Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMame for arcade monitors version 0.146u4_013f  (Read 199028 times)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 04:59:06 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: GroovyMame for arcade monitors version 0142.012
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2011, 10:53:48 am »
but useing my onboard hd3450 with calamity's driver's it does happen. I'm useing a WG7k series monitor that is a stock MK1 monitor

Radeon X, HD 2000 and HD 3000 families can't use low dotclocks in Windows. Edit VMMaker.ini and set DotClockMin param to something like 7.010, then run VMMaker to recalculate modelines and restart. That will create double width resolutions for the cases where it's needed. GroovyMame will manage to pick the right modes still and the result should be perfect. Please let us know if it works.

Trying GM out for the first time today, Galaxian plays fine but Frogger clips off at the bottom for me.

What resolution should the fixed Frogger run at, do I need to trigger the hack somehow?

Please post a log using -v -md 4 as arguments, that will help us to know what's going on.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jimmy2x2x

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

Please post a log using -v -md 4 as arguments, that will help us to know what's going on.

groovymame -v -md 4 frogger
Error: unknown option: -md

so I did this:
groovymame -v frogger

and here is the log

http://pastebin.com/D9sDPV5W

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »

groovymame -v -md 4 frogger
Error: unknown option: -md

so I did this:
groovymame -v frogger

and here is the log

http://pastebin.com/D9sDPV5W

It's the same issue that bent98 reported:

DirectDraw: New blit size = 957x472

Though I haven't managed to reproduce that bug here, I have a test fix that might solve it, don't know, I'm uploading a binary named groovymame32_0142.012o_test, please check if it makes any difference.

http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyMame/WindowsATIDrivers/
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2011, 06:03:43 pm »
Didn't work I'm afraid, here is the new log.

http://pastebin.com/ESnchU0R

Thanks for checking into this

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:30 pm »
LEt me know if you need me to test something as well

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2011, 03:48:48 am »
but useing my onboard hd3450 with calamity's driver's it does happen. I'm useing a WG7k series monitor that is a stock MK1 monitor

Radeon X, HD 2000 and HD 3000 families can't use low dotclocks in Windows. Edit VMMaker.ini and set DotClockMin param to something like 7.010, then run VMMaker to recalculate modelines and restart. That will create double width resolutions for the cases where it's needed. GroovyMame will manage to pick the right modes still and the result should be perfect. Please let us know if it works.

This worked, nearly every game I've tried has come up "almost" perfectly vertical games have issues, such as 1941,42,43, galaga/galaxian the resolution it picks is to tall, pacman picks a really weird resolution that makes my monitor over-scan at the bottom  :dunno.

Gmame+Calamity's driver's are a REALY good solution for those that have a compatible video card, it's a shame though that Hyperspin won't run with it because that is my FE of choice. I'm very disappointed in XP Pro X64 though SF4 will not run on it full-screen it crash's so that's a deal breaker for me, and window's 7 x64 will not let you switch from a scan-line resolution to a non scan-line resolution with Ddraw on. SO I've come to a crossroads.

1. Ditch Window's 7+avga and go to XP Pro x64 using Gmame+calamity+onboard video, and loose SF4 and hyperspin
2. Keep Window's 7+avga+sf4+hyperspin and loose almost perfect game resolution compatibility.
OR
3. Buy a new WG D9000 26" replacement LCD and try that with both setups and my real PCB's and see what happens....   >:D

Seeing how i just love to throw money away on things that I'll never use or am disappointed in I'm going to go with option 3 haha, besides I'm sure alot of people on here want to know about these things and i've got the spare cash to throw at it, lets see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:50:57 am by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:46 am »
This worked, nearly every game I've tried has come up "almost" perfectly vertical games have issues, such as 1941,42,43, galaga/galaxian the resolution it picks is to tall, pacman picks a really weird resolution that makes my monitor over-scan at the bottom  :dunno.

Good. The "issue" with vertical games is because their resolution is being virtualized using as many lines as your monitor is capable of for that given vertical refresh, so that overscan should be possible to be fixed by adjusting your vertical amplitude potenciometer (I do that all the time).

I don't know why SF4 should crash in XP64, have you done a web search on that? Does it have to do with CRT_EmuDriver or just happens all the time?

3. Buy a new WG D9000 26" replacement LCD and try that with both setups and my real PCB's and see what happens....   >:D

Well, if you replace your working CRT with that please make sure not to throw it away :)
You won't need CRT_EmuDriver with a LCD. Just leave it with its default resolution and use -video d3d -noswitchres to make the picture fit the screen. Be aware you'll need to run all games at 60 Hz in order to avoid video artifacts, this means that games like R-Type will run at 109%.
Steps to create a log:

kalars123

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 12:31:51 pm
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2011, 05:01:12 am »
This worked, nearly every game I've tried has come up "almost" perfectly vertical games have issues, such as 1941,42,43, galaga/galaxian the resolution it picks is to tall, pacman picks a really weird resolution that makes my monitor over-scan at the bottom  :dunno.

Good. The "issue" with vertical games is because their resolution is being virtualized using as many lines as your monitor is capable of for that given vertical refresh, so that overscan should be possible to be fixed by adjusting your vertical amplitude potenciometer (I do that all the time).

I don't know why SF4 should crash in XP64, have you done a web search on that? Does it have to do with CRT_EmuDriver or just happens all the time?

3. Buy a new WG D9000 26" replacement LCD and try that with both setups and my real PCB's and see what happens....   >:D

Well, if you replace your working CRT with that please make sure not to throw it away :)
You won't need CRT_EmuDriver with a LCD. Just leave it with its default resolution and use -video d3d -noswitchres to make the picture fit the screen. Be aware you'll need to run all games at 60 Hz in order to avoid video artifacts, this means that games like R-Type will run at 109%.

SF4 just doesn't like XPro x64 it will run in a window but full screen crashes, and as for the WG lcd from everything I've read and from what I've been told from the sales rep i talked to at happs, it is fully capable of displaying everything an old CRT can, just in a 16:9 format stretched or with pillars. But everywhere I've looked no one has ever bought one to see what it does "not just here but on all other mame/fe forum's i read" I think everyone is assuming it's just a stand LCD panel modified to accept 15khz signals and a r/g/b/g/s input, so they buy a computer LCD because they are WAY cheaper, I would do the same thing, but I own several PCB's MK1 proto 9,MK2,UMK3,bad dudes,sly spy,tekken 3,sf2-sfa2 and few others I can't remember off the top of my head, so a computer LCD is out of the question for me because if the itch should get me i can plug in one of my pcb's and play the real thing. But I also know that this 20 year old CRT isn't going to last forever and getting a replacement is going to be hard/impossible by the time it does go out "it's already got medium Tekken 3 burn in GRRRRR stupid PO", so i figure while I've got the money in pocket I can go ahead and get what will likely be the only option in a few year's, write up a detailed review of it with some pics and video's and do the community a favor.

"edit"
yea no I won't through my CRT away, what will likely happen if this LCD works out ok, I'll either sell it here, give it away or something, I won't let it go to waste
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:09:56 am by kalars123 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2011, 05:13:28 am »
SF4 just doesn't like XPro x64 it will run in a window but full screen crashes, and as for the WG lcd from everything I've read and from what I've been told from the sales rep i talked to at happs, it is fully capable of displaying everything an old CRT can, just in a 16:9 format stretched or with pillars. But everywhere I've looked no one has every bought one to see what it does "not just here but on all other mame/fe forum's" I think everyone is assuming it's just a stand LCD panel modified to accept 15khz signals and a r/g/b/g/s input, so they buy a computer LCD because they are WAY cheaper, I would do the same thing, but I own several PCB's MK1 proto 9,MK2,MK3,bad dudes,sly spy,tekken 3,sf2-sfa2 and few others I can't remember off the top of my head, so a computer LCD is out of the question for me because if the itch should get me i can plug in one of my pcb's and play the real thing. But I also know that this 20 year old CRT isn't going to last forever and getting a replacement is going to be hard/impossible by the time it does go out "it's already got medium Tekken 3 burn in GRRRRR stupid PO", so i figure while I've got the money in pocket I can go ahead and get what will likely be the only option in a few year's, write up a detailed review of it with some pics and video's and do the community a favor.

Yeah definitely it will be interesting to see how it behaves with your MK pcbs at 54 Hz, the scrolling character selection screen will be the best test for it.
Steps to create a log:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:19 am »
Calamity-

I've been unable to install your drivers on my XP64 machine. I've run the setup several times, as well as attempted to install the drivers manually through the "I have a disk" method from the computer manager.

Using the Setup.exe, there are no error messages, but the device does not start when the machine reboots. Using the "I have a disk" method, at the last screen you get:

An error occurred during the installation of the device
The parameter is incorrect

I have a Radeon HD 4350 and am trying to use the newest 9.3.1.2 x64 drivers from the GroovyMame site.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2011, 07:24:10 am »
Hi cotmm68030,

Make sure to remove any sort of existing driver before you install. MS default drivers usually need to be uninstalled manually, CatUninstaller doesn't help here. First uninstall Catalyst. Then MS driver will be used. Go to the Device Manager and click in both devices and remove the driver in use. You'll know it's ready when after reboot you have a ? or ! yellow sign on the device meaning Windows has not drivers for it.
Steps to create a log:

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:28 am »

SF4 just doesn't like XPro x64 it will run in a window but full screen crashes

Make sure you have the latest DirectX installed...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »
Didn't work I'm afraid, here is the new log.

http://pastebin.com/ESnchU0R

Thanks for checking into this

I'm uploading a new groovymame32_0142.012o_test binary, please jimmy2x2x and bent98 check this one to see if it finally fixes the frogger issue.

http://mario.groovy.org/GroovyMame/WindowsATIDrivers/
Steps to create a log:

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2011, 09:01:35 pm »
Congratulations that man!

I think everything is working now, tested with:

Galaxian
Moon Cresta
Frogger

forced res to 256x240, rotated to vertical and they look great

I think there may be an issue with centering the image with all the border at the top of the play area, besides this minor issue it is working great for me.

MANY THANKS, expect a donation on payday ;)

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:05 pm »
I'm having an issue with Gauntlet Legends (gauntleg).

Important info...
groovymame64_0142.012o
Windows XP x64
ArcadeVGA 3000
standard resolution arcade monitor

I believe that gauntleg should be running at 640x480 interlaced, full screen, but instead, it runs in a small square in the middle of the screen with large borders on all sides.  I've attached the log file.

I have all artwork disabled.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2011, 05:55:51 am »
I'm having an issue with Gauntlet Legends (gauntleg).

Important info...
groovymame64_0142.012o
Windows XP x64
ArcadeVGA 3000
standard resolution arcade monitor

I believe that gauntleg should be running at 640x480 interlaced, full screen, but instead, it runs in a small square in the middle of the screen with large borders on all sides.  I've attached the log file.

I have all artwork disabled.

MAME history says 640x480. Especially given the time of release, the type of graphics, and that VGA monitors were becoming common enough in arcade games by that time, I'd suspect they meant it to run 'progressive'.

As you can't do that, then doctor the ini or whatever so that interlace is forced.
-Banned-

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2011, 07:01:29 am »
The problem with that gauntleg game is that after selecting 640x480 it switchres its resolution again to 511x384, and as this second resolution does not exist it tries to virtualize it using system's resolution 800x600, but for some reason stretching does not work this time and the game is rendered as a small 511x384 box in the middle of the screen. I'll have to test that one in my cab, but that won't probably get fixed until bitbytebit back who knows better how that part works.
Steps to create a log:

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »
The problem with that gauntleg game is that after selecting 640x480 it switchres its resolution again to 511x384, and as this second resolution does not exist it tries to virtualize it using system's resolution 800x600, but for some reason stretching does not work this time and the game is rendered as a small 511x384 box in the middle of the screen. I'll have to test that one in my cab, but that won't probably get fixed until bitbytebit back who knows better how that part works.

Interesting, I was wondering that, maybe if stretching is invoked upon a resolution change and the original resolution didn't need it, it can't be enabled later?

I need to have some sort of TODO list page, somewhere, that we can have input the things that are needed to be done basically for different stuff.  I have spurts of time, or will here in a week or so, where I can do work.  Yet if I try to figure out what needs to be done, prioritize and stuff, it turns up taking all the time I have :/.  Not sure how to do that best, some sort of post it board somewhere, to keep track of the TODO list would be ideal.  I am sure I could come up with some php interface page with some time, any suggestions on this would be great :).   Moving has been so much time and work, I had the last week off of work actually and still no extra time, new place is taking that up, still getting stuff out of the old house.  At least when I'm settled, things should be good because I have my arcade machine in an awesome place, log cabin home on 10 acres in the country with 2 acre fishing pond.  So I should be able to concentrate, and have plenty of stress relievers available around here.  Just getting things settled is going to take awhile though, but having a concise TODO list somehow would help and also seems like a few more weeks prolly of me getting settled in.  Fortunately mostly things are at a working state, but I really am excited about eventually getting into the detail work of making everything streamlined and the little fixes here and there.  I know this Winter I'll be having lots of time to focus again for sure, because I'll probably be stuck indoors, but hopefully I get to it well before then :D.
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »

I need to have some sort of TODO list page, somewhere, that we can have input the things that are needed to be done basically for different stuff.  I have spurts of time, or will here in a week or so, where I can do work.  Yet if I try to figure out what needs to be done, prioritize and stuff, it turns up taking all the time I have :/.  Not sure how to do that best, some sort of post it board somewhere, to keep track of the TODO list would be ideal.

There's a few possibilities I can think of...

1) Set up some sort of free web-based bug tracking software like Bugzilla, Mantis, JIRA, etc...  I definitely wouldn't try to roll your own.

2) Set up a support forum for GroovyMAME and dedicate one sticky thread to "known issues".  You (or an admin/moderator) can then update the first post in the thread with issues as people post them and remove them as they get fixed.

The first is obviously more work to set up, but offers a lot more functionality.  The second is easier to set up, and you might even want to ask Saint to make a GroovyMAME specific board here on BYOAC, which would make it virtually painless.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »
Interesting, I was wondering that, maybe if stretching is invoked upon a resolution change and the original resolution didn't need it, it can't be enabled later?

Could be that, I'm not fully sure.

Looking forward to having you back in the forum, take your time and relax, moving is one of the most stressing experiences I can think of :)

There's some new stuff I've been working at in the meanwhile. The version I posted with the frogger fix actually uses an experimental three-threaded method, so it's the first Mame build to implement a fully asynchronous triplebuffer (the other one had some issues), that should be as lag-free as plain throttle or syncrefresh. I'm also doing some tests driving Powerstrip from Arcade_OSD, it's very easy actually although it has some limitations I'm studying.

Steps to create a log:

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:32:06 pm
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
ok I just bought a radeon hd 4350 however when I try to install the emu crt drivers for xp64 I get this error "Thunk.exe Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system setup will now exit"
I installed the default drivers from the ati site and used soft 15k and mame runs ok. a little bigger than it used to and I can not shrink some games down any. but at least I have my 54.8 refresh rate ok MK again. any ideas?

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2011, 12:04:20 am »
ok I just bought a radeon hd 4350 however when I try to install the emu crt drivers for xp64 I get this error "Thunk.exe Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system setup will now exit"

Are trying to install the 9.3 x64 drivers?...
http://mame.groovy.org/WindowsATIDrivers/crt_emudriver_9.3_1.2_x64_multisync.rar

You might want to try uninstalling soft15KHz, uninstall all ATI drivers from "Add or Remove Programs", then run the catalyst uninstaller utility to make sure everything is gone...
http://www.ultimarc.com/cat-uninstaller.exe

Then re-install the crt emudriver version linked above.

If that doesn't work, make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers installed for your motherboard, and also make sure that any on-board video is disabled, especially if it's ATI based.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2011, 05:58:54 pm »
tried all of that still nothing.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:20 pm »
I'm currently running groovymame via a nVidia 5200 AGP+soft15k into a UK scart tv, XP 32.

If I buy an ATI card will my setup be able to support to exact refresh rates offered by groovymame+an ATI card?

Do any of the ATI cards on the supported list perform better than others, I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference at such low resolutions..

Thanks

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:25 am »
tried all of that still nothing.

Hi androtaz08, do you know your card's exact model and vendor? Is it by any chance a "Mobility" version? Is it new or comes from a scrap Dell machine? Please send me the hardware identifiers of your card (Device manager/display adapters/properties/details). They look like this:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_02A81043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_02A81043

Steps to create a log:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2011, 06:43:16 am »
So I re-calculated the 'double' modes using Powerstrip. Worked great and was very easy to adjust geometry and what not. Now I've got a selection of resolutions that are twice the height/width of several 15kHz modes. I'll add more once I've got it working more correctly.

I'm guessing that Groovymame doesn't select 2x modes correctly yet? I tried to run a few games and it wasn't picking what I thought would be right:
Code: [Select]
Parsing mame.ini
Parsing mame.ini
SwitchRes: Entering switchres_modeline_setup (0)
SwitchRes: Setting Option -cleanstretch
SwitchRes: Monitor: m2929 Orientation: horizontal Aspect 4:3
SwitchRes v0.012o: [bublbobl] (1) horizontal (256x224@59.19)->(256x224@59.19)->(256x224@59.19)
SwitchRes: # bublbobl 256x224@59.19 30.0071Khz
SwitchRes: ModeLine          "256x224x59.19" 13.923295 256 288 352 464 224 348 354 507 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Found 15 custom of 29 active modelines
SwitchRes: 480 x 480 -> 50.20 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 512 x 480 -> 49.88 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 512 x 512 -> 49.56 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 512 x 528 -> 49.40 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 608 x 480 -> 48.92 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 480 -> 48.60 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 480 -> 48.60 System Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 512 -> 48.28 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 576 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 672 x 480 -> 48.28 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 512 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 528 -> 47.48 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 576 -> 47.00 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 720 x 480 -> 47.80 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 720 x 480 -> 47.80 System Modeline
SwitchRes: 720 x 576 -> 46.84 System Modeline
SwitchRes: 736 x 480 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 768 x 576 -> 46.36 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 800 x 512 -> 46.68 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 800 x 600 -> 45.80 System Modeline
SwitchRes: Index 0/29 modeline DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60 score 50.20 matches
SwitchRes: Got Custom modeline 480x480@60 - DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60:
     "480x480@60" 18.470000 480 496 544 608 480 481 484 498 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Trying to recalculate modeline 256 x 224 != 480 x 480
SwitchRes: Setting Option -keepaspect
SwitchRes: New Modeline: ModeLine          "480x480x59.19" 26.294034 480 528 648 856 480 482 488 519 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Setting modeline registry entry for DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60
SwitchRes: Setting Option -redraw 0
SwitchRes: Setting Option -rotate
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nosoundsync
SwitchRes: Enabling VSYNC
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nothrottle
SwitchRes: Setting Option -waitvsync
SwitchRes: Setting Option -resolution 480x480@60
Video: Monitor 0000000000010001 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Direct3D: Using Direct3D 9
Direct3D: Configuring adapter #0 = ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Direct3D: Selecting video mode...
   480x 480@ 60Hz -> 4000.000000
   512x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.949341
   512x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.834839
   512x 528@ 60Hz -> 2001.782471
   608x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.641968
   640x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.559937
   640x 480@ 72Hz -> 73.948326
   640x 480@ 75Hz -> 61.032917
   640x 480@ 85Hz -> 38.853466
   640x 480@ 90Hz -> 32.992374
   640x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.485840
   640x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   672x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.485840
   704x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   704x 528@ 60Hz -> 2001.328003
   704x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.248413
   720x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.386841
   720x 480@ 75Hz -> 60.859818
   720x 480@ 85Hz -> 38.680367
   720x 576@ 59Hz -> 844.674438
   720x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.223999
   720x 576@ 75Hz -> 60.696842
   736x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   768x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.156128
   800x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.200439
   800x 600@ 56Hz -> 239.999802
   800x 600@ 60Hz -> 2001.085815
   800x 600@ 70Hz -> 85.728287
   800x 600@ 72Hz -> 73.474037
Direct3D: Mode selected =  480x 480@ 60Hz
Direct3D: Using dynamic textures
Direct3D: YUV format = RGB
Direct3D: Device created at 480x480
Direct3D: Max texture size = 8192x8192
DirectSound: Primary buffer: 48000 Hz, 16 bits, 2 channels
RawInput: APIs detected
Input: Adding Mouse #1: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Gun #1: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Mouse #2: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Gun #2: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Mouse #3: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Gun #3: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Kbd #1: HID Keyboard Device
Input: Adding Kbd #2: HID Keyboard Device
DirectInput: Using DirectInput 7
Input: Adding Joy #1: ATRAK Device #1
Input: Adding Joy #2: ATRAK Device #2
Starting Driver Device 'root'
  (missing dependencies; rescheduling)
Starting Z80 'maincpu'
Starting Z80 'slave'
Starting Z80 'audiocpu'
Starting M6801 'mcu'
Starting Video Screen 'screen'
Starting Speaker 'mono'
Starting YM2203 'ym1'
Starting YM3526 'ym2'
Starting Speaker 'mono'
Direct3D: Error 88760868 during device present call
Direct3D: resetting device
SwitchRes: [1] Resolution change from 256x224 to 0x0
SwitchRes: Resolution change to 0x0@59
SwitchRes: Entering switchres_modeline_setup (1)
SwitchRes: Copy lastMode name 480x480@60
SwitchRes: Monitor: m2929 Orientation: horizontal Aspect 4:3
SwitchRes v0.012o: [bublbobl] (1) horizontal (256x224@59.19)->(256x224@59.19)->(256x224@59.19)
SwitchRes: # bublbobl 256x224@59.19 30.0071Khz
SwitchRes: ModeLine          "256x224x59.19" 13.923295 256 288 352 464 224 348 354 507 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: 512 x 512 -> 49.56 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 512 x 528 -> 49.40 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 608 x 480 -> 48.92 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 480 -> 48.60 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 512 -> 48.28 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 640 x 576 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 672 x 480 -> 48.28 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 512 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 528 -> 47.48 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 704 x 576 -> 47.00 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 720 x 480 -> 47.80 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 736 x 480 -> 47.64 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 768 x 576 -> 46.36 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: 800 x 512 -> 46.68 Custom Modeline
SwitchRes: Index 0/29 modeline DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60 score 50.20 matches
SwitchRes: Got Custom modeline 480x480@60 - DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60:
     "480x480@60" 18.470000 480 496 544 608 480 481 484 498 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Trying to recalculate modeline 256 x 224 != 480 x 480
SwitchRes: Setting Option -keepaspect
SwitchRes: New Modeline: ModeLine          "480x480x59.19" 26.294034 480 528 648 856 480 482 488 519 -HSync -VSync
SwitchRes: Setting modeline registry entry for DALDTMCRTBCD480X480X0X60
SwitchRes: Setting Option -redraw 0
SwitchRes: Setting Option -rotate
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nosoundsync
SwitchRes: Enabling VSYNC
SwitchRes: Setting Option -nothrottle
SwitchRes: Setting Option -waitvsync
SwitchRes: Setting Option -resolution 480x480@60
Direct3D: Configuring adapter #0 = ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Direct3D: Selecting video mode...
   480x 480@ 60Hz -> 4000.000000
   512x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.949341
   512x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.834839
   512x 528@ 60Hz -> 2001.782471
   608x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.641968
   640x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.559937
   640x 480@ 72Hz -> 73.948326
   640x 480@ 75Hz -> 61.032917
   640x 480@ 85Hz -> 38.853466
   640x 480@ 90Hz -> 32.992374
   640x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.485840
   640x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   672x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.485840
   704x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   704x 528@ 60Hz -> 2001.328003
   704x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.248413
   720x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.386841
   720x 480@ 75Hz -> 60.859818
   720x 480@ 85Hz -> 38.680367
   720x 576@ 59Hz -> 844.674438
   720x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.223999
   720x 576@ 75Hz -> 60.696842
   736x 480@ 60Hz -> 2001.356812
   768x 576@ 60Hz -> 2001.156128
   800x 512@ 60Hz -> 2001.200439
   800x 600@ 56Hz -> 239.999802
   800x 600@ 60Hz -> 2001.085815
   800x 600@ 70Hz -> 85.728287
   800x 600@ 72Hz -> 73.474037
Direct3D: Mode selected =  480x 480@ 60Hz
Direct3D: Using dynamic textures
Direct3D: YUV format = RGB
Direct3D: Device created at 480x480
Direct3D: Max texture size = 8192x8192

