Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Router advice needed  (Read 1625 times)

welshmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:21:16 pm
Router advice needed
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:14:23 pm »
Bought the Porter Cable 893PK router when it was on sale at Lowes recently.  Just started using it and now I'm looking for a bushing set.  Can anyone recommend a good (inexpensive) set?

Also, I'm building a jukebox.  Built the circle cutting jig from Bill Hylton's book to cut the curved top and it worked great.  Now I want to cut out an access door on the back panel with the same curve at the top (see attached sketch).  I used my 1/4" straight bit to cut out the outside curve, but that would leave too much of a gap for the access door.  Can anyone recommend a bit I could use to cut out the door?  Would a 1/8" spiral upcut or spiral downcut bit work?

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 02:41:27 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: Router advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:19:45 pm »
Even an 1/8" gap around a door will look too big, I would suggest either cutting the hole and using a different piece for the door that is more like 1/16" smaller on each side or using the 1/8" bit and adding some sort of trim that covers the gap and hides the hinges, if the door opens in it would be practically invisible, if it opens out I think you would have to either buy fancy hinges or see the hinge.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:45:20 pm »
Here's a good set.
I have them and use em a lot.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:54:53 pm »
Also, I'm building a jukebox.  Built the circle cutting jig from Bill Hylton's book to cut the curved top and it worked great.  Now I want to cut out an access door on the back panel with the same curve at the top (see attached sketch).  I used my 1/4" straight bit to cut out the outside curve, but that would leave too much of a gap for the access door.  Can anyone recommend a bit I could use to cut out the door?  Would a 1/8" spiral upcut or spiral downcut bit work?

To be honest, I'd use a jigsaw for this task. It will remove a minimal amount of wood when cutting the door from the hole. If the cut is a little ragged, you can clean it up with sandpaper. A 1/8" gap is still fairly large. When I build storage cabinets, I generally shoot for a 1/16" gap around the doors.