Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building my control board, suggestions appreciated  (Read 1269 times)

mrserv0n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 09:20:06 pm
Building my control board, suggestions appreciated
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:19:05 pm »
I am so in envy of some of your guys machines I instantly was drawn into this project when I came across these on the web. So few questions

I was gonna go with those 8 way sticks from happ controls for 10 bucks each. Looked like that was the norm on most systems ive seen on the web. And budget is somewhat of an issue but I will make adjustments if it is necessary. So what control sticks do I want to buy? Do I want 360 degree ones? I am MOSTLY doing fighting games and beat em ups.
Heres a link to the ones I was thinking  http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/ultimate_joy.htm

And the buttons I chose the Ultimate Pushbuttons with microswitch http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/539200xx.htm
Do I want those or the competitive ones Shown here http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5896xxl.htm or do I want something else?

Where do I buy the wiring for the joysticks and buttons to the board?

Lastly I am going with the I-PAQ 4 as my keyboard emulator from what I read this is the best choice for my 4 player setup.

Suggestions please post them here or email me mrserv0n18@aol.com
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:21:34 pm by mrserv0n »

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Building my control board, suggestions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:40:20 pm »
I used to have the Happ Competition joysticks but I didn't like the square restrictor on them in 8-way mode.  Made it very difficult to hit cardinal directions (was always catching a diagonal).  Games like Gauntlet were a pain in the ass.  I swapped them out for Happ Supers and have been very happy with those.  The competition pushbuttons are pretty standard and work well.

For the wiring, I used 8 conductor wire (came on a small spool at radio shack) similar to this:
http://www.smarthome.com/8460.html

Make sure you PM 'divemaster' or 'ponyboy' on these boards to buy the Happs stuff.  They are resellers and sell much cheaper than Happs, plus they don't rape you on shipping charges.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:53:33 pm »
I've used:

X-arcades 8 way
P360's 8 way
Wico 8way and 4 way
Magstik+ 4/8 switchable
Supers 8 way

The Wico is great for 4 and 8 way, but hard to find. All my current machines use Super 8 ways and I prefer them for my joysticks.

For the wiring, I've used the wiring spools from Home Depot in the doorbell department and thats worked fine. On my last machine I used wiring from a network cable soldered to the contacts and it's also working fine.

mrserv0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:49:05 pm »
Thanks guys I ordered those competitive buttons. As for the sticks The Super 8 a reasonable  price and I will take your word on them since you both have experience. Only thing is there only black... Not to sound lame but it kinda messes my theme up LOL.
What does # Change actuation to 4-way or 8-way simply by flipping actuator over  - mean?  I don't know the terminology. Is this a pain to do?

Another Question, What are your thoughts on the 49 ways or 360s? Do they interfere with the typical 4/8 way games ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:55:47 pm by mrserv0n »

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 01:01:15 am »
I believe you can get aftermarket balltops to replace the black bat handles on the Supers.  Then you can get them color coordinated.  Just search for 'balltop super handles' and you should find them.

EDIT: here they are: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=57055.0

The other joysticks you mentioned are excellent all-around joysticks (probably the best), but they are pricy and the 49 way requires a separate encoder like the one from Groovygamegear.com.  If you are really mostly playing fighters, I doubt you will need the extra flexibility those give you.

mrserv0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:56:12 pm »
Well This is not only going to be MAME but also running SNES GEN NEO and all the other emulations. Including N64 so do you think the 8 way will still do the job or should I do a 360.

Also If I do have the 360 does that have a hard time registering moves on 8 ways or 4 ways finding the correct angle?

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:40:52 am »
Well This is not only going to be MAME but also running SNES GEN NEO and all the other emulations. Including N64 so do you think the 8 way will still do the job or should I do a 360.

Also If I do have the 360 does that have a hard time registering moves on 8 ways or 4 ways finding the correct angle?

There are P360's and U360's(and lets not even touch Xbox360). Which 360 are you talking about?

mrserv0n

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:57:46 am »
Actually I seen that they were 60 bucks that will mess up my budget too bad for 4 of them so I am going to go with the Super 8 ways. They sound good enough and from what I read people are happy
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 03:07:52 am by mrserv0n »