Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Promised End....(Major Havoc)  (Read 3573 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 08:28:35 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
The Promised End....(Major Havoc)
« on: April 05, 2023, 02:00:14 pm »
Preview, I will be posting details:

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:53:03 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: The Promised End....(Major Havoc)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 02:26:48 pm »
Yes!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 11:04:28 am »
Looks awesome.  I don't remember my arcades having that game and I can't remember if I've ever played it.  My first ZapCon might have been the only time I had a chance.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:08:46 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:30 am »
They really missed an opportunity.

It should have been called "The Happy Ending"

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 11:49:46 am »
Yes!
I hope not to disappoint.

Looks awesome.  I don't remember my arcades having that game and I can't remember if I've ever played it.  My first ZapCon might have been the only time I had a chance.
They only made 500 in this style, but a number of Tempest cabs were converted later.

They really missed an opportunity.

It should have been called "The Happy Ending"

Dirty man.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 12:14:01 pm »
I have wanted to own every game since I got into this hobby.  I got pretty comfortable with GroovyMame and knew that long term I could build my dream cab for raster games.  But the more that I got into researching vectors I knew I needed to go another route.  I’ve been collecting a number of them but what really caught my eye was Major Havoc.  This was going to be one of the handful of games that was going to get a dedicated cab.

Right around the time I was doing research (2020) a number of guys on KLOV were gearing up for the same thing.  There was a push for re-producing the roller controllers, that kicked off a push to get the cabs and metal ears recut, Shilmover was doing a run on Amplifone clones for the color vector monitor and before I knew it the pieces were starting to come together.  Last real hurdle was the game. 

There was a member on KLOV named Tronic who had reproduced blank Major Havoc PCB’s.  Although he seemingly had none left I PM’d him and he had one he was holding on to that he was willing to sell.  I jumped on it and had it in my possession for over 2 years before last August when I finally got the energy to give it a go.

Thankfully I had a Build of Materials to reference, and I had already acquired a number of components I knew I was going to need (quad pokey, LETA chip, AVG chip) that weren’t as easy to locate.

Let the soldering begin.

I bought this (and another wider variant) lead bending tool.  Really helps to keep the bends uniform and consistent:

Even after putting in a seemingly few amount of components it still translates to a lot of legs to cut and solder:

For soldering bperkins01 and MikeA turned me onto the Hakko set that can be found here:

Solder and Reel for easily pulling is here & here.

Making slow progress over a number of days:

Put in a number of sockets (dual wipe) for components that either need to be removed (ROM’s for burning new versions of a game), or components that can fail (RAM, analog chips).

Here is most of the components installed:

And now with ROM’s burnt (marked with blue masking tape) using a chip burning tool found here.(again thanks bperkins01 & MikeA)

There is a ton of left over flux when soldering all those legs:

Spray some Isopropyl Alcohol and use a mild bristle tooth brush and it comes right off:

To hook this up I needed to get a wiring harness.  I didn’t want to put the time into that so I outsourced it to Golden Age Arcade and Ken put it together in a couple of weeks:

To test it out I needed to get power. I had bought an original Atari Vector Power Brick and AR2 sound and voltage regulation PCB.  I also needed something to check the visuals.  So I picked up an old analog oscilloscope.  They can handle any input and are a great way to check vector game PCB’s without worrying about damaging your monitor.

Connected it all up and……

Success!

It’s kinda cool to see in action on the oscilloscope:

With that out of the way I decided that with everything else being new and shiny the old power brick was going to need work:

You can see how pretty it once was by looking at the bottom:

Thankfully I had purchased some replacements from Takeman on KLOV and got to work:

With all the components out you could see just how bad the rust damage was:

After buying replacement screws for the ones that were too badly rusted and carefully taking pictures to get everything back it cleaned up good:

After putting all the stickers in place and protective cardboard it was all ready for install

Good place to stop for now.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:47:06 pm by Arroyo »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 12:30:27 pm »
I found the whole thing astounding BEFORE I discovered you put the board together yourself.
Whoa-
 :applaud:
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 12:33:32 pm »
Yeah. He is kind of insane.

This was one hell of a project.

You can see the effort in the final product.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 12:44:38 pm »
I found the whole thing astounding BEFORE I discovered you put the board together yourself.
Whoa-
 :applaud:
It was a fun challenge.  I'd recommend it if you get a chance.

Yeah. He is kind of insane.

Just kinda?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 12:46:41 pm »
I'd recommend it if you get a chance.

I thought you liked Bobby.

Don't do it. It's a trap.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 01:30:14 pm »
WOW.  This is a crazy level of dedication to one game.  The cabinet looks great - like a piece of art. 

I never really played this game other than a few times and it didn't click right away.  Is the roller more like a trackball or a spinner?  I only have a spinner (and joystick) and I'm finding the game difficult to control although I didn't know there was a second button so I'm going to have to try again.  The game looks OK on a raster but nothing compared to what you are using.  I really like this project.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 02:03:20 pm »
 :cheers:

The controller is a roller controller (like a skateboard wheel), and moves side to side.  It's the only game that used it.  The closest thing would be a spinner as it's just an X axis movement.  If it's hard to control you may want to check the spinner revolution setting in MAME.  I know there was a thread on spinner setting per game.  I think this Youtube clip goes over it:

He doesn't list the tooth count for Major Havoc but it's 24.  I counted.

EDIT: I may need to double check that tooth count.  I’ll post back here.

Yes 24:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 03:04:23 pm by Arroyo »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:57:49 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 02:50:07 pm »
You’ve come a long way, baby.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 03:04:49 pm »
You’ve come a long way, baby.

Cheers Fatboy Slim.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 04:07:36 pm »
:cheers:

The controller is a roller controller (like a skateboard wheel), and moves side to side.  It's the only game that used it.  The closest thing would be a spinner as it's just an X axis movement.  If it's hard to control you may want to check the spinner revolution setting in MAME.  I know there was a thread on spinner setting per game.  I think this Youtube clip goes over it:

He doesn't list the tooth count for Major Havoc but it's 24.  I counted.

EDIT: I may need to double check that tooth count.  I’ll post back here.

Yes 24:

Sweet.  Thanks.  So using the formula I should set the sensitivity to 2?  24 * 100 / 1200 (I have a U-Trak spinner).  I'm going to give it a shot.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 04:36:29 pm »
Sweet.  Thanks.  So using the formula I should set the sensitivity to 2?  24 * 100 / 1200 (I have a U-Trak spinner).  I'm going to give it a shot.

Yup.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2023, 05:15:04 pm »
I'd recommend it if you get a chance.

I thought you liked Bobby.

Don't do it. It's a trap.

:lol

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2023, 06:44:22 pm »
Nice work :)  It was fun to be a part of this project   :applaud:  :applaud:  :applaud:

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2023, 07:33:40 pm »
As always, it was fun having you on it.

Now that the game board worked, and the power brick was all cleaned up it was time to figure out the monitor.  The game originally came with an Amplifone color vector monitor.  A lot of people have put in Wells Gardner 6100 color vectors however the Amplifone is different in a couple of ways.  The deflection board design meant the Amplifones had a faster draw speed than the 6100’s, they had potentiometers on the deflection board which allowed you to adjust the height and width independent of the gameboard potentiometers.  This lends to more flexibility in adjusting the picture.  Maybe more importantly though the original Amplifone’s could run both 19” and 25” monitors.  And maybe MOST importantly the 19” tubes that came with them were medium resolution (EGA)

I happened to track down an original tube and got to work:

That’s one dirty girl. 

Mounted it to a frame so I could wash it off:

bperkins01 turned me onto Krud Kutter.  Stuff is magic.  Hit it with water, and then spray it on and use a paint brush.

Here you can see the difference between a standard resolution (CGA) on the right and the medium resolution tube (note the difference in dot pitch distance):

Also important to note is difference in phosphor color and tint.  The newer TV tube that I pulled is much darker.  The reason this matters is that Atari in particular put their color vector displays behind tinted glass.  If you use a tube with a darker color the vectors won’t be as vibrant behind the tinted glass.  Having a lighter phosphor is helpful for getting the ultra bright vector lines to come through.

The problem is that this tube was bare.  No Yoke, no convergence rings, no degauss coil, and no dag wire.  So had to start making some.  I used some 20 gauge wire and started stripping the insulation:

As the wire was stranded I would put it in the chuck of the drill bit to twist the wires and make them more solid as I was stripping the insulation.

I used 0.084” Molex pins to crimp wires together and then break off the heads:

Bought a spring at the local Ace store and crimped the other end around the CRT’s mounting tab.

The purpose of the Dag wire is to maintain contact with the Aquadag (black looking paint on the back).  CRT’s build up a static charge and the Aquadag is the conductant used, along with the wire, to remove the charge on the back of the tube and send it to ground.

I also threw on a 6100 yoke I had picked up to test before trying to do any Yoke winding.  The 6100 was designed for a 100 degree tube (uncommon) whereas the Amplifone used the more standard 90 degree.  This meant that while I could use it to test for a picture there was no way I was going to get the vectors to converge properly.  But good enough to test.

To the right is the Amplifone clone kit I picked up from Shilmover on KLOV.  I believe the deflection board is the most recent design where he moved from a larger heat sink to smaller ones with fans.  Very important to make sure those are running, learned the hard way and blew some transistors.

Hooking it up is fairly intuitive in that the Molex connectors he used matched the header pins on each board.  He also included some labels, and used the standard Atari .084" 15 pin Molex connector to match original harnesses (assuming you are using them).

Just make sure you hook up your degauss circuit (tiny PCB at the bottom) to your Degauss coil (borrowed that from another tube).  Also make sure the HV (PCB on the left) is grounded with a wire heading back to ground on your power brick (green wire with the red connector on the left).  Also solder a wire to the dag wire and run it to ground as well.

Good enough for a picture!

You may notice that everything is in white.  I thought it might have been a problem with my connector but verified it was the game board.  I later learned it came down to 2 bad RAM chips that I had ordered new and were bad.  bperkins01 and MikeA helped in locating it, and bperkins01 was gracious enough to fix it.

I knew I needed to figure out a Yoke that would work.  I had watched the same Arcade Jason video that people have referenced for winding.  I wanted though to have a backup in case I couldn’t get this to work.  I chose an old G07 I had to test as it had a Yoke that was similar in shape and size to an original (luckily have one on a Star Wars to reference).  I also chose it because the phosphor was light enough that it could work behind tinted glass.

Fired it up with a TPG and it was pretty poor contrast:

To make sure it wasn’t a dying tube I decided to cap the monitor and see if it helped, and it did:

(had I owned a CRT rejuvenator at the time I would have skipped the last step)

Knowing that it was a good tube I proceeded to mark the yoke and convergence rings (note white fingernail polish) after I liked the picture and took measurements for position:

Let the Yoke winding begin:

For information on how to do this you can watch this video:

After putting it back together and soldering to the terminals and wires for the connector I got it setup:

Success!

Again everything was white at the time due to the output of the game, but it looked great.

With the confidence of that I decided to try it on the Amplifone medium resolution tube.

I spent many, many hours playing with the position, convergence strips, adding magnets, and couldn’t get the results I would be satisfied with.  Best I could get was this (pretty good):

You can see the convergence problems at the top and bottom and sides.

For comparison here is a few yokes to see the differences:

6100 on the left, 25” yoke from a TV, Amp Yoke, and the rewound G07 yoke.  You can see the differences in the inner winnings which are influenced by the shape of the ferrite cores.

More to come.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:49:31 am by Arroyo »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 11:07:11 am »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- Arroyo I knew you were crazy but this is another level.  Incredible that you were able to figure this all out.  Damn.

:notworthy:

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 05:40:30 pm »
Outstanding attention to detail. :applaud:

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2024, 08:00:52 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2023, 02:33:25 am »
god damnit, betwen you and bobby13, now you guys make me want to build a dedicated vectrex cab, i have been dreaming of that all my life, and seeing that is posible to build a working vector machine, im a start reading more and more on how to achive that, lucky me, most tvs i can source localy are cheap and most tubes are burned free, so ima start reading how to build a working monitor first. Great job Arroyo. Maybe you guys can start a dedicated topic just for the monitor part.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2023, 03:43:41 am »
I will happily defer to this gent because he knows more about this than I do.

And so, my FIRST question would be what fuses have you settled on for power supply feeds?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 09:24:45 am »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- Arroyo I knew you were crazy but this is another level.  Incredible that you were able to figure this all out.  Damn.
It's really just spending time researching.  Anyone can do it, you just have to have the motivation.

Outstanding attention to detail. :applaud:

Thanks.  Just showing what I learned in case others are interested.

god damnit, betwen you and bobby13, now you guys make me want to build a dedicated vectrex cab.

Do it, it's pretty satisfying to pull off.

I will happily defer to this gent because he knows more about this than I do.

And so, my FIRST question would be what fuses have you settled on for power supply feeds?

Maybe I'll put togther something, you've already done a great job on your Vector Gasim thread.

As for the fuses, I'll post on your thread about that after this.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 09:45:32 am »
Frustrated I decided to move on to other things.

The cab had been cut and put together by markrl on KLOV.  It arrived late in 2021 and was sitting in storage until I started putting this together late last year.  He even had the metal ears extruded, cut, and powder coated.  His work is really impressive.  All of the other metal work including control panel was done by Takeman on KLOV.

So I decided to go with the G07 tube for now and start putting things together until I could work on fixing the yoke problem on the Amplifone tube. 

I had purchased a flourcecent tube holder and ballast from the Arcade Boneyard.  Starter and mount was from Amazon:

Followed the Major Havoc manual for wiring (there’s a lot of good stuff in the manuals).

Had to create the wiring for the lamp, molex 0.093” 3 pin.

Started to install all the metal mesh and other speakers:

Metal mesh speaker holders:

Speakers installed:

And then it was installing the metal mesh air vents and covers:

Monitor head box

Rear door air vent:

Speakers installed:

That one was a ---smurfette--- to get in, very hard to reach and I ended up having to tape it in place so I could drill the holes.

Tube has metal hand holders that mount to the CRT tabs, that then mount to the wood:

Arcadeshop.com sells leaf buttons

Power brick and AR2 power supply installed:

Monitor mounted and looking at placement for deflection and High Voltage boards:

Wiring harness being laid out:

Needed to mount the deflection and HV to fit the slots of the original larger size PCB's:

Cut that metal aluminum on my SawStop and had to run it in bypass mode so that it didn't trigger an activation and kill a brake.  That was a fun learning experience.

Coming together:

Picked up 1 Over/Under CoinCo and 2 CoinControls coin doors that were originally used in Atari Vector games (Star Wars, Major Havoc, Space Duel, Gravitar) (3rd one was free ;-))

Needed to extend the Deflection to High Voltage power cable as it was too short:

Started mounting some of the harness to the cab:

The reproduction Roller Controller was very well made (Takeman on KLOV):

Wiring up to the Power Plate coming into the cab:

Installed in the bottom:

More to come.....

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 02:54:53 pm »
Nice clean wotk as always of course.
Fun to see this as it came together.
Certainly the biggest 3D jigsaw puzzle of a cabinet I've seen yet.

Had no idea the speaker situation there was so convoluted!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 04:29:07 pm »
If I had a heads up I would have bought stock in whatever company makes the zip ties he used.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:39 am
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 05:51:05 pm »
 WoW  :drool
Check out my completed projects!

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2023, 06:47:56 pm »
Impressive.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 11:25:19 pm »
Certainly the biggest 3D jigsaw puzzle of a cabinet I've seen yet.
The EDOT is far worse, that will be a bear to put all together. 

WoW  :drool
:)

Impressive.

Cheers.   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 11:31:23 pm »
Getting close, you can see with the non-medium res tube with the color now:

While it was looking good and I was getting close enough to start buttoning things up I just couldn’t let go of not using the Med Res tube.  I tried another yoke that I rewound from a 25” 90 TV tube I found.  Looked closer:

Rewound that one and it didn’t work, in fact it was worse.  I know now that the shape of the ferrites was actually further off despite the inner coils looking closer.

Finally broke down and looked to source an original for this troublesome tube.  It does appear to have a longer neck and slightly different shape from a typical 90 degree tube.  I managed to find one after much searching.

Cleans up nice:

After spending a while positioning the yoke and rotating the convergence rings I finally got a picture I was happy with:

Mounted it back in the cab, and it was really fun to see the sharper picture:

With it mounted now I needed to create a shroud.  I was using a Tempest for a template, but it wasn’t that helpful.  I tried a number of different iterations before temporarily accepting this:

Had to throw on the glass and marquee to see how it looked:

Paradise Arcade Shop made a run on the Marquee as they knew a number of us needed it.

There were some last finishing touches to be done.  The coin door, coin box container, service utility panel High Voltage and ballast shields.

Good place to stop for now.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:39 am
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 01:19:56 am »
Looks very sharp and tidy! Can't imagine this cab being anything but Major Havok now.

Love the fridge in your workshop - I need one too, except then wife would never see me again lol   :laugh2:
Check out my completed projects!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:24 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2023, 01:56:07 pm »
Mate that is beautiful...!

Don't think I've played it on a dedicated cabinet before, but that is really something else. The work and dedication you've put into it is amazing.  :notworthy: