Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using a Pi for my Ultimate 4 Player Cabinet  (Read 2977 times)

domo dan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 08:39:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Using a Pi for my Ultimate 4 Player Cabinet
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »
I'm amidst a rather ambitious project of building an amazing 4 player gaming cabinet. It's going to feature "stations" for 4 players that include joysticks and buttons (still trying to nail down button count and layout). I'm using a Taspberry Pi3 with RetroPie.

What I'd also like to do is feature a flush mount USB port for each player so they can use handheld controllers of the appropriate type/variety of preferred over the built in controls. Things like an NES/SNES/N64 controller, etc... I'm using a Raspberry Pi3 and attaching the buttons and joysticks via ControlBlock.

Will I be able to have the Raspberry Pi accept input from the USB ports if something is plugged in, but if not then use the hard wired buttons and joysticks?

Also, is there a way that I can incorporate a rollerball or two for Marble Madness and some of the games best played with that type of interface?

I've got the software side working perfectly with USB controllers and have my joysticks, buttons and ControlBlocks either inbound or on the shelf waiting for the other parts to arrive. Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
Re: Using a Pi for my Ultimate 4 Player Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:58:23 pm »
From experience and my personal opinion, just grab another RPI3 for $40 with shipping for the living room.
standing in front of an arcade cabinet with a controller is less fun than sitting on the couch.

for what you want to do though i think all you really need to do is configure arcade emulators to use one set of controllers (control panel) and your console emulators to use a different set of controllers.

domo dan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 08:39:05 pm
Re: Using a Pi for my Ultimate 4 Player Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 07:13:42 am »
From experience and my personal opinion, just grab another RPI3 for $40 with shipping for the living room.
standing in front of an arcade cabinet with a controller is less fun than sitting on the couch.

for what you want to do though i think all you really need to do is configure arcade emulators to use one set of controllers (control panel) and your console emulators to use a different set of controllers.

Thanks for the input! I actually got my ControlBlock yesterday and wired one player up in a cardboard box as a proof of concept. I didn't get a chance to test out what happens if I put in a USB controller.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to stand while you play certain games. I've got a bunch of Pi's and will likely get a couple setup for that purpose in certain areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk