me really glad I'm going the JAMMA wiring route on my current project.  ;D

Raven..

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2021, 12:51:50 am
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:13 am »
I would love to have a couple of these when they are ready.  I have many of the other Chinese multi-boards from the last few years, and there are some things done right on each one, but too much done wrong (like the Linux-based 128-in-1 that is hell to hack).  This is an exciting project! 

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2013, 12:56:28 pm »
was just told about this project today.  Very nice, and will be much desired as there is nothing comparable out there.

I browsed the whole thread but here is what I'm wondering about the classic games up to 84ish.

1- will a USB happ trackball and USB slikstik spinner work with this board, for games like major havoc, crystal castles, Kickman, Centipede, Tempest, etc

2- will the mame version be update-able by the user, which is relevant for games like Robotron. ie older versions of mame below 145-148 have poor blitter emulation.
It would be nice to drop a custom \src\mame\video\williams.c into mame 148 so Robotron/Joust/Bubbles/etc have the optimal play experience.

3- will it support a 49-way stick if someone was interested in playing a game like Sinistar?

Awesome project. Kudos. I'm in for one when they are produced, regardless.  :)

happyfunball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:49:39 pm
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
this sounds like an interesting project but I'm unclear a little on what emulation its running.
are you just recompiling a version of mame to run on it? If so, doesn't that sort of go against mame's terms of use that it shouldn't be used for commercial products?

or is this intended to run whatever emulators people make on their own and you're just selling a piece of hardware?

sandheaver

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:02 pm »
this sounds like an interesting project but I'm unclear a little on what emulation its running.
are you just recompiling a version of mame to run on it? If so, doesn't that sort of go against mame's terms of use that it shouldn't be used for commercial products?

or is this intended to run whatever emulators people make on their own and you're just selling a piece of hardware?

Well, MAME doesn't run standalone, it would need an OS to run on top of.  So, it would probably need to be (given the open nature of the hardware) an open, but customized, OS such as Linux.  Linux would suit itself pretty well to this application, without question.

This will probably be distributed in similar ways as the Raspberry Pi.  Hardware sold without OS, without storage, but with downloadable OS and supporting commonly used storage media: USB drive or SD card, etc.  (edit: it is against MAME EULA to sell MAME; but if the Raspberry Pi model is followed, you purchase only the hardware -- or build your own -- then download the software free of charge.  It is in this way that the MAME EULA is not violated.) 

I think it will be a bit of a mistake to design and market it solely as a MAME/MESS platform; much more interest can likely be gained if it is made to be a general purpose embedded platform that happens to have a JAMMA connector, or possibly modular IO boards (one of which would be JAMMA.)  Just look at what is missing from the market now and you'll quickly see where you'd go with this kind of a board, if you decided you wanted to go there.  Modular IO would let you support trackballs and paddles and every control method MAME & MESS support, without necessarily including them all on the one board.  An open platform with open modules is the way to go, in my eyes.

Despite that, I find this project very interesting, indeed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:46:52 pm by sandheaver »

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2013, 08:17:15 am »

I'm pretty sure I answered the M question already.  May have been on the otaku board though.  Have added it to the FAQ though.
->
http://openjamma.org/faq/

MAME!

The short answer – No.
The long answer – licencing wise, MAME doesn’t allow for commercial use, and an openJAMMA board for sale with MAME pre-installed would count as commercial use.
That said, the board will be updatable, and we will have a repo which you can install MAME from if you so wish. Again, this will be open source, so those who want to make it happen can, those that don’t can use the default packages we will ship with.

OS will be linux (Debian) based, and we'll have our own repo for updates.
(Well, less of the "will" have, more of the has.. a repo, I already made one a while ago).
Frontend will be python based.

Still mulling over whether I use Mamewah! or similar, or not.  Thoughts, comments?
Right now I have it booting into a simple python selector, and that then runs emulator du jour.

Yes I realise this is hard to answer without visuals, but I do have a lot of stuff to get done before I can get alpha units out to testers etc.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:05 am »
1- will a USB happ trackball and USB slikstik spinner work with this board, for games like major havoc, crystal castles, Kickman, Centipede, Tempest, etc

Yes, if there are linux drivers for it.
If there are not, then no until someone makes some.  The ones I have though appear as mice to a computer, so should work (assuming the usb ones you have are similar to the ones I have).

sandheaver

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
Still mulling over whether I use Mamewah! or similar, or not.  Thoughts, comments?

If you're going to rely on a modified distribution and repository to support this board, I would say that you should not really bother with a front-end at the moment; the community will create one as soon as the itch strikes, and may have already. 

I would avoid as much custom development as possible and rest on the existing Linux OS and existing apps & front-ends wherever possible.  You don't know the needs of the userbase, yet, so you can't know what the requirements will actually be for a front-end.  Without requirements you can only guess, and that invariably leads to development time being wasted on features no one wants, and features people do want being wholly skipped because they weren't anticipated.  Just skip all that and let the community create one; that's part of why it's open, is it not?  I, for one, don't want a visible front-end at all.  MAME command line is sufficient for me; I can control MAME from other computers, easily.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2013, 11:09:07 am »
I prefer you make it as plug and play as you can. Here's one vote for a customizable front end.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »
I'm personally looking for a no hassle plug'n'play board where we can modify the mame version and rom choices in a simple efficient menu (no 60-1 menu music, please).

If it requires hacking and linux development and hours of fiddling, no thank you.  I am fine with fiddling in mame with a PC just as easily.

I read the hacking thread on klov of people trying to putz with the 138-1 board for mods, and that looks inefficient. not interested.

