Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Alpha One - renovation to a SHMUP Tribute cab  (Read 14951 times)

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 03:12:58 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: Alpha One - renovation to a SHMUP Tribute cab
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »
What I do is get the image as close to final in photoshop because the tools are a lot quicker and easier to work with, then port the image over to illustrator, auto-trace and clean-up, then export a PDF for printing. It's my tried and true process that has been working really well for me.

I do this as well when I need to have a vector image. I've tried and tried to figure out vector composition, but I only get frustrated.

This is looking amazing btw. :cheers:

floriske.nl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2015, 01:17:21 pm
  • I am building my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »
Yup, you're right! But as I stated earlier, I will be vectorizing it as a final pass before print. Photoshop is much quicker for me to get the image completed from scratch. I can't stand drawing or painting in illustrator, it tends to become tedious, pulling points and handles all around.
What I do is get the image as close to final in photoshop because the tools are a lot quicker and easier to work with, then port the image over to illustrator, auto-trace and clean-up, then export a PDF for printing. It's my tried and true process that has been working really well for me.
Ok clear! I tend to forget not everyone making this type of great looking artwork is a graphic designer ;)

Reckon it's just a matter of what type of workflow you are used to. I myself am a lot quicker with illustrator for this type of work but that's quite obvious for someone working with it on a daily basis.

Anyway, it's looking great and that's what counts  :applaud:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »
Reckon it's just a matter of what type of workflow you are used to. I myself am a lot quicker with illustrator for this type of work but that's quite obvious for someone working with it on a daily basis.
Yup, I use Photoshop on the daily and am most proficient at it. Now-a-days I basically use Illustrator as a final step to quickly getting what I can achieve in Photoshop ready for physical media. The Smart Layers feature is a really good one for crossing between Illustrator and PS, and it's one of the things I use all the time.
In the end, it's all about hours spent...and if I can get the same look at half the time, then my job is done efficiently :)
Thanks for the comments!

I do this as well when I need to have a vector image. I've tried and tried to figure out vector composition, but I only get frustrated.

This is looking amazing btw. :cheers:
Thanks bud!  Your Flying Shark is up next! ;)

Nephasth

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
Mmmm... Shmup cab... :drool

I've always liked your art! :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »
Progress bump?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
I got nuthin'. :(
The last few months have been really busy unfortunately, and I haven't even thought about A1 for the last little while.
Basically my wife and I just had a "renewal-of-vows" wedding (we eloped the first time and did the whole court wedding thing) ,so we had a lot of work to do the last few months.

I'm looking to pick up where I left off very soon! Thanks for the bump Neph!  :cheers:

*edit: Scratch that, looks like I'll have to put this on hold a little longer. Got a couple fellow members asking me about art commissions!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:26:51 pm by opt2not »

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »
Hope to see some progress on this project soon! I really like the idea and hopefully it doesn't end up in project hell along w/ my Cenitpede. :(

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 11:04:54 pm »
Seriously, you don't want to fall behind the progress of my Raiden cab... aw, who am I kidding? I'll be happy if I finish up this decade.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:36:46 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »
Any updates? I might be picking up a gutted, empty Centipede and want to do the same thing (shmup cab).
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »
Any updates? I might be picking up a gutted, empty Centipede and want to do the same thing (shmup cab).

Well, unfortunately this project has taken on a different path.

I ended up having to sell the cabinet after getting laid-off from my previous employment, due to lack of unforeseen incoming funds. It was stored at the office, so instead going through the hassle of bringing it home to not work on, I ended up selling it to a friend who's planning on restoring it back to Centipede.

So what does this mean for this project?  It's still alive.
I plan on using this theme, the artwork, and some of the ideas generated here for another project. Mainly because the name and art ideas are going to be awesome! But as it stands, the Centipede cab isn't going to be the box it'll be applied to.
My plans are going to now revolve around a more small-form project. Possibly a mini, possibly a bartop.  Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the former.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:36:46 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:35 pm »
Bummer. Well, at least the project will live on!

I'm hopefully going to be getting a conpletely gutted and stripped Centipede. I've already brought one back from the dead, so for this one, I'd like to use it as a SHMUP cab.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 04:57:47 pm »
Can you repost the images?  Imgur seems to have ditched them.  My centipede that was converted to a neo geo than gutted and is now a shmups cab needs so love in the cp and marquee and I'm looking for inspiration.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »
Can you repost the images?  Imgur seems to have ditched them.  My centipede that was converted to a neo geo than gutted and is now a shmups cab needs so love in the cp and marquee and I'm looking for inspiration.

The only images not showing up is the ones for some early Galaga artwork I created.   I'm going to post a more up-to-date image of the art, as soon as it's done. :)

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »

:cry:

Best of luck... gotta put those SHMUP PCBs in something... sorry to hear about the layoff.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »

Best of luck... gotta put those SHMUP PCBs in something... sorry to hear about the layoff.
Thanks bud. And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about what I owe you too.  Lets just say Q1 of this year is going to be settling up things I promised people I'd get done, before I take care of myself.  ;)

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:07 pm »

Thanks bud. And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about what I owe you too.  Lets just say Q1 of this year is going to be settling up things I promised people I'd get done, before I take care of myself.  ;)
[/quote

Ah, no worries.  Glad to hear the cab found a good home and is going to be restored.