Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mars lightgun  (Read 1187 times)

lodoss118

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2019, 01:07:45 pm
Mars lightgun
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
Anyone interested in this https://www.pdp.com/blog/?p=622

I wish the light gun looked better, this is similar to this Chinese () person was doing it, with the ps camera.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:57:00 pm
Re: Mars lightgun
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:47:59 pm »
Interesting.  I was under the impression that laser based systems would not work well on flat screens dues to their anti reflective coatings (to reduce glare).   I wonder if it will have a mouse emulation mode.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:50:52 pm by SammyWI »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:23:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:16 pm »
From my testing it very much depends upon the screen surface.  Older monitors and tvs work and newer ones with really good anti-glare don't. 

I'll be interested if I actually see it working and see the price point.  Even if it works it'd have to be hacked extensively to get things up to snuff.  Looking at their prototype there it doesn't have enough buttons or recoil.  Those things could be easily fixed, but I guess the price point would really determine if it's worth it. 

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:22:24 am
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:02:37 pm »
Actually, this system should be pretty easily be diy`able; all it should take is a raspberry pi, the noIR cam, an ir filter ( like from a wiimote) and some pretty dang basic computer vision, like they show in the video. And, obviously, a mouse driver.
thet0ast3r

ryoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:45:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »
Hope they release these gun soon. Looking good for the light gun  games in the future
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:58:31 pm by ryoken »

lightgungamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:01:23 am
  • I love playing Light Gun Games
    • LightgunGame.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:06:16 am »
I'm really excited about this - I hope the finished product is compatible with PC like in the video above - The only seem to talk about the console version in their material.

One thing I noticed that was a bit worrying was that they seemed to have a constant laser pointer on the screen when demoing the zombie cruse game. That would ruin most light gun games, but in other demos it seems to be absent.

I have put everything that I can find info wise about this in one post on my site: https://lightgungamer.com/pdp-mars-lightgun/
https://LightGunGamer.com - every Lightgun game and how to play them

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2019, 03:04:06 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:45:41 pm »
It looks like he is using a PS3 camera in the video. I can't really tell much else from it.

Finding accurate light guns for the PS2 was never an issue. They have the best home light gun ever made. As far as PC functionality goes, I can't really see much except that he is moving the cursor with the gun.

Is there any new tech in this?

Disco74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 06:42:35 am
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 05:31:49 am »
I think the Sinden gun will be better for emulation