Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Touch Screen Jukebox Project (Complete) + Video  (Read 14336 times)

dmworking247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:57:07 am by dmworking247 »

Drakin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 12:51:42 pm
Re: My new jukebox project (I've been a little quiet lately)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:26:02 pm »
Nice Work!!

any specs on the machine...CPU, screen, dimensions of cab

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
I guess if pictures tell a thousand words, I repeated myself a lot in the first post. Here's a bit more of a written description:

Late last year I felt the need to build another project and I particularly liked the thought of a touch-screen jukebox. When an opportunity came up to buy a 15" touch screen, I started drawing some plans from scratch, borrowing a little inspiration from my previous projects (The Taxi Cab and Alien Arcade Bartops).

I decided to make things a lot simpler for myself this time than last, and the whole thing took about 6 afternoons + a full day from measuring to finished product. The most stressful part as always (for me) was the painting, and the slowest part was all of the fitting & wiring of the internals.

The project was made a little easier than previous bartops because I used a marine grade vinyl for the sides (to make it look a little more like a speaker stack) and some vented carry handles from in2amusements.com.au. I joined everything with glue and internal screws through 1" square dowel, so I didn't need ANY putty/filler for this project.  A couple of the panels were optimized to reduce the number of cuts and angles from previous projects too.

Now some specs:
The PC inside is a P4 2.4ghz with a 256mb graphics card.

Other hardware:
  • 15" Touch-Screen LCD
  • USB Wifi Dongle from DealExtreme
  • USB DTV (Digital Television) Tuner from DealExtreme. I made a small internal antenna too but obviously external works better.
  • 5.25" Card Reader/USB Hub/Audio Out bay (located on rear of machine) from DealExtreme
  • 22cm Fluro light from SupaCheap Auto
  • 12VDC sound reactive lighting controller  (also with full on/off switch) sourced from car audio (i.e cold cathode lights etc)
  • Fused single power socket on the rear of the machine, which is wired to an internal power board which runs the PC and monitor.
  • 12vDC is borrowed from the PC power supply to power the fluro, the rear fan and the lighting controller.
  • Keyboard Encoder: IPAC VE (Value Edition)
  • Wireless keyboard/mouse receiver
  • Wireless Singstar Microphones
  • Wireless Guitars (Guitar Hero/FoF)
  • Wireless Arcade Desktop Controller (another one of my projects - using hacked Playstation 2 controller)

Software:
  • Operating System: TinyXP Experience Rev06
  • Jukebox: Ultimate Jukebox
  • Karaoke: Ultrastar Deluxe
  • 'Guitar Hero': Frets On Fire MfH Mod
  • Virtual Slots: "Real Deal Slots: Ghost Town"
  • Arcade Front End: MALA
  • Arcade Games: MAME 1.06
  • Touch Screen Games: World Of Goo and Crayon Physics
  • Kids Paint Program: Tux Paint
  • Screensaver: gphotoshow (for using as a Digital Photo Frame)
  • DTV/Capture software: ArcSoft Total Media

Some other features you might not notice:
  • The carry handles at the side are vented on the bottom and open at the top (on the inside). This allows for the hot air to escape, but it also proved handy as I can reach in to the right hand side and flick the sound-lighting to 'permanent on' or off.
  • The Jukebox has no speakers. It's designed to be portable and plug into any audio gear. I bought some Logitech Z4's which do a good job for around the house.
  • The only cables the jukebox need is one PC-style power cable, and the audio out lead.  On the back of the juke I have a drive-bay style 'all in one' USB hub, audio socket, an card reader which allows me to plug in corded accessories, or add more music through most memory card types.
  • The rear panel is held in place by four very strong cabinet magnets. When you access it through the back, there are two latches which allow the front panel (monitor) to be easily removed. This allows for easier servicing, monitor replacement etc. With some minor plan adjustments, it would also allows you to manually rotate the monitor (if used as an arcade bartop).
  • Whilst its primary function is a jukebox, it does a great job as an arcade bartop when combined with a wireless desktop control panel (wired can also work thanks to the USB on the back).

By the way, video editing was performed using Sony Vegas Studio 9.0

The plans were drawn in MS Visio, printed and then corrected as I built. If my notes make sense I'll update the plans and print them to a PDF.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:04:21 am by dmworking247 »

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:22 am »
Build Pics

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:59:28 am by dmworking247 »

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:45 am »
Sorry, I've realized this should be in the "Project Announcements" Forum. Can a mod please move it?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:22:46 am »
Good job!
I like it!
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:46 pm »
Wow! Is there anything that cab +won't+ do!?

Very nice! And small to boot.

I love the wireless stick!

bgspot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:37:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:53 pm »
Very nice clean juke :cheers:

dafelandry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 12:08:40 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »
still got some plans for this??  I just got a sick deal on an elo and i would love to build a "multi-juke: like this!!!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 12:45:54 am »
still got some plans for this??  I just got a sick deal on an elo and i would love to build a "multi-juke: like this!!!

Ask and you shall receive!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:00:12 am by dmworking247 »

dafelandry

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »
holy cow!!!! You are amazing!!! Cannot wait till my Elo shows up  :notworthy: :notworthy:

IF you wouldn't mind care to take some more photos of the mobo placement??
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:05:55 pm by dafelandry »

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:47 pm »
holy cow!!!! You are amazing!!! Cannot wait till my Elo shows up  :notworthy: :notworthy:

IF you wouldn't mind care to take some more photos of the mobo placement??

These are the closest I've got, from the construction stage. My motherboard was approx 9.5" x 9.5" (24x24cm).  The first shot gives an idea of scale, but the second is closer to the final placement. You just need to allow for the pushbutton & microswitch on the front (or you could use japanese sanwa style buttons if the space is too small), then a little bit of room towards the back for usb/audio cables etc sticking out of the motherboard. In my case I allowed just enough room for the 5.25" usb hub/card reader/audio panel that gives me all of the interfaces I need neatly on the back of the machine.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:01:01 am by dmworking247 »

dafelandry

• Offline Offline
Re: Touch Screen Jukebox Project (Complete) + Video
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:09:09 pm »
Very cool!! I was curious oh where/how you mounted you HD's and such.... I plan on altering it a bit (thinking of an easy removable piece of wood or hacked up old computer case to mount hardware, for servicing/swap out reasons)

Thanks for all your feedback! I know sometimes it’s hard to show genius ideas to strangers... very appreciated... After work I pick up me Elo (from FedEx) and this thing is about to take off!! I understand there is limited room but by looking at the newly posted pics and the older posted "inside rear" pic, it gives me great ideas on mounting certain things (HD, Ipac, PS ) and adding a few “personal” touches (not that yours is flawed) I plan on posting my results (and giving credit of course)

:notworthy:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:32:10 pm »
Very cool!! I was curious oh where/how you mounted you HD's and such.... I plan on altering it a bit (thinking of an easy removable piece of wood or hacked up old computer case to mount hardware, for servicing/swap out reasons)

Thanks for all your feedback! I know sometimes it’s hard to show genius ideas to strangers... very appreciated... After work I pick up me Elo (from FedEx) and this thing is about to take off!! I understand there is limited room but by looking at the newly posted pics and the older posted "inside rear" pic, it gives me great ideas on mounting certain things (HD, Ipac, PS ) and adding a few “personal” touches (not that yours is flawed) I plan on posting my results (and giving credit of course)

:notworthy:

I know what you mean about servicability. In my case the whole LCD 'bezel' is kept in place with two clips accessible through the rear panel. The front then comes out which allows me to service anything inside from the front or rear.  The motherboard sits on PCB feet also, to allow for reasonably easy upgrading:

Another alternative you could use with this style of bartop/jukebox (providing your motherboard is 10x10 inches or less) is to put a vertical brace between the walls and mount the motherboard vertically. This is particularly feasible if you do not need any PCI/expansion cards in your project. This photo from my "Taxi Cab" project will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:22 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:56:25 pm »
Beautiful job, especially the pro looking vinyl finish, also a very versatile unit!

jholman76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2015, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:59 pm »
I think I'm in love with Crayon Physics....

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »
I really really like this jukebox.
I had wanted to make a jukebox out of an old console stereo but can't seem to locate a suitable unit.
After I saw this I fell in love. I really really like it.
In fact I've sent off the images of it to a carpenter friend to see if he can help me build something like this.
I'd like it to look like this jukebox with a front grill like the mounting jukebox and just some additional ventilation on the sides.
(as I have 3 laptop cooling stations.....9 fans in total with blue LED's) that I would like to use in the build.
The ventilation would also help the blue lights to "leak" out which I think would look cool.

Great work !
Thank you for inspiring me !

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:13 am »
I really really like this jukebox.
Great work !
Thank you for inspiring me !

Thanks for the feedback!

You're most welcome, inspiration is what forums like BYOAC are about. I really enjoy watching spinoff projects and the personaisations they bring. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 07:08:24 am »
I've sent off the images of your jukebox to a carpenter friend just to gauge his willingness to help me.
All be it your jukebox is SUPER SUPER multi function mine will simply be a stand along jukebox.
So other then then buttons on the front which I would like to replace with a grill similar to the one seen on mountains jukebox I'd like the overall look to closely resemble yours.

I think the style of your jukebox and the portability (something I never considered) make it well suited for my games room. It's very much in keeping with the rest of my arcades and bar tops.

Your work is outstanding! So again I thank you for the inspiration.....and I'm glad your cool with the fact that I flat out want to rip off your design ! jj !

I had a prior post to a blog I had started to outline the project, however I fell on some hard times as of late.
I'm glad to say I've begun the process of bouncing back. I have some bar tops that I'd like to complete in order to generate some funds then it's all jukebox.

Enuff about myself, sorry for taking away from your thread.
Awesome project, amazing work, amazing jukebox, once again congrats !

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 10:04:52 am »
I received a few PMs that the images (and importantly, project plan PDF link) were dead. Fixed!

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:43:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 12:53:43 pm »
Very nice work!  :cheers: