Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: weird audio problem with Dreamcast  (Read 990 times)

shess

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2021, 04:17:28 pm
weird audio problem with Dreamcast
« on: August 12, 2006, 10:25:14 pm »
So I'm using a DC to Jamma converter with it wired for stereo.  The speakers are powered and everything sounds fine when I turn it on.  I hear the startup sound and then it goes to the game.  The problem is that all the music works fine, but the special effects and voices are barely audible.  Any idea what the problem could be?

Scott

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
Re: weird audio problem with Dreamcast
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:04:12 pm »
Did you build the DC to JAMMA adapter or is it something along the lines of an MGCD?

Are you running an audio amp? If not it would most likely solve your problem.

I know before I added an amp sound was pretty buggy. I've picked up some basic audio amps from ebay for $20 to $30 Optimus SA-155 is the one I've used for a couple of console / DC cabs. I believe a few other users here have them in their console / DC cabs as well.

Here's an ebay LINK as an example.

Hope this helps.

-G

shess

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2021, 04:17:28 pm
Re: weird audio problem with Dreamcast
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:03:54 am »
I built a dc to jamma adaptor, much like on the dc2jamma site.  As far as the amp goes, there is an amp in the sub that feeds the two speakers.  Do I need to amplify the signal before it gets to the amp in the sub?  I thought about the amp but then when I hear that the music is nice and loud I thought another amp would be overkill.  Here's how everything is wired up.  I have a scart cable that I've hacked to the jamma fingerboard.  Left and right are soldered on to the board in mvs fashion (left is negative and right is positive).  The speaker wires on my jamma harness are connected to the cable that feeds the line-in jack on my sub, which then connects to the speakers.  In my mind the sub should have amplified the signal and made everything good.  Or is that not the case?

Thanks,
Scott