Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-Arcade Tankstick USB Mod Question (installing a USB Hub)  (Read 591 times)

websherpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2024, 10:38:48 am
X-Arcade Tankstick USB Mod Question (installing a USB Hub)
« on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:08 pm »
Call me a glutten for punishment, but I got it in mind to convert my spare Tankstick BACK to the original updated X-Arcade controller PCB (from an I-Pac Ultimate conversion I did, to use that in another build).  All good except that I am rather fond of installing a USB hub inside my pre-built controllers to add things like Spinners so there is only one simple USB cable hanging out the back.

It works fine if I coil up the long original 9 pin PCB header female connector to Serial/USB/PS2 cable inside and connect to the USB hub, but I have built 2 shorter custom USB to 9 pin PCB header connectors now, and neither works as expected.  Both short hacked cables light the Tankstick’s Power LED, but do not seem to be transmitting USB data.

I’m pretty sure (having traced from original at least 6 times to be sure) that I have the correct pinout configuration (unless I am missing something really obvious), however I am asking to see if anyone else has built a straight USB cable for the TankStick in this fashion and if so, any ideas what my issue might be? (Or maybe a pinout diagram I can check mine against?)  The USB shielding appears to be just floating and not connected to anything at the PCB end of things.

THanks in advance if anyone picks up on this and can help me!

Or would I be better off connecting to the 4-pin PS2 PCB header instead?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:45:50 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: X-Arcade Tankstick USB Mod Question (installing a USB Hub)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 09:29:07 am »
The USB shielding appears to be just floating and not connected to anything at the PCB end of things.

That's your problem.

websherpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2024, 10:38:48 am
Re: X-Arcade Tankstick USB Mod Question (installing a USB Hub)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:25 am »
The USB shielding appears to be just floating and not connected to anything at the PCB end of things.

That's your problem.

When I tested the original cables, ther doesn’t appear to be any connection between the original Tankstick connector USB /PS2 cables’ sheilding and any pin on the 9 pin PCB connector.

Sorry, I am going from PCB 9 pin connector to USB-A and Pin 9 on the PCB Header IS the shield for the Serial connector, and is connected to Pin 1 of the USB-A Male. (But there is no connection on the original to the USB-A end shield.)

I tried again using a pinout found on here, but still no dice, I only get power and no data and the data connections appear to be as expected and not reversed.

I haven't tried to test continuity on the Encoder Board though, there is always a remote chance one of the pins isn't connecting to the female connector.  So that's next.

Then I am going to try going from the 4-pin PS2 connector straight through to USB (inactive) to see if that will work instead.
. (I am realizing now that the 4 pin PS/2 header on the X-Arcade encoder is an INPUT for programming the board directly from a PS/2 keyboard, that the 9-pin serial header is, I think, split off to USB-A and PS/2 PC mobo connectors.

Still I am now suffering pseudo-OCD to determine why my new connector isn't working.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 01:31:44 pm by websherpa »