Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc A-PAC or U-HID ... for Pinball + Arcade  (Read 1200 times)

ltek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2023, 06:17:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ultimarc A-PAC or U-HID ... for Pinball + Arcade
« on: May 23, 2023, 09:52:21 pm »
A-PAC has built-in connections for many more buttons than the 'stock' KL25Z with connection board (like from Cleveland)

U-HID controls LEDs ... I use basic LED buttons (Zero Delay encoder runs them now) but will not add flashy lights, etc. Maybe add (prob not) a shaker motor. I have Solenoids but dont like them - they dont sound realistic and I've tried several mounting methods (which changes the tone a lot)... I think the SSF sounds far more real.

I want to put on a pinball plunger with 10k 100mm potentiometer. Not doing Tilt bob, real coin chutes, or real nudge / accelerometer.

Also...

*Launch/Close apps using button holds/press
Right now I use Joy2Key to map some button sequences to open/close windows apps
Example...  ''Select" button hold for 3 seconds (mapped to ATL key) + "Play" button opens app (PinUp Popper frontend).

*LED Control
I want to be able to turn on/off each LED (inside the buttons) separately or all at once
... all at once at least for when not playing a game, but the system is on (for whatever reason like maintenance)
... individually when a specific app is open but does not use those buttons, they go dark.

... not sure if I can do that with wither Pinscape or Ultimarc?

thx!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 03:13:32 pm by ltek »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:17:44 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Ultimarc I-PAC Ultimate - analog inputs? Pinball Plunger?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 10:48:07 pm »
considering getting an Ultimarc I-PAC Ultimate but I dont see anything stating it can take analog inputs... I want to put on a pinball plunger with 10k 100mm potentiometer.
The Ult. I/O has microswitch and optical (spinner/trackball) inputs, but doesn't have any analog inputs.

You'll need an analog encoder for your plunger potentiometer.

You can use an A-Pac, a U-HID, or roll your own using an Arduino -- a 32u4 board like the Pro Micro would be a good choice -- with a suitable gamepad firmware.

Before choosing which analog encoder to use, you may want to work through the "What type of build meets my needs?" entry in the FAQ.   ;D

Depending on your desired setup, you can use an Ult. I/O for most of your controls and an analog encoder for the plunger.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:54:29 pm by PL1 »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:12:40 am
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 12:41:49 am »
Are you putting an analog