Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame force feedback support? Hard / Race Drivin  (Read 10715 times)

offset

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:33:15 am
Mame force feedback support? Hard / Race Drivin
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
Anyone know if MAME has made any progress on force feedback support for Hard / Race Drivin?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
Re: Mame force feedback support? Hard / Race Drivin
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »
Not that I'm aware of. 

Simple outputs are supported via MAMEHooker.
So if the game had a shaker motor that can be turned on and off, you can have rumble for those games.
(if the output has been hooked up in the MAME driver)

Real directional force feedback though the steering wheel isn't possible though.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »
Hard & Race Drivin's wheel was something like a washer / dryer motor.  Very powerful,  especially when turned to the Max setting.

The FFB was directly on the shaft, that runs through the motor itself.   (on most versions of the game)

Real directional force feedback though the steering wheel isn't possible though.

Anything is possible if you throw enough money and the correct people into it.

The problem is that most devs admittedly do not even care for racing games...    and then you have the issue of getting a hardware standard in place.. and one that the Devs will allow.

Hardware deveopers and resellers refuse to invest in new products that are not supported in mame...  because they are fearful that nobody will provide support for them.   So no hardware solutions will exist.. Until there is support, and or a cooperation formed to bring these desired and needed options to the market.

Whats most sad... is that there are cabinets that people acquire... that go bad over time.   The repair costs are often too high, and the resale of the cabinet is often too low...   so these cabs are often gutted and butchered.

If mame supported these cabinets far better... then such a person would easily insert a PC into the machine,  and directly interface with the original controls.   Thus.. keeping the game from getting fully parted out... and hacked beyond belief.

Later..  if someone got the deire to return the cabinet to the former original state... they could do so with far greater ease.  Rather than trying to hunt down various parts.. and remake wire harnesses..etc.

I really think we need to start focusing on far better hardware solutions.. and start offering them to the people.
Its a waste having generic controls that are flimsy, break easily, and do not control the games anywhere near correctly or as nicely.

People are more than willing to pay for high quality game controls...   from Namco Coil drivin lightguns...  to full force feedback wheels, and realistic pedals.

Look to the Racing Sim market.    There are high quality parts for their hobby all over the place..   and the games build in support for them, because these Devs actually like to play the games with good controllers.  (and or are just really great about appeasing the desires of their customers)

People also need to voice their desires as well.

The great thing about making arcade quality controls... is that the market support not only mame / emulator cabinet originals...  but also, the actual arcade machines... AND possibly the racing Sim crowd to boot.

As far as I know... we cant even get more than 2 speaker support out of mame yet.   Quite sad,  IMO...  especially since pretty much every Generic motherboard comes with built-in Realtec multi-channel outputs.  (Which has been basically a standard for probably well over 8 years)

Cheesy video players can support it... but not mame / emulators ?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:14:33 pm »
Aside from a few byoac faithful, I was the only one even looking into force-feedback (I did most of the non-lamp outputs currently in mame).  It's super time consuming though, so unless it's a game I like, I have a hard time justifying the time sink.  Maybe one winter I'll get bored and do them all.  ;)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:57 am
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:27:45 pm »
The great thing about making arcade quality controls... is that the market support not only mame / emulator cabinet originals...  but also, the actual arcade machines... AND possibly the racing Sim crowd to boot.

Having just recently started moving to the 'sim racing' market myself, I can tell you that "arcade controls" and "sim controls" have very little in common.  Arcade games are about eating quarters after all.  :)

As far as I know... we cant even get more than 2 speaker support out of mame yet.   Quite sad,  IMO...  especially since pretty much every Generic motherboard comes with built-in Realtec multi-channel outputs.  (Which has been basically a standard for probably well over 8 years)

Are there any arcade games (emulated in MAME or otherwise) that actually support multi channel (greater than 2) channel output??  Arcade cabinets aren't really built to support any kind of surround sound for the most part, and it would increase the cost of the cabinets, while adding very little (if any) value to the 'arcade experience'.  Most arcades are so damn noisy you can't hear the games anyway...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:44 am »
Surprisingly there are more than you think.  Cockpits from the late 90's often had front speakers and speakers mounted to the back of the seat... sometimes a sub as well. (although I'm not sure if the split was done on an amp like in a car or if it was true surround).   Also there's this one game that's similar to T2 only it's fantasy based and you have speakers in your weapons which are "Drag-guns" (yup the pun is that bad). 

It should be simple enough to add in windows at least... if direct sound/show are used you can select a target for audio... by default it's the "system" audio (all audio devices combined) but you can set to individual sound cards as well.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:48:10 am »

Maybe one winter I'll get bored and do them all.  ;)
My finghers are crossed! ;)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:20:41 am »
Having just recently started moving to the 'sim racing' market myself, I can tell you that "arcade controls" and "sim controls" have very little in common.  Arcade games are about eating quarters after all.  :)

Not true.

Arcade machine pedals,  and  PC based pedals... use the same technology.    They either use an analog pot..  or in the case of a more expensive brake... they use a load sensor now.   The arcade games  "Hard Drivin" and  "Race Drivin"   have a load sensor on the brake pedal,  and Hard Drivin was released in 1989.  (Well before Sim Racing used load sensors AFAIK.

Not only that... but they also use a 5 way shifter.   4 gears + Reverse.  The shifter uses dual pots, and snaps in gear with good authority.  Probably better made than most Sim shifters.    Similar for the pedal set... which has Gas, Brake, and an Analog Clutch.

And, its 900 degree wheel  (10 turn pot)  has a more powerful force feedback motor than pretty much anything ever made.

But even with all that said...  Any analog racing game can use the same controls..., because they function the exact same way.

Are there any arcade games (emulated in MAME or otherwise) that actually support multi channel (greater than 2) channel output??  Arcade cabinets aren't really built to support any kind of surround sound for the most part, and it would increase the cost of the cabinets, while adding very little (if any) value to the 'arcade experience'.

Again, not so.

There are games going back into the 80s that have more than 2 Channels.

A few:

1981    Sega Turbo  -  3 Speakers.    two smaller speakers up top..   and 1 large 10" woofer below the control panel.   The larger speaker was mostly for the engine noises.

1983    TX1  -  4 Speakers.   I believe is:  Front (under monitor area),  Seat:  Left and Right  near the ears.   Seat:  Under seat
The game pans the cars sounds to each different speaker,  as you approach and pass them.   Its gives a very realistic 3d positional effect.
(TX-1 also used3 monitors.    Awesome game,  pushing the envelope... in the early 80s)

1983   Discs of Tron Environmental    -   4 speakers   (as well as additional lighting effects)

1983   Spy Hunter Sit-Down -  4 Speakers

1983   Sinistar Cockpit  -   I believe the standup was mono.. but with the cockpit, they added another speaker or two in the seat.
(While technically Stereo...  with proper surround sound,  you can assign speaker output to different physical areas on the cabinet..  for accurate compatibility with pretty much any game)

And many more.   Especially in the 90s... when 3d based racing games became very popular and common.

Yes, they Did add a lot to the experience.   Especially TX-1..  which you could distinctly tell where the cars were around you.. due to its panning.    You could hear their approach from the front..   hear if there were cars on either side of you...  and even when there was a car coming up from behind you - or you passing a car.

Turbo was another great one too.   The smaller speakers carrying most of the typical game sounds... and the 10 woofer carrying mostly just the engine sound.   The separation makes for a more clear audio up top..   and a much lower bass sound on the larger speaker below.
It also creates a different spatial sound effect... due to different speaker positioning.

A lot of those older cockpit games added unique sound effects and panning, when you purchased the Sit-down versions of the games as well.   Meaning,  it was not simply mono wired into two channel output.    Discs of Tron even has light bulbs that flash in sequence in its seat section... that do not exist on the basic model machine.

Most arcades are so damn noisy you can't hear the games anyway...

Not true.

One of the reasons why speakers were built into the seats of many of these games... was also to make them more audible.. as they were closer to the players ears.     And in games like TX-1..  you were inside of a cabinet... and the arcade shell shields a lot of the surrounding noises.  (as well as providing more sound resonation within the shell)

Edit:

Im also going to add how disappointed in KLOV and other arcade documentary sources.    There is so much missing and incorrect information, that its sickening.    For example,  there is no mention of speaker numbers,  placements,  separate audio boards,  cabinet differences, lighting, and often the controls stated are completely incorrect... or too generic.    Controls listed as "Brake",  for example.  do not list:  Optical, Pot, Strain Gauge (load cell sensor).

Sometimes you can find certain things in the manuals..  however,  many of the manuals are only for certain cabinet types... with others completely missing.

If things do not change...  its possible that many things will be lost to time.    Especially when Mame itself doesnt even know.

