Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Attaching 2x4 to inside of cab?  (Read 3046 times)

Dave Wave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2019, 08:29:38 am
  • I'm a llama!
Attaching 2x4 to inside of cab?
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:23 am »
Anybody have any good tricks to attach a 2x4 to the inside of a cab without drilling a hole throght to the other side?

Thanks,

Dave

Boz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2021, 09:24:11 am
    • Battle Chasers Upright Cabinet
Re: Attaching 2x4 to inside of cab?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:19:35 pm »
I'm no expert, but my personal experience has been to use cabinet screw lengths that, when I start from the inside, the screw will be just short of the outside of the cabinet. I would think you'd be able to find varying lengths of screws that will allow you to do this. Since 2x4s are actually 1 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches, you'd have to take these measurements into account. I've found that 4x8 by 3/4 sheet goods vary in thickness from 5/8 to an actual 3/4.

However, and Drew and confirm or deny, if the 2x4s are going to bear some kind of load, you wouldn't want to stop short. Theoretically, I'd think you'd want to go from the outside-in to gain maximum holding power. Counter sink your holes on the outside for a smooth finish and dremel or hack-saw the residual screw that protrudes into the cabinet.

Just my inexperienced $0.02
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:21:19 pm by In2ishun »

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 02:06:22 pm »
Anybody have any good tricks to attach a 2x4 to the inside of a cab without drilling a hole throght to the other side?

Thanks,

Dave

Wood glue and a few screws to hold it untill the glue dries.  If this is going to bear a lot of weight then I woould go from the other side, countersink and then fill with wood putty.

On the topic of wood putty.  Forget a scraper.  Get some laytex gloves and just pack the stuff in the holes.  Make sure it is buldging out and sand smooth after it dries.  It sands very easy and will look great.

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 02:45:29 pm »
Are you talking about a support, or are you attaching the sides to a 2x4 frame?  If it's a support, why would you want to avoid the strength you'll gain by screwing into the outer sides into the support INside?

If it's a support piece, you also don't need something as big as a 2x4.  Get a 1" thick piece instead.  Less weight, more than adequate support....you could even use some scraps from the material you use for the sides of your cab.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t