Keep It Simple and Easy and you've got a winner.  :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2013, 12:09:30 pm »
I'm personally looking for a no hassle plug'n'play board where we can modify the mame version and rom choices in a simple efficient menu (no 60-1 menu music, please).

If it requires hacking and linux development and hours of fiddling, no thank you.  I am fine with fiddling in mame with a PC just as easily.

I read the hacking thread on klov of people trying to putz with the 138-1 board for mods, and that looks inefficient. not interested.

Exactly. Just make the FE dipswitchable, and you can accomodate those who don't want a front end. But for those of us who just want to stick games on it and play, simple is best. We're paying YOU to do the software/FE development for us.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:25:37 pm by yotsuya »

sandheaver

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2013, 01:34:09 pm »

Exactly. Just make the FE dipswitchable, and you can accomodate those who don't want a front end. But for those of us who just want to stick games on it and play, simple is best. We're paying YOU to do the software/FE development for us.  :cheers:

The ideas "keep it simple" and "make our front-end for us" don't really align with each other.

If you must, make it a front-end that is customizable, removable, and replaceable.  An option at install-time as to whether or not a UI is installed would be nice, or, if you distribute full images, package management to remove any existing front-end would be appreciated.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
If people are "fine with fiddling in mame with a PC" in their cab, why not just do that instead of trying to steer this project towards exactly that? I don't want something to fiddle with for hours on end because it's easy, I want something that plays some games perfectly without the need for anything but a JAMMA cabinet. Playing arcade games > Fiddling with a computer.

sandheaver

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »
If people are "fine with fiddling in mame with a PC" in their cab, why not just do that instead of trying to steer this project towards exactly that? I don't want something to fiddle with for hours on end because it's easy, I want something that plays some games perfectly without the need for anything but a JAMMA cabinet. Playing arcade games > Fiddling with a computer.

You don't want Linux, then, or an open board.  You want one of the boards that are already available.  The reason this would be open, I imagine, would be specifically to allow any and all customization an end-user could muster.

I'm fine with an out-of-the-box working configuration, but I can guarantee that < 3% of users will leave that as it is, and see things they wish to change, immediately.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »

You don't want Linux, then, or an open board.  You want one of the boards that are already available.  The reason this would be open, I imagine, would be specifically to allow any and all customization an end-user could muster.

I'm fine with an out-of-the-box working configuration, but I can guarantee that < 3% of users will leave that as it is, and see things they wish to change, immediately.

I think it all depends on how much customization you want to do. I'd like to be able to put my own games and fiddle with the front end, but other than that, I just want to make sure it plays games. If it's open, people can develop cool plug-ins and add-ons, and that's fine.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
If the hardware ends up being powerful enough to get folks interested, I imagine there will be a build (community or other) that is simple turn key, extract an image on a SD card and call it done.  I would think there are other folks that would want to tinker.  There is no reason it can't support both.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
I'm interested in this. Apparently I'm not spending enough time on the BYOAC forums, lately  :timebomb:

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

sandheaver

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
I think it all depends on how much customization you want to do. I'd like to be able to put my own games and fiddle with the front end, but other than that, I just want to make sure it plays games. If it's open, people can develop cool plug-ins and add-ons, and that's fine.

Agreed.  I'm just saying that whomever is developing the OS for this board need not worry about a front-end; I believe the community will create one, quickly.

A core open source mantra is "release early and often."  If you read the paper "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" you'll understand why, pretty clearly.  I'm not at all an open source advocate but there are a lot of truths in this document, and it is worth a read.  The short of it is that if you release early, you'll gain help in finishing tasks, and if you release often, you're able to quickly show progress on the software, which will garner attention and bring on new folks, as they see the growing potential.  It is for this reason that I think a general purpose board with modular IO will gain far more attention from bored developers than a specialized board solely for arcades. 

It may not be plain to see here, but our hobby is a niche hobby, and it's a very small niche.  I fear that too few people outside of this community will find interest in this open JAMMA board, and low adoption makes it painless for any talent that is interested to walk away. 

I realize I'm too late the party to expect that my advice be taken to heart, and I do hope that this board moves beyond vapor, very much actually, but I think time would have been better spent creating a JAMMA IO daughterboard for an existing embedded platform, such as this one: http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135235611947

cliff clavin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2018, 03:12:51 pm
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:27 am »
I am very interested in this board....I have just spent many many hours fiddling with mame getting it setup with my arcade cab, that a plug in play simple solution would be ideal....I think people are looking for an easy straightforward solution, hence the popularity of the 138 in 1, 256 in 1, phoenix arcade pcb etc.....Many don't have time nor the expertise to get a complicated emulation working properly.....I have some family that I would love to setup with a cab....mame is simply to fussy and problematic but mame on a jamma board would be perfect ...I do not have the linux skills nor the desire to be tweaking the board incessantly .plug and play is the ticket......those that want to tinker can buy the rasperry pi board....

sandheaver

« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »
Cliff Clavin... so many humorous memories behind that name.  I'm a bit sad that my children will never have the patience to watch that show and experience that character.

I am very interested in this board....I have just spent many many hours fiddling with mame getting it setup with my arcade cab, that a plug in play simple solution would be ideal....I think people are looking for an easy straightforward solution, hence the popularity of the 138 in 1, 256 in 1, phoenix arcade pcb etc.....Many don't have time nor the expertise to get a complicated emulation working properly.....I have some family that I would love to setup with a cab....mame is simply to fussy and problematic but mame on a jamma board would be perfect ...I do not have the linux skills nor the desire to be tweaking the board incessantly .plug and play is the ticket......those that want to tinker can buy the rasperry pi board....

You can have both sides of that coin with a board like this.  You can have the quick & easy out of the box workability, AND the customized improved interface without doing the work yourself.  One would just download the modifications that were closest to their own desires.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:12:56 pm by sandheaver »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
While I apprciate the tinkerers out there who will undoubtedly do some great things with the hardware, I just want to play some games. Preferrably Galaga.

And while I appreciate what the "community" can do, I don't want to have to rely on them to make the board work. I would think most of us here would feel the same. I would actively encourage them to see what they could do with the board, but I don't think it should be all on them. I have faith that Shanghaiguide has listened to our comments about the existing xx-in-1s and their crummy FEs and will take that into account.

sandheaver

« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2013, 04:30:01 pm »
While I apprciate the tinkerers out there who will undoubtedly do some great things with the hardware, I just want to play some games. Preferrably Galaga.

And while I appreciate what the "community" can do, I don't want to have to rely on them to make the board work. I would think most of us here would feel the same. I would actively encourage them to see what they could do with the board, but I don't think it should be all on them. I have faith that Shanghaiguide has listened to our comments about the existing xx-in-1s and their crummy FEs and will take that into account.

I agree.  I'm just not going to rely on any of that if these come to fruition and I buy one.  I completely understand the desire for a plug-n-play style board, but I won't be using any of those convenience features, and I hope the board makes it easy enough for one to have it their own way.

sandheaver

« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:12 pm »
To be honest, something like this is what I want.

http://www.avalue.tw/tw/product/detail.aspx?ccid=2&cid=8&id=14&zid=294

edit: updated URL to a more modern example on a more common platform
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:49:04 pm by sandheaver »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:02 am »
To be honest, something like this is what I want.

http://www.avalue.tw/tw/product/detail.aspx?ccid=2&cid=8&id=14&zid=294

edit: updated URL to a more modern example on a more common platform

So, buy one?  Granted, a platform such as the one you linked to would provide higher performance and more options, but by time a processor, memory, storage, power supply, interface, etc... are added to the mix, you are well beyond the target price of the OpenJAMMA board, or similar platforms.  Personally, I like the flexibility of a true PC for emulation purposes myself, but there are many applications where a board of this type is a good fit, and it looks to be a better solution than something like a Rasberry Pi. 

You really have to consider feature set, price and application when comparing platforms.  You can always do better by paying more.

sandheaver

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »
So, buy one?  Granted, a platform such as the one you linked to would provide higher performance and more options, but by time a processor, memory, storage, power supply, interface, etc... are added to the mix, you are well beyond the target price of the OpenJAMMA board, or similar platforms.

Really?  Has the OpenJAMMA board been priced?  Because I haven't seen that price, yet.

Grammatical comprehension is very weak on this forum.  I said I wanted a board LIKE that one, not EXACTLY that one...  I still want an embedded platform and a relatively low cost.  What I was saying (that i've already said a few times in this thread) is that I want a general purpose board with JAMMA IO, not a specifically JAMMA board.  I don't believe this community is strong enough to hold up a JAMMA-only product, but, if the product is a good general purpose board with optional JAMMA IO, then I think the audience could be much, much larger, and success would be that much more certain.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 03:04:30 pm »
Really?  Has the OpenJAMMA board been priced?  Because I haven't seen that price, yet.

I'm aiming at around $80 for end product

Grammatical comprehension is very weak on this forum.

No wonder you have a hard time making friends.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2013, 05:36:08 pm »
Indeed, the projected price point is also listed on his concise FAQ page. So it seems you're commenting on a product you didn't even read up on.

sandheaver

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:04 am »

because everyone in the world is like you; never hesitates to slide in a wry comment.  never.

there is not a single person on this planet i want to be friends with.  they will only use their friendship with me to steal from me or backstab me or make consistent jabs at me in public.  i have no friends because i have no interest in making friends.  there are no such things and friends, only weak spots which will eventually be exploited.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2013, 01:34:47 am »

because everyone in the world is like you; never hesitates to slide in a wry comment.  never.

there is not a single person on this planet i want to be friends with.  they will only use their friendship with me to steal from me or backstab me or make consistent jabs at me in public.  i have no friends because i have no interest in making friends.  there are no such things and friends, only weak spots which will eventually be exploited.

Jeez... I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Btw, that wasn't meant to be a snide comment. You yourself have stated you have difficulty making friends. My post was just my observation as to why that is probably happening. But now I know the reason is simply that you just don't want to. I was right way back when I said it seemed like you had a chip on your shoulder- for some reason, you do.

To get back on topic, Shanghaiguide, are you still looking at at August beta release?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:43:45 am by yotsuya »

kagaden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2022, 10:58:37 pm
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2013, 02:03:08 pm »
I'd be in for 3 when this materializes and I can read a review or two. If it's decent for 90's 2d fighters I'm all over it.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:45 am »
To get back on topic, Shanghaiguide, are you still looking at at August beta release?

I'm hoping for something close to that, but looks like its going to slide a bit.  May be ok though.
I got the first PCB design back from our design house, and I'm not so happy, they really didn't do <expletive deleted> yet.
Going to have to do a bit more work than I really wanted too myself with them so that "yeah yeah no problem" (aka mei wenti) turns into actual board layout, sigh.  If i really wanted to do it myself, I wouldn't have paid them to do it. 

:banghead:

Tis the nature of things though, and I should have expected life to indeed be interesting as that proverb goes ;)

sandheaver

« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:49 pm »
Tis the nature of things though, and I should have expected life to indeed be interesting as that proverb goes ;)

Fast, good, cheap; pick any two.  This is the typical trade off when you want to create a new product.  It's true for software & hardware, both.