Edit 2:

Howard...  How about a way to use LCD based 3d Shutter glasses without any special driver.
Most of these use Infared LEDs in field of sight... to Sync the glasses to the display.  (and many are quite cheap to find on ebay these days)

Maybe use a light based output board,  or other voltage output board that the vendors sell now ... to drive a simple IR LED set?

Continental Circus has a Stereoscopic 3D mode..  that you can start up using something like F2 in game.   The effects are Jaw dropping, and worth it for that game alone.   Smoke, Tires, and other parts are constantly flying out of the screen.  Its a blast.

( I was able to see the effect partially... using a Sega Master system turned on at the same time I had mame running... and peered through the glasses.  Only problem was that there was no way to sync mame to the glasses... so the stereo was rolling in and out.  Still, its something awesome to see.  Takes an average 6 ish racer...  and makes it a solid 8.

There are other 3d based games in mame too.    As well as in other consoles such as the Sega Master System...   which has:
Missile Defense 3d  (Awesome lightgun game),  and many more.   

Even the Elder Famicom had a 3d LCD glasses set... Ive only seen the glasses.. but not sure what games were available.    Amiga and other older computers that are now emulated into the new mame / mess system  (ume?)... could also be used.

I think you already have the setup from working with T2's  four flashing gun mounted LEDs right?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:59:26 am by Xiaou2 »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »

Actually, I was under the impression that Mamehooker actually supports motor support for moving cockpit machines.
Games like Outrun SitDown... used a single motor with forward and reverse..  and moved the seat using a simple worm gear system.

If that is true...  then there should not be any trouble supporting arcade force feedback wheel motors.    Either they are turning forwards, reverse... and at a certain speed.  (voltage)

If the signals are there and can be output...  then all we need is to make sure that one of our vendors boards can vary voltages on the fly.  If not.. then we just have to find or build one that does.   Shouldnt be hard... considering that this is the age of 3d printers,  and 3 to 6 dof motion sims.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:03:54 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »
Don't count on any date in the near future, but I'm working on it...

p.s. HardDriving is a HUGE 120V DC Motor... and I will need to build a controller board myself.
http://images.arianchen.de/for-amusement-only/harddrivin/010320151297.jpg
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »
I've done directional feedback for the record, I just don't think any of those drivers made it into mame.  They tend to be a bit picky and I tend not to want to have to re-write my code after several days of hard work. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:02:27 pm »
I was actually going to post earlier that maybe we (says the guy who can't code) should make our own fork of MAME just for driving games.
Combine RacerMAME with CabMAME.
Keep it based on one static version of MAME so nothing gets broken.
Don't care if it's done "properly", only care that it works for us.  ;D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:33 pm »
It's fairly easy to do a static build of mame, the problem is racing games are some of the few games that are still actively being worked on, so I don't know how long it would be before the static build would be obsolete due to a fancy racing title getting promoted to working status. 

Case in point, I've got a lot of sega game drivers, but I coded them prior to the big update, so they are now null and void and would have to be re-written.  I have the addresses though and that is the hard part.  sailorsat was talking to me about the preferred format for sega racers a few weeks back and I think that would be the way to go.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 09:33:09 pm »
Don't count on any date in the near future, but I'm working on it...

p.s. HardDriving is a HUGE 120V DC Motor... and I will need to build a controller board myself.
http://images.arianchen.de/for-amusement-only/harddrivin/010320151297.jpg

SailorSat,  You iz the Awesome.  =D

May want to check:    http://www.jmargolin.com
 He designed the hardware... and has a lot of information about the games there.   Maybe he can help with some designs and interfacing.

I heard on one page... that you can hook up as many monitors to a Hard/Race Drivin game as you want.   There is an example online which shows his game hooked up to 5 monitor.    I guess you can tell the camera where you want it pointed... and display from that point of view.   Im not sure if mame allows this yet / fully.

Im curious to know if these Camera positions are fully  X & Y editable...  and more to the point... Im wondering if you can Overlap camera.   WHY?    Because with a little tweaking... you should then be able to get Stereoscopic Hard Drivin.    ;D    The games graphics are a bit limited... but having 3d depth would help to remedy that.

Imagine HD displayed on a projector at over 10 feet diagonal, in 3d... looking over the top of the giant hilltop... hundreds of feet into the air.

Also,  I had read that these games used 8 bit analog encoders for certain controls  (such as the clutch and shifter pots)... yet the Wheel pot is a 10-turn pot... and operates on 12 bits  ( I believe thats what I read)    The brake pedals  Strain Gauge (load sensor),  is also 12 bit.   Does mame even support this depth of input accuracy?   

Curious... because Load Sensor brake pedals are finally becoming the standard choice for racing sims.   And rightly so.   More realism in feel..  and far more accuracy / resolution.     Having the ability to use such a pedal on any game would be a nice.  (obviously, with some form of scaling for lower resolution games)

I also wonder that it would take to make new levels for Race Drivin.

Im also not a fan of branch based forks.   They tend to get obsolete quickly.    And I think that changes should be universally accepted.

I think one of the largest problems still to date with mame... is still the Input section.   But sadly, nobody wants to touch it.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:34 am »
Racermame nowadays is essentially a collection of patches, changed default options and some easy fix (that i tend to submit to mamedev as soon as i catch them) so it would be easy to add to cabmame or any other fork.

I worked way harder for the obsolete version based on mame 0.106 but it doesn't support outputs, so...

I was actually going to post earlier that maybe we (says the guy who can't code) should make our own fork of MAME just for driving games.

offset

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 01:14:52 am »
Very cool discussion in this thread, I'm new to the RacerCab stuff.

I'm fixing up a Hard Drivin that I picked up recently, I think on my Upright/Compact, it uses an optical encoder for steering and not sure if there is a pot on it as well, still taking it apart to clean up and figure out all the inputs.  The strain gauge on the brake was a unique idea.

Hoping to get some ZeroRam for it, so that I don't have to re-initialize the input settings each time I power cycle.

Thread on KLOV here (see URL below), and yes, this will stay all original running on PCB, just curious how far the rabbit hole goes with MAME emulation as over time these cabinets don't get the credit they deserve and probably end up in landfills.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=357641

And yes, being able to create custom courses would be awesome!

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 01:42:53 am »
Compact steering wheel is optical, yes.

Mame is not an option ATM because unfortunately you cannot reproduce the main feature of the game: the force feedback.
Just for the record, your cab (a compact/upright) uses a standard res monitor instead of a med res like the cockpit. The brake is a switch, not a strain gauge like the cockpit version. The shifter is a simple 4 microswitch shifter. All this makes the compact version way more easier to use mame in with respect to the cockpit, but the not supported ff and the fact that 90% of the cases the pcb issues can be fixed easily thanks to the great built in self tests, make mameing this cab not the right choice in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:46:00 am by baritonomarchetto »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 11:18:08 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 04:38:06 am »

I am down for this idea and think maybe we should even consider kickstarting it.

offset

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 11:32:18 am »
Speaking of RacerMame and CabMame (never heard of this one, will check it out), are these being tracked as forks on github since mame is now on github?

Last time I tried to track changes between RacerMame and latest Mame as an example, it was hard for me to tell which things have been applied from Racermame into the master branch of mame

https://github.com/mamedev/mame

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 11:56:58 am »
You can download the zipped exe and take a look to the diff file.

As i said, racermame nowadays is more a patch collection than a "fork" being that the original work is limited (mame went more and more "good as it is" for racing cabs since ver 0.106)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:57 am
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 12:25:10 pm »

Are there any arcade games (emulated in MAME or otherwise) that actually support multi channel (greater than 2) channel output??  Arcade cabinets aren't really built to support any kind of surround sound for the most part, and it would increase the cost of the cabinets, while adding very little (if any) value to the 'arcade experience'.

Again, not so.

There are games going back into the 80s that have more than 2 Channels.

A few:

1981    Sega Turbo  -  3 Speakers.    two smaller speakers up top..   and 1 large 10" woofer below the control panel.   The larger speaker was mostly for the engine noises.

1983    TX1  -  4 Speakers.   I believe is:  Front (under monitor area),  Seat:  Left and Right  near the ears.   Seat:  Under seat
The game pans the cars sounds to each different speaker,  as you approach and pass them.   Its gives a very realistic 3d positional effect.
(TX-1 also used3 monitors.    Awesome game,  pushing the envelope... in the early 80s)

1983   Discs of Tron Environmental    -   4 speakers   (as well as additional lighting effects)

1983   Spy Hunter Sit-Down -  4 Speakers

1983   Sinistar Cockpit  -   I believe the standup was mono.. but with the cockpit, they added another speaker or two in the seat.
(While technically Stereo...  with proper surround sound,  you can assign speaker output to different physical areas on the cabinet..  for accurate compatibility with pretty much any game)

And many more.   Especially in the 90s... when 3d based racing games became very popular and common.

