Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any Plans To Add MameHub Server Into GroovyMame?  (Read 2533 times)

lettuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
Any Plans To Add MameHub Server Into GroovyMame?
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:59:40 pm »
As title really any plans to implement MameHub online side of things into GroovyMame, or even add in GM own online multiplayer??

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Any Plans To Add MameHub Server Into GroovyMame?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:24 pm »
MameHub makes no sense with GroovyMAME.

GroovyMAME is for people who can't stand to play games with blurring, ghosting, smearing, or choppy refresh rates.

It's for perfectionists.

Why would you bother going through all the effort to perfect the experience and then play with someone over the internet with a 200ms ping? It makes absolutely no sense.

GroovyMAME is for people who have no tolerance for crappy stuff that doesn't work perfectly.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:16 am »
Well I have no past experience with MameHub only other than the latest version which I have only downloaded recently and had no problems with it what so ever in terms of connecting and playing with other people and on the whole had connection speeds of 120ms ping!, so I was pleasantly with that. Considering I used to be able to play and be good at Counter Strike on the PC with a much higher ping, 120ms is fine, I don't thinking 80% of mame users have a reaction speed anywhere near that fast anyways. But the 10 or so games I've played of WindJammers have been perfectly fine in MameHub, my only concern is I can't seem to get HLSL effect to work with it  :embarassed:

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »
I think it makes perfect sense with any kind of MAME.  Many arcade games are way more fun with other people around.  Beat-em-ups are no fun alone.  Playing against the AI in a fighting game isn't quite the same either.  That's why I always end up having to stick to fighters that have online play on PSN.

The only problem here is that I can't see myself running a separate MAME build for it besides GroovyMAME.  Calamity already has a lot on his plate though.  I wonder if a patch made by a third party could be used to add this to any build you like.

Oh, and the other problem is not enough people on.  That's why I use PSN instead of GGPO or something like that.  We would need to spread the word around.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:52:18 pm by rCadeGaming »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2024, 07:56:16 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »
I wonder if a patch made by a third party could be used to add this to any build you like.

Yes, that would be the way to go.

I'd definitely like to focus on the custom video part and keep the patch as "simple" as possible. It's already a pain to build it over the -hiscore/-nag_screen patch instead of the raw MAME source.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »
It's already a pain to build it over the -hiscore/-nag_screen patch instead of the raw MAME source.
But we really appreciate you having that in there :)

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »
That we do.    :cheers: