Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I hate my job and want to switch rant  (Read 10601 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
I hate my job and want to switch rant
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:31 pm »
I pretty much hate my job at this point. After fighting my gut feeling for months, I am pretty sure that things won't get better. I've never been properly trained, and that is hurting big time now. I've went thru some real life events the past 2 years that have had an effect on my outlook on work and life also. I feel like I am wasting my life sitting in a frikkin 8x8 cell for most of the day. I look at some of the older folks here and say to myself, "no way do I want to be like them - a slave to a company while their family does pretty much everything without them." I am to the point I dread showing up here, and simply cannot concentrate while I am here. I love the people I work with, but the work simply sucks. I hate being in an office all day. I'm starting to look for a new job, but I know that if I simply move on to another office job I will just end up in the same boat eventually.

My degree is in Mechanical Engineering and I really don't think engineering/construction is something I want to do the rest of my life. The field is so full of B.S. anymore that it simply is not fun. I think I would like to be a teacher, but a masters degree to get a license would take 3 years. For goodness sakes, I went into Engineering because I thought I could make more money than a teacher, but realistically it isn't much more unless you are a high ranking VP or something. I do think I will still go the teacher route eventually, but for now I just don't know how much longer I can put up with my current job - looks don't pay for masters degrees you know.

I can tell I am at a crossroads in my career, I have a wife and kid at home and need the insurance/paycheck, so I can't just quit and float until the next job.

I'm sure a few of you have been through something similar, and I could really use a few words of encouragement.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: I hate my job and want to switch rant
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:48:32 pm »
I'm sure a few of you have been through something similar, and I could really use a few words of encouragement.

I'm in a somewhat similar spot and have been for a couple of years.  The main difference between your spot and mine, I think, is that I am making good money and would have to take a pretty big salary hit in order to change fields.  That or I'd have to go back to school for substantial work before changing, which I wouldn't mind much, but I don't want to get back into thousands and thousands of dollars of school loan debt.  Took me too many years to get out the first time.

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:52:42 pm »
Will your current employer pay for your master classes?  If so, get started on the degree and leave when you are done.  Possible that during your coursework your employer will figure out what is going on and perhaps another door might open for you there.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:55:58 pm »
Will your current employer pay for your master classes?  If so, get started on the degree and leave when you are done.  Possible that during your coursework your employer will figure out what is going on and perhaps another door might open for you there.

He wouldnt be able to leave as soon as he is done though.  Most competent companies will require that you stay with them a certain number of years before leaving.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:57:35 pm »
He wouldnt be able to leave as soon as he is done though.  Most competent companies will require that you stay with them a certain number of years before leaving.

That is not necessarily true.  It is very common for an engineering company to have tuition reimbursement.  I have never worked at one that obligated anything more than a certain performance level in the class and on the job while in the class.  Sadly my employer has $1000/year reimbursement.  That isn't enough for one class at a good school.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »
Wow, I'm at the other end of the spectrum as you guys.  I'm more worried about losing my job with the upcoming tanking of our economy.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:59:32 pm »
Heh, no they wouldn't pay for my masters degree. Here in WV, you can become a certified teacher with any Bachelors degree, and a masters in Teaching. It is a way to get a diversified teaching staff.

Besides, the fact I was wanting to get a masters in teaching would kind of be a ringer that I was switching careers.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:00:24 pm »
Wow, I'm at the other end of the spectrum as you guys.  I'm more worried about losing my job with the upcoming tanking of our economy.

Well that could eventually happen too in the construction business.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:09 pm »
Well that could eventually happen too in the construction business.

That is a main factor in my not switching careers or going back to school at night.  My employer wouldn't get hit nearly as hard by a recession as other engineering companies so as a senior guy here I'd probably be on the safe side.  I don't want to run up all of that loan debt, either, with a possible recession coming.  So for the time being it looks like I sit and ride for a while where I am.   :-\

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm »
So for the time being it looks like I sit and ride for a while where I am.   :-\

That is what logic dictates I should do, but I just don't know how much longer I can put up with this place.

Here is an example of the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I put up with:
I get handed a job, and told "Don't worry about it being perfect, just get the job out". I hate doing those types of half-assed jobs, but it seems that's all I get. I've done them for so long that I've almost forgot how to do the job right and proper. Anyways, I notice that once the job lands in my hands, it is already overdue by at least a few weeks - usually months.  Doesn't matter though, guess who gets put on the hot seat when the GC starts conveniently calling a day after I get it. So I whip out a half-assed design with that "Don't worry about it" promise.  Then when the calls start coming in about problems in the field, and/or things the salesman missed, guess who again gets put on the hot seat? You guessed it. Now take that example and multiply it by about 5, because at any one time I have 5 of them and they are all rush jobs and I have to prioritze by which GC complains louder.

Recently, my supervisor took note of the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I was going through and helped redistribute some projects. I get back down to having the one big project that I've been bumping down the priority list for weeks, and as soon as I start to concentrate on it and think things are getting better, here come even more last minute time eaters and field issues I have to fix! It has been 2 weeks, and I STILL have not been able to spend more than an hour on my big project at a time. It takes a frikkin hour just to get my head wrapped around what I need to do - so I end up accomplishing nothing. Well, guess which project is now in that danger area of last minute like all the others? Yep, you guessed it - the big project. I figure the dreaded GC calls will be starting any day and that the big boss will be coming around wondering WTF is the problem. He's oblivious that most of us are way overstretched.

This type of work has just wore me down to where I just don't care any more.

zaphod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »

In my neck of the woods, that is not true.  Many organizations are now only reimbursing for degree work actually related to your job or in the direct path of your job in that company, but you still could leave immediately if you so wished.  I think that they would have a talk with you at some point just to see what your plans were, and if you are a good employee, how they could get you to stay.

Edit- You got in while I was typing.  What you describe is a fairly common practice at many organizations.  Well, not the "half-assed" piece but the rest.  There are weeks where I can't get to the project I actually need to be, and my many other projects have their priorities shifted so often I can't even keep pace with which is more important than what.  Just focus on doing a good job and let the VPs argue amongst themselves.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:24:02 pm by zaphod »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 04:22:49 pm »

Often you have to wait until they actually cut you the check to leave.  It may be 2-3 months after completing the course for that to happen.  One of the little print terms on the policy is "and still an employee in good standing until the reimbursement is made".

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:23:44 pm »
You can get grants from the federal government to pay for your tuition and give you a stipend if you pursue teaching.  A friend of mine got a deal where his classes were paid for and he was given ~$20k a year.  Only catch was he had to a sign a contract promising to teach high school math for 3 years when he finished.  (put a heavy stamp of "if I remember correctly" on all that)

I believe this is the program he was using:

http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5733&org=NSF&sel_org=NSF&from=fund

If the link doesn't work, try searching, "Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program"

I think I will follow up on that. I could get by on 20k a year if I lived on minimums and my savings.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 04:31:45 pm »
So what kind of teacher?

I forgot all about that program.  Keep in mind that they might want you to teach in certain areas where there are a lack of teachers/surplus of crime.  Not sure if it was the same program as the one mentioned or not but i vaguely recall a program for getting new teachers into areas that werent safe.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:31 pm »

He should go teach basketball and tupperware to natives in Africa.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 04:42:07 pm »
I believe this is the program he was using:

http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5733&org=NSF&sel_org=NSF&from=fund

If the link doesn't work, try searching, "Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program"

Upon closer inspection, that is not a nationwide program. It is money available for Universities to submit grant proposals as to why they could best put the money to use. No universities in my area participate.

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 04:43:10 pm »
For some reason i wanted to say he would teach history but math would make more sense with the engineering background i suppose.

Also i dont think he would want to work in Africa since he wants to spend more time with his family and his family being mad at him for wanting to move out of the country might make things worse.

edit-how about something like this link
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:45:29 pm by SithMaster »

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 04:45:19 pm »
So what kind of teacher?

When I think of jobs that I think I would enjoy, teaching is the only one that strikes a chord with me. Every single other job is just a "means to an end" to me. I thought I could get away with the means to an end thing, but I realize it is just gonna make me a miserable person in the long run. Why spend half of every day of my life away from everything I love just so I can buy nice things, own a home, etc? The logic of that is just retarded!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 04:45:45 pm »
Also i dont think he would want to work in Africa since he wants to spend more time with his family and his family being mad at him for wanting to move out of the country might make things worse.

Eric Foreman had that problem.

sharidan, give it a shot.  Maybe your wife will be blonde when you get back!

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 04:46:55 pm »
For some reason i wanted to say he would teach history but math would make more sense with the engineering background i suppose.

edit-how about something like this link

I would want to teach math, science, physics, or just general elementary classes.

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 04:47:30 pm »

Eric Foreman had that problem.

Yeah but he had to get a bunch of vaccines before he left (if he did i never saw how that turned out for him).

Shardian check that link in my last post if you missed it.

edit-i wouldnt mind teaching history if i ever got the chance.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »

My wife is already blonde. And dude, you keep spelling my name wrong. :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:49:19 pm by shardian »

SithMaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 04:48:45 pm »
for a sec i thought you meant me.  but you didnt.

edit- another link
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:56:07 pm by SithMaster »

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:02 pm »
I hate my job too, but not my field.  I took this position because it seemed like an interesting opportunity to work with some former colleagues on a cool project; WRONG!

Now I'm stuck in a  :censored: job and am looking.....

Dartful Dodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:40 pm »
...me too, the weather isn't helping my mood either.

The lottery is over 150 million.

If I don't win tomorrow I'll need to rethink my plan B.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:15 pm »
I hate my job too, but not my field.  I took this position because it seemed like an interesting opportunity to work with some former colleagues on a cool project; WRONG!

I took the job I am in because the job market SUCKED when I graduated. There were zero jobs for ME's, and the jobs that were open knew they were the only show in town so salaries were insulting. Unfortunately, the job market still sucks, and we have the fear of a crap economy, a recession, a weak dollar, an election with all of its unknowns, etc. It wouldn't take much in this perfect storm to find yourself up the creek without a paddle, you know?

That is why I wish I could get out of my rut at this job. At this point in time, any job is more important than a the job of your dream.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2024, 08:39:43 am
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 05:10:35 pm »
You probably DONT want to get your Masters before finding a teaching job though.  Most school systems have to pay extra for anyone that has their Master's degree.   It's cheaper for them to hire someone with a Bachelors instead of a Masters. 

You probably want to add your teaching certificate to your degree.  It's easier and faster to do that.  My teacher's license expired about 10 years ago and I am working to get it back.  I left a job paying 80k+ with excellent benefits to work for a very, very small non-profit foundation (I'm the only employee), and my plan is to get my license back spring of '09 to teach the following fall.  I'll probably lose another 30k off my salary but it's more worthwhile IMO.

Good luck.   :)

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 05:45:48 pm »
I dont hate my job, as in-so-much as I dropped out of uni, and getting 11 an hour for unskilled labour isnt a bad deal. When I see people talking about how they get 80k+ a year im like O.o! I could easily buy property and pay for surgery with that kind of income, even if the job/career sucked.... (Hell, i would prolly work a job like that for 7 years, save up a bunch, then change to a lower paying job that I enjoyed). But meh..... Just me rambling...
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 06:00:09 pm »
I've said this before(maybe not on this board): 

When I waited tables full time through college I couldn’t wait to get my “real job”.

Now that I have a “real job” I realize as long as you’re getting paid you have a real job.

If I could make the money I make now shoveling *poo* I'd switch jobs in a heartbeat.

Not having to work is still my main goal.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 06:39:09 pm »

I took the job I am in because the job market SUCKED when I graduated. There were zero jobs for ME's, and the jobs that were open knew they were the only show in town so salaries were insulting. Unfortunately, the job market still sucks, and we have the fear of a crap economy, a recession, a weak dollar, an election with all of its unknowns, etc. It wouldn't take much in this perfect storm to find yourself up the creek without a paddle, you know?

That is why I wish I could get out of my rut at this job. At this point in time, any job is more important than a the job of your dream.
Guess you're more than welcome here. Company's cannot find competent people here, economy is great, euro is strong and the most important thing: we do not have cells in offices (we do still think people are actually human).

I've been working in IT 5 years, and was forced to go back to my "electronics career" because of a really bad period in IT. Through another company, I landed here at a small company in Fire alarm systems. I come around when the installing guys are finished and the system needs to be programmed and checked if it's installed according to the rules and plans etc. and then test everything. I also do maintenance and repairs. So, I don't work in an office, but I never had a problem with it when I did (although I have to admit, it was always projects for, let's say a year).  I have parts of the job I hate. The worst thing are the traffic jams, and my boss expecting me to be there at 8.00, wherever it may be and whatever traffic jams I may have to go through. I make a pretty decent salary for the work I do, lot better than market average and I drive a pretty decent company car (for our standards). It's a nice company to work for, there's a strong binding feeling and I was actually surprised how much that means to me. Work is nice if you are being appreciated. I also like to get the time to do things properly, and that's usually ok. I do feel I have more potential than the work I'm doing now though. So I am now studying to be able to design fire alarm systems for buildings, a next step and a welcome change. Not sure what will come from it, but it's nice to have more options open....

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2024, 08:39:43 am
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 07:02:53 pm »
Not sure where you are in WV but here are several links to different programs at different schools.

WV
http://www.hre.wvu.edu/hre/teachered/teachered.html
(The link you should follow on that page isn't working so I couldn't pull up more details.  A call to the school may help)

Marshall
http://www.marshall.edu/coehs/academics/certification/programs/mat/
The post-baccalaureate teacher certification program is an accelerated avenue for college graduates to attain teacher certification. The program's professional education courses and clinical experiences combine with the content the student earned at the undergraduate or graduate level(s) to lead to teacher certification. For additional information on the certification program, you can request a copy of the brochure.

Generally speaking, someone with Masters has to be paid 5-8k more per year than a Bachelors.  Unless a school system is desperate for a particular area (math could be one), they don't want to pay for a Masters when a Bachelors candidate will do.  Market conditions obviously can affect that.  However, based on the current economic outlook, I can't see a school district with enough money to go that route unless they are really, really desperate.

I've researched different universities in Indiana for about five or six months regarding licensing.  I realize some rules are different from state to state but the generalities are fairly standard.  I was originally licensed in five or six states to teach secondary education and there were only minor differences between each state.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »
And dude, you keep spelling my name wrong. :P

Surely you don't mean that.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 07:09:13 pm »
If I could make the money I make now shoveling *poo* I'd switch jobs in a heartbeat.

I was watching Dirty Jobs the other day and every job I saw had me thinking "that looks more fun than what I do and that guy is knee deep in poo".

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »
Shardian,

Have you considered law school?  With a science/math background you could go into patent law and make loads of money.  There is a major shortage of patent lawyers (you have to have physics and math classes that most law students have no interest in), so you are pretty much guaranteed a high-paying job right out of school.  Firms that normally only take students that were in the top 5%-10% of their class will pretty much just hire you regardless of your performance in law school if you meet the requirements to be a patent attorney. 

Obviously, I'm in law school.  So I'm partial to law school.  Whatever.  What other grad degree can you start whether you majored in political science, music, chemistry, early childhood development, 18th century women's literature, or anything else, only takes three years from start to finish, and sets you up to make the kind of money lawyers can make? 

If you have what it takes to do patent law, and it sounds like you do, and you want to completely change career fields, and it sounds like you do, but you'd still like to make some use of your engineering background (presumably you do), and you want to be guaranteed a very good living . . .

Look into it.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »
Hmmm, let's see... I went to law school. Now I'm working for a big bank in a tropical country. My office oversees the bay and my apartment has a gym and a swimming pool, I have 11 people in my team and enough money to retire. Did I do okay?  :angel:

But seriously, if you want to enhance your career opportunities, consider an MBA. With a degree in engineering and an MBA the opportunities are much better then with only a bachelor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:41:58 pm by Singapura »
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

MadGamer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 10:40:51 am
  • Locotestman
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »
So what kind of teacher?

Why spend half of every day of my life away from everything I love just so I can buy nice things, own a home, etc? The logic of that is just retarded!

You basically just described 99% of every working person in the world.

JOB = spending half of every day of your life away from everything you love just so I can buy nice things, own a home, etc?
I used to be Knowledgeable !!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 08:26:50 pm »

An MBA will get him his boss' job yelling at a guy like him now.  He may as well give himself a head injury that leads to a 40% reduction in mental faculties - it would be the same as getting that MBA from a lifestyle perspective.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 08:50:25 pm »
Head injuries don't bring in $$$, MBA's do  8)
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
MBAs don't even necessarily bring in $$$.

pinballjim overstates the case against.  Had I gone to University of Utah my tuition would have been about $11,000 per year.  That's under $40k, and it's a well-regarded university.  I got into U of U, but I chose Miami because I want to do international law and Miami has a very good program (while the land-locked Salt Lake City based school doesn't have an international program to speak of).  Anyway, law school doesn't have to cost $30-$40k per year.  Just go to a public school instead of a private school and you won't end up with $100k of debt.

As for the LSAT (Law School Admission Test), it's great news.  You don't have to know anything for it.  It doesn't test knowledge.  The answer to EVERY question is contained within the question.  It only tests your skill at seeing the answers within the questions.  It's mostly a logic test.  And the skills can be learned in a short period of time if you're willing to put in some effort.  The hardest section of the test for the vast majority of people is actually the most teachable section (reading comprehension is the least). 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:24:33 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 10:57:49 pm »
It seems like I'm in the minority here...  I actually like my job.   :dunno