Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 408099 times)

jcrouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #1320 on: March 07, 2006, 08:01:45 pm »
Well my experience setting up the gun and drivers was very frustrating. I am using XP. I installed the WinGun drivers and plugged the gun in. I pointed to the drivers and Device Manager looked good. I calibrated in Windows and everything went well. I then launched the WinGun control panel and it detected the gun. I made it throught the first step of waving the gun back and forth fine. I also made it throught the second step of moving across the four red line fine. However, when I went to shoot the dots (like it says, 1" from the screen) it just jumped back to the control panel like I was shooting off screen to exit. I could not get it to work. After an hour I tried the EMS 3.1 drivers with no luck. I switched back to the WInGun drivers and messed around for another hour. Finally I got it to calibrate. When I shot the dots I shoot at the normal playing distance of about four feet. Not 1" from the monitor like it says.

Someday I will buy a computer related product and it will install and work as advertised. I just know it.

Anyways, it was definately worth the effort. Police trainer is awesome.

Many thanks to silver for his website. I used it and it helped a lot.

John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 09:00:02 pm by jcrouse »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1321 on: March 07, 2006, 10:54:22 pm »
Ah yes thats one point worth repeating for Wingun. Its designed for normal Guncon2's, and the calibration instructions say to put the gun right up to the screen in calibration for "accuracy" - of course this does not work at all with the Topgun as its too close, and will register as an "off screen" shot.

I think Smogs Guncon2 driver is the best overall solution, although Wingun is flawless for me. I think Smog said he was working on the control panel issues a while back but not heard anything recently. I hope he has the time to get it sorted, as now rawinput is in the process being added to normal mame (think dual tracking lightguns without needing old analogmame or advancemame) - and I believe the person doing the adding is supporting that setup.

EMS drivers as they stand are still not sorted IMHO, and will not be usable with the upcoming mame changes, although EMS will be told (they need to make there driver appear as independant mice, not this "EMS-link" USB device driver they have bodged from another of their products...

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #1322 on: March 08, 2006, 10:03:58 am »
Still working on some bugs in control panel ... I did not have much time in past weeks. I can already tell you that I don't know how to fix the "save settings" since on my configuration it seems the gun does not like to be restarted, so the only solution is to unplug/replug the usb cable when you changes your settings. I am sure this is not a big issue for lcd guns if the answer to my next question is positive: So now we agree that the lcd gun's software calibration leads ALWAYS to the same results ?

If it is so ... you won't have to touch anything on calibration tab after driver installation. But you will have to unplug/replug when changing buttons settings. This is a one time work, but I know a lot of you will be disappointed for that ...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:11:28 am by Smog »
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1323 on: March 08, 2006, 10:31:41 am »
I am sure this is not a big issue for lcd guns if the answer to my next question is positive: So now we agree that the lcd gun's software calibration leads ALWAYS to the same results ?

Yes, it appears that is the case....

If it is so ... you won't have to touch anything on calibration tab after driver installation. But you will have to unplug/replug when changing buttons settings. This is a one time work, but I know a lot of you will be disappointed for that ...

Well the way I see it, if you update it to use those set values, then we can install your software, configure the buttons (could you add a list of which buttons on the Topgun relate to which on your mapping?).. and THEN plug in the gun. Perform a hardware calibration, and thats it - it should be a perfectly working gun.

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2006, 03:34:34 am
  • Leave them to me. I will deal with them myself.
« Reply #1324 on: March 08, 2006, 10:38:21 am »
Am I the only person who has tried the EMS 3.1 drivers and found them perfect???

I'm only using one gun with XP and am only using it for MAME games but it tracks and fires perfectly.

I was using Wingun but found the EMS drivers better. I think I'm in the minority.

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1325 on: March 08, 2006, 10:49:13 am »
Am I the only person who has tried the EMS 3.1 drivers and found them perfect???

I may give it another go this weekend. I tried it briefly last night but was set on WinGun due to Silver's recommendations.

John

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1326 on: March 08, 2006, 10:58:15 am »
could you add a list of which buttons on the Topgun relate to which on your mapping

Yes .. I could change the labels on the control panel

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1327 on: March 08, 2006, 11:01:32 am »
Can you offscreen reload with the EMS 3.1's? I thought they did not support this is mame at all....  They are also useless for using 2 guns.

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1328 on: March 08, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
Can you offscreen reload with the EMS 3.1's? I thought they did not support this is mame at all....  They are also useless for using 2 guns.

Silver

What games do you want testing for off screen reloads as my cab is only running a 1.1 GHz Athlon which means most CHD games don't work!!

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1329 on: March 08, 2006, 12:17:13 pm »
No you can not. Neither Dual LightGun is not Supported.
I emailed EMS, they are Hard-Working to solve OFFSCREEN and DUAL LIGHTGUN in next release.

I have a Question: How could I disasemble the LightGun? I want to change the MICROSWITCH. I think I unscrew all the screws, but I can only open the laser pointer and a little bit the GRIP. Do you think I

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #1330 on: March 08, 2006, 01:56:03 pm »
Way back on page 26 of this thread, RandyT wrote:

This is not something that you need to worry about Randy..... The motor connects to the topslide via a 1/4 turn gear, that is not engaged with the topslide when it is in the forward position. So cocking the top slide actually doesn't spin the motor.

Yep!  I guess I should have played with the recoil a little more.  Now I see the other teeth on that cog .

As you were.  Cock away!  :D

BTW, I don't know if anyone has a better way of pulling one of these apart, but I have found the following to work:

Pull back the action, and while in the rearmost position, spread the plastic at the area toward the gun. It's a little tricky, but It should pop out of the track.

Lift the back part slightly and allow it to go forward.  It will now slide off of the gun.   Be careful, there's a spring that wants to escape just above the laser area.

You should now be able to see some guts and the "barrel" will be exposed.

On the side of the start and select buttons, there is one (1) screw.  You will need to pull this screw to allow the gun body to spread enough to pop the barrel out.  A squeezing action on the barrel will help here.  BUT BE CAREFULL!  There are wires going through this piece, so don't yank on them.

I don't know how far anyone has interest in going, so I'll leave the rest to you.  From this point on, it's even more tricky.

RandyT

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

daveg2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2009, 08:55:51 pm
  • PSP? Yeah right. GP2X Baby! This thing is awesome
    • www.davegrams.com
« Reply #1331 on: March 08, 2006, 02:07:58 pm »
Wow.   I've been away for a few months now, and I come back to this!?!

:o

All I can say is.... "ordered one".

Cant wait to get my hands on this.
I want to use this primarily with MAME
on my WindowsXP Cabinet, so from what I"ve
been reading, I should be in good hands.

Got a Big 32" TV in my showcase cabinet that the
Act-Labs didnt work on (with S-video)
So I am pumped for this.   
...Now I also haven't looked into newer versions of MAME
in a while... does Point Blanc have any sound yet?    :-\
...so I will ask you... "Deal, or No Deal?"

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1332 on: March 08, 2006, 05:45:12 pm »
I want to apologize about my post at the top of the page. I was using Acorn's WinGun driver and thought I was using Smog's GunCon driver. I hope I did not mislead anyone with my statements.

Sorry,
John

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1333 on: March 08, 2006, 06:07:21 pm »
Is anyone else having problems with the button mappings in Smog's driver? The HTML docs on his site say you can only have five mouse buttons in Windows. I have set them all to "none" except three. The Trigger is button 1, and the Start and Select buttons which I want to use for "1" and "5" respectively. I set the mappings in the control panel and the "5" works but not the "1". Has anyone else experienced this?

They did work great with Acorn's driver, FWIW.

Thanks,
John

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1334 on: March 08, 2006, 07:13:26 pm »
What settings are you guys using in your mame.ini file for the EMS driver. I remapped the start and select buttons on the gun to "1" and "5" and they work fine but the trigger does not work. I believe I have tried every concievable combination for mous =, lightgun = and lightgun_device in the ini file but am having no luck with firing the gun. The game I am testing with is Police Trainer. In the settings for the game (TAB button) it is set to lctrl and lightgun button 1 (I believe), or whatever the defaults are.

Thanks,
John

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1335 on: March 08, 2006, 07:31:27 pm »
What settings are you guys using in your mame.ini file for the EMS driver. I remapped the start and select buttons on the gun to "1" and "5" and they work fine but the trigger does not work. I believe I have tried every concievable combination for mous =, lightgun = and lightgun_device in the ini file but am having no luck with firing the gun. The game I am testing with is Police Trainer. In the settings for the game (TAB button) it is set to lctrl and lightgun button 1 (I believe), or whatever the defaults are.

Thanks,
John

OK, button D is the trigger (I should RTFM).

Calibrate in Windows.
There is no EMS calibration however there is a test applet. The pointer was off for me but worked perfectly in Police Trainer.
Configure your desired buttons. Set button D (trigger) to "ctrl"
Modify your mame.ini file if necessary. Mine is like so:

mouse                   0
joystick                0
lightgun                0
dual_lightgun           0
offscreen_reload        0
lightgun_device         lightgun

And that was all ther was to it. It may not have the bells and whistles of the other drivers but it seems to work. Did someone say that the off-screen reload doesn't work? Also, how will this driver and configuration work with the upcoming changes in Mame?

Thanks,
John

struby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2007, 08:42:05 pm
« Reply #1336 on: March 08, 2006, 07:43:53 pm »
How and where should I order this from to avoid any tax/customs/shipping problems?  Thanks.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #1337 on: March 08, 2006, 08:26:04 pm »
It's kind of hard to answer that question without knowing where you are.

In the USA, play-asia.com and Lik-Sang are both pretty good.  I believe Play-Asia is slightly cheaper than Lik-Sang.  I don't think anyone in the US has been hit for taxes or customs.

In the UK and EU it seems that the extra charges are somewhat random.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

struby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1338 on: March 08, 2006, 08:29:14 pm »
Sorry, I am in the US, PA more specifically, and congrats on having the 1337th post in this thread.  Thanks, what is delivery time roughly?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:32:48 pm by struby »

daveg2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2009, 08:55:51 pm
  • PSP? Yeah right. GP2X Baby! This thing is awesome
    • www.davegrams.com
« Reply #1339 on: March 08, 2006, 08:49:41 pm »
How and where should I order this from to avoid any tax/customs/shipping problems?  Thanks.
I've ordered from both of these places before and have had no problem.
...so I will ask you... "Deal, or No Deal?"

PhoneGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 01:34:56 pm
  • Crazy
« Reply #1340 on: March 08, 2006, 10:10:46 pm »
Is there a way to get the EMS Driver v3.1 to "Start" automatically?

My cabinet boots and launches Mamewah.  I have to exit Mamewah, click on gun2mouse which is running in system the tray (but is in test mode), press the start button then restart Mamewah. 

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1341 on: March 09, 2006, 09:30:41 am »
Still working on some bugs in control panel ... I did not have much time in past weeks. I can already tell you that I don't know how to fix the "save settings" since on my configuration it seems the gun does not like to be restarted, so the only solution is to unplug/replug the usb cable when you changes your settings. I am sure this is not a big issue for lcd guns if the answer to my next question is positive: So now we agree that the lcd gun's software calibration leads ALWAYS to the same results ?

If we knew what all the settings are in the INI file we wouldn't really need to use the GUI to modify the settings. Also, if the tab sequence was more logical and worked properly we could use the keyboard for more effective navigation.

Just my 2 cents,
John

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1342 on: March 09, 2006, 10:20:24 am »

My cabinet boots and launches Mamewah.  I have to exit Mamewah, click on gun2mouse which is running in system the tray (but is in test mode), press the start button then restart Mamewah. 

Me too!

Any ideas anyone ???

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1343 on: March 09, 2006, 11:22:44 am »
Also, how will this driver and configuration work with the upcoming changes in Mame?

As it currently stands the EMS driver will not work with the upcoming rawinput additions to mame. A device must be recognised as a mouse/HID-input device for this, which the EMS driver does not. I believe that EMS have been informed about this as they are keen to get dual guns working in their driver.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1344 on: March 09, 2006, 11:26:11 am »

Assuming you are using Mamewah as your shell (and hence not running explorer, so Startup group will not work) I think you can run programs at startup by placing them in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Its where lots of installed trayicons put themselves to run (it seems no programmers trust the startup group).

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1345 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:18 pm »
Mame 104u5 out with support for rawdevices. I think it should already work with my driver if you configure mame to read mouses and not lightguns (I don't know if it really already handles multiple devices though). Anyone can test it ?

If we knew what all the settings are in the INI file we wouldn't really need to use the GUI to modify the settings. Also, if the tab sequence was more logical and worked properly we could use the keyboard for more effective navigation.

Ini file really does not help because it is used from the GUI to feed the appropriate values into the registry.So if you can't use the GUI .ini file is useless. You should change values directly in the driver entry in the windows registry. I can publish a complete list  if it is useful. However the parameters names should be clear enough to understand them. To quick find the place in the registry try to search for "RightEdge", you will probably find more than one value depending from how many USBs port you installed the driver on.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 02:18:04 pm by Smog »

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1346 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:39 pm »
Mame 104u5 out with support for rawdevices. I think it should already work with my driver if you configure mame to read mouses and not lightguns (I don't know if it really already handles multiple devices though). Anyone can test it ?

Ini file really does not help because it is used from the GUI to feed the appropriate values into the registry.So if you can't use the GUI .ini file is useless. You should change values directly in the driver entry in the windows registry. I can publish a complete list  if it is useful. However the parameters names should be clear enough to understand them. To quick find the place in the registry try to search for "RightEdge", you will probably find more than one value depending from how many USBs port you installed the driver on.

If the driver is "in development" it is probably time better-spent to work on the driver.

Keep up the effort,
John

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1347 on: March 09, 2006, 03:15:45 pm »
.104u5 is out and here is the readme sniplet:

Updated windows input code: [Derrick Renaud]
 * Now using RAWMOUSE mode if available. This means you can now use
    multiple mice in Windows XP. Lightgun support has not been
    changed yet.
 * Added back DX7 support for the windows input system to support
    multiple mice. It was set to DX5 in 104u2.
 * Removed the system mouse from the list of available mice on
    non-XP systems. This allows you to now properly select the
    individual mouse.
 * Modified the Analog Axes selection of the player controls to be
    more responsive.

Work is being done,
John

PhoneGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 01:34:56 pm
  • Crazy
« Reply #1348 on: March 09, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »

Assuming you are using Mamewah as your shell (and hence not running explorer, so Startup group will not work) I think you can run programs at startup by placing them in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Its where lots of installed trayicons put themselves to run (it seems no programmers trust the startup group).

Mamewah is not my shell. Mamewah launches from the startup group. Gun2mouse is already launching at boot and running in the systray.  However until you maximize it and press the start button within the app the gun is not enabled. Gun2mouse says it's in test mode until you press start.

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2018, 11:06:19 am
« Reply #1349 on: March 09, 2006, 08:08:51 pm »

Lightguns provide absolute data, not relative data.  As stated multiple lightguns are not yet supported.  The lightgun code has not changed.

It will get worse before it gets better.  I have been trying to find a clean way to add XP support to the current lightgun code.  But have decided that I will strip out the current lightgun code and start from scratch.

So my next update will support lightguns less.    ::)

But it will be for the better when I am done.  Can you say "3+ guns?"

The goal is to allow lightguns to behave like an analog joystick.  They are both absolute devices.  We already convert relative input devices to absolute data.  And Absolute data to relative (which does not, and can not, ever work real well.)  So the lightgun will not be treated any different.

And of course XP now handles multiple (relative) mice, sheesh!  ;)

By the way, is your driver supposed to be able to work on Win98SE-DX7?

D.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #1350 on: March 09, 2006, 08:27:37 pm »
Beyond SWEET! 

I would LOVE to be able to use my guns for games like StarWars and such. 

Anything we can do to help?

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1351 on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:09 pm »
.104u5 is out and here is the readme sniplet:

Updated windows input code: [Derrick Renaud]
 * Now using RAWMOUSE mode if available. This means you can now use
    multiple mice in Windows XP. Lightgun support has not been
    changed yet.

Just to set the record straight...

Jake Stookey was supposed to get co-credit on this part, because I based the code on his raw_mouse.c code.  I feel bad that it was not.  And the readme should be fixed for next version.

D.

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1352 on: March 09, 2006, 08:44:42 pm »
I would LOVE to be able to use my guns for games like StarWars and such. 

Don't know if it would work well,  but what the hey.

Anything we can do to help?

As always, send beer.   ;D

D.

cobey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2006, 12:08:06 pm
« Reply #1353 on: March 09, 2006, 09:12:58 pm »
beer? now you are talking my language.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #1354 on: March 09, 2006, 09:50:37 pm »
I'm more of a whiskey man, myself...but I wouldn't want to impair your coding too much...so I'll send beer :)

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1355 on: March 10, 2006, 05:19:13 am »
Lightguns provide absolute data, not relative data.  As stated multiple lightguns are not yet supported.  The lightgun code has not changed

As I've always said I don't know much of MAME source but I guees it is hard to implement the USAGE of absolute coordintaes, since for the READING it is quite the same from raw data structures ... hoipe you can illuminate me on this.

Can you say "3+ guns?"
What do you mean ? Was it a wuestion for me?

By the way, is your driver supposed to be able to work on Win98SE-DX7?

it DOES work on win98 SE .. there are some configuration issues but the driver works fine. However my driver knows nothing of directX. It is just an HID compliant mouse driver, whatever method is used from the upper layer in the OS to read data from it is not relevant from driver point of view.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:35:14 am by Smog »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1356 on: March 10, 2006, 07:19:22 am »
RE NES lightguns - someone was asking about FCE and the Topgun lightguns a while back....

The lightguns work in FCE, at least in windowed mode, but as soon as you switch to fullscreen, we get an offset similar to the offset issues we had in some mame games until we corrected the lightguns input port's initial co-ordinates to be 'centre-of-the screen'.

I've been communicating with the author of FCEU SP (it seems the original FCE authors are not around for communication) who has also spoken to the Nintendulator authors, but the issue has not been resolved (they can't think of anything causing it, but also can not reproduce the error because they don't have lightguns - it works ok with mice.) Also the lightgun code in FCE and its variants has apparantly not been touched since it was originally written and that author as mentioned is not around...

I've tried going through the FCEU code and reading up on SDL libarys (FCEU uses SDL for its input/gfx interfaces) but can't see anything obvious causing the shift in full screen, not that it means much(!). The SDL call to retrieve the mouse co-ordinates is pretty basic so its possible the issue is in how SDL is getting the mouse co-ords in the first place when in fullscreen (ie the SDL library).

Is anyone here familar with SDL and/or C and willing to take a look? The FCEU source is available here:

http://www.zophar.net/nes.html (look at 0.98.12 code)

You can search for GetMouseData to see some of the SDL calls. (input.c and sdl.c etc...)

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1357 on: March 10, 2006, 09:22:44 am »
they don't seem to use sdl under win32 environment. Try to investigate windows.c / input.c in the drivers/win directory.
They seem to use standard windows messaging system and it looks all right in the reading process.You have to see what they do with the data after that (take a look at input.c).

*EDIT: I Removed the exe since it did not work*
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:16:08 am by Smog »

struby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1358 on: March 10, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »
I just received 2 of these, I have read many posts on this, and I just don't know where to begin, I couldn't get it to work well on my xbox with House of the Dead 3, so here I am on PC, my computer won't even recognize it, I am using a dell with windows xp, I just don't know what to do, I am leaving for a day or two in a few hours, but when I get back I would like to get these working, thanks.

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1359 on: March 10, 2006, 02:47:18 pm »
Follow the instructions on Silver's website. THey are pretty clear and should get you going. Or we can just come over and do it for you. That way you will learn nothing and ask the same questions next time. Seriously, just jump in and try. There are many resources listed in this thread. Take a stab at it. It's like anything else, you learn more by doing it. Just like any USB device, plus it in, point to the drivers and go. Then calibrate in Windows, calibrate in the drivers utility and set you mame.ini file correctly. THere I ended up answering the question anyways. I guess I am not such a bad guy after all.

:D
John