Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Buy Fail (again)  (Read 10416 times)

dre-w

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2015, 10:45:17 am
  • The Breakfast Club
    • FB... b/c my wife made me do it
Best Buy Fail (again)
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/01/02/why-best-buy-is-going-out-of-business-gradually/

..and it's all b/c of that one video game I bought that was mispriced
These machines will be the death of me

Richard_Nixon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2012, 08:44:07 pm
  • Now listen here you drugged up communist.
Re: Best Buy Fail (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »
They might downsize and get out of the video game/movie/music buisness. But I highly doubt they are disapearing anytime soon. Not too many people want to buy a 50 inch flatscreen or a new laptop off the internet. Of course there are other stores to buy these from, but the buying power of chain stores give most people what they want, lower prices.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:08:42 pm »
Not too many people want to buy a 50 inch flatscreen or a new laptop off the internet.

I did. Off Amazon for dirt cheap and it was delivered to me fast and even brought upstairs by the deliveryman. I'd do it again in a second. No pushy salespeople; I was able to research and decide at my pace. And all I spent was a couple of dollars on cables instead of the $30 to $50 Best Buy would charge.

That article was spot on. Going to Best Buy is an exercise in frustration.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:11:50 pm by DaveMMR »

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:41 pm »
Yeah, Tele-buying a la Farenheit 451 is near - and I support it.
-Banned-

Richard_Nixon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:28 pm »
Not too many people want to buy a 50 inch flatscreen or a new laptop off the internet.

I did. Off Amazon for dirt cheap and it was delivered to me fast and even brought upstairs by the deliveryman. I'd do it again in a second. No pushy salespeople; I was able to research and decide at my pace. And all I spent was a couple of dollars on cables instead of the $30 to $50 Best Buy would charge.
I guess I'm biased by my Canadian view. There aren't too many online electronics retailers in Canada. The Canadian version of Amazon is about 1/16 that of the American counterpart.
I would buy online as well if warrenty wasent such a big issue. (Most US product sent to Canada loses it's warrenty) Although I do buy plenty of my electronics off the internet, its stuff that I could care less about warrenty.  So when I'm in the market for some big ticket electronics, it's either go to Best Buy, Future Shop (same idea, owned by Best Buy) or smaller electronic shops.
I'm just guessing but I would think that alot of the +50 crowd isn't too comfortable with spending $1500 online.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:53 am »
Mr Nixon, Mr. Cleese would like a quiet word if you would be so kind.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:20:27 am »
This part of the article hit the nail on the head:

... and that Amazon customers use Best Buy as their showroom, taking advantage of the extensive, well-stocked locations ...

This is the ONLY reason I've ever stepped into a Best Buy.  When I need to see a product in person, I go down and take a look.  Then I go home and order it online for 20-40% less.  ;)

Best Buy is a horrible store because as the article says, the store is too busy pushing their services and tie-ins to actually train their employees about the products they sell and to arrage their store to the consumers needs. 

So yeah, I would hate to see it go, but only because it is a good place to demo products.  ;)

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:08 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:01:47 am »
Great article and 100% on the money.  Shortly after moving into our new home, my wife sent me out to Best Buy to get a new TV that was on sale.  Of course, it wasn't available and although I did purchase one (she wanted it that day), I had to make my way through one sales person after another trying to push everything from special cables to support plans.  Haven't been back since.  The next TV was purchased from Newegg and it was delivered to the door, hassle free, tax free, and with free shipping.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:26:38 am »
I'd hate for them to go out of business. They periodically come in handy. Hopefully they'll get their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- together before it's too late. My most recent experience with Best Buy was very positive. I stayed with friends while visiting Miami earlier this month. My friends love trivia games but have never heard of You Don't Know Jack. So I wanted to pick it up for their PS3 as a thank you gift, but every Gamestop I called didn't have it in Stock. Luckily Best Buy is a better videogame store than the videogame store.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:32:26 am »
I haven't gone in a Best Buy for months. Anyone else feel like telling them to shove it when they ask for your receipt when you try to leave?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:27:24 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:49:42 am »
Only time I ever shopped there was to buy a new TV after I moved.

I got a 10% off anything in Best Buy coupon when I filled out the change of address packet at the post office...

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:08 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:16 am »
When Best Buy first opened in our area, they were great.  Then the decline came.  After Circuit City went away, it got even worse.  I would love to see them get back to the way they were but right now they are starting to look more and more like CompUSA. 

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 07:28:30 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:58:06 am »
I haven't gone in a Best Buy for months. Anyone else feel like telling them to shove it when they ask for your receipt when you try to leave?

I do tell them to shove it. I do not show my receipt. Pet peeve of mine.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:14:03 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:42 am »
I've never had an issue with showing my receipt. There's other stores that make you do it as well, so I'm just used to it. I'm not hiding anything, so I guess it doesn't bother me. Radio Shack's former policy of getting your address EVERY TIME YOU PURCHASED SOMETHING was worse, IMHO.

What cracks me up are people I know who hate store greeters.

Having said all that, I rarely go to BB anymore either. Last time I went in there, the place seemed like a sad shell of its 1996 self.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:03:48 am by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
who the hell is buying anything from worstbuy lol..? especially now when you can get EVERYTHING online and usually cheaper.

you dont have to show any receipt at all. you can just walk away. what I dont understand is why those 99cent store "security guard"(LOL) wanna see receipt. are they really planning on going through my bags? SMH! :angry:

speaking of that, friend of mine was telling me how he bought a "monster hdmi cable" from worstbuy for only $80 :laugh2: I couldn't stop laughing. I told him that any random hdmi cable from monoprice is the same thing but still couldn't convince him to return it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:43:20 am by SNAAKE »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 11:14:20 am »
Yeah, the article never went into the deliberate price gouging. Last time I looked, the cheapest HDMI cable is a 3 footer in the $40-$50 range, and I remember the thread about their $1000-$2000 HDMI cables. Any company that does that should have no right to complain that Amazon is "stealing their business".  ::)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »
I have my issues with Best Buy but am concerned about not having a local option so I still buy from them unless it is a major price difference.  I'm not interested in ONLY buying things over the Internet but it looks like that is the direction we are headed if the only value of Brick and Mortar for most people is to demo.  Even Target is starting to complain about the practice.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:35 pm »
In their defense, Amazon won't unbox the thing and plug it in either.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »
I'm in the market for a TV right now, I did exactly what Howard_Castro did, I saw a TV I wanted on Amazon, took ---my bottom--- to best buy to check it out. Totally fell in love with it. Of course the price difference was about 900 bucks, so can you guess where i'm going to buy it from? :laugh2: Soo... thanks for letting me check it out, Best Buy!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »

Give me a break.  Don't have a lot of sympathy for stores that make it difficult to give them money.

I'm not asking for you to sympathize with Best Buy or Target.  My motives are purely selfish.  I like to save money but I also enjoy shopping there and will put up with some inconvenience.    My son and I spent an hour at Best Buy Saturday night while my wife shopped for clothes at Kohls next door.  We had a lot of fun looking at games together and trying out headphones.  On the way out the door I picked up Turbo Tax.  Yeah I could have saved $5 buying it on Amazon but I was there and could take it home with me.

My only point is if this trend continues you will ONLY be buying online.  You will not have a local option to go view the TV and then screw Target, Best Buy whoever by buying online. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 12:43:48 pm »
In cases where a store is obnoxious to me, I have no problem tossing an open item back at them. I don't need to give them my money that badly.