The software to properly design circuit boards of this size, the software the professionals use, Altium & the like, cost several thousands of dollars per seat.  Professional electrical engineer (EE) time is upwards of $150/hr, unless you hire someone on salary or know someone who is like-minded and actually wants to build a board gratis.

You are going to be plagued with delays on this front unless you can pay, or you find an enthusiastic hobbyist, or you get lucky in some other way that results in a good EE donating his/her time. 

Time for a kickstarter, maybe.

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2014, 08:45:25 pm
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2013, 03:55:33 pm »
Sign me up for a board! Just started gentle restoration on a cocktail system that is already pre-wired with Jamma harness and was looking at my options (apart from buying working Jamma PCB at $150-$200 a pop). OpenJamma board is exactly what I have been looking for.  :)

Tim

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »
back on topic, I def want at least 1 board, if you kick start and put the $100 donation at 1 board, I'd back you.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:41:14 pm by saint »

sandheaver

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2013, 07:26:56 pm »
back on topic, I def want at least 1 board, if you kick start and put the $100 donation at 1 board, I'd back you.

Same.  I'd probably kick in $200 if the board had a more general purpose slant and performed well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:41:30 pm by saint »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
I, too, would Kickstarter $100 for a plug-and-play board if that included shipping.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »
I, too, would Kickstarter $100 for a plug-and-play board if that included shipping.

+1

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2013, 11:15:49 pm »

Ditto.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2013, 09:05:25 am »
you know, i would do a $100 kickstarter, too, IF....

I still don't really understand your full design intention of this board, but if you are saying it is plug n play with an easty -->>user defined version of mame<<-- and any romsets compatible with said version of mame...

then my "If" is a YES.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:53 am »
I'd be in for 3 when this materializes and I can read a review or two. If it's decent for 90's 2d fighters I'm all over it.

I'm hoping for something close to that, but looks like its going to slide a bit.  May be ok though.
I got the first PCB design back from our design house, and I'm not so happy, they really didn't do <expletive deleted> yet.
Going to have to do a bit more work than I really wanted too myself with them so that "yeah yeah no problem" (aka mei wenti) turns into actual board layout, sigh.  If i really wanted to do it myself, I wouldn't have paid them to do it. 

:banghead:

I sent off the news of the device to some friends of mine that run gaming sites. I can also arrange reviews of any proto or finished units.

I haven't heard 'mei wenti' in a while. Everyone in the far east uses that as the common runaround phrase.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2013, 11:56:04 am »
I sent off the news of the device to some friends of mine that run gaming sites. I can also arrange reviews of any proto or finished units.

I'd be down to test, honestly I want something that can emulate Galaga better than the 60 in 1 I have in my Galaga, so my expectations are low haha. I would be more than happy to cover shipping and things of that nature.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:42:27 pm by saint »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2013, 08:30:02 am »

I'd be down to test, honestly I want something that can emulate Galaga better than the 60 in 1 I have in my Galaga, so my expectations are low haha. I would be more than happy to cover shipping and things of that nature.

It's not up to me at all, I'm just offering to contact a few sites on behalf of the project. Pretty sure the second point of a review is to garner some attention outside of this website for the product though.

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2013, 08:37:59 am »
Once I have a working PCB, I can start on shipping some test units out to interested parties.

404 is on my list of quite probably getting a test unit for dev purposes, as the more dev types the better.

I spent the whole afternoon - early evening today sitting with the PCB layout guys -  7hrs solid!
We're getting closer to being able to layout the pcb. 
I need to run some of the electrical stuff i'm not so sure on with someone who's more conversant in electronics than I am, will do so in the next day or so, and also double check the pinouts again.  Then once again. Then once again again.

Then it can go to layout, and then we can make a test board or three. (And hope to heck that the first board works hehe).

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »
Once I have a working PCB, I can start on shipping some test units out to interested parties.

404 is on my list of quite probably getting a test unit for dev purposes, as the more dev types the better.

I'd be more than happy to test it out.  Just keep in mind, I don't have a cabinet to test it in. I will probably have it running via a test rig/supergun style setup in the meantime.

In the very least, i'd like to dig into the unit to see how far i can get at porting an sdl game or two and possibly doing to setup tutorials.  :)

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:42 pm »
As we're busy on the PCB side these days, I had a thought - should I add a scanline circuit to the VGA output?

Would make it switchable of course - does anyone think its a good idea?
(Doesn't add much cost to the board).

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:25 am »
Yes, add it.

sandheaver

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:33 am »
As we're busy on the PCB side these days, I had a thought - should I add a scanline circuit to the VGA output?

Beware feature creep...  but yes, scanlines would be nice.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2013, 08:17:11 am »

Yes, please!

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:48 am »

Beware feature creep...  but yes, scanlines would be nice.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about i/o usage on the SoC than board space at the moment, as more layers == $$$$. 
The VGA circuit additions dont affect layer count - the SoC usage dictates that, more-so as its BGA mount (with a high pin* count too!) rather than SMT, and all the pins are behind others.

Trying to keep it down to 4 layer. If it hits 6 layer, pricing increments, but not in a good way  :cry:

This is why I need to be smart with the board layout and pin usage.  If i spend the time to do it right, I get to reap the rewards (less layers = less cost).
When I finish this round of changes, its mostly done though, but then it goes to the EE (electrical engineer) to check, then make any necessary changes, then back to me to confirm, and then to board layout.

Then I need to wait a week or two while they do the gerber files for the board layout, then we make 1-5, populate and I see where it all went wrong (or right!).
Thats another 2-3 weeks or so after design is finalized, so we're about 1 1/2 - 2 months away from prototypes at the moment assuming I'm happy. 
(and I'm never happy, as I'm a picky control freakazoid who needs to know everything  :lol)

------
*Yes BGA = Ball Grid Array, but if I say balls vs pins, its all  :censored: hahahaha.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:02 am »
Keep it simple, keep it cheap and you'll have a winner!

Make some money on this and then you can get all creative on some deluxe board later.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2014, 10:53:54 pm
  • Always Learning
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:00 am »
Keep it simple, keep it cheap and you'll have a winner!

Make some money on this and then you can get all creative on some deluxe board later.

i agree.

when this goes kickstarter, i'm in.

Busterlowe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2013, 04:45:47 pm
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »
Would there be area to add daughter boards? I echo what others have said, analog inputs would be great.

I'm up for testing the unit as well, if interested.

Good luck! I hope you can pull this off!

launton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2015, 03:23:21 pm
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2013, 12:26:05 pm »
Exactly what I'm after.  Bring it on!  :applaud:  :cheers:

sandheaver

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »
I still think you'd be better starting from an already open platform like the new BeagleBone Black.  It has a lot of the same specs as what you're aiming for, and it's already made, prototyped, tested, and released.

You could more easily create a cape (what the beagleboard people call an add-on card) that has most or all of the interfaces you want on the openJAMMA board, and the main board with CPU & GPU is already done for you, and for far less money than it would cost you to design, prototype, and build it.

Given the $45 price tag for this, you could sell a cape that sat on top and still meet your $100 goal for the solution, in total.

Also, there are already VGA capes for this guy, so there's one less thing for you to worry about.

Maybe you're too far in to change direction now, but I would encourage any future embedded JAMMA designers reading this to consider this type of a solution (an IO board for an existing platform) in the future.  It's much less work, much less risk, much less cost, and much more easily supported.

The CubieBoard is similar and even has SATA, if you really need that.

My $0.02.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:32:19 pm by sandheaver »

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »
I agree about the beaglebone black or cubie and capes.  Make one for CGA Jamma, a different one for VGA jamma, and a different one for VGA with wire terminals.

I've been pondering  something like that as a KADE project but the hardware with decent I/O is not quite fast enough to emulate n64 and ps1 well.  The fast boards like the odroid don't have enough I/O.  Playing with the Ouya might tide me over if a big community grows around it and I can get my HDMI to VGA converter working.  I'll pick up an openjamma board too.

sandheaver

« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2013, 07:02:53 pm »
The fast boards like the odroid don't have enough I/O.

the ODROID-X2, even?  I thought it had 50 pins of I/O..  I could be wrong, I read that page a long time ago, and I'm not going to re-read it now, just to deny someone the opportunity to tell me I'm wrong.  People seem to enjoy that, and who am I to rob someone of their joy?   ;D

The ODROID-X2 has enough I/O.  You could make an add-on card for this board and do what you wanted.  This platform is nice because it has a quad-core CPU.  Clever software authoring could use a whole core for MAME and nothing else.  I don't believe MAME supports multiple cores yet, does it?

You only need a few I/O pins if you use them to drive an extender or something like that.  use an I2C bus to drive an I/O extender and handle the I/O from there.  Arcade monitors need a 5V signal (if we're being strictly pure to spec; late model CRTs handle 1v just fine) so you'll need an amplifier or you'll need to require a video amp be used as a separate component if needed.  Not sure what voltage the speaker would need to be.

Trick would be to get video onto the I2C bus in the first place.  Software rendering could do that easily enough, I suppose.

It could be done, and while I2C might not be the bus of choice, making expansion boards would be a whole lot easier than building the entire thing, base platform and all, from scratch.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:12:00 pm by sandheaver »

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
the ODROID-X2, even?

It's $135.00 + shipping, different class of product.  The BeagleBone Black and Cubie are ~ $50.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
Just gimme a $100 JAMMA board I can play games with, with a front end I can tweak to my content and I'll be happy, Shanghaiguide. :)

sandheaver

« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »
the ODROID-X2, even?

It's $135.00 + shipping, different class of product.  The BeagleBone Black and Cubie are ~ $50.

No argument, there.

sandheaver

« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2013, 07:42:16 pm »
Just gimme a $100 JAMMA board I can play games with, with a front end I can tweak to my content and I'll be happy, Shanghaiguide. :)

This is my point.  You'd have had it by now if it were just an I/O board for an existing platform.  SO MUCH EASIER.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2013, 08:38:14 pm »
Why stifle creativity?

sandheaver

« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
Why stifle creativity?

Well, I'm not trying to; I believe in creativity, but I also believe in practicality.  shanhaiguide wants to duplicate effort, create an open ARM board when several already exist, and that is just wasted time to me.  Our time on Earth is limited; use it creatively, yes, but use it practically where you can.  Why spend a year creating something like the BeagleBone Black when the BeagleBone Black exists today and costs a measly $45?

Here's something to get creative thinking about: BY HERSELF, Jeri Ellsworth created the first C64 SoC (System on a Chip) in 2004 2002.  She was 30 28, and had almost no formal electrical engineering training, nor chip design training.  She thought "ok, I can probably figure this out," then figured it out in 4 months or something ridiculous like that.

If shanghaiguide wants to create a custom-built chip for this, then I would be well & truly on board with that, because that hasn't been done, at least not in an open source manner.  One could get truly creative with that kind of ambition.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:10:48 pm by sandheaver »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2013, 10:01:55 am »
Here's a great idea. Let's let shanghaiguide make whatever he wants. If you don't like it, then you don't have to buy it.

Everything works out in the end.

wesbrown18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 09:29:23 pm
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:06 am »
Hey, guys --

Don't be naive about the economics of building and producing a system.

While shanghaiguide could use any of these existing platforms, this means that he's tying his fate to the pricing of these existing platforms.   It is very, very cheap in China to build a SoC system.  The expensive part is the actual design and design testing.

Once he has a design that he's happy with, he can leverage the economies of scale in China to manufacture the OpenJAMMA board for far cheaper than he would if he had a cape.  In the end, he would have far more margin per OpenJAMMA board sold -- it's a return on the amount of work he's invested.

An integrated OpenJAMMA platform is far more salable than an add-on to an existing SoC platform such as the BeagleBone -- people want to buy integrated components in a box, that they can plug into their arcade machines..  While shanghaiguide is not going to bundle MAME, it's just as easy for someone else to make a firmware image that includes MAME.

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:16 pm »
Here's a great idea. Let's let shanghaiguide make whatever he wants. If you don't like it, then you don't have to buy it.

I second this.

Stan
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

sandheaver

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

I don't know what to think of you assuming that I meant something else. 

Not favorably.

I encourage anyone and everyone capable to build a board from scratch and prove me wrong though.  But if anyone does, I'll be very surprised indeed.  Most folks with the talent to build a board from scratch would know not to given what's already on the market.

PROVE ME WRONG by getting the product to market successfully. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:04:55 pm by sandheaver »

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2013, 04:00:01 pm »

I'm not really looking to argue with folks in this thread.  OpenJamma is going to be built however shanghaiguide wants to build it.
I was a part of bringing this thread off topic and think we need to bring the discussion back to OpenJamma features more than alternatives for the implementation.

I do have a question specific to OpenJamma, is it going to be open software/ open hardware, or both?

8)

sandheaver

« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:27 am »

I'm not really looking to argue with folks in this thread.  OpenJamma is going to be built however shanghaiguide wants to build it.
I was a part of bringing this thread off topic and think we need to bring the discussion back to OpenJamma features more than alternatives for the implementation.

I do have a question specific to OpenJamma, is it going to be open software/ open hardware, or both?

8)

I'm not really arguing.  If you think I am then I AM misspeaking, but I'm certainly not posting here with the intent to tell anyone they're wrong, and certainly not to discourage the OP from following his desires to create a board.  Re-reading, I can see how that would appear otherwise, but I was only attempting to provide another viewpoint, one which I think is an alternate, yet valid viewpoint.

In truth I hope Shanghaiguide makes the board and sells millions of them, and becomes rich.  I value being wrong far more than I do being right, as I learn a lot more when I'm wrong.  All I get when I'm right is a lot of people that wish they didn't know me and/or that I'd shut up.

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:33 am »
I'm just looking for a board that will plug right into my Jamma harness and allow for ROMS on SD card or similar storage to be run. OpenJamma board seems to be exactly what I need. Had considered the multi-game boards, but I think the OpenJamma board will suit my needs much better.  ;D

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:05 am »
I'm just looking for a board that will plug right into my Jamma harness and allow for ROMS on SD card or similar storage to be run. OpenJamma board seems to be exactly what I need. Had considered the multi-game boards, but I think the OpenJamma board will suit my needs much better.  ;D

Yep, I think that is exactly what most of us non-developers in the crowd are hoping it becomes.
I'd love to be able to upgrade to this item, from a family member's 60-1 PCB that his kid's play.  MAME is too complex for their needs. and other multi-boards are limited in one way or another.  many of the obscure games are more kid friendly or entertaining than the top 40 classics we all know.

sandheaver

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

Same.  I just want it yesterday :)

sandheaver

« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2013, 11:58:19 am »

Oh to answer that question, the software he's mentioned so far is already open, so I think we're golden, there.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »

I don't know what to think of you assuming that I meant something else. 

Not favorably.

I encourage anyone and everyone capable to build a board from scratch and prove me wrong though.  But if anyone does, I'll be very surprised indeed.  Most folks with the talent to build a board from scratch would know not to given what's already on the market.

PROVE ME WRONG by getting the product to market successfully.

You're assuming I was talking about you specifically.

sandheaver

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
You're assuming I was talking about you specifically.

true enough.

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2013, 12:54:57 pm »

Same.  I just want it yesterday :)

I can't wait either. Not planning to invest in another board. I may try to find a cheap original PCB just for testing/use for now, but for now my cocktail system "restoration" being almost complete, it just needs to be powered up.  ;D

Rigby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2014, 09:40:59 am
  • I am good at liking video games
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
any update?  i was lurking here quite happily until i noticed there haven't been any updates for a while.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »
any update?  i was lurking here quite happily until i noticed there haven't been any updates for a while.

Shouldn't you be cleaning the park?

Nephasth

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
Sandy...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2013, 11:38:07 pm »
You say it, we play it on All Request Wednesday.

This one goes out from Nep to that special someone he's missing. . . .

Hope things work out for you crazy kids as good as they do in the movie.

:laugh2: 

Scott

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:20 am »
I admit, I LOLed.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:06 am »
*walks away slowly, unawares of what the hell anyone is talking about*

yes, I got the park reference; still not sure what anyone else is talking about. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:00:23 pm by Rigby »

Nephasth

« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:00 am »
 :lol

Good one Scott. :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »
*walks away slowly, unawares of what the hell anyone is talking about*

You at least got the park reference, right?

launton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2015, 03:23:21 pm
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »
Yes, an update would be good.  Don't want openjamma to think it's not 'the one that we want'

shanghaiguide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2013, 03:12:26 am »
Update is that there is no update at the moment, as we need to "get stuff done(tm)".
So..., we're doing that.

