Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A question about speakers for my MAME cabinet  (Read 2519 times)

ArcadeSeeker962

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2012, 09:58:05 am
  • Yes, a fighting snow man does exist!
A question about speakers for my MAME cabinet
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »
For the MAME cabinet, me and my father decided on computer speakers for the MAME cabinet. The problem is though, I'm not sure how well the sound will come through if I choose computer speakers. So, is there a special type of speaker available that I can hook up to my MAME cabinet so that the sound will come through? If there is one like that's available, where can I buy it from?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: A question about speakers for my MAME cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »
The sound you will hear depends on many factors.  Are the speakers going to be located behind a marquee, are they going to be located to the back of the machine, the front of the machine?

If you cut speaker recesses or grooves then the sound will be better then the speakers fully enclosed in the machine. Also the better the speakers then the better the sound you will be able to produce.

If you can face the speakers downwards behind the marquee and have either the grooves or recesses you will probably get the best results (Short of having the speakers aimed directly at you). This is because sound should bounce off the monitor and then towards where you are standing/sitting.

ArcadeSeeker962

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2012, 09:58:05 am
  • Yes, a fighting snow man does exist!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:23:26 pm »
The sound you will hear depends on many factors.  Are the speakers going to be located behind a marquee, are they going to be located to the back of the machine, the front of the machine?

If you can face the speakers downwards behind the marquee and have either the grooves or recesses you will probably get the best results (Short of having the speakers aimed directly at you). This is because sound should bounce off the monitor and then towards where you are standing/sitting.

I'm planning on having the speakers behind the monitor, since that sounds like the best way to have the sound travel(like how some arcade machines are). I'm planning on keeping the marquee without any holes, because I'm going to add the title of my cabinet to me and my father's MAME cabinet. Anyhow, thank you for answering my question. I've been taking more research now instead of asking questions(along with buying the newest edition of the book that saint published), since that's what everybody recommended.

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:20:50 am »
hey the books great youll find a great section on dealing with sound in yr cab :)
if i understand correctly your idea will cause you a muffled effect
best solution will be look at the book when it arrives and plan ahead for where the sound will travel from
speakers at front similar to those found in vewlix systems have speakers aimed at you and open, your idea to stick them behind bezel and such as said above will muffle the sound its like take a speaker and place that speaker in a box the lack of air movement creates flat muffled sound against somewhere with an open area :)
if you want your sound to travel at you the speakers must in turn be at the front :)
an idea would be use part of the marquee area and isntead of aiming the speaker down as most do aim it outwards towards you of course the speaker in any given situation is far better heard when slots holes or even the whole area is cut out for the sound to go :)
enjoy the book anyhow ...