Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Marquee Question  (Read 1117 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
Marquee Question
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:50:19 pm »
I'm getting ready to order my marquee from MameMarquees and I'm not sure how tall I should order it.  The total height of the marquee area is 6.5" which includes the two 0.75" panels on top and bottom.  The "void" where the light goes is only 5" tall.  I am going to be using the Happ Marquee Retainer on the top and bottom to hold it in place.  How tall should the marquee be? 

I'm thinking I should order it to be 6.5" tall and make sure there isn't any art in the 0.75" space on the top and bottom and then just trim it to fit but I'm not sure how easy it is to trim these things once they are printed.  Are they like vellum or a thicker plastic that I might have to score with a razor and then snap off?

Thanks!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Marquee Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:42:58 pm »
You're right on with the larger 6.5" measurement.  The Happ retainer goes on the outside of the top and bottom wood pieces and so the the marquee will rest on the bottom retainer piece approximately even with the bottom 3/4" wood piece (does that make sense?).  The lip on the retainer does cover up some of the marquee artwork as you said, so you will lose a little bit of it behind the lip when mounted.  I can measure that amount of lip space if you want when I get home.  Personally, I would make it a tad under 6.5" (maybe 6.25") to make sure it's not too tall, yet still plenty high enough to be covered by the marquee retainers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:49:05 pm by ahofle »

releasedtruth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 04:52:02 pm »
Don't you pay for 12" in height no matter what with mamemarquees? I used the whole 12" even though I only needed 6", just made some other items that would look cool backlit. Just a thought.

GT

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:49:49 pm »
MAMEMARQUEE's regular material is like a thick photo paper....

Their "ultra" stuff that they charge an extra $10 for is more vinylish (if that's a word)...

I have both kinds ...the first I printed was on the high end stuff then I tried the lower end stuff...I like the higher end stuff.

The lower end material looks good but pretty much requires 2 pieces of plexiglass whereas the higher end stuff only required one piece of plexiglass... and seems much more durable (not that you will be taking out the marquee over and over again).
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 06:20:41 pm »
Since you have seen both, is there much difference in lighting the two?  I imagine the 'ultra' one looks better?  I'm about to order one from them.

releasedtruth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 01:22:15 am »
The premium is known as Waterfast backlit in the business. It's far better. White on the back and holds a nice saturation of color. mamemarquees does better than most with it too.

GT

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 11:03:53 pm »
So you're saying the cheaper "premium" one is better than the "ultimate" (which is $10 more expensive)?

From their site:
The PREMIUM marquee is the same award winning material that we have been printing on for over 3 years.

The new ULTIMATE Marquee is for people who want it all! They are printed on the same type of backlight material that you would find on today’s arcades and then laminated with a luster laminate for a great finish.