Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (5/12/14 UPDATE)  (Read 39280 times)

CWorley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:44:36 pm
Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (5/12/14 UPDATE)
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:59:51 am »
My next project is set.  I know, I technically haven't finished my first one yet, but I'm only in the planning stages for this one.  I'll be building miniature stand up cab based on the Neo-Geo MVS Mini, but styled for my young daughter.  I'm going for a combination of jeffhlewis' Neo-Geo MVS Mini and javeryh's Bella's Arcade.  Here are the links to those two projects:

jeffhlewis' Neo-Geo MVS Mini
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81845.0

javeryh's Bella's Arcade
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59828.0

Flinkly and jeffhlewis have both helped me out with cab dimensions.

When I say styled for my daughter, I mean I'll be changing the color, using an original marquee playing off the regular ones, and adjusting the control panel.  Even with these changes, there won't be any doubt what kind of cab this is.  I've included a sketch of the side panel so you can get an idea of what dimensions I'll be using.  The cab will be about 55" tall, 19.5" wide, and 27.25" deep from the front of the control panel.  I've also included some very rough pics of the side art, control panel, and marquee.  I'll definitely be enlisting some help with the art since I by know means know what I'm doing.  I plan to keep the side art simple with just the three logos.  The marquee will play off a 4 game mvs marquee, but instead of 4 games, there will be four letters spelling out NORA, my daughter.  The control panel will be changed for only 1 player.  I plan to keep it much like the original, but with a different color.  I know a lot of people associate Neo-Geo cabs with the red color, but this will be going in my daughter's room and needs to look like it belongs...  And approved by my wife.

I plan on using a 20" lcd (horizontally)and am currently looking for a used/refurbished Dell 2001fp, Dell 2007fp, or HP L2065.

I'm thinking I'll add a port to connect a controller in case two people would like to play.  I'd rather do that than add width to the control panel.  I've though about finding an original Neo-Geo controller, but I'm not sure if there is an adapter out there to connect to a usb port.  I'm planning on using a Zippyy long shaft joystick with the restrictor plate removed (used and recommended by Knievel in his NHL bartops).  So yes, I will be using a ball top instead of the usual Neo-Geo bat top.

3/4" and 1/2" mdf will be the building material of choice.

As I'm still in the planning stages of this project, any advice/thoughts would be highly appreciated.  And if anyone wants to take a stab at the marquee, I wouldn't complain.  I'd like to use purple, blue, green, and white as the colors for the cab.  And there will be black obviously with the control panel, monitor bezel, and speaker shelf.

Hope to get this started sometime next month.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:06:56 pm by CWorley »

GregD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
Re: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:16:35 am »
I am not sure what their shipping rates are since I have always just picked from them but they always have 2000fp's and 2007fp's for really good prices.  Sometimes they have the 2001fp's as well.

http://www.bmius.com/c-40-computer-monitors.aspx

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:03 am »
I am not sure what their shipping rates are since I have always just picked from them but they always have 2000fp's and 2007fp's for really good prices.  Sometimes they have the 2001fp's as well.

http://www.bmius.com/c-40-computer-monitors.aspx

Thanks GregD!  It looks like shipping is in the $30+ range.  That would still be a good price for a 2007fp, but I'm hoping to pay a little less via Ebay for a 2001fp.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:52 pm »
Tough crowd...

Nobody cares until there's sawdust and pictures?

Not fans of the color purple?

Anybody else have some thoughts?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »
Worley, your CP is nice.  The violet makes it for me.  I dig.  The Marquee has gotsta go.  Not digging it at all.  You're doing an SNK machine, how bout some awesome female SNK superstars like those gals from Metal Slug or those girls from Waku Waku.  I think the 3/4 scale Neo will be great, I've been leaning towards that for my boys.     

When you make us dl pdfs to look at stuff you don't get as many replies because we are all lazy.  I like you and called you names in my head because I had to click to see pics.  Well, not like you like you, but I liked your last build so I gave you the benefit of the...

just got awkward in here didn't it?  I should really learn to stop typing.

knohbody

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 11:49:53 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
There's a smaller Neo Geo cabinet than the "Big Red" most everyone remembers.
The MVS-2-13 or Neo Mini... which is hard to search for on google now because everyone's making "mini" cabinets. I think the dimensions are around the same as what you're planning on building. Might want to take some time to find some pictures for inspiration. Of note is that the control panel was not much wider than yours, and they had a two player setup. if you find dimensions for one, let me know.
If you're planning on using a neo geo controller... there's no encoder in the controller.. the db-15 port it uses is wired straight to the buttons, so you can use a db-15 connector and any usb encoder to make it usb.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »
I'm still on the fence about widening the control panel for a second set of controls.  Does anybody know how many Neo-Geo games use all 4 buttons?  If a majority only use 3, I would only have to increase the cp to 20 inches wide.

I'm open to other ideas for the marquee.  If I use any female characters, they have to be "kid friendly".  I would like to include Nora's name though and probably stick with original Neo-Geo marquee look.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:16:10 pm by CWorley »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

Little girl, violet rabbit thing... can't get much more girly than that

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »
Found a 20" Dell 2001fp today on Ebay for a decent price.

The little girl with the rabbit thing would work.  Now how do they fit into a Neo-Geo type marquee?

As you can see, Le Chuck, I'm subtly having you do all the artistic work for me without directly asking you...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:55:34 pm by CWorley »

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:30 am »
Decided that I'll be going with only 1 joystick and set of buttons.  That way I can keep the width proportional to the rest of the cab and the control panel won't be cluttered.  I'll definitely add a port for a controller in the case that two people want to play simultaneously.

I'm planning on the width of the control panel to be 18.5", so the cab will be 20" wide with the side panels.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »
Decided that I'll be going with only 1 joystick and set of buttons.  That way I can keep the width proportional to the rest of the cab and the control panel won't be cluttered.  I'll definitely add a port for a controller in the case that two people want to play simultaneously.

I'm planning on the width of the control panel to be 18.5", so the cab will be 20" wide with the side panels.

I'll take that into account as I pretend to not be designing your marquee.  ;)

knohbody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 11:49:53 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:31 pm »
I made this real quick if your interested. LeChuck, I have the vector file available if you want to use it in your hypothetical marquee.
Edit: forgot the picture  :banghead:

nora by knohbody, on Flickr

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:16 pm »
I've attached some very rough sketches of the inside supports+.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:58:16 pm by CWorley »

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »
Here is a rough draft of the control panel overlay:

What do you guys think?  The joystick and "ABCD" buttons aren't placed exactly right yet.

If you're wondering, the reason there is a start button for another player is that I'm including a port to hook up a Neo Geo controller.

I'm trying to decide where to add a coin button.  My immediate thought is to the left or right of the menu button.  Any suggestions?  

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:27:06 pm by CWorley »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
Re: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (7/22/12 - Looking for CPO Feedback)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 06:46:40 pm »
Looks nice and clean.
What are you going to put where the digital coin displays are?

If nothing, you could flush mount a red rectangular gambling machine button there for coins.
The standard ones are pretty big. 
Happ sells small ones under "VLT buttons" (video lottery terminal), but they aren't cheap.
They all can be taken apart and a label inserted.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
What about these:
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Square-Button-Momentary-Switch/dp/B0081OOH92

Those would work if the 1" size isn't too big to fit into your artwork.  
There are similar ones on fleabay cheaper if you don't mind waiting for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

Divemaster (a member here) has some listed on his website that look promising, but it doesn't give dimensions.
http://www.arcadeemulator.net/cgi-bin/shop/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F33058&rnd=2506220&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=Small+Square+Pushbutton&cat=Low+Profile+Illuminated&catstr=HOME:Pushbuttons:Low+Profile+Illuminated
He's good to work with, but this is a side-job for him, so he may take a day to reply to emails and a few days to ship.
(he has a thread stickied in the buy/sell/trade forum if you'd rather PM him here)

It's a little more of a PITA, but I think it would be worth flush-mounting them.
Just cut a square hole a little smaller than the bezel and put the spacer on the underside of the CP instead of the top.
(you'll see how they go together when you get them)

On buttons in my driving cab, the inserts are just printed out on an inkjet printer on regular paper.
They look decent, but next time around I'll probably have Pongo cut out vinyl decals instead.
What gives them away is the backlighting makes the fibers in the paper visible.
You wouldn't have that problem if not backlighting them.  Could also give photo paper a try.

EDIT:  :lol you were adding more options to your post as I was writing mine.
I was originally thinking rectangular, but if you have to use the full size ones, squares might not look as gigantic next to the start buttons.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:00:44 pm by BadMouth »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:25 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 05:33:37 am »
Divemaster (a member here) has some listed on his website that look promising, but it doesn't give dimensions.
http://www.arcadeemulator.net/cgi-bin/shop/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F33058&rnd=2506220&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=Small+Square+Pushbutton&cat=Low+Profile+Illuminated&catstr=HOME:Pushbuttons:Low+Profile+Illuminated
. . .
On buttons in my driving cab, the inserts are just printed out on an inkjet printer on regular paper.
They look decent, but next time around I'll probably have Pongo cut out vinyl decals instead.
What gives them away is the backlighting makes the fibers in the paper visible.
You wouldn't have that problem if not backlighting them.  Could also give photo paper a try.

When you're looking at DM's site and want to know dimensions, open the Suzo-Happ page in another tab and use that to find details.

http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/5700044x.htm

Not sure which LEDs you'll want with these. (They come with 14v #161 bulbs.)

For inserts, try printing on Inkjet Transparency media. 

http://www.amazon.com/Transparency-Inkjet-Printers-Sheets-Sample/dp/B006GVYQUW

Protip: If you print a picture like, for example, a quarter for your inserts, make it about twice as dark as when it looks normal on the screen and print several shades.  After printing, if you make a clean horizontal cut below your inserts, you can use the remaining media for reprints.

Scott

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 09:11:17 am »
Thanks for the input, guys!

I think going with a square button will definitely work better due to the smaller size.  The squares will already be slightly bigger than the start buttons.

I don't think I'll have to change the art much at all beyond widening the white section for each coin button.

I think I'm going to go with the low profile small squares that Divemaster offers.  I was going to order some Gold Leafs from him for my action buttons anyway.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:48 am »
The profile is 100% MVS, that's for sure. The color did put me off at first, I'm not sure why you're not going with the regular MVS red? Or maybe go with pink instead of violet, so it's still in the same "visual range" as the MVS? Or maybe your daughter prefers violet?  :dunno

Worley, your CP is nice.  The violet makes it for me.  I dig.  The Marquee has gotsta go.  Not digging it at all.  You're doing an SNK machine, how bout some awesome female SNK superstars like those gals from Metal Slug or those girls from Waku Waku.

I also agree on the marquee, going with SNK girls would be a better choice. Or if your daughter has Neo-Geo games that she likes, just go with her preferred characters from those games?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:55:21 am by Yvan256 »

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:08 am »
The profile is 100% MVS, that's for sure. The color did put me off at first, I'm not sure why you're not going with the regular MVS red? Or maybe go with pink instead of violet, so it's still in the same "visual range" as the MVS? Or maybe your girl prefers violet?  :dunno

My wife prefers violet...

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:42 am »
As far as the player start buttons and menu button, should I go with just straight white buttons?

Or typical player 1 and player II buttons (with the stick figures) and just plain white for menu?

Any suggestions?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »
As far as the player start buttons and menu button, should I go with just straight white buttons?

Or typical player 1 and player II buttons (with the stick figures) and just plain white for menu?

Any suggestions?

I think the stick figures would be redundant since there is a label on the CP art.

Not sure about the color.  Purple ones would be cool if they matched the CP color.
Short of that, I'd stick with plain white.
Just my $.02 

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
I am loving all these alternate colorways of the classic Neo Geo cabs.  Will there be seven-segment displays for Player 1 and 2 as well?  It would be really cool if you got those in a violet hue. 

Perhaps something from this page?

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/seven-segment-display.html

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 07:35:11 am »
I am loving all these alternate colorways of the classic Neo Geo cabs.  Will there be seven-segment displays for Player 1 and 2 as well?  It would be really cool if you got those in a violet hue. 

Perhaps something from this page?

