Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC spec Sound Off! Making processor chart.  (Read 31049 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:40 am
Re: PC spec Sound Off! Making processor chart.
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
Video card (GPU) plays a big role too.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 10:10:33 am
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »
Added some of the processors mentioned based upon comments about how they performed on the games listed.
Not real sure about the accuracy of the placement, but it will still give people a general idea.  :-\
I'm a bit confused at the processors more powerful than my own having trouble with California Speed.
It also sounds like there is less of a gap between SF Rush and Ridge Racer than I experience.
Maybe it's because I'm running v.137 (IIRC).

More likely the quality of your motherboard too.

Anyone run an AMD A-10 with Ridge racer? Please reply before I buy tomorrow!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »
Added some of the processors mentioned based upon comments about how they performed on the games listed.
Not real sure about the accuracy of the placement, but it will still give people a general idea.  :-\
I'm a bit confused at the processors more powerful than my own having trouble with California Speed.
It also sounds like there is less of a gap between SF Rush and Ridge Racer than I experience.

Being that the flagship Intel processors people have mentioned are just enough to run it, I doubt any AMD processor will.
I'm by no means an Intel fanboy.  Every computer in my house but my laptop has an AMD processor.
But flagship model to flagship model, Intel currently whips AMD bigtime.
Compare it on the processor charts on Tom's hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks,140.html
The 3.4 Ghz intels outperform the 4.2Ghz AMDs on most tasks.

I can't say that it won't run Ridge Racer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was choppy and had sound skips.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »

Being that the flagship Intel processors people have mentioned are just enough to run it, I doubt any AMD processor will.
I'm by no means an Intel fanboy.  Every computer in my house but my laptop has an AMD processor.
But flagship model to flagship model, Intel currently whips AMD bigtime.
Compare it on the processor charts on Tom's hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/benchmarks,140.html
The 3.4 Ghz intels outperform the 4.2Ghz AMDs on most tasks.

I can't say that it won't run Ridge Racer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was choppy and had sound skips.

OK well Im going to buy it and see. Worst case I use it in one of my other conversions, but at least well have another benchmark result :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »
OK well Im going to buy it and see. Worst case I use it in one of my other conversions, but at least well have another benchmark result :)

I'm anxious to see the results.  I hope it does run RR flawlessly.
You might want to check out Headkaze's Mame Compiler:
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mame&page=mc64

It makes it easier to compile a version of MAME optimized for your processor.
In the dropdown box below where it says "Optimized For", you can select Intel or AMD.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 09:21:21 am »
Just a quick update to say it actually works fine and at the correct speed. All 4 cores are at 100% and if anything else is running it suffers. This is without a custom build of mame so far.

Win 7 X64 Vanilla - Sp1 - SSD
.net 3
.net 4.5
DX9
DX10
DX11
C++ 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-10584a.html

Have to go out now but will be doing more later.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »
So close but no Cigar!

All ok in 1 player but as soon as you add in the helicopter, or more than one other car it lags. Not quite enough but very very close.

Looks like an i5 3.2 for me for my RR cabs.

MartinJames

• Offline Offline

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »
I got an phenom II x4 955 3.2ghz win7/64 radeon 5450 and 3 gb of ram and i think im right after rush 2049 turn green( i havent played it in a while, i should do it again to make sure my memory is right. supermodel plays 100% at a lower resolution. ridge racer play at a super slow speed.

hope that helps
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:44:44 pm by SegaOutrun »

MartinJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:03 am »
Sorry its taken a while to come back but after much testing I can confirm the absolute lowest spec machine to run Ridge Racer 1 2 or Rave Racer is........

Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4
1600Mhz RAM
Assus X61 Motherboard
On board Intel HD4000 graphics.

Runs 100% next to the arcade and as long as you don't load the system up with any background tasks doesnt glitch once.

HOWEVER

I am due to get the networking implemented and I don't know if this will introduce any more required cycles, so will keep you posted.

How do I know?
How do I know this is minimum? I bought a ton of hardware and spent hours testing. I also own a RR twin to compare with. Trust me - this is it.....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:06 am »
How do I know?
How do I know this is minimum? I bought a ton of hardware and spent hours testing. I also own a RR twin to compare with. Trust me - this is it.....

Much appreciated.  :cheers:

AMG KC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 05:33:52 am
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 04:42:17 pm »
LGA1366 i7 950 @3.07GHz, 6gigs of RAM in tripple channel and a GTX650Ti video card, runs Ridge Racer fine, and will run 13 or 14 instances of Nebula Model 2 (with a Daytona link and various other games ) all at once with no slowdown, provided nothing else runs with those 14...

LGA2011 i7 4820 @3.7GHz with 32gigs of RAM in quad channel and a GTX760 video card with easily run everything, i got to 23 instances of Nebula, Tekken 2 on Zinc, and a bluray disc playing before i got sick of it.

Windows 7 x64 on both. Hard to believe i built that top one over 5 years ago and its still more than i expected, changed video card last year cause they are so cheap now.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 04:23:11 am »
really? You replied to a post from May last year. Dumb...

AMG KC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 05:33:52 am
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2014, 06:53:59 pm »
Really? Is there any need to be so arrogant?

What is it with some people on forums that makes them think they are so awesome they have the right to speak down to others simply because they dont have anything better to do?

How does it affect you that i took the time to reply to this thread with some information i thought might be relevant? Since i dont see anywhere on the list where any sort of high end CPU has been added... Would you rather a new thread was started so all the same info was reposted again and again?

What is it about that that warrants such an ignorant response from you? And name calling??? I stopped doing that in primary school....

So maybe you can explain how exactly is it dumb? I dont really see this forum pumping with excitement, and if people cant reply to posts regardless of starting date without being mocked for it i can see exactly why.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:06:27 pm by AMG KC »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »
Ok relax a bit mate,

I think it's dumb to reply the posts which are dead in the water nearly a year ago, I didn't call you names.
Feel free to continue bringing posts back from the dead if it makes you so happy  :applaud:
I never figured that a high end cpu would run these games at full speed so it's good you let us know!!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:25:51 pm by Boomslang »

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 12:43:02 pm »
Ok relax a bit mate,

I think it's dumb to reply the posts which are dead in the water nearly a year ago, I didn't call you names.
Feel free to continue bringing posts back from the dead if it makes you so happy  :applaud:
I never figured that a high end cpu would run these games at full speed so it's good you let us know!!!

And you would be wrong. This post is required reading for anyone slapping together a dedicated race cab. Some info is gold for a long, long time. In fact, I'm going to the recyclery today to get a race cab PC. Thanks for all the info from those who did the work.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
Sure, if you are using old parts.  If you are using new ones, on the other hand.....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 01:31:31 pm »
The big thing I wanted to get across in that chart which still holds true is that processor speed matters.

A lot of noobs will ask "will an i5 be good for MAME?"
Well, is it a 2.2Ghz i5 or a 4Ghz i5?  There is a huge difference when it comes to MAME.

I can only guess it's because clock speeds stopped being listed in advertisements when they stagnated.

My big shortcoming on this chart is that I seemed to have not listed the revision of MAME being used.
The latest versions are much more demanding than the v140's, which were much more demanding than the v120's, which were much more demanding than v.106.....
I bet the processors listed on the chart will no longer run Ridge Racer full speed on the current version of MAME.

Still it gets the point across that you need a flagship processor to run Ridge Racer in MAME.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:34:22 pm by BadMouth »

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:29 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »
Hm... Interesting my i7-4790 runs ridgeracer between 90% and 130% (depending on the amount of models on the screen)
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.