Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Attention T-Molding Problems  (Read 1913 times)

robsinfl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2009, 06:50:08 pm
Attention T-Molding Problems
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:18:54 am »
 Ok I took a arbor http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93389and cutting disk http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44812off my die grinder and stuck in my router then adjusted my depth on the router to 3/8" as I am working with 3/4" wood and 3/8" is the center then clamped on some boards to make a jig so I couldnt cut anymore than 1/4" deep. The cutting disk are 1/16" of an inch thick. It was so easy and worked out great.

Hope this helps someone
Rob

sstorkel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
Re: Attention T-Molding Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:24 am »
Glad to hear that you're still alive after that adventure! Not something I would ever consider doing, but I'm glad you managed to escape without injury...

Molinero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2010, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:51 am »
uh yeah I wouldn't do that again if I was you.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »
 :o  :o

Seriously, don't try that again!!

Im suprised you escaped without injury.

Those discs you are using are designed to chop off metal bar etc, not to cut wood. Those discs work by grinding away the material, you cannot grind wood. All that will be happening is that the disc will try to cut but it will only burn the wood. If its MDF it will probably heat the glue in the wood up and become hard as the wood/glue/sawdust compacts together as the dics have no means of clearing the wooddust etc which is why you cannot 'cut' any deeper than 1/4".

The fact that the discs are 3" wont help matters either. The edge of the disc will be further away from the spindle than necessary which means the router will be over hanging the material more which in turn means it will be harder to keep the router flat against the wood. I dont want to know what would happen if the router tipped slightly with the brittle disc against / 1/4" into the material. 

You want a propper 1/16" slot cutter and the appropriate spindle for it. Something like this:

Product link

You can scrimp on some things by taking shortcuts and not always using the corret tooling but dont scrimp on something thats spinning at 20,000RPM a few inches away from your b0llocks!

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:00:42 pm »
I don't know about you guys but I made sure my "b0llocks" where as far away as possible from the bit while cutting.

I built my own sawhorses. They're pretty high so the family jewels are clearly out of sight. If anything goes wrong and shoots off, it would hit my stomach instead. But I use a heavy apron anyways.

Safety first! ;D