512x480 would be the better mode here, and if I added a 512x448 it would be perfect.

Should I just generate a bunch of .ini files, do I have something configured wrong, or will Groovymame ONLY select perfect 2x modes?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2011, 07:07:25 am »
So I re-calculated the 'double' modes using Powerstrip. Worked great and was very easy to adjust geometry and what not. Now I've got a selection of resolutions that are twice the height/width of several 15kHz modes. I'll add more once I've got it working more correctly.

Yes GroovyMame picks double modes automatically but the logic has some flaws yet it seems. When I tested it I generated the double modes using VMMaker and the results where ok but probably it was because I was generating both 448 and 480 lines modes. The issue here is probably because it's not properly scoring these two resolutions:

As 512x480 is not exact 512x448 (256x224 doubled), it's not considering it any better than 480x480, while the proper logic would be to consider 512 as good as 256 (unless 256 was present) and the difference in height as irrelevant because it usually does not affect the visual result (only few monitors auto-adjust vertical amplitude so 512x448 and 512x480+black borders look exactly the same).
Steps to create a log:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2011, 08:28:27 am »
I'll have to add more resolutions and see where it gets me.

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2011, 09:22:01 pm »
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9552&SUBSYS_44721545&REV_00\4&3B252A0E&0&0010

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:45 am »
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9552&SUBSYS_44721545&REV_00\4&3B252A0E&0&0010

Yes, that's a Mobility version:
http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=9552&device_search=Search

You'll need to patch the drivers before you can install them, using the ModTool, this thread explains how to do it:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=109742.msg1163704#msg1163704
Steps to create a log:

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2011, 10:12:02 am »
I am trying to compile groovymame 0142

Ive got the base 0142 code, compiles fine

Applied hiscore patch, compiles fine

Can't apply 0142groovymame.diff

get this error (from command line)

patch -p0 -E <0142_groovymame.diff
patching file makefile
Assertion failed: hunk, file patch-2.5.4/patch.c, line 343

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Do I need to change all the CR to CRLF in the diff, if so how do I go about that?

Thanks

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2011, 10:21:22 am »
Thank you so much Calamity!! worked like a charm. only dumb question is why is running the crt emu driver better than running the regular ati driver soft 15k and groovymame? Thanks again!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

Do I need to change all the CR to CRLF in the diff, if so how do I go about that?

Even if making a Windows buid, you need to add the 0142_hilinux.diff before the groovymame.diff, probably that's the issue.

Thank you so much Calamity!! worked like a charm. only dumb question is why is running the crt emu driver better than running the regular ati driver soft 15k and groovymame? Thanks again!

