Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MaLa - want to derive three lists from one main list  (Read 1480 times)

Anubis_au

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
MaLa - want to derive three lists from one main list
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:10:12 am »
Hi

This question goes out for the MaLa experts.

After many weeks of patient waiting, today my bunch of discs arrived from my rom burner, and so finally I will be loading the full romset.

I'm using MaLa as my front-end, and I ultimately want to have the following functionality:

1. Initial list shown: just my favourite games (heavily cut down to say top 250 games)
2. Optional list: only vertical games
3. Optional list: the full list of games

I may not end up with a separate list of vertical games. That is only really of use if I end up with a rotating monitor in my cab, otherwise, vetical and horizontal games may as well be together in one list.

But what I want is advice on how best to make the favourites list? Is it better to build it up from scratch, or copy the full list and cull?

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Re: MaLa - want to derive three lists from one main list
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:17:51 am »
Use romlister.  Offers selections like categories, buttons, controls, and more.  Then use the mala tree to organize your lists.  You will want more than three lists if you got all 6000+ games.  I have 30 something lists on mine.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:28:16 am »
as GG said, ROMLister is here to help.
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/ROMLister

Not only can you separate out the V from H games, but you could also eliminate the games that your machine can't play, like if you don't have a trackball, or only have 4 buttons, you can eliminate the ones that you'll never be able to properly support.

(and thanks GG!)

-jeff!

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:32:19 pm »
I went through each game and saw the screenshot.  If I was interested, then I tried it out.  If it was fun I put it in my favorites list.

As for creating other gamelists from Mame, I simply had MALA separate the games for me (ie: Lightgun games, Shooters, etc...).    Do not know whether MALA can separate vertical/horizontal games since I do not have a rotating monitor.   Perhaps it can though, just list all of the Mame games and then see what types of games it can filter on.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:55:52 pm »
Or you can just use the mala gamelist editor to do the job.  Just use the add/remove selection to get what you want.

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:06 pm »
Yes, this is what I was referring to ....