Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Led Strip Wiring Help Info  (Read 1580 times)

MarkyB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2019, 02:54:43 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Led Strip Wiring Help Info
« on: November 17, 2019, 03:42:39 am »
Hi to all,

Haven't been on the forum for sometime, just started building my second bartop arcade  :)

Just need some advice as to how to wire led strips to light up the marque please?

I am running a Raspberry Pi, and my buttons are 5 volt.

Ideally I would like the led's to plug into mains power, inside the bartop, how do I go about doing this?

Can someone put me onto led strip lights to buy please, that will work.

Thanks for your help  :)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Led Strip Wiring Help Info
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:17:53 am »
If you want them to run from inside then you will want to do something like Javeryh did with his bartop.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157460.msg1657019.html#msg1657019  you then have a 12v wallwart that runs power up to the marquee.  Use a plain White light strip something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/pack-WHITE-Super-Bright-Strips/dp/B01BQQ2DZG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=12+volt+led+strip&qid=1573982072&sr=8-2

And roberts your mothers brother :)

Any reason you don't want to run your lights from 5v USB?

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:46:39 am »
If you want them to run from inside then you will want to do something like Javeryh did with his bartop.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157460.msg1657019.html#msg1657019  you then have a 12v wallwart that runs power up to the marquee.  Use a plain White light strip something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/pack-WHITE-Super-Bright-Strips/dp/B01BQQ2DZG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=12+volt+led+strip&qid=1573982072&sr=8-2

And roberts your mothers brother :)

Any reason you don't want to run your lights from 5v USB?

Hi there, thanks for your advice.

I was thinking about re-wiring and using a battery inside the cabinet, have to have a rethink  :)

Would the 5v usb led strip be bright enough though to illuminate marquee?, would be the easiest way, and
plug usb straight into usb on powersurge smart strip :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:51:40 am by MarkyB »

J_K_M_A_N

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:05:50 am
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 07:52:58 am »
Personally, I used this LED strip and these strip connectors. That way you can add as many strips as you need and they all plug into one spot. Also, the plug in came with a dimmer, so you can get the right amount of light without washing the marquee out. It is another plug in though.

J_K_M_A_N

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 08:35:29 am »
Personally, I used this LED strip and these strip connectors. That way you can add as many strips as you need and they all plug into one spot. Also, the plug in came with a dimmer, so you can get the right amount of light without washing the marquee out. It is another plug in though.

J_K_M_A_N

Those led's look the business, so you can't just plug and play the led's into a surge protector with the plug?

How do you wire to the strip connectors please, sorry but I am a electrical novice  :)

J_K_M_A_N

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:05:50 am
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 10:14:10 am »
The strip has a barrel connector for the power supply. Just connect the plug in to the dimmer and then to the barrel supply. Then you can cut the LED strip about every 2-3". You can see the lines on where you can cut. Then use the strip connectors to extend. Here is how I did it.

The top picture is the right side and the bottom is the left side. Power connects on the lower right and goes left on that strip. Then I used the strip connectors to go to the next strip and I just looped back and forth. The LED strip also has a sticky backing that works pretty well. The second picture shows an arrow to where you can cut the strip.

J_K_M_A_N

MarkyB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »
The strip has a barrel connector for the power supply. Just connect the plug in to the dimmer and then to the barrel supply. Then you can cut the LED strip about every 2-3". You can see the lines on where you can cut. Then use the strip connectors to extend. Here is how I did it.

The top picture is the right side and the bottom is the left side. Power connects on the lower right and goes left on that strip. Then I used the strip connectors to go to the next strip and I just looped back and forth. The LED strip also has a sticky backing that works pretty well. The second picture shows an arrow to where you can cut the strip.

J_K_M_A_N

Thanks for your help, and for the photo's  8)

Much Appreciated, looks straight forward enough  :)