Great! With CRT_Emudriver you have 120 different video modes available, with regular Catalyst only 60. You actually need more than 100 to cover most variety of video modes used by Mame.
Steps to create a log:

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »

Even if making a Windows buid, you need to add the 0142_hilinux.diff before the groovymame.diff, probably that's the issue.

Still doesn't work.

C:\mamesrc>patch -p0 -E <hi_142.txt
patching file src/emu/emu.mak
patching file src/emu/emuopts.c
patching file src/emu/emuopts.h
patching file src/emu/hiscore.c
patching file src/emu/hiscore.h
patching file src/emu/machine.c
patching file src/emu/machine.h
patching file src/emu/mame.c
patching file src/emu/profiler.c
patching file src/emu/profiler.h
patching file src/emu/romload.c
patching file src/emu/ui.c
patching file src/emu/video.c
patching file src/emu/video.h
patching file src/mame/machine/cps2crpt.c
patching file src/osd/osdepend.c
patching file src/osd/osdepend.h
patching file src/osd/windows/video.c
patching file src/osd/windows/window.c
patching file src/osd/windows/window.h
patching file src/osd/windows/winmain.h

C:\mamesrc>patch -p0 -E <0142_hilinux.diff
patching file src/emu/emuopts.c

C:\mamesrc>patch -p0 -E <0142_groovymame.diff
patching file makefile

Compiling using mingw-mame-w64-20100102, any idea what is going on here?

EDIT: It looks like the supplied diffs will not work with the MinGW PATCH command, but they do work with HeadKaze's Mame Compiler.  I suspect this is down to missing Line Feeds after the CR's in the formatting of the text.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:15:32 pm by jimmy2x2x »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »
EDIT: It looks like the supplied diffs will not work with the MinGW PATCH command, but they do work with HeadKaze's Mame Compiler.  I suspect this is down to missing Line Feeds after the CR's in the formatting of the text.

I see, I always use Mame Compiler so probably that's why it worked for me.

If you want to add the last galaxian patch open src\mame\includes\galaxian.h and edit this define (it's 3 by default):

#define GALAXIAN_XSCALE         1

Steps to create a log:

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »

I see, I always use Mame Compiler so probably that's why it worked for me.

If you want to add the last galaxian patch open src\mame\includes\galaxian.h and edit this define (it's 3 by default):

#define GALAXIAN_XSCALE         1

Thanks Calamity

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2011, 11:40:06 am »
If ever there was a thread in this forum's software board that needed stickying, this is it.  Could we please get this stickied?

blagger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2012, 06:31:41 pm
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
Maybe this is a stupid question, but anyway...

I would like to overclock the emulated cpu of some games.
When I do this with the slider controls (which by the way move extremely slow, it take ages to overclock to 200%) everything is fine.
Unfortunately when I exit the game the overclock setting isn't saved in the cfg file of the game.
So everytime I start the game I have to overclock again (which takes ages).

What can I do to save the setting?

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »
Bought myself a Radeon 9800 pro and installed with crt_emudriver/groovymame - WOW! what an amazing job!

I think I have everything configured as it should be, but have a small issue with automatic resolution selection.

For example.

digdug (selects 640x480@ 61hz, should be 288,224) http://pastebin.com/zk1mABew
bombjack (selects 320x448@ 60hz, should be 256x224) http://pastebin.com/N3kWSTGq
btime2 (selects 688x512 @60hz, should be 240,240) http://pastebin.com/RN1eZrxg

All 3 seem to select a much higher resolution than is required, the native resolution seems to be available for all 3 of these games

If I create an .ini file for these 3 games with just the native resolution (as shown in the game information panel in game) they work as intended - is there a way to use this information in the 'game information' screen as the default resolution?

The majority of games seem to select the correct resolution, Im not sure why its inconsistent on my system.

Thanks again for such an amazing project.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:36:50 pm by jimmy2x2x »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »
Hi jimmy2x2x, please paste your logs using -v -md 4 params so they show the switchres part and the logic used for picking resolutions.
Steps to create a log: