Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I hate my job and want to switch rant  (Read 10511 times)

Wade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
Re: I hate my job and want to switch rant
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »
I don't mean to say that people literally walked up to comp sci's and said, "hey, engineer."  I mean it was in the engineering program in the engineering college and had more required math than the engineers, and MIS was in the business school with very light math, engineering, or programming classes.

It was only 10 years ago that I was in college.  Some colleges might have changed a lot in that time, but I'm sure those in my state (WV) haven't changed that much.  I'm sure that the college of engineering vs. college of business separation still exists as most schools for CS vs. MIS.

Wade

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2008, 01:24:44 am »
I hated graduates coming into my old company (Fujitsu) because I had to train the guys who had a computer science degree on how to use the computer system.  This was more than 10 years ago, but some of those guys were just plain dumb.

Degrees are nice to have but cannot replace someone with experience.

I laugh at them now considering the costs to get a degree and still they take $10 an hour jobs.  :laugh2:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2008, 09:16:19 am »

I can't see someone having an actual cmpsci BS needing to take a $10/hr job.  I was making more than that as an intern my freshman year - in 1994.

There are definitely guys in cmpsci that just have no practical life skills, though.  That is not unique to cmpsci, there are people like that everywhere.  I have met cmpsci grads that couldn't identify the CPU on a motherboard.  Those same guys, though, could diagram out the logic bus based on their OS kernel knowledge.  Just don't ask them to show you where on the PCB it happens.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2008, 09:41:24 am »
I'd say 75% of the graduates went on to tech support / help desk type positions. 

And those are the people that, taking the easier path, were first on the guillotine when the crash happened.  Those are the people that never were able to find another job and ended up moving to other fields they could have entered without a degree.  Every talent pool has its lower rung of mediocrity.

In other words - the folks that came out with an undergrad degree not being able to grasp the scale difference between Access and Oracle and not having the motivation to research a potential employer going into the interview.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:42:58 am by ChadTower »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2008, 11:49:28 am »
Crash happened before I graduated, kthx.  We're not all awesome and old like you.

Okay, then let's make it more current:  Those people are the first laid off when jobs get moved to India.  Better workers get moved into other positions - the dairy cows end up selling cars or working collections in a phone farm.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »
People in India can swap out dead hard drives in the continental US?

Corporate support contracts actually call for that sometimes.  Defective machines aren't fixed, they are sent back in groups and replaced by working ones.  The defective boxes are then shipped off someplace, refurbed, and put back into the manufacturer's pool for support contracts.  I wouldn't be surprised if some companies ship them off to India for that.  Small hardware like laptops, anyway.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2008, 02:13:56 am »
People in India can swap out dead hard drives in the continental US?

Corporate support contracts actually call for that sometimes.  Defective machines aren't fixed, they are sent back in groups and replaced by working ones.  The defective boxes are then shipped off someplace, refurbed, and put back into the manufacturer's pool for support contracts.  I wouldn't be surprised if some companies ship them off to India for that.  Small hardware like laptops, anyway.

No they send the equipment to the UK and the big boys there send it to India.  They charge say $100 to refurbish it when it really costs including shipping about $50.

Thus the hew and cry about the outsourcing that has been going on since 2004.  India or Pakistan doesn't care as they have a lot of people there on the breadlines.  Work is cheap and so is exploitation.

Makes you want to quit your job and set up a company in..... :censored:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.