I remember a few years ago I bought a new water heater from the hardware store because my old one went out. With no time to deal hunt, I just picked one up and installed it. The next day I noticed in the sales flyer that the water heater I bought was $30 off, but they never lowered the price like they should have. Being the cheapskate I am, my wife and I went down there and asked for a price correction. The GM was rude and said that the prices only become valid after they enter it in their computer, which was complete BS. Funny thing is, my wife used to work for their corporate office and knew their price policies inside and out, so she started to cite the internal policy on promotions. Even though I got a chuckle out of it, it was pretty much just stirring the hornets nest that she knew company policies better than him and he got even more stubborn.

We finally decided to leave, but last minute I told the guy that the box would be missing when I return the water heater, but I would do my best to drain the water out beforehand. The guy's eyes got as big as saucers and all he could stammer out was "You would return an already installed water heater?" I said "Well, yeah. I can just price match this at Sears."

I promptly got the $30 difference back.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »
Yeah, the article never went into the deliberate price gouging. Last time I looked, the cheapest HDMI cable is a 3 footer in the $40-$50 range, and I remember the thread about their $1000-$2000 HDMI cables. Any company that does that should have no right to complain that Amazon is "stealing their business".  ::)

But you know, really EVERY brick and mortar store over-prices their hdmi cables.  The average price for a "cheap one" and your local S-MART  is 30 to 40 bucks. 

The way I figure it if I'm getting that exact same cable shipped directly from China (free shipping I might add) for only 1-2 bucks then they should only charge a MAXIMUM of 5-7 bucks for one.  That's giving them a 100% markup and extra few bucks for "overhead" which I'm fairly convinced doesn't really exist.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »
Man, I hope they dont go under, I buy most of my music from Best Buy, and the occasional game. Ordering online sucks because you have to wait for things. What if its tuesday, and I didnt know the new Children of Bodom CD came out that day, and I wanted to run to Best buy to get it, and they were closed? I would have to wait a week. Yes, I sound like a child, or selfish, but I hate having to wait for things. I dont like not having an actual store to go to, yes, the BB employees are borderline brain dead, but I just ignore them. I mean cmon, if you know how to talk to people, you can work around them, get what you need, and bail. I like just casually walking around the store seeing if I want to buy something else.

But then, as with Vigos story, people suck and you dont want to have to deal with them. Its the corporations man...

I hope Target doesnt go the same route of being only online, that would suck. Where would I get my undershirts and boxers?!  :o

I dont buy stuff from Amazon unless its a book or something, and thats super rare.
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:29 pm »
Radio Shack's former policy of getting your address EVERY TIME YOU PURCHASED SOMETHING was worse, IMHO.

True! Just let me get out of the store!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »
Back when I was in the market to buy my first digital camera, some pimple faced kid told me I HAD to buy a card reader instead of using the cable to transfer images to my computer. He tried to explain that it would prevent my camera from getting a virus.  :laugh2:

I bought my camera online and NEVER use Best Buy for anything other than a showroom.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:29:21 pm »
camera virus :laugh2:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:57:45 am
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »
I just use Best Buy as an internet show room. I have my iphone with the red eye app and just scan the bar code and it pulls everywhere that item is sold and the prices. Best buy is rarely the best price.

Richard_Nixon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:12 pm »

But you know, really EVERY brick and mortar store over-prices their hdmi cables.  The average price for a "cheap one" and your local S-MART  is 30 to 40 bucks. 

The way I figure it if I'm getting that exact same cable shipped directly from China (free shipping I might add) for only 1-2 bucks then they should only charge a MAXIMUM of 5-7 bucks for one.  That's giving them a 100% markup and extra few bucks for "overhead" which I'm fairly convinced doesn't really exist.

Are you saying overhead doesn't exist or finding an HDMI cable at that price doesn't exist.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex+Direct+-+6'+HDMI+Cable/9343061.p?id=1218088202342&skuId=9343061&st=hdmi cable&cp=1&lp=5

Blux

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:49:33 am
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:39 pm »
Seeing this thread makes me sad >.<  I work on the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

Most of the guys I work with know there ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, but there will always be the retarded ones that say retarded things I guess.

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 08:00:07 pm »
Those exorbitantly priced audioquest cables are still on their site.  HA!

I like BB.  I don't generally have any issues with anybody pushing anything on me.  They generally ask me once when I buy something, and that's it.  If someone comes up to me (which is only one time per visit, if at all) I tell them I don't need any assistance.

I will not buy any big ticket items on the internet.  TVs and such will be bought in stores.  I'm not wasting a vacation/sick day just to wait for my stuff that the deliveryman might not even deliver on time...or in one piece.  And I'm certainly not leaving a large box outside that looks suspiciously like a 50+ inch television for anyone to take while I'm still working if I don't take that vacation/sick day.

The article never mentioned BB's failed attempts at market share in China by opening their stores there.  I believe there were 7 or 8 initially, and all have been shuttered.  They instead took over an existing name that I've forgotten that already is a staple there.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

I do tell them to shove it. I do not show my receipt. Pet peeve of mine.

+1

Unwarranted search or some such. There was a paper a few ago about how stores don't actually have the right to examine your receipt or bag once you paid for the itmes as a condition of leaving the store. Stores are getting "smart" about that. Shove-it-in-your- ass -Mart will try to refuse the refund if  the receipt isn't "marked".

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 09:24:46 pm »
99% of the time, a kid peeks in my bag, marks my receipt, and I'm on my way. Takes 5 seconds.  :dunno

The other 1% of the time, they count items. Adds maybe 3-4 seconds at the most.

In any case, I wouldn't take it out on the worker. They didn't make the policy.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 07:28:30 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »
I'm never rude, but I simply refuse. Unless it's a member club of some kind where I've agreed to those terms, I refuse. Walmart never asks anymore. One time I got a bit of flak, and I told the door person if I showed them my receipt it would be the last time I ever shopped at their store. They sent me on my way without looking at the receipt.

I never gave Radio Shack my address either when I was paying cash.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
Saint-

I'm curious why you feel that way. No judgement on my part, but why does it bother you?

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 10:41:27 pm »
While I agree Saint and the others are right about not showing the receipt, I'm like yotsuya in that I just show my receipt, let the guy mark it and skip on my merry way. I kind of understand why they do it (loss prevention - in theory at least) and I'd rather just be out the door by complying instead of getting into anything. Then again, I'm not in these stores all that much anymore anyhow.

I will not buy any big ticket items on the internet.  TVs and such will be bought in stores.  I'm not wasting a vacation/sick day just to wait for my stuff that the deliveryman might not even deliver on time...or in one piece.  And I'm certainly not leaving a large box outside that looks suspiciously like a 50+ inch television for anyone to take while I'm still working if I don't take that vacation/sick day.

That is a bit of a downside but when I got my TV off Amazon, they sourced the delivery out to a indepdent company with which I set a scheduled time. And Amazon made absolutely sure everything went smoothly with the shipment by contacting me after all was said and done to ensure I had my item, was satisfied and this company didn't mess anything up.  And even without all that bending over backwards, the fact that I saved a couple of hundred dollars made any inconvenience worth it in my opinion.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:46:01 pm by DaveMMR »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »
Saint-

I'm curious why you feel that way. No judgement on my part, but why does it bother you?

Can't speak for Saint, but it feels like an accusation to me. If all stores did it, maybe I would get used to it, and at least at Costco I have a cart full of unbagged stuff and those stores are always crazy, but I am not sure why Best Buy feels the need to do so. I also find it kind of funny that most BBs I have been in basically funnel shoppers directly from the checkout lanes to the exit doors- it bugs me to have someone (door person) in plain sight of the transaction I just made want to see the receipt of said transaction, as if something shady happened in those ten steps. It really bugs me, and seems unnecessary, since everything in the store has anti theft tags in them anyway. I don't think (much like gutted copies of games at Game$top) that the "security" measure is worth the ill will from folks like me.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:39 am »
At most big-box retail stores, the purpose of the egress door "security" is not to prevent customers from stealing things off the shelf, it's to prevent a form of fraud where the "purchaser" and the cashier are in cahoots.