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/seven-segment-display.html

While having the seven-segment displays would be cool, I wouldn't know where to start to get those things to work.  I also like the idea of using square red illuminated buttons for coin buttons instead.  They'll be more functional and give a nod to the original look of the cabinet.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
After looking at the dimensions of Divemaster's red square buttons (below) and fitting them into my CP, they look too big and out of place.

http://www.arcadeemulator.net/cgi-bin/shop/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F9348970&rnd=2268464&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=Small+Square+Pushbutton&cat=Low+Profile+Illuminated&catstr=HOME:Pushbuttons:Low+Profile+Illuminated

I came upon these at arcadeshop.de

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Illum-Buttons-Pushbutton-lit-26x26-red_465.html

They're a 1/2 inch smaller which fits a lot better.  The only issue is I'd have to route the mounting area down to a little under 3/8".  They're made for metal panels, but if I remove the spacer I get some flex.  Will mdf be strong enough at that thickness?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:02:25 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 08:59:23 pm »
The only issue is I'd have to route the mounting area down to a little under 3/8".  They're made for metal panels, but if I remove the spacer I get some flex.  Will mdf be strong enough at that thickness?

3/8" MDF will definitely be strong enough for a button.

Scott

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 10:34:37 pm »
I came upon these at arcadeshop.de

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Illum-Buttons-Pushbutton-lit-26x26-red_465.html

Holy Crap!  Those look exactly the same as the VLT buttons that hap sells for $10 each!
I know because I bought four.  :-[
http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/poker.htm
(the part number didn't come up as a valid happ number for Divemaster, so I had to order them from Happ)
They are nice buttons.  I replaced the bulbs with colored LEDs and they look awesome.
I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness.

Those are what I originally pictured when I mentioned the idea.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:37:36 pm by BadMouth »

CWorley

• Offline Offline
Re: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (7/24/12 - Looking for CPO Feedback)
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 08:51:10 am »
I've attached what I think will be the final draft of the control panel overlay.  The start and menu buttons will be white GoldLeafs with the action buttons being the standard red, yellow, green and blue (GoldLeafs).  And then the coin buttons will be the aformentioned square red ones from arcadeshop.de.  The joystick will be a Zippyy long shaft with SmoothJoy switches and a violet ball top.

Any thoughts, concerns, objections?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:59:39 am by CWorley »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Re: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (8/6/12 - CPO Feedback)
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:09 am »
Unless the violet is a spot match for the CPO color I'd go with white on the balltop.  Looking good man!

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:35 am »
Unless the violet is a spot match for the CPO color I'd go with white on the balltop.  Looking good man!

Good idea.  White will probably work better.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »
I'd ditch the Æ on the NEO GEO logo.

I'll probably leave the ® on mine, but the Æ on your draws the eye to it because the space between it and the black button outline is so narrow.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
I'd ditch the Æ on the NEO GEO logo.

I'll probably leave the ® on mine, but the Æ on your draws the eye to it because the space between it and the black button outline is so narrow.

Done.  Thanks!

CWorley

• Offline Offline
Re: Nora's Neo-Geo MVS Mini (8/11/12)
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »
Here are some pics of some of the pieces I've acquired for the cab:

20" Dell 2001fp LCD

Neo Geo Controller

Aformentioned small square pushbuttons from arcadeshop.de

2.1 Speakers

ccmathome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2021, 12:40:52 am
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »
I really like these mini cabs I've been toying with the idea of making a mini galaga for my 60-in-1 board. Good luck on your build

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:02 pm »

I'd lose the player 2 start button because there is only one joystick on your CP...  and if you are playing with someone who is pluggeed in there is already a start button on the control pad

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 09:43:01 am »
I'd lose the player 2 start button because there is only one joystick on your CP...  and if you are playing with someone who is pluggeed in there is already a start button on the control pad

I'll consider that. I like the balance of having the right player start button and coin button on the CP though.  But I'll take a look of what it would look like without them.  It's also much cooler to push an arcade pushbutton then a controller start button...

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »
Since player 2 is using a control pad he is not pressing arcade buttons anyways.  Also  ecaause he is using a control pad he could also stand on the left side of player 1.  And for this reason I would also consider calling it player 1 and player 2 instead of left player and right player.  Also if you are playing a shump like strikers 1945 where you are constantly hitting the start and coin buttons it's easier to hit the buttons on the pad than to reach down to the CP.  if you want balance you could move the menu button to the right and move he coin button to the middle, but it would look fine even if it wasn't balanced ;).  What do you need a menu button for anyways? 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »
MY $.02 - I like it as it is.  It just looks right, even if the buttons on the right are never used.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:14 am »
What would be the best way to create a clean looking controller port for the Neo Geo controller?

I would need to add a male db-15 connector to the cab and wire that straight to the encoder, correct?