Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tablesaw advice (particularly portable tablesaws)?  (Read 1607 times)

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Tablesaw advice (particularly portable tablesaws)?
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:02:27 am »
Right now I mainly use a mitre saw and circular saw for most of my cuts.  Anything longer than 12 inches, I have to use the circular saw.  But I hate having to constantly set up the cuts, so I was thinking of getting a table saw of some kind to make cuts faster.

The idea of a portable table saw (like the DeWalt DW745) appeals to me, because I'd like something more compact that I can potentially store when not in use.  Or easily utilize in both my basement workshop and/or garage.

Any recommendations? Any pros/cons of portable table saws versus the more traditional variety?  Is stability an issue?

Budget is ~$500.  Ideally I'd like to buy something that will last.  Also I'm in Canada, so I'll need something I can get locally...

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Re: Tablesaw advice (particularly portable tablesaws)?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:19:45 am »
You should be able to do a quick search for this section of the forums as we've talked a few times on good Circular saws.  There are many things to consider.

If you're looking for portability here's the two I would consider (I realize you had one in your desc) -
Bosch - http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09-10-Inch-Worksite-Gravity-Rise/dp/B000S5S5CW/
Dewalt - http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6/

Things to remember are ripping an 8x4 section of MDF/Plywood by yourself on something like this is going to be very challenging/dangerous.  So even with this table saw you're still going to have to rip with your circular saw when you have larger sections of wood. 

Don't forget that with table saws you need to make sure you do adjustment/calibration.  Dangerous kick-back/in-accurate cuts can occur otherwise.

Personally, I would want to look at what I am doing.  If I am ripping a LOT of stuff, I would be interested in a panel saw.  If I am ripping a small amount of stuff, I would use a circular saw and a saw board.  If I am cutting a lot of 2-4 foot sections of wood, then a table saw might work well.

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: Tablesaw advice (particularly portable tablesaws)?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  I've been mainly looking at the DeWalt, Rigid and Bosch brands.  I'm now thinking maybe the DeWalt 744XRS instead of the 745.  More expensive, but I think the ideal of being able to wheel it around (esp. if I want to set up in my garage instead of my basement).

Most of what I work with are sheets of 4x2.  When I buy sheets of 8x4, I typically have them cut it into smaller pieces at the store.  Most of the rips I make with the circular saw are ~24-36 inches.

And I'm well familiar with kickback. ;)  I used to have a table saw inherited from my father (very old school model, no safety features).  It had a really wonky fence and I experienced kickback more than once with that thing.  Suffice to say, I don't have it anymore.