Basically:
*Your buddy gets a job at the store as a cashier
*You go in an pick up some moderately priced, bulky items (like some mouse pads) and one relatively expensive, small item (like a large SD card)
*You to the cashier and make sure you get your buddy.  If for some reason you don't, you just come back and return everything later and try again some other day.
*Your buddy rings up the bulky, moderately priced stuff, placing it in your bag, and "forgets" to ring up the expensive, small item, yet it somehow also makes its way into the bag.
*You walk out and optionally come back to return the bulky, moderately priced items.  You pocket the expensive, small item or sell it for cash on e.g. eBay.

This can be thwarted by having an independent party (the door checker) verify that everything in your bags are also on your receipt.  You could still attempt to place things in pockets or whatever, but that can get a bit more suspicious looking, and most retail packaging in the USA intentionally makes that difficult.  Now, at least at my local Fry's, they don't really seem to actually check this very well.  The door person pretty much just looks at your receipt way too quickly to actually read it, looks in your bag, marks it, and sends you on your merry way.  They may be looking in the bag for items commonly susceptible to this particular fraud, though.

Obviously, you can get around this protection by having the shopper, cashier, AND door person in cahoots, but that's a lot harder.  A good manager will watch out for such conflicts (having a cashier that also knows a door person personally scheduled at the same time).

FWIW, no, they generally have no authority to detain you, and you can generally decline to be searched.  If they honestly believe that you did steal something, they can elect to detain you until police arrive, but if they turn out to be wrong, you can sue them for that detainment, so most loss prevention people tend to be VERY unwilling to do that.  Note that some membership stores (like Costco) have you enter into a contract as part of your membership whereby you agree to such searches.  Some stores also post a notice upon entry that you could be searched, and IIRC the validity of such statements varies by state (and country, of course).  IANAL, yada yada.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 04:05:44 am »

Are you saying overhead doesn't exist or finding an HDMI cable at that price doesn't exist.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex+Direct+-+6'+HDMI+Cable/9343061.p?id=1218088202342&skuId=9343061&st=hdmi cable&cp=1&lp=5

I'm saying that "overhead" is a generic term invented to warrant unnecessary markup.  It's the equivelent to "processing and handling".  Mind you I realize that true overhead does exist, but how much overhead could you possibly have on a single item amoung thousands in your big-box store?  A dollar?  Two?  If you sell cars or appliances, sure, there is some overhead because those things are huge and have special shipping and storage costs, but your average widget... you have the overhead of getting it shipped to you (which per-unit should be virtually nothing) and having it stocked on the shelf (which again, per-unit should be zilch). 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:38 am »
I think its also worth noting that the link to the HDMI cable isn't available in stores, you have to special order it to the store and pick up up 5-7 days later. I checked all the cables by price, and couldn't find one that is stocked in store until I got to the $20-30 range. (which I admit is an improvement from a year ago)

It kinda makes me mad that there is proof they have much cheaper cables to sell, but intentionally will not stock it in-store to screw customers who go to their store. Do they really not get what they are doing wrong?

:angry:

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:33 am »
I have to wonder, though, if they really are doing something wrong. Lots of stores, including Wal-mart and Radio Shack, sell HDMI cables. But not a single one opts to lower the price of cables to anything less than at least a 2000% markup. It's silly to think that there's actual price fixing going on, and all these stores have very sophisticated mechanisms and intelligent professionals determining optimal pricing. You'd think that at least one of them would get it "right". I have to kind of assume that they've determined with some degree of certainty that overall they make more money with the price gouging than they lose in driving savvy consumers to mono price (or even Amazon).

Now, whether their models take into account the less quantifiable bad will created and how this might affect overall shopping patterns, I don't know. But, at the very least I have to assume that these ridiculously priced cables do a pretty good business for them.

Best Kid iPad Apps