Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New cab, first attempt. (mostly done with pics)  (Read 2969 times)

Junai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2015, 10:13:24 am
New cab, first attempt. (mostly done with pics)
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:20 am »
Trying to motivate myself into finishing this thing.  Started in early September last year with a generic cab I purchased for 20 bucks and went from there.  This is just a learning experience cab really so I can make my mistakes here instead on the cab I really want to make.

As of today it is sporting the following features:

25.5" Wide Generic Cab
24" Sony Wega CRT TV, decased
AMD 2.1 Ghz dual core cpu with 4 GB of ram and a 9800GT 512MB graphics card (connecting to the TV via component) with Win 7
Zippyy 8 way joysticks
7 buttons for each player with player start and coin buttons
2.25" trackball with 3 mouse buttons mounted over player 1
3 admin buttons mounted over player 2 (escape, pause, and a yet to be determined function button)
GPWiz 40 USB controller
Compact usb keyboard (stored in the control panel)
2 sheets of 1/4" thick solar grey plexi from Tap Plastics (highly recommended, first sheet had a cracked corner, they sent out a new one same day for me for free to replace it so now I have it doubled up for a darker display will hold a paper bezel later between them)
Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers
22" Fluorescent light fixture for marquee
Graphics from Game on Grafix (also highly recommended)
Aluminium kickplate
Cup holders
Hyperspin front end

Other features that I rigged together include internal 4 outlets with GFI and surge protection, a main power switch on top of the cab, and some LED accent lighting under the control panel.

I had to basically refinish the whole cab using bondo and wood filler to try to hide the holes, dents, and major imperfections on the cab.  I then primered and painted the whole thing which now looking back on the cost and time spent, I should have just laminated the whole thing and been done with it.  I repainted the coin door and replaced the bulbs with LEDS from an auto parts store to run off 12VDC along with 2 blue LEDs under the control panel (pulled from the CPU).  I made a control panel top from 3/4" MDF and laid out the controls by hand (wish I knew about the CP layout website to help me, next time maybe) routed and chisled the top and bottom to allow flush mounted controls filled with bondo and primered and painted the thing before applying the graphics.  I got some light blue T-molding from tmolding.com and used that to replace the damaged, ruined black molding that was originally on the cab.  The computer is an old desktop I don't use anymore that will be replaced with an old Dell I have sitting around for when I get around to selling this thing (to fund my much better and more personalized cab), currently it is running Hyperspin as my front end and haven't decided if it is what I want to keep going on with.

Now for what is yet to come.  I am not happy at all with how the CP graphics look applied, going to attempt to remove and reapply or order a new one and be a little more careful applying it.  The TV needs adjustment before I call it done.  I need to make a bezel for the monitor.  I need to finish the rear door.  The door is cut but needs to be painted and have an exhuast fan mounted on it.  Replace the coin return buttons with blue ones from Happ and add blue LEDS to them.  Remount the marquee light and add a reflector to make the marquee light up better.

Now for the pics...

The jug on the ground looks like pee, but its mead (wine made from honey), didn't want to confuse anyone with it but am will to swap recipes or brewing info with those interested.  Welcome to my other hobby.

When I finish, I'll use my 12MP camera instead of a crummy cellphone but until then, enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:17:58 am by Junai »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 07:09:08 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: New cab, first attempt. (mostly done with pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »
Looks real good!!

About that jug, I dont think my pee has ever looked like that. Maybe you should see a doc?

Junai

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »
Ha!  Actually when lit, its a soft yellow color.  Also forgot to add the joysticks have the black Hand Candy ball tops on them from ggg, very nice compared to the stock tops.

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »
Damn, you picked that up for only $20?  Do you feel bad for stealing from that poor seller?  Also does he have any more cabs and do you live in Houston?
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Junai

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »
Yep but he got it for free so he still made out on it.  I have another cab that may end up being for sale (might end up mameing it and sell it), 26.5" wide old mk jamma cab that was converted to tekken 2, got it from the same guy.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »
I don't know what the rest of your costs are but you're probably in the running for cheapest great looking cabinet right now.  Well done on multiple levels.   :applaud:

Junai

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: New cab, first attempt. (mostly done with pics)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »
I would guess I am at around $900-$1000 not including shipping costs, external hdd for the roms and vids, rom DVD burning service, the emumovies subscription, tools, hardware/supplies I had lying around, and I am still thinking I am missing some costs.  I also have to figure I have spent 60-80 hours in building and configuring the cab.  I also bought lots of stuff that ended up being temporary or not used at all.  I am way over budget but I still feel I have made out cheaper than most.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Junai

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:00:24 pm »
Woo update.  Worked on rear door, its cut primered but still havent gotten around to finishing the paint.  Swinging by happ later today to grab the new coin returns and leds so those will be installed tonight.  Adjusted the tv, its not too bad but the lack of picture quality is more than made up with the larger picture size.  Tomorrow I plan on remounting the marquee light and figuring out a reflector for it.  Pics to come soon.   After this weekend I still have figure out the cpo issue and paint the rear door but after that this bad boy is done.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 11:01:29 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »
LOL thanks for clearing up what the jug was for!! I was thinking "Damn this guy is dedicated to playing non stop". Cab and CP look great good job!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:19:46 pm by 05SRT4 »