Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-Arcade at MIT  (Read 1646 times)

gryhnd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
X-Arcade at MIT
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:12:02 pm »
Just got back from the MIT Museum today, and guess what my eyes did behold? A crudely mod'd X-Arcade being used to control this exhibit:

http://web.mit.edu/museum/exhibitions/samplingmit/GAMBIT.html

In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

gryhnd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
Re: X-Arcade at MIT
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »
The game list.

In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »
I thought those kids kitted together their own gear....
-Banned-

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
I thought those kids kitted together their own gear....

Depends on the goal of whomever assembled it. The article has this to say (I added the emphasis):
The GAMBIT Game Lab is part of Comparative Media Studies , the largest humanities major at MIT. Comparative Media Studies and the GAMBIT Game Lab have grown out of MIT's longstanding commitment to the study of media in fields as diverse as engineering, mathematics, filmmaking, architecture, and the visual arts.

This exhibit includes several of the games developed by MIT students in the summer of 2010, in collaboration with students from Singapore.

So while MIT does have an engineering department, the focus was actually on the software developed by er... software engineers who likely have little to no understanding of the underlying hardware involved. Or the students might have been in a time crunch and did not have the time to assemble the needed hardware from scratch and simply resorted to using off-the-shelf components.

Also, the games came from Singapore. So they might not have even have access to the hardware we have here. I dunno.  :dunno