Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Internal support question from a newbie  (Read 1610 times)

biscuit001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 11:35:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Internal support question from a newbie
« on: June 24, 2013, 01:23:01 pm »
Hi all,

First, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post here. All the information has been so helpful!

I am a pretty technically minded guy but new to woodworking. I picked up a good router, jigsaw, some clamps, etc and started on a project modeled after RidicRick's cabinet here:
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?12476-ArchAngel-Arcade-New-Project! (four player cab with LCD display)

I've got all of my panels routed out (except for the control panel - still trying to figure out a jig to make a perfect ellipse for the router!) and am moving on to putting the cabinet together. If at all possible though, I would like to be able to take it apart to move it. I don't care how long it takes to break it all down as I don't expect to have to do it many times but it is going up a few flights of stairs and I would like it to be an option. Overall I'm more worried about keeping it super sturdy. The material is 3/4 melamine coated particle board by the way.

I've read quite a bit from other people asking similar questions and cabinet design in general and the approach I am considering is to frame out internal supports using 1x1, then lay the panels against those supports and secure with t-nuts perpendicular to the direction of the screws securing the 1x1 to the cab. I would like to recess the holes from the outside, into the 1x1, so that I could cover the holes and put some vinyl graphics on without seeing screw holes. Hopefully that makes sense  :-\

Does this sound like a decent approach? If not, can anyone recommend improvements?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Internal support question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »
I can say that is one hell of a big machine.  I would probably use 2x2 rather then 1x1.  it will make for a much sturdier framework. Good luck in the build, don't forget to post lots of pictures.

If you counter sink from the outside and cover with graphics you won't be able to take it apart. Use Nut Inserts and attach from the inside.

biscuit001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 11:35:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Internal support question from a newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
Thanks for the reply =)

Good point about the disassembly issue! I ran into this when building it. Obviously I'm new ... I was only considering the horizontal panels on the inside of the cabinet. Went with hex bolts, washers, and t-nuts for the removable parts along with with confirmat screws for the permanent parts.

I did end up using material closer to 2x2 (I think it's 1.5 or 1.75 squared). So far so good! I will get some pictures up for sure.

Having quite a bit of fun building this thing. It has been a bit overwhelming in parts but I'm getting through it. This place is an invaluable resource.