Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recoil Kit now available for Aimtrak Gun  (Read 21845 times)

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Recoil Kit now available for Aimtrak Gun
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:48 am »

We now have a kit available which includes a replacement trigger switch PCB with driver circuitry and a solenoid. Also there are separately available replacement gun halves which contain the lugs for holding the solenoid.

The kit requires soldering. Also requires a suitable power supply and wiring to connect this to the gun as these parts are not included.

Details are here: http://www.ultimarc.com/Recoil_kit.pdf

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Recoil Kit now available for Aimtrak Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »
Great news! Are you going to eventually sell premade, plug and play versions?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »
Hey this is cool!  Nice to have something that fits in the gun housing... I experimented with a few different solenoids and couldn't quite find a good fit like this.
Happy Gaming!

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:41 pm »
:o

:applaud:

When testing remember that the recoil only fires when the gun is aimed “on screen”.
Sweet!

I like the red shell too! You're making it harder for me to hold off on forking over my money!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:27:16 pm by Nephasth »

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:41 am »
That's pretty awesome, but as Yotsuya asked, I'd be interested to hear about the already upgraded plug and play gun.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:47 am »
I'm pretty sure we'd still have to provide our own power supply to run the recoil, but if everything is soldered and installed, and people just have to connect to two wires.... that would be sweet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pinballjim

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:28 am »
Wow, getting almost as good as an EMS Top Gun.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:59 pm »

Almost as good? The Topgun is a Guncon-compatible device which has a resolution of 240 x 196 and uses a PC driver to emulate a mouse. The minimum distance issue is well-known.

The Aimtrak uses a method (which has a US patent pending) of allowing a much shorter distance, requires no driver and is a native mouse device with a resolution of 1024 x 768. Its also does not need large LED housings and it much faster.

There is also no comparison at all between the recoil of the Aimtrak and Topgun. The Aimtrak is an arcade-standard device.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »
That's pretty awesome, but as Yotsuya asked, I'd be interested to hear about the already upgraded plug and play gun.

We are considering what to do on this. There was a choice between using a USB powered recoil or to do the job properly and use the same method as arcade guns use. We chose the latter (which incidentally rules out wireless) but it does mean it needs a 24 volt power supply.

I will be looking into power supply sources which are compatible with worldwide power outlets but there are also many regulatory issues involved with this.

But as has been mentioned there is another option of assembled gun but without power supply so that might be the way forward.

Afterburner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »

Almost as good? The Topgun is a Guncon-compatible device which has a resolution of 240 x 196 and uses a PC driver to emulate a mouse. The minimum distance issue is well-known.

The Aimtrak uses a method (which has a US patent pending) of allowing a much shorter distance, requires no driver and is a native mouse device with a resolution of 1024 x 768. Its also does not need large LED housings and it much faster.

There is also no comparison at all between the recoil of the Aimtrak and Topgun. The Aimtrak is an arcade-standard device.

As an EMS Topgun owner this statement by Andy is likely why I'll have an Aimtrak on my list this Christmas.  I have gotten the Topgun working enough to use it a few times but it has always been a hassle and I was never as happy with the experience as I was with the concept.

Set a couple aside for me.

[/quote]
  2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »
The AimTrak is a kick-ass product!!!

I've beat the tar out of it testing it in my namco kit... its super reliable and very accurate.

It's the only gun option IMO.  I also challenge any other gun manufacturer to come even remotely close to the level of support that Andy provides!
Happy Gaming!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:10 am »

We are considering what to do on this. There was a choice between using a USB powered recoil or to do the job properly and use the same method as arcade guns use. We chose the latter (which incidentally rules out wireless) but it does mean it needs a 24 volt power supply.

I will be looking into power supply sources which are compatible with worldwide power outlets but there are also many regulatory issues involved with this.

But as has been mentioned there is another option of assembled gun but without power supply so that might be the way forward.

a battery pack like a mag could work andy? would give the gun a nice weighted feel

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:58:43 pm »

New firmware and a new config utility is now available which when used with a recoil-enabled gun gives variable recoil strength, including off.

As always the selected value is retained in the gun after power off/on.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »

New firmware and a new config utility is now available which when used with a recoil-enabled gun gives variable recoil strength, including off.

As always the selected value is retained in the gun after power off/on.

I'm diggin this feature!
Happy Gaming!

jroyal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2014, 10:28:48 am
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »
I am interested in getting a gun working on my machine and adding games such as Area 51, Timecrisis, Duckhunt, etc.  Andy, I have worked with you in the past and would say your customer service is top notch.    I would be intersted in the preinstalled recoil guns.  Can two of the Aimtrack guns be installed on one machine?  Also, the recoil action, does that operate the slide on top of the gun or does it just create a "kick?"

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:12:18 pm by jroyal »

mooseman1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2013, 05:46:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »
I think it's just vibration, not an actual moving slide, I could be wrong though. I'd still be interested in a prebuilt gun (again, as I already own a standard Aimtrak.)

Savannan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2012, 10:53:06 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:02 pm »
I would only be interested if it comes pre-assembled...except the power supply of course

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:39 pm »
If I purchase the AimTrak kit, Recoil Kit, Replacement shells and provide a power supply do I have everything I need to build my own?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »
I am interested in getting a gun working on my machine and adding games such as Area 51, Timecrisis, Duckhunt, etc.  Andy, I have worked with you in the past and would say your customer service is top notch.    I would be intersted in the preinstalled recoil guns.  Can two of the Aimtrack guns be installed on one machine?  Also, the recoil action, does that operate the slide on top of the gun or does it just create a "kick?"

Thanks.

Up to 4 can be used on one machine and they can all be assigned unique IDs which they retain.

The recoil uses a solenoid and weight mounted inside the gun which gives a kick. Its quite realistic. It does not use a continuously rotating motor which is stalled to give a knock as that seems a very poor solution and having a motor continually whirring inside the gun just seems wrong.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:37 am »
The recoil uses a solenoid and weight mounted inside the gun which gives a kick. Its quite realistic. It does not use a continuously rotating motor which is stalled to give a knock as that seems a very poor solution and having a motor continually whirring inside the gun just seems wrong.

Oh, is that how they do it? I thought it spun only when activated. Either way, a cheesy approach for a gun, so you done right.
-Banned-

Afterburner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
If I purchase the AimTrak kit, Recoil Kit, Replacement shells and provide a power supply do I have everything I need to build my own?

I was getting ready to add this to my Xmas list to give the wife and wondered exactly the same thing.  Although it looks like if the pre-boxed version includes the recoil kit the price difference is negligible and would be easier to get the pre-built/pre-tested boxed gun.

However, if the recoil kit is an add-on that would have to be purchased in addition to the boxed gun, then it looks like the DIY version of ordering the components is both in the spirit of the arcade building community as well as saves you a few bucks.

Andy:   Can you clarify if a) boxed gun includes recoil and b) if ordering the internals, gun shell, and recoil kit include everything required for a full-up gun?
  2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
I've posted some pics of the components in the gun as well as a video of the gun with recoil working over at the Hyperspin forum in this thread:http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?20938-Aimtrak-diy-recoil-kit-released!!/page4

If you read that thread you'll see some of my challenges. I wouldn't consider it a light DIY project, plan on taking several hours. 9 different things to solder and cramming the components in the gun without breaking the solder points of the smaller wires is tricky. There are also additional expenses like power wire and power supplies. Despite the setup being a little more difficult than I anticipated (and the expense of the extra items needed) the end result is pretty decent and met my expectations. The solenoid has decent power, it's not throwing the gun back in your hand by any means but adds to the shooting effect.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:38:45 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

pinballjim

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
Does it stop recoiling when you point away from the screen and pull the trigger?  I couldn't tell from your video.

$29 + shipping + power supply + hours of work + already expensive AimTrak setup = Yeesh.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 09:01:41 pm »
Yes it has to be pointed at the screen for the solenoid to work. You can tell in the video where it's not firing for a bit because I'm trying to turn it sideways to show the side of the gun.

It is rather tedious and expensive but no more so than the home brewed options out there and in the end probably more reliable.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Nephasth

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »
I'd like to see the coil running off 36V...

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »
It'd be interesting to see. The only places I could find them online they were either really expensive though ($60+) or from large distributors with minimum orders of 1000 etc.

Nephasth

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:17 pm »
About $15 shipped on ebay…

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 12:05:41 am »
Link? It also can't be over 5amps.

Popcorrin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:21 am »

+ hours of work

You should be pretty handy putting it together since you are such a tool.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:50 am »
I was thinking of adding that to my list as well.  My wife has bought me things from Ultimarc for Christmas in the past.  She thinks it is funny/cool we have to order this stuff all the way from London.  She even drops Andy's name when talking about my cabinet.   ;D

I was getting ready to add this to my Xmas list to give the wife and wondered exactly the same thing.  Although it looks like if the pre-boxed version includes the recoil kit the price difference is negligible and would be easier to get the pre-built/pre-tested boxed gun.

However, if the recoil kit is an add-on that would have to be purchased in addition to the boxed gun, then it looks like the DIY version of ordering the components is both in the spirit of the arcade building community as well as saves you a few bucks.

Andy:   Can you clarify if a) boxed gun includes recoil and b) if ordering the internals, gun shell, and recoil kit include everything required for a full-up gun?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 11:47:44 pm »
I've updated the thread below on the Hyperspin board with a video of the inside of the AimTraks with the solenoid kicking off of 20v and 24v power supplies for comparison if anyone is interested. Haven't got a 36v supply to test yet.

:http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?20938-Aimtrak-diy-recoil-kit-released!!/page4

FALSE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:46 pm »

I'd like an answer to this to.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 04:05:51 pm »
Here's everything that I ended up getting along with the approximate costs:

• Replacement Gun Shells - $14x2=$28
  • Recoil Kits - $29x2=$58
  • Shipping from Ultimarc - ~$15
  • Power Plugs to plug/unplug gun power - ~$10 from Radio Shack
  • Small Gauge solid two-wire spool (inside gun wire)- ~$10 from Radio Shack
  • 30' Lamp Wire (outside gun wire), I think i got 18 gauge - ~$15 from Lowes/Home Depot
  • Black Gorilla Duct Tape to wrap the wires together - ~$10 from Lowes/Home Depot
  • 2 power supplies - ~$30

Approximate cost: $176.00 for two guns

nick3092

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 03:57:28 pm
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »

I'd like an answer to this to.

I actually emailed Andy on this, and a clarification on the power supply (as 5A seemed high to me).

The shells are just that. No trigger, side button, screws, etc. He also said "The PSU can be 5 amps or anything above this." I'm not an expert at electronics, but 5+ A seems kinda high.

Nephasth

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »
It also can't be over 5amps.
He also said "The PSU can be 5 amps or anything above this." I'm not an expert at electronics, but 5+ A seems kinda high.

Conflicting information...

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »
This is straight from the instruction manual PDF: You will need a power supply which can output 20-36 volts with a peak current of 5 amps. The best type would be a simple unregulated unit although some laptop supplies output the required voltage/current and would be suitable. Old laptop supplies should be easy to find on Ebay.

Also before I had the right power supply I hooked mine up to a standard PC 12v power supply just to test (which I think is 25amps) and left it sit for about 10 minutes and the solenoid got super hot and melted both sides of the gun shell so I'm pretty certain the amperage needs to be low.

I just ordered 2 of the 36V power supplies suggested by Nephasth from ebay and will post a sample video of the kick they give vs. the 20 and 24v supplies I was trying. Not sure if the amperage affects the kick at all or if it's just the voltage. The 36v power supplies are 1.7amp and the 24v I'm using is 5v so we'll see.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:58:27 pm by 8BitMonk »

Nephasth

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »
I just ordered 2 of the 36V power supplies suggested by Nephasth from ebay and will post a sample video of the kick they give vs. the 20 and 24v supplies I was trying.

Looking forward to it! :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:07 pm »

The shells are just that. No trigger, side button, screws, etc. He also said "The PSU can be 5 amps or anything above this." I'm not an expert at electronics, but 5+ A seems kinda high.

Thanks for checking on that.   :cheers:

I figured it was too good to be true.

nick3092

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 03:57:28 pm
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 10:26:13 pm »
And my post came straight from the guy who wrote the PDF. He also said in that PDF that unregulated is best. Meaning no limit to the amperage is fine.

I know selenoids are a little different in their current usage, but typically a device will not use more current than it needs. Which is why you can use a power supply with higher amperage than required. But you need to match the voltage.  Same reason your toaster doesn't burn out on a 20A circuit vs on a 15A circuit.

But if you had a short in your wiring, that wold explain excessive current draw.

Actually, the more I think about it, low voltage could cause an excess current draw. It happens in electric motors. They heat up durring brown out conditions when the voltage drops.

I'd be interested in hearing from any one who know more than my basic voltage x amps = wattage knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:55:29 pm by nick3092 »