Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor - to mirror or not to mirror?  (Read 1848 times)

Marsupial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
Monitor - to mirror or not to mirror?
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:26 pm »
For the completion of my cab conversion, I am faced with a design decision. I have a 21"CRT VGA monitor that will be hooked up to the MAME computer, and it weights a ton.

The cab I am converting had an angled mirror reflecting an up-facing monitor (that was absent from the gutted cab when I got it.)
I still have the mirror (intact) and what it takes to put it back in the cab (rails and all)

I wonder if its worthed to do that, as opposed to make some shelf to hold the monitor, either straight-up or slanted back a la nintendo cab?

From my reading here, people generally don't do mirrors, but mainly because the possibility isn't there.... I do have the possibility. Is it a good idea? Is it a silly thought of me?

I think the upward-facing monitor is great to lower the center of gravity of the cabinet and hide any inner bezel. Maybe I am wrong...

Is there anything I oversaw? What's the official say on this matter?

Thanks for opinion, suggestions, comments. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:39:59 pm by Marsupial »
-Mars

Marsupial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
Re: Monitor - to mirror or not to mirror?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »
Bump with additionnal question.
Is there a way to "mirror" (as opposed to rotate) the whole screen under windows XP?
I've seen software to rotate the screen, but none makes mirrored images  :angry:
-Mars

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Monitor - to mirror or not to mirror?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:43 pm »
Hardware solution?

Essentially flip the polarity on the coil.