Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trying to get The Pinball Arcade (great pinball sim) on Steam  (Read 2917 times)

jkonami

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2014, 09:43:49 pm
Trying to get The Pinball Arcade (great pinball sim) on Steam
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »
Hey guys,

I know we have Visual Pinball and Future Pinball to choose from, but there's also another nice piece of software out there
to play some famous pins on - The Pinball Arcade.  It's not free, but it's affordable and a legal way to enjoy some nicely built tables,
and I wanted to see if I could get your help in greenlighting it on Steam.  I hope this thread is OK here - and I promise I'm not a
spammer, just a frustrated fan trying to spread some awareness in the hopes I can see this playable on my PC in the near future.

The main reason I'm writing about it is that the company who makes it, Farsight, has released on it on almost every available platform
with the exception of PC.  A lot of us would like it on PC exclusively for several reasons, a few of which are 1.) Best performance potential,
2.) they've stated that they are considering pincab support down the line, and 3.) Much shorter wait for DLC tables to come out since
there are no certification authorities like there are for console releases.  Right now their flagship platform is IOS, which is sad, because to me,
pinball needs to be played with tactile buttons.  I get no joy from playing on a tiny touch screen when I could be playing on a larger one with
custom controls.

They basically haven't been able to release it for PC yet because they must use a system with DRM built in to appease the license holders
of the tables, and the new greenlight process for Steam has proved daunting.  It works on a voting system and so far it's been rough getting the
amount of votes needed.

One of the worst things about this whole situation is they've been releasing some of the best tables ever recently, and I cannot enjoy them
crammed onto a tiny phone.  Twilight Zone and Star Trek: TNG were the last two tables that came out.  They also have:

Tales of the Arabian Nights
Theater of Magic
Bride of Pinbot
Medieval Madness
Funhouse
Gorgar
Monster Bash
Black Knight (not 2000, but hoping that's coming out soon)
Taxi
No Good Gofers
Circus Voltaire
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Scared Stiff
Ripley's Believe it or Not
Harley Davidson
Black Hole
Big Shot
and as stated before, Twilight Zone and Star Trek TNG

It's an all-star list and with more coming.  If you've ever played "The Williams Collection" for your Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii, these
are the same guys and they do good work.  All I'm asking is if you're interested too, could you pop over to the following URL and
help us out?  I think you need to have an active Steam account with at least one purchased game to vote, and I know that hurts
the numbers, but I won't waste your time if you don't want to bother.  Here's the link, you just vote "Yes" if interested:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95907686

Thanks guys!

nickbuol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 03:27:15 pm
  • 2nd Time Around
Re: Trying to get The Pinball Arcade (great pinball sim) on Steam
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:00:33 am »
Voted...

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:45 am »
voted.  thanks.

Syco54645

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2023, 05:30:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
voted a while ago. actually their flagship platform (as far as releases go) is android. they have said many times that they release for android first. it doesn't look as good as the ps3 and 360 but still looks ok. also there are still sign offs that must occur with the pc version. first the owner of the machine, be it bally, stern, etc must sign off and then the owner of the license for the tables theme... twilight zone, indiana jones, etc. i am not sure if steam would have to sign off on the changes as well. hopefully not but it is one big convoluted mess. they posted about it somewhere. maybe on their facebook.

nickbuol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 03:27:15 pm
  • 2nd Time Around
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:02:08 pm »
Agreed.  I thought that I had voted in the past for this, but I voted again anyway (the system let me), but it has been many months that they have been trying to get this on Steam.  I would rather have a stand-alone PC product for better integration into a dedicated system should someone want to do that, but as a Steam user, I will take it however I can get it.

jkonami

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2014, 09:43:49 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »
voted a while ago. actually their flagship platform (as far as releases go) is android. they have said many times that they release for android first. it doesn't look as good as the ps3 and 360 but still looks ok. also there are still sign offs that must occur with the pc version. first the owner of the machine, be it bally, stern, etc must sign off and then the owner of the license for the tables theme... twilight zone, indiana jones, etc. i am not sure if steam would have to sign off on the changes as well. hopefully not but it is one big convoluted mess. they posted about it somewhere. maybe on their facebook.

Hmm, I always notice the iOS users getting the new tables first.  I don't think they have any barriers with releasing on Android though, so maybe you're right.

Agreed.  I thought that I had voted in the past for this, but I voted again anyway (the system let me), but it has been many months that they have been trying to get this on Steam.  I would rather have a stand-alone PC product for better integration into a dedicated system should someone want to do that, but as a Steam user, I will take it however I can get it.

Maybe it will be able to run without Steam running once installed, IIRC a few games let you do that.  They have to release it through Steam or another party that uses DRM of some kind because that's what the license holders want.  And for most people, Steamworks is the most acceptable DRM method out there.

Thanks for the votes guys, every little bit helps!  Tell your other pinball buddies too!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »
Farsight borked their release date for PC in the beginning.  Can't find a link but the soonest they could do a PC release was spring '13 - at least that was the original news from them about a year ago.  I'm wondering if they're still working that while they wrestle with steam?