Unfortunately getting stuff done doesn't really make for interesting times, but we are alive, and doing stuff, so progress is happening slowly but surely.

Lawrence.

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »
How's the progress?  ;D

I know, good things come to those who wait, I'm waiting patiently.  ;D

Tim

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »
must be vacation time in china??

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2013, 09:42:44 am »
Any progress?

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »
Been meaning to send him a message on Facebook to ask also. August was a potential release for the board, but not sure if things are on schedule with it, would love to hear how progress is going.  ;D

Tim

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
Well, it's easy to lose motivation when Sandheaver tells you you're doing it wrong 40 times...

I have a different attitude toward it; use an FPGA to output RGB analog video and to run the game.  Describe the hardware for the games you want to emulate, and the FPGA can do it all.  Provide the roms & samples, and you're there.  This is how the 60-in-1 board does it, I think, but they used terrible samples for a few games and the sound quality suffers accordingly.

If you describe the hardware accurately, an FPGA can handle all of the digital stuff, and output the proper video signal to drive an arcade monitor.  For example, the FPGA Arcade does exactly this.

This type of solution requires a lot more knowledge than I possess.  JROK over on KLOV forums could do it.

If the OpenJAMMA board can run with minimal frame latency and drive an arcade monitor directly I honestly don't care how it's implemented, and it doesn't matter how it's implemented.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2013, 02:56:55 pm »
The 60-in-1 board actually uses an ARM processor, running an old version of MAME.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:00:15 pm by CraftyMech »

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2013, 03:55:20 pm »
The 60-in-1 board actually uses an ARM processor, running an old version of MAME.

Really?  Mine has an Intel PXA255 and an Altera MAX II.  Are you speaking of another chip I'm not seeing or do I have a different version?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:56:59 pm by Rigby »

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2013, 04:27:00 pm »

Really?  Mine has an Intel PXA255 and an Altera MAX II.  Are you speaking of another chip I'm not seeing or do I have a different version?

The PXA255 is a 5th generation ARM processor, which may be branded as "Marvell" or "Intel". Intel sold the assets for the PXA to Marvell a few years back. The chip has the markings "C200" which classifies it as the 200MHZ version.

The Altera Max II is a CPLD, not an FPGA. CPLDs typically have far fewer gates ("course grain") and are not intended for large digital designs.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2013, 04:52:50 pm »
I am corrected.

CraftyMech

• Offline Offline
    • craftymech.com
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »
With regards to the FPGA approach, I think the issue when you are talking about a lot of games is the complexity and magnitude of that undertaking. JROK spent considerable time reverse engineering the Williams platform, and tweaking the design of his Multi-Williams board to get the game timing as close to the original as possible. Imagine the effort to implement just the set of games on the 60-in-1 for example, where you have a variety of platforms: Stern, Midway, Capcom, Nintendo, etc.. If you focused on one system, such as Capcom CPS-1, you would have more bang for the buck, but there is no way an FPGA implementation will ever touch the size of library that a basic MAME setup is capable of running, and emulating quite well.

Rigby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2013, 05:53:31 pm »
With regards to the FPGA approach, I think the issue when you are talking about a lot of games is the complexity and magnitude of that undertaking. JROK spent considerable time reverse engineering the Williams platform, and tweaking the design of his Multi-Williams board to get the game timing as close to the original as possible. Imagine the effort to implement just the set of games on the 60-in-1 for example, where you have a variety of platforms: Stern, Midway, Capcom, Nintendo, etc.. If you focused on one system, such as Capcom CPS-1, you would have more bang for the buck, but there is no way an FPGA implementation will ever touch the size of library that a basic MAME setup is capable of running, and emulating quite well.

I agree; it would be an incredible undertaking, indeed, but I don't think it would be impossible.  Many games share components, such as the Z80, for example.  I also don't really think that one would want to put all of mame on a single board; I question the legitimacy of ideas to put hundreds or thousands of games on a single cabinet.  I'd be happy with about 8 vertical games on one board, as I don't really enjoy more than about 8 of them.

I favor the FPGA idea so much for a couple reasons: A) it's fascinating to me to think that you can re-implement the old hardware on a chip.  B) there is 0 frame latency; it's the same as playing on actual hardware; no emulation.

I'm talking too much, again.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »
Finally had a chance to catch up on this thread. shanghaiguide, you really got a good one here!  All the personalities showed up for this...driverman, Xiaou2, sandheaver... entertaining! :lol

I just signed up for the newsletter, and like I told you in PM, I'd be really interested in picking up one or two of these. Hopefully development is going well.

This might have been discussed earlier (i might have skipped past it), but what are the physical dimensions of the board? Will it be enclosed in a case?

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2013, 02:17:44 pm »
I'd just be happy knowing there is progress and to hear maybe it is a month or two away from completion. Throw us a bone!  ;D

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »
Last Active: July 30, 2013, 09:47:51 pm

not feeling optimistic.

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2013, 08:50:31 pm »
That's just a few days ago though, that's not bad.  :) I have fingers crossed still, not wanting to buy one of those X number in one boards. Plugging away with my one single game PCB for now.  ;D

nagamitsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2013, 12:35:54 pm »
Facebook page shows that the board is still in the works, some hardware issues, someone hired in to help with that. Estimating another 2 months for dev boards.

Maybe one in time for Xmas?  ;D

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2013, 12:37:59 pm »
Is this you guys or someone else?  JAMMA board that runs android on arm: http://imageupper.com/g/?galID=S020001007I13789101722368129&amp;n=1

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:20 am »
 :bump for update?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2013, 02:30:01 pm »
I tried PM'ing him not too long ago, didn't get a response. It's possible he abandoned this venture.

Nianticcardplayer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2020, 12:26:44 pm
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »
Still no updates? Hoping this would have gotten back on track

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2013, 12:26:41 am »
This is dead. It was far inferior to the x86 based xxxx in 1 hardware to begin with anyway. I just wish there was someplace that sold that with drivers and blank hard drives.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

armi0024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2023, 09:57:36 pm
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2013, 03:54:11 pm »
We have been working on a Mini ITX based board set up for a while... have everything done except... the Jamma connection, maybe the Kade guys can fill that in :)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »
We have been working on a Mini ITX based board set up for a while... have everything done except... the Jamma connection, maybe the Kade guys can fill that in :)

this. It's a shame that ultracade didn't take off, that "I/O board" was really well setup and could have been used for anything since it just emulated a keyboard/mouse but plugged right into JAMMA.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »

There are more than enough dedicated cpu jamma boards out there for you to analyze. Hell, i saw one just the other day that had rigged two (s)nes shift registers for the controller input. I'm assuming it simply used sneskey or similar for the controls.

Most of the ones that have been out there though aren't too popular. They are still just ghetto rigged solutions for the same things that your average byoac member had done at the DIY level with minimal effort.

Even so, that still leaves your 15khz support issue.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »
I have a Target Terror I/O board that seems to do the same thing.

this. It's a shame that ultracade didn't take off, that "I/O board" was really well setup and could have been used for anything since it just emulated a keyboard/mouse but plugged right into JAMMA.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
I tried PM'ing him not too long ago, didn't get a response. It's possible he abandoned this venture.

According to the Facebook page on September 6, "We are alive, although we're behind schedule. Things are progressing though!"

https://www.facebook.com/openJAMMA?fref=ts

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2013, 01:58:49 am »
I have a Target Terror I/O board that seems to do the same thing.

yeah i kinda looked at that too. I thought the same with the PGA golf I/O not sure about how it's emulated though. it's USB, so i plugged it into an XP machine and it detects and installs an HID but that's about it. doesn't emulate a keyboard or anything as far as i could tell...plus it's not jamma.

well, here's to still hoping.  :cheers:

Dariusz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2018, 02:41:36 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2014, 05:41:48 pm »
Is there any WIP news on the openJAMMA project or has the project been scrapped?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:44 pm »
I was just thinking about this on my drive home and was going to  :bump for updates!

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »
Nothing on their Facebook page since Sept 5th. I'd guess this was dead. Too bad.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:43 am »
Uh,  :bump for any updates/signs of life.... :dizzy:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2014, 11:06:57 am »
This is most likely dead bro. :(

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:27 am »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:09 am »
only been like 15 months since the OP logged in

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:10 pm »
only been like 15 months since the OP logged in

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »
yup

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:36 pm »
If you take the original list and pull out the analog video, is this still interesting?

VGA
HDMI
Video out (CVBS)
USB
JAMMA
RGB OUT (via JAMMA)
Some sort storage that allows easy to update software and ROMs
SD Card (up to 32g)

What are the killer features that had folks interested in this project?
How new of games does something like this need to support?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »
JAMMASD from phoenix arcade?

anybody?

no?

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2014, 02:26:24 pm »
If you take the original list and pull out the analog video, is this still interesting?

VGA
HDMI
Video out (CVBS)
USB
JAMMA
RGB OUT (via JAMMA)
SD Card (up to 32g)

I think so.  Although, I am less than likely to purchase another tube again. 

Also, where is the audio out if I'm not using HDMI?

I can think of other things like adding wifi or bluetooth for audio & peripherals.  Adding android would be neat too.

Killer features:

The notion I could connect my controls to PCB, monitor and load the games and be on my way to gaming.  The goal as I saw it was to be xxx-in-1 that didn't suck, that you could update the emulator on.

As I'm looking over the list.  The rPi is this board, but has faced harsh criticism about being too slow.  What other board would be most suitable?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:02:17 pm by Generic Eric »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »
JAMMASD from phoenix arcade?

anybody?

no?

I don't think you can say that. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2014, 02:31:46 pm »
For me, it would be a JAMMA board that I could put my own games on and customize my own menu. Because, let's be frank, the options out there look like ass. Except for the ArcadeSD, but I'm not ready to drop $300 on that.

I don't think you can say that. 

Eric, the ArcadeSD doesn't use MAME, so it's permissible.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »

VGA
HDMI
Video out (CVBS)
USB
JAMMA
RGB OUT (via JAMMA)
SD Card (up to 32g)

Would think there would be interest for the right price point -- ie. something similar to the ArcadeSD for a price more in line with the 60 in 1s rather than the $350 price of the ArcadeSD. (For $350 a refurbished SFF PC setup makes more sense so lessens the interest considerably.)

Figure something similar to a 60 in 1 board that could be setup by the end user with a current verision of MAME, a Front end, and rom set on a SD card or similar - rather than just the 60 preset games. (figure that way no MAME program or ROM is included to keep it "Legal" but the needed software and roms are fairly easy to come by and don't require a specific file set that might be hard to find.)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2014, 03:24:48 pm »
Would think there would be interest for the right price point -- ie. something similar to the ArcadeSD for a price more in line with the 60 in 1s rather than the $350 price of the ArcadeSD. (For $350 a refurbished SFF PC setup makes more sense so lessens the interest considerably.)

Figure something similar to a 60 in 1 board that could be setup by the end user with a current verision of MAME, a Front end, and rom set on a SD card or similar - rather than just the 60 preset games. (figure that way no MAME program or ROM is included to keep it "Legal" but the needed software and roms are fairly easy to come by and don't require a specific file set that might be hard to find.)

:stupid