Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 408003 times)

Cananas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #920 on: February 11, 2006, 02:19:36 pm »
Fozzy or Anybody:
Did you success to play with 2 Lightguns in your PC?? I Didn

JODY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:21:07 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
« Reply #921 on: February 11, 2006, 03:35:30 pm »
Problems with Wingun Auto Calibration?

If you're having issues with auto calibration in Wingun try blanking out the 4 edge calibration values prior to going into auto calibration mode.  My fully functional gun had issues with auto calibration if the values were not right (values left over from trying the bad gun).  By issues I mean the cursor staying on one side of the screen or in one area.

JODY

• Offline Offline
« Reply #922 on: February 11, 2006, 03:39:08 pm »
This really sucks, my Top Gun gave out and doesn't work at all now. the Cursor kept getting stuck on the left side of my computer screen and Laser pointer was always flickering on and off from the moment I set it up. So I hooked it up to my Playstation 2 and it worked some what for a while and then it gave out, no responce at all. Pull the trigger no recoil, no Laser pointer, no tracking at all. 

Lik-sangs return policy doesn't look to good, I might not be able to get an exchange. :'(   
I might have to buy another one (if I do it will be from Play-Asia) I just don't know if it would be worth it?

Same symptoms as my bad gun.  As long as you are far enough back the laser should stay on without flickering as you move it around the screen.  One of my guns flickers bad on the right hand side.  Also there is a dead spot in the middle of the screen.  I've tried both sets of stands on two computers and experience the same problem.  Have confirmed all stand lights work via a digital camera.  If you get a flickering laser the gun isn't registering and you'll have lost shots and possibly a cursor jumping around on the screen.  Once in awhile when I move down the gun moves to the right.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 03:41:11 pm by JODY »

Fat_Trucker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2010, 11:44:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #923 on: February 11, 2006, 06:02:54 pm »
Just double checking but there definitely aren't any light sources causing the interference?

I have mine set up with my cab, and it works a treat. Booted it the other day and experienced exactly the same problems as you with flickering and not registering in certain parts of the screen. It was a bright sunny day outside (although the room is fairly well shaded). Pulled the curtains and everything started working again. There wasn't any direct light affecting the screen but I'm guessing it was reflecting from somewhere and interfering with the LED's.
I didn't touch it....honest!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #924 on: February 11, 2006, 06:18:18 pm »

A quick tip for those trying to use the gun on the XBOX or something else where good calibration is a problem:

When doing a hardware calibration, shoot just above the left LED bar to start it (as someone else mentioned).  Then shoot outside the cornersof the screen, not at the corners.  You may need to experiment a bit to find out where exactly to aim, but you can get very good calibration once you figure out where to point.

Playing HOTD was literally a "night and day" difference after the gun was properly calibrated.

Now my only real peeve is the distance (well, assuming the PC stuff ever gets working well under 98SE)

RandyT

JODY

• Offline Offline
« Reply #925 on: February 11, 2006, 06:43:21 pm »
Speaking of distance....got my second gun working.  The first gun worked great with me standing at about 6 ft. away from my 17" monitor.  The second gun didn't.  I thought distance might be an issue and had tried the second gun a few feet further back but no go.  Had to move some stuff in my room and standing about 9 ft. away from the monitor the second gun works great.

Would be nice if they were consistant...

What distances is everyone else working at on a 17" or 19" monitor?  9 ft. seems a bit far.

Gh0sty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:04:06 pm
  • flying Mame Player
« Reply #926 on: February 11, 2006, 07:31:14 pm »
about Distance, the Guns (yes both) works good from aprox 6 - 6.5 feet
on my 37". And like RandyT said, its a bit tricky to calibrate this guns perfect.
Its just not plug & play :p
But if you get a good setup finaly, playing Zero point or Point blank
with 2 guns is alot fun !
ah yes, i use Wingun on my winXP.

R
Gh0sty

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #927 on: February 11, 2006, 07:45:56 pm »
What distances is everyone else working at on a 17" or 19" monitor?  9 ft. seems a bit far.

About 5 to 6 feet works fine on my 21" Monitor..

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
« Reply #928 on: February 11, 2006, 09:23:38 pm »
I sold mine today. These guns require WAY to much tinkering. Also, I think the technology is flawed. once you Do get it calibrated then get finished playing and then want to play again later, you will never be standing in the same spot as when u last calibrated it. So you have to do the whole dog and pony show again. The problem is the camera in the gun I think. This kind of gun, in my opinion, will never work. What we need is a true arcade type gun. Those guns never get calibrated and get beat up on by every kid that walks by, but they always work, dead on.

Just my two cents.

But thanks for all the help on here.

Mark

[quote mark6437 last message even suggested he sold back his guns...  :([/quote]

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #929 on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:15 pm »
I sold mine today. These guns require WAY to much tinkering.

No patience! 

They really only require tinkering right now. Once the drivers are sorted out they'll be as near to perfect as they're going to get. To be honest, the new EMS driver is almost there now.

As for saying that they require re-calibrating if you change position, I'm not finding that to be the case at all, now that I'm running the EMS driver on Win98se. The driver itself requires no calibration at all. Only the hardware calibration has to be done and that gets permanently stored by the gun.  In game (unless it's using the mouse pointer) you'd have to calibrate, no matter what gun you were using.

The only change I'm finding if you move position is an adjustment of the Laser and that would be the same for any gun, even a real one at different distances. The pointer is still tracking perfectly even when you change distance from the screen.

Your point about arcade guns is not correct.... I work with them all the time. They really are not that accurate and have to be calibrated whenever you power the machine up.  You're also restricted as to where you can stand with them in an arcade, by the machine itself and by the length of allowed cable.   Your point that you want arcade guns doesn't make much sense. House Of The Dead 3 uses exactly, and I do mean exactly, the same technology as the LED Guns you just sold, and very reliable it is too.

I think you've given up on these way too soon, they've only been on sale for about four weeks or so.

It's a pitty that you couldn't wait until the drivers got finally sorted out, but at the end of the day it's your personal choice, and if you don't like them I suppose there's not much point in you keeping them. Good luck with whatever guns you deside to use.

Best Regards
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:48:21 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

element51

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2006, 05:02:12 am
« Reply #930 on: February 11, 2006, 11:02:57 pm »
 I think arcade guns work better. I would much rather get some of them to work on my mame box

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #931 on: February 11, 2006, 11:13:48 pm »
I think arcade guns work better. I would much rather get some of them to work on my mame box

If that was technically possible then no doubt that is what most of us would do. But it's very very difficult to interface a real arcade gun to a PC and get it to work. I won't say it's impossible, it'd just be damned expensive and difficult.

While it's very true that arcade guns are tougher... they have to be, given the environment they're in. They also cost upwards of $300 each as replacement parts...

It's a case of horses for courses.. When you pay ten times as much for an item of hardware, of course it's going to be built that bit tougher. The LED guns are designed for a domestic environment not a real arcade one.

But real arcade guns don't work any better or any more accurately. Trust me on this one, I work with real arcade guns almost every day. The issue here causing the problems is the drivers (which are being sorted out) not the actual hardware which as far as I can see is damned good for the money.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:21:23 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

MacroX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2007, 11:27:30 pm
« Reply #932 on: February 12, 2006, 12:23:34 am »
Long long years later, you maybe can get this type of the gun,   ;D

MacroX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2007, 11:27:30 pm
« Reply #933 on: February 12, 2006, 12:51:14 am »
i guess that it is because the focus problems, each ems topgun focus have a tiny different, but i try lcd topgun before,  i can leave the led stands between 2~2.5 meter with  the tv size between 14 and 29 inch.

it is more important events, and  must be keep attection, as like:
1) the direction of the Led from stand.
2) the reflection from the object(e.g. glass, keys, high reflect objects place beside the led stand )
3) the backgroud light(the windows or door behind the tv or led stands)
4) each calibration positon will be effect the accurate, try few time and compare their accuracy, that let's you to know the suitable position.
5) turn off the lightgun recoil function~

Speaking of distance....got my second gun working.  The first gun worked great with me standing at about 6 ft. away from my 17" monitor.  The second gun didn't.  I thought distance might be an issue and had tried the second gun a few feet further back but no go.  Had to move some stuff in my room and standing about 9 ft. away from the monitor the second gun works great.

Would be nice if they were consistant...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:57:17 am by MacroX »

vibez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2011, 08:33:20 am
« Reply #934 on: February 12, 2006, 04:00:54 am »
@VIBEZ
We were you??? Welcome back to home!!!!!

Hey, this Lightguns are Superb.
IMHO They are far better than a SCORPION 3, NAMCO GUNCON2, and Mad Catz Blaster. and I
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 05:11:49 am by vibez »

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #935 on: February 12, 2006, 06:46:52 am »
3) Calibration. As my cab is using an arcade monitor. I cannot run any frontend at 640x480 because the arcadevga interlaces the display and causes the screen to flicker and makes text hard to read. So I run my cab at a much lower res for the frontend and then run games at a higher res. This switching of res could cause problems with calibration from what I have read.

No that's not correct at all.... Changing resolution has absolutely no effect at all on the calibration.

The other things you say would clearly be a problem for you though, especially given your limited space. The guns need at the very least, 5 feet to work because they have to be able to see all of the LED's on the two stands.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fat_Trucker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2010, 11:44:22 am
« Reply #936 on: February 12, 2006, 07:01:14 am »
Mines running on a cab with 25" screen. I have the led stands stuck either side of the bezel so in all they are around 24" apart, in terms of height, the stands are positioned so the top LED is an inch or so above center when I'm aiming the gun straight ahead and mine work perfectly fine from 6ft.
I didn't touch it....honest!

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #937 on: February 12, 2006, 10:35:19 am »
I have a problem.

I finally got my gun in a working state that im satisified with. however i have only tested with pc games mad dog mccree and hotd2.
I tried FCEUltra and installed a power shot? gun device in its virtual port settings (for some reason I could not put a zapper). there is no caliberation settings in fce ultra and when i ran a game, the mouse pointer was way off - probably due to resolution being different.
I am using a pc monitor - I thought res changes made no different in the accuracy of the gun.
Please help. im unsure what to do.

JODY

• Offline Offline
« Reply #938 on: February 12, 2006, 12:21:13 pm »
I have a problem.

I finally got my gun in a working state that im satisified with. however i have only tested with pc games mad dog mccree and hotd2.
I tried FCEUltra and installed a power shot? gun device in its virtual port settings (for some reason I could not put a zapper). there is no caliberation settings in fce ultra and when i ran a game, the mouse pointer was way off - probably due to resolution being different.
I am using a pc monitor - I thought res changes made no different in the accuracy of the gun.
Please help. im unsure what to do.

Resolution makes a difference on my monitor but not the way you might think.  If I change from 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600 the gun is still dead on.  I move the gun to the far left of the screen and the cursor is on the far left of the desktop displayed on the monitor.  Same for the right, top, and bottom.  The problem is the desktop on the monitor doesn't go to the far left and right of the screen unless I were to change the settings on the monitor to expand the image left and right.  Thus the gun is still OK but the image on the monitor is not.  Thus if I were to aim to the far left of the image on the monitor the cursor is off.  Would not be playable without adjusting the monitor itself.

If you had a monitor that had separate settings per resolution so the image always takes up the whole screen things would be fine.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:23:47 pm by JODY »

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #939 on: February 12, 2006, 01:27:19 pm »
I tried FCEUltra and installed a power shot? gun device in its virtual port settings (for some reason I could not put a zapper).

I don't know FCEUltra very well.... But does it have an option to use a mouse as the input device. If it does then you should not put "gun device" in the virtual port. There should be some way to configure the software for mouse input from the PC. I strongly suspect that putting "gun device" is what 's confusing it.

Can you actually play the game that you have running by using your PC mouse?? Can you aim and fire with your mouse??  If, even after configuring the game, it does not take mouse input for controling the Emulated cursor then you are probably unlikely to get the gun working properly with it.

Somebody else said that it doesn't run full screen, but in a window leaving a gap at one side?? If that's correct, then that would also throw the calibration way out, as the gun will be tracking to the full size of your monitor screen not to the window.  You could try recalibrating the gun and pointing at the centre and corners of the window the game is running in...

Try running it full screen if possible and not in a window.

Check the configuration for FCEUltra and see if you can set screen resolution somewhere.... You may be able to set screen resolution of the rendered image to, say 800X600 even though the virtual machine resolution is only very low. In much the same way as we can run low res games in mame on a high res full screen monitor.

Just some things to try that might give you a clue as to what's happening....

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 02:04:44 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #940 on: February 12, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »
I tried FCEUltra and installed a power shot? gun device in its virtual port settings (for some reason I could not put a zapper).

I don't know FCEUltra very well.... But does it have an option to use a mouse as the input device. If it does then you should not put "gun device" in the virtual port. There should be some way to configure the software for mouse input from the PC. I strongly suspect that putting "gun device" is what 's confusing it.

Can you actually play the game that you have running by using your PC mouse?? Can you aim and fire with your mouse??  If, even after configuring the game, it does not take mouse input for controling the Emulated cursor then you are probably unlikely to get the gun working properly with it.

Somebody else said that it doesn't run full screen, but in a window leaving a gap at one side?? If that's correct, then that would also throw the calibration way out, as the gun will be tracking to the full size of your monitor screen not to the window.

Try running it full screen and not in a window.

Check the configuration for FCEUltra and see if you can set screen resolution somewhere.... You may be able to set screen resolution of the rendered image to, say 800X600 even though the virtual machine resolution is only very low. In much the same way as we can run low res games in mame on a high res full screen monitor.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
it has no such option. The config file isnt even editable via notepad.
The configure option box that sits along the input type is greyed out when zapper or hyper shot gun is selected

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #941 on: February 12, 2006, 02:06:41 pm »

Somebody else said that it doesn't run full screen, but in a window leaving a gap at one side?? If that's correct, then that would also throw the calibration way out, as the gun will be tracking to the full size of your monitor screen not to the window.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
The configure option box that sits along the input type is greyed out when zapper or hyper shot gun is selected

OK... Lets take it one step at a time..... Can you play this game using your mouse to steer the cursor??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Acorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2006, 03:04:58 pm
  • Lightguns!
    • WinGun Driver
« Reply #942 on: February 12, 2006, 02:11:02 pm »
*Wonders in two weeks late*

Still reading through the thread, looks like this scene really came alive again in the past couple of weeks!

I'm currently too broke to buy two of these guns, but will hopefully get them and down to testing sometime in the next month or so. You wouldn't believe how impressed I am that they went with the "open" Guncon2 standard. Very good for them, and from what I read the gun hardware is quite stable as well.

Will post more later, just wanted to drop by and say hi/wow/etc :)
Get WinGun (Guncon 2 PC USB Driver) at http://www.guncon2driver.com

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #943 on: February 12, 2006, 02:12:32 pm »
now i have problems with recoil.
At first I was using a USB hub that was mains powered. I plugged the gun, led stands and whenever recoil is plugged in, the gun craps out.
When I plug a seperate mains adaptor into the gun instead of usb to power the recoil, it does the SAME THING, craps out..
what in the hell is going wrong, as I dont want to play without recoil

ANOTHER problem is that I have MAMEWAH as my shell - so wingun does not load on startup. Even when I put wingun on my startup folder , nothing. Only way I can get it to work is to exit mamewah and run explorer which starts up wingun

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #944 on: February 12, 2006, 02:15:25 pm »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

OK... Lets take it one step at a time..... Can you play this game using your mouse to steer the cursor??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

yup I can

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #945 on: February 12, 2006, 02:19:05 pm »

Yes... I've had this as well.... I found that you have to unplug the gun, plug it back in again and reboot with it plugged in, it's some kind of firmware lockup....

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2006, 06:54:04 pm
  • Proud ownder of an LCD TopGun
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #946 on: February 12, 2006, 02:23:35 pm »
My gun is still not here  :'(

It was shipped on 03, Feb. 2006 according to my account at Play-Asia using Air Economy, it's almost 10 days now, I was wondering how long it took for everyone else who ordered using the Air Economy method.

While I wait, I have some questions to the honorable panel  ;)

1. I've read that some people who ordered two gun have reported that one of their guns is not working, some even returned them, since I'm getting only one gun I fear I might be in for a disappointment after all the wait, has it been your experience that guns that you thought were defective turned out to be ok and the problem was with the drivers\setup etc... I'm asking this because I was almost one of the first adopters of the now-dead Zodiac portable gaming system, I say almost because reports on the forums from a great number of people that said the analog controller was defective have convinced me to pass it and buy a GBA instead, I'm hoping this won't be the case here.

2. I understand the vibration in the gun is pretty annoying and makes a plastic click sounds, I was wondering whether the same was true for the trigger, the vibration is a cool option but I can give it a miss, but as for the trigger...

3. Sort of off-topic, but I've noticed that there is a rather small selection of commercial gun games for the PC, I was wondering if anyone heared of any intention by any game company to revive the genre and create some new gun games that may benefit from the latest PC technology.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

PS: I would love to see some video reviews from some of you guys, I bet it would be very helpful to actually see a video explaining installation procedures, distance considerations, and ofcourse some zombie shooting action.  ;D

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #947 on: February 12, 2006, 02:24:25 pm »
yup I can

OK.... That's a good start...  Next thing to ask here is can you run this emulator full screen and not in a window??

Do you have the gun option selected in the software when you are playing it with your mouse??. If you don't then you don't need it when playing with the lightgun either. Try turning it off.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #948 on: February 12, 2006, 02:31:49 pm »
yup I can

OK.... That's a good start...  Next thing to ask here is can you run this emulator full screen and not in a window??

Do you have the gun option selected in the software when you are playing it with your mouse??. If you don't then you don't need it when playing with the lightgun either. Try turning it off.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

yes the emu is always launched full screen

the software simply  allows you to select nes device, conroller, zapper etc
when a nes gun device (either zapper or hyper shot gun) is selected, you get the mouse cursor in the game

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #949 on: February 12, 2006, 02:35:34 pm »
yup I can

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

when a nes gun device (either zapper or hyper shot gun) is selected, you get the mouse cursor in the game

OK give me an hour or so to have a think about this one..... I'll be back later, I'll help solve it if I can.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #950 on: February 12, 2006, 02:38:58 pm »

Yes... I've had this as well.... I found that you have to unplug the gun, plug it back in again and reboot with it plugged in, it's some kind of firmware lockup....

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

i did this and restarted, the gun tracked okay and the second i tested by pulling the trigger, it recoiled then froze up. i can no longer track the mouse and pulling the trigger does nothing

panya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2006, 12:37:16 pm
« Reply #951 on: February 12, 2006, 02:46:28 pm »

1. I've read that some people who ordered two gun have reported that one of their guns is not working, some even returned them, since I'm getting only one gun I fear I might be in for a disappointment after all the wait, has it been your experience that guns that you thought were defective turned out to be ok and the problem was with the drivers\setup etc... I'm asking this because I was almost one of the first adopters of the now-dead Zodiac portable gaming system, I say almost because reports on the forums from a great number of people that said the analog controller was defective have convinced me to pass it and buy a GBA instead, I'm hoping this won't be the case here.

2. I understand the vibration in the gun is pretty annoying and makes a plastic click sounds, I was wondering whether the same was true for the trigger, the vibration is a cool option but I can give it a miss, but as for the trigger...

Both of my guns work (just not at the same time yet ;) )
I like the recoil... the trigger is very silent, could easily be drowned out by the gunshout sounds of the game.  The feedback of the recoil feels good to me, and the "clicking sound" doesn't bother me because my volume's up so high that I barely hear it.

I thought one of my guns was perfect the night before, but then the next day I was having calibration issues.  It turns out the daylight from the door next to my cabinet was messing with the gun!  I closed the blinds and it worked fine.  So before you think the gun's broken, try it out in the dark first.  It sucks that the gun seems so sensitive to that kind of thing, but oh well

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2006, 06:54:04 pm
  • Proud ownder of an LCD TopGun
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #952 on: February 12, 2006, 02:50:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply panya.

I thought one of my guns was perfect the night before, but then the next day I was having calibration issues.  It turns out the daylight from the door next to my cabinet was messing with the gun!  I closed the blinds and it worked fine.  So before you think the gun's broken, try it out in the dark first.  It sucks that the gun seems so sensitive to that kind of thing, but oh well

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that all demo videos from EMS's website were shot in the dark IIRC, maybe that's their intended enviornment for the guns but they neglected to mention that.

ChodTheWacko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2006, 10:40:11 pm
« Reply #953 on: February 12, 2006, 03:01:25 pm »
But real arcade guns don't work any better or any more accurately. Trust me on this one, I work with real arcade guns almost every day. The issue here causing the problems is the drivers (which are being sorted out) not the actual hardware which as far as I can see is damned good for the money.

When they work well, they're great.  The biggest issue is the limitation of shooting distance vs screen width, which I don't see changing regardless of drivers.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #954 on: February 12, 2006, 03:10:42 pm »

When they work well, they're great.  The biggest issue is the limitation of shooting distance vs screen width, which I don't see changing regardless of drivers.

True enough... But you can reduce the shooting distance by 1/4 by mounting the stands above and below the screen instead of at the sides.. It does work, give it a try.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

EDIT::::  I see you already do this.....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:13:27 pm by Fozzy The Bear »

ChodTheWacko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2006, 10:40:11 pm
« Reply #955 on: February 12, 2006, 03:11:21 pm »
Fozzy or Anybody:
Did you success to play with 2 Lightguns in your PC?? I Didn

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #956 on: February 12, 2006, 03:19:03 pm »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

i did this and restarted, the gun tracked okay and the second i tested by pulling the trigger, it recoiled then froze up. i can no longer track the mouse and pulling the trigger does nothing

Hmmmm ermmm OK.... try a reboot without the guns in place then reboot with them again. I still think this might related to a power overload on the USB Bus and windows or your mobo shutting the bus power down to protect the system. At which point the gun would stop sending data... and even if the bus comes back up the driver may then not see the gun. Hence it seems to be dead.

Try booting with the gun and the recoil plugged in but disconnect the LED stands from the gun cable while you do it. It should then recoil without a problem.... Then plug the Led stands back in while it's live.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear) 

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #957 on: February 12, 2006, 03:25:44 pm »
yup I can

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

OK give me an hour or so to have a think about this one..... I'll be back later, I'll help solve it if I can.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

OK I've had a think about this one and fired the software up to see what happens.  I'm afraid that it seems to be a similar issue to the one Silver Fox fixed in Mame. The software is generating it's own cursor position rather than relying on the windows coordinates. 

In other words it's generating the cursor with an offset to the start position. Because it's not Open Code like mame and doesn't have configurable and editable drivers like Mame, the only fix for this one is to contact the writer of the emulator, explain the problem to them and ask them if they can fix it.

Your other alternative is to try one of the other NES emulators Nesticle ZSnes etc etc... there are a few others too but I forget their names right now.  And see how you get on with those.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #958 on: February 12, 2006, 04:45:02 pm »
yup I can

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

OK I've had a think about this one and fired the software up to see what happens.  I'm afraid that it seems to be a similar issue to the one Silver Fox fixed in Mame. The software is generating it's own cursor position rather than relying on the windows coordinates. 

In other words it's generating the cursor with an offset to the start position. Because it's not Open Code like mame and doesn't have configurable and editable drivers like Mame, the only fix for this one is to contact the writer of the emulator, explain the problem to them and ask them if they can fix it.

Your other alternative is to try one of the other NES emulators Nesticle ZSnes etc etc... there are a few others too but I forget their names right now.  And see how you get on with those.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

well that completely sucks. How am I supposed to play Duck Hunt! These guns are causing more problems then benefits.
No recoil and now no NES games - unless I change emu, but fce ultra is  the preferred emu for NES games on an arcade cabinet

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #959 on: February 12, 2006, 05:05:55 pm »
well that completely sucks. How am I supposed to play Duck Hunt! These guns are causing more problems then benefits.
No recoil and now no NES games - unless I change emu, but fce ultra is  the preferred emu for NES games on an arcade cabinet

I just ran FCE ultra with duck hunt fully maximised window and its perfect.

However, when launching in "full-screen" mode there is an offset. Note I believe this will be an issue with ALL currently available lightguns as far as I can see (there appears to be no calibration in FCE ultra for the zapper emulation).

Might be worth playing with some of the video settings, in case that is the cause. Or we could just email the authors....