Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 408028 times)

MacroX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2007, 11:27:30 pm
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #1040 on: February 15, 2006, 03:55:21 am »
this link will be more usefull for you !!  :police:
http://www.silverfoxy.f2s.com/Topgun.html

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3798&lsaid=219793

good tutorial on how to setup the guns... they used two led stands to get two plyrs to work

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #1041 on: February 15, 2006, 04:24:49 am »
call me curious guys, but could I see some piccys of your mounting solutions for both the gun and the led stands on your cab?

Im at a stage where im happy with the gun and how it operates, I just have to set up my mame gun games tonight (only done PC so far).

Also, I have noticed games like HOTD 1 and VIRTUA COP/SQUAD 1 & 2 are a pain in the ass to set up for a cab - how have you mapped your controls to launch/navigate these games from a front end?

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1042 on: February 15, 2006, 04:35:10 am »
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3798&lsaid=219793

good tutorial on how to setup the guns... they used two led stands to get two plyrs to work

curious... this review specifically mentions that Duck Hunt was sucessfully tested in the PC sessions using FCE Ultra.

I thought we all tried FCE Ultra and found a offset problem when playing at full screen. Yet this site shows pictures of someone playing the game sucessfully at full screen.

Can anyone help here? IS there a way to get these guns working on FCE Ultra?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1043 on: February 15, 2006, 05:45:10 am »
When I tested Duck Hunt it worked fine in a (fully maximised) window. Only when switching to its own fullscreen mode did the offset get introduced.

The pic on that website shows fullscreen usage, so I would try emailing him/them to check what settings they used.

There may be FCE ultra settings/graphics settings which will rectify it.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1044 on: February 15, 2006, 05:50:26 am »
When I tested Duck Hunt it worked fine in a (fully maximised) window. Only when switching to its own fullscreen mode did the offset get introduced.

The pic on that website shows fullscreen usage, so I would try emailing him/them to check what settings they used.

There may be FCE ultra settings/graphics settings which will rectify it.

nah, I exhausted every graphics setting.
and its not pracical using a fully maximised window on a cab.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #1045 on: February 15, 2006, 06:35:44 am »

YUP!  That's exaclty the result I got with it as well.

I'm a little confused as to why it's not practical in a cab to run it at full screen though ?? can you enlighten me on that one Darth??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1046 on: February 15, 2006, 06:37:09 am »

YUP!  That's exaclty the result I got with it as well.

I'm a little confused as to why it's not practical in a cab to run it at full screen though ?? can you enlighten me on that one Darth??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Not full screen, but in a maxmised window. I dont want my cab showing the window bar, nor showing any evidence that windows is operating it.
I prefer full screen game launches.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1047 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:33 am »
OK! I understand now.... I can agree with you on that one.

BTW Did the, running a batch file thing, solve your problem from yesterday. If it didn't work out, did you notice the posts on AutoHotkey... That might work for you especially as you can turn the scripts into executable .exe files. I just tried it with MadDog Mcree and it's a bloody brilliant idea.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1048 on: February 15, 2006, 06:43:45 am »
OK! I understand now.... I can agree with you on that one.

BTW Did the, running a batch file thing, solve your problem from yesterday. If it didn't work out, did you notice the posts on AutoHotkey... That might work for you especially as you can turn the scripts int executable .exe files. I just tried it with MadDog Mcree and it's a bloody brilliant idea.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

yep batch file worked fine.
That script posted here for maddog also worked perfectly, and yes I turned it into a exe.

Only problem im having now is setting virtua cop 1 & 2 and hotd 1 up in a cabinet friend way in terms of controls.
Im curious, if you have any of these games, how have you mapped the buttons to your control panel.
Could use ppjoykey, however troubleshooter requires players 1 & 2 input to ALWAYS be keyboard only..

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1049 on: February 15, 2006, 06:46:19 am »
You could use AutoHotkey again, to re-map it.... That should work.  I must say I haven't tried it yet, but there's no reason it shouldn't solve that problem.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1050 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:14 am »
You could use AutoHotkey again, to re-map it.... That should work.  I must say I haven't tried it yet, but there's no reason it shouldn't solve that problem.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Doh! Why didnt I think of that!

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1051 on: February 15, 2006, 06:53:24 am »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Probably because i've still got your box, and I'm doing the thinking outside of it... I'll return it when I get finished  :laugh:  That is if my GF doesn't grab it first for packing something else..  :-X OUCH!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:00:14 am by Fozzy The Bear »

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1052 on: February 15, 2006, 06:59:23 am »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Probaly because i've still got your box, and I'm doing the thinking outside of it... I'll return it when I get finished  :laugh:

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

LOL.

These PC games are taking me an age to set up - I hope the MAME ones dont give me much hassle..

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #1053 on: February 15, 2006, 07:03:17 am »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Yes, I have Autohotkey scripts for HOD1, HOD2 and HOD3.

In HOD1,  you can move the mouse cursor with the cursor key of the keyboard or with the pad of the TopGun if you map the keys.

**EDIT**
When I get home, i'll post my scripts for this 3 games.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1054 on: February 15, 2006, 07:09:56 am »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Yes, I have Autohotkey scripts for HOD1, HOD2 and HOD3.

In HOD1,  you can move the mouse cursor with the cursor key of the keyboard or with the pad of the TopGun if you map the keys.

**EDIT**
When I get home, i'll post my scripts for this 3 games.

this would be perfect if you could share this.

What did you map, player 1 start button to - the trigger or your cabs p1 button?

I only have ONE gun..

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2006, 03:34:34 am
  • Leave them to me. I will deal with them myself.
« Reply #1055 on: February 15, 2006, 08:51:45 am »
Had the gun delivered today & am already tearing my hair out.

Looking to use the one gun for MAME games only without recoil plugged in.

Have fitted LED stands correctly either side of arcade monitor.

Followed Silvers guide to setting up & can't get it working properly.

1. Have people had any problems in using the guns own calibration where it takes several clicks in the vicinity of the centre / top left / top right etc etc part of the screen before the laser blinks ??? Do you need to stand back a certain distance?

2. In Wingun I can get the gun to move the mouse cursor around but in a very ad hoc fashion. Laser does not match up with cursor and they move in the wrong direction ie aim to left cursor moves to right  ???

3. No joy with GunCon2 or EMS V3.0 drivers.

4. Will any of the above be affected with a USB mouse attached as well as LCDGun

Help!

Tibbs

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1056 on: February 15, 2006, 08:56:40 am »
1. Have people had any problems in using the guns own calibration where it takes several clicks in the vicinity of the centre / top left / top right etc etc part of the screen before the laser blinks ??? Do you need to stand back a certain distance?

2. In Wingun I can get the gun to move the mouse cursor around but in a very ad hoc fashion. Laser does not match up with cursor and they move in the wrong direction ie aim to left cursor moves to right  ???

1) Yep this is normal. Step back a bit, ensure any light/reflections behind you are eliminated. Keep on trying until it registers the shot.

2) You have to repeat the edge caliberation until its near perfect. If its just so slightly off, turn the alignment wheel on your gun. Ignore the first stage of autocaliberation (rolling x axis) - Its stage 2 thats important. Keep repeating carefully along the red lines.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1057 on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:56 am »

1) Yep this is normal. Step back a bit, ensure any light/reflections behind you are eliminated. Keep on trying until it registers the shot.

2) You have to repeat the edge caliberation until its near perfect. If its just so slightly off, turn the alignment wheel on your gun. Ignore the first stage of autocaliberation (rolling x axis) - Its stage 2 thats important. Keep repeating carefully along the red lines.

Oh, by the way - when you shoot at the corners of the screen in Hardware caliberation, I found that I had to shoot a tad OUTSIDE of the screen corners to get good caliberation. Im not sure why, but things seem to be okay at present.

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1058 on: February 15, 2006, 09:15:46 am »
Cheers for the advice

Its stage 2 thats important. Keep repeating carefully along the red lines.

Does this mean you track up and down the red lines at either side of the screen or do you track slowly between them trying to maintain a straight line???

Tibbs

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1059 on: February 15, 2006, 09:19:10 am »
Cheers for the advice

Its stage 2 thats important. Keep repeating carefully along the red lines.

Does this mean you track up and down the red lines at either side of the screen or do you track slowly between them trying to maintain a straight line???

Tibbs

No, 'between the lines' is stage 1
' along the edges' is stage 2, track along them carefully to make a complete square. repeat this as many times as it takes before pressing start to move onto the next stage

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2006, 06:54:04 pm
  • Proud ownder of an LCD TopGun
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1060 on: February 15, 2006, 09:20:05 am »
@darthbane2k
I would be interested in those Autohotkey scripts for using with HOTD1, and Virtua Cop 1 and 2, I have no knowledge of Autohotkey or Autoit.

Also, has anyone managed to figure out the problem with the trigger button not registering while playing games on the ePSXe emulation with the troubleshooter? I'm going to try Point Blank 1 and 2 now and see if the problem persists, was wondering if anyone figured it out by now.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1061 on: February 15, 2006, 09:30:54 am »
@darthbane2k
I would be interested in those Autohotkey scripts for using with HOTD1, and Virtua Cop 1 and 2, I have no knowledge of Autohotkey or Autoit.

Also, has anyone managed to figure out the problem with the trigger button not registering while playing games on the ePSXe emulation with the troubleshooter? I'm going to try Point Blank 1 and 2 now and see if the problem persists, was wondering if anyone figured it out by now.

even in virtua cop 1 / 2 and HOTD - the troubleshooter delays the trigger at times..

old_computers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2006, 03:38:24 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1062 on: February 15, 2006, 09:32:03 am »
Tell me what happens after that. I repeat that you must keep the LightGun connected BEFORE installing WINGUN. (Wingun will search for it during installation)

I'm back... :-)

It seems to work now, but I don't know exactly why...
Last week, after posting my messages, I tested everything with the Wingun drivers, calibration orders, pluggin / unplugging usb gun, with or without USB hub, etc...

And finally it worked...
I managed to play games under Mame and Nestopia
By the way, Duck Hunt (and other NES light gun games) seems to work under Nestopia...

Then, 2 days later, the whole set up stopped working, experiencing strange behaviour (red laser dot not flashing at all when pointing LEDs and starting calibration for example)

... and I got it work again now.

So to anyone having these kind of problems, just keep trying by changing the order you are making the whole process, and try several times (unplug/plug the gun, hardware calibration, wingun calibration) 'till the mouse cursor is moving with the gun.

Has anyone succeeded in making SNES games work ?
I tried Yoshi Safari with ZNESW, and the cursor is only moving on the four edges...

Here is an interesting lightgun games list on Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_gun_games
which is nice reference to test them with emulators.

Is there a similar list for PC games somewhere ?

________

Olivier Boisseau
www.old-computers.com

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1063 on: February 15, 2006, 09:37:23 am »
Tell me what happens after that. I repeat that you must keep the LightGun connected BEFORE installing WINGUN. (Wingun will search for it during installation)

I'm back... :-)

It seems to work now, but I don't know exactly why...
Last week, after posting my messages, I tested everything with the Wingun drivers, calibration orders, pluggin / unplugging usb gun, with or without USB hub, etc...

And finally it worked...
I managed to play games under Mame and Nestopia
By the way, Duck Hunt (and other NES light gun games) seems to work under Nestopia...

Then, 2 days later, the whole set up stopped working, experiencing strange behaviour (red laser dot not flashing at all when pointing LEDs and starting calibration for example)

... and I got it work again now.

So to anyone having these kind of problems, just keep trying by changing the order you are making the whole process, and try several times (unplug/plug the gun, hardware calibration, wingun calibration) 'till the mouse cursor is moving with the gun.

Has anyone succeeded in making SNES games work ?
I tried Yoshi Safari with ZNESW, and the cursor is only moving on the four edges...

Here is an interesting lightgun games list on Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_light_gun_games
which is nice reference to test them with emulators.

Is there a similar list for PC games somewhere ?

________

Olivier Boisseau
www.old-computers.com

Did you enable recoil? - Sounds like your problem.

Nestopia? - does this enable you to map the escape key to exit the emu, for cabinet purposes?

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #1064 on: February 15, 2006, 10:05:54 am »
AutoHotKey is new to me, but I see that you can run and or import AutoIt V2 scripts.

I have been using AutoIt V3, so I'll have to see if there is anything the AHK does the AI3 does not.

Otherwise that script is basically the same idea as I would have done in AI3.  I would have set it up to use a commandline parameter for the executable so that it was generic instaed of having different scripts for each game.
From what I can tell, AutoHotKey replaced AutoIt (both designed by the same company).
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1065 on: February 15, 2006, 10:46:49 am »
Success at last courtesy of all the great advice in this thread.

Now have MAME games working fantastically.

One unfortunate thing is I took off my smoked glass to fit the LED stands next to the monitor & to calibrate & test the games.

Now with the smoked glass back on there is no crosshair in the games. Probably due to the gun not seeing the LED stands as well????

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1066 on: February 15, 2006, 10:48:27 am »

One unfortunate thing is I took off my smoked glass to fit the LED stands next to the monitor & to calibrate & test the games.

Now with the smoked glass back on there is no crosshair in the games. Probably due to the gun not seeing the LED stands as well????

yup. its your bezel design thats blocking the leds.
Just mount the stands externally. As they are black it will look neat. Thats what I did anyway.

How have you mounted your gun to a cab... a hook? got a closer pic..im fresh outta ideas
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:50:32 am by darthbane2k »

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #1067 on: February 15, 2006, 11:05:13 am »

Your Bezel is covering the LED's.  You have two options, mount the stands externally as mentioned, or cut holes in your bezel so that the LED's can be seen.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1068 on: February 15, 2006, 11:17:29 am »
Thanks for the advice on the bezel. Need to think about that one.

The gun is just sitting in a stick on mouse holder I was using for a wireless mouse while I set the cab up. It's actually just a little bit too small for the gun but one a bit bigger may be the answer

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #1069 on: February 15, 2006, 11:17:47 am »

yup. its your bezel design thats blocking the leds.
Just mount the stands externally. As they are black it will look neat. Thats what I did anyway.

How have you mounted your gun to a cab... a hook? got a closer pic..im fresh outta ideas

Well I think the smoked glass is not the problem. It's the bezel that is blocking the LEDs. Can you try only with the Smoked glass? (without this picture with blue lines...)

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1070 on: February 15, 2006, 11:23:55 am »

Well I think the smoked glass is not the problem. It's the bezel that is blocking the LEDs. Can you try only with the Smoked glass? (without this picture with blue lines...)

If only it was that easy the blue bezel surround is part of the glass (stick on transfer or something) that can't be peeled away.

External fitting may have to be answer.

old_computers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2006, 03:38:24 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1071 on: February 15, 2006, 11:32:48 am »
Did you enable recoil? - Sounds like your problem.

No, I didn't use the recoil from the beginning...
I'm doing without
My 2 months girl is sleeping in the room next to the cab room and I don't want to wake her up with recoil sound :-)

Nestopia? - does this enable you to map the escape key to exit the emu, for cabinet purposes?

Hmmm, not sure...
But I'm using the fantastic IPAC 4 from Ultimarc, thus I can, among other things,  assign macros such as ALFT+F4 to my buttons, and thus choose whatever emulator I want to use.

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #1072 on: February 15, 2006, 11:38:06 am »
you don't have to scrap the blue bezel, just try mounting your stands above and below the screen, it looks like you might have enough room to mount all the leds within the actual screen.  yeah, you'll have to calibrate differently, but it'll work without getting new glass.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #1073 on: February 15, 2006, 11:59:14 am »
AutoHotKey is new to me, but I see that you can run and or import AutoIt V2 scripts.

I have been using AutoIt V3, so I'll have to see if there is anything the AHK does the AI3 does not.

Otherwise that script is basically the same idea as I would have done in AI3.  I would have set it up to use a commandline parameter for the executable so that it was generic instaed of having different scripts for each game.
From what I can tell, AutoHotKey replaced AutoIt (both designed by the same company).

I'm not sure where you get that they are the same company.

This thead from the AutoIt forum and this one from the AutoHotKey forum indicate that they are not the same company and not even very friendly.  It seems that AutoHotKey is based on the source code for AutoIt V2.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 01:53:26 pm by ErikRuud »
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

tibbs68

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1074 on: February 15, 2006, 12:36:27 pm »
you don't have to scrap the blue bezel, just try mounting your stands above and below the screen, it looks like you might have enough room to mount all the leds within the actual screen.  yeah, you'll have to calibrate differently, but it'll work without getting new glass.

Sounds a good plan so how would I set up with LED stands sitting across and below the screen as opposed to either side.

Which one on top & how to calibrate?

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #1075 on: February 15, 2006, 12:42:27 pm »
i don't remember, but read back through the thread, it comes up about three times.  i think silver is the one who always mentions it.

if you think of it logically, just imagined your monitor rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees.  and as for calibration, your new starting corner will be left one corner, and so on in that fashion.  get it?

panya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2006, 12:37:16 pm
« Reply #1076 on: February 15, 2006, 12:57:36 pm »
i don't remember, but read back through the thread, it comes up about three times.  i think silver is the one who always mentions it.

if you think of it logically, just imagined your monitor rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees.  and as for calibration, your new starting corner will be left one corner, and so on in that fashion.  get it?

strangely enough, I did it that way (the logical way) and it was wrong.  So I calibrated the exact same way as if the LED strips were on the sides... I put the left strip on the top, right on the bottom (so rotated clockwise 90 degrees), then started shooting clockwise from the top left corner (same as before).  Worked perfectly.  I'm guessing you can mount these strips in almost any fashion, as long as you; first shoot the proper LED cluster (top of the "left" strip), center of screen, then always top left corner of monitor, then going clockwise around the corners.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1077 on: February 15, 2006, 01:27:47 pm »

Sounds a good plan so how would I set up with LED stands sitting across and below the screen as opposed to either side.

Which one on top & how to calibrate?

you are better off mounting the stands externally on the walls of the cab. why you have to have them internally i cant figure out.. its going to give you no end of a  headache in terms of caliberation etc

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #1078 on: February 15, 2006, 01:38:14 pm »
I'm not sure where you get that they are the same company.

This thead from the AutoIt forum and this one from the AutoHotKey forum indicate that they are not the same company and not even very friendly.  It seems that AutoHotKey is based on the source code for AutoIt V2.
Second link doesn't work by the way.  It appears you are right, however.  I used AutoIt back in the V1 days I think and hadn't heard of AutoHotKey until HowardCasto started using it with Johnny5.  I think I went to AHK's site and saw it was based on AutoIt V2, so I ASSuME'd AutoIt just changed their name.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1079 on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:49 pm »
@OLD_COMPUTERS

I