Yes, they Did add a lot to the experience.   Especially TX-1..  which you could distinctly tell where the cars were around you.. due to its panning.    You could hear their approach from the front..   hear if there were cars on either side of you...  and even when there was a car coming up from behind you - or you passing a car.

Turbo was another great one too.   The smaller speakers carrying most of the typical game sounds... and the 10 woofer carrying mostly just the engine sound.   The separation makes for a more clear audio up top..   and a much lower bass sound on the larger speaker below.
It also creates a different spatial sound effect... due to different speaker positioning.

A lot of those older cockpit games added unique sound effects and panning, when you purchased the Sit-down versions of the games as well.   Meaning,  it was not simply mono wired into two channel output.    Discs of Tron even has light bulbs that flash in sequence in its seat section... that do not exist on the basic model machine.

Most arcades are so damn noisy you can't hear the games anyway...

Not true.

One of the reasons why speakers were built into the seats of many of these games... was also to make them more audible.. as they were closer to the players ears.     And in games like TX-1..  you were inside of a cabinet... and the arcade shell shields a lot of the surrounding noises.  (as well as providing more sound resonation within the shell)

Multiple speakers does not equal multiple channels.  Putting two speakers in the back of a sit down cabinet wired to the same channel outputs as the front speakers is not the same thing as having dedicated front and rear channel speakers and the software being written to take use of the separate channels.

In your list above, TX1 seems to be the only title that may have had some sort of surround sound going on.

Sega Turbo sounds like it just had a low pass filter (LPF) on the subwoofer.  (basically what every 2.1 speaker system does today)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »
Well it's quite easy to tell.  Go into mame and enter the tilde menu.  Separate channels will have their own volume control.  That being said it STILL doesn't mean that they were separated at the hardware end... take the NES for example, it has two sound channels that are both pumped through mono out.  He's definitely over-estimating the numbers, but it's a valid point. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 09:52:22 pm »

I know that many of the Sit Downs have different sound boards and output differently than the standup games.
I was told this by a collector, whom owned a Disc of Tron Environmental game.    Im pretty sure that there are other examples as well.

It wouldnt matter if it were one game, or many.  Mame should allow for multiple channels.
Imo, TX-1 is worth it alone.   The 3d positional audio really makes the experience far more dynamic.

Furthermore...  the ability to assign a channel... means you can assign your sounds to the proper speaker location.   Otherwise, you would have to have a sound-board worth of switches to route the sounds around.

Also, in Multi-Player racing games...  there currently is no way to separate the multiple channels.   Because these were in individual seats.. the sounds were separated, and not easily heard by each other.   Without this, its an audio nightmare of a mess.

As for the numbers... find out.    Ohh.. wait... nobody is documenting this important stuff...

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 10:50:31 pm »
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/916363-arcade-games/faqs/9464

The Bally Midway engineers did something a bit clever with the trusty old
8910-- they used the extra I/O lines as outputs to control a vibrato/filter
system and a stereo panning system, this results in the SSIO producing
noticeably more interesting effects than a "vanilla" 8910.

The panning system is not present on all boards and is typically found in
MCR III based games like the "environmental" Discs of TRON and sit-down Spy
Hunter.

There is a ROM difference between the upright and environmental games.
The main difference between these two were:

1) The upright had no speech, special audio effects, or lighting effects.
   Apparently, some of the later versions DID have the speech boards added in.
2) The upright could support two player games
---

http://gameroomblog.com/reviews/rare-game-room-gems-environmental-discs-of-tron

Also the game boasted incredible sound, using state of the art surround sound when a disc flies past Tron on the screen you will hear it in the cabinet.

---

Vid of many of DOT's cabinet Pr0n features:

Vid showing a game feature Id never gotten to see:

At  6:55,   there are instructions that tell the player to shoot Rings on the Ceiling.   Id never seen this level before!   Very cool !!!
When you do this...  your Discs will bounce off the ceiling and on to one of the three platforms that you are opposite to.   If you hit the platforms enough times... they start to De-Rez (Vanish).    If you or Sark quickly jumps on them,  they return back to normal.  Otherwise.. they will completely vanish.

I really think they missed a great opportunity with this game... for a two player verses version of the game.
Id love to see someone hack this in..  at least to be able to over-ride Sark and control his actions.

Some other information on DOTs lighting and effects:
http://www.darkstararcade.com/mars/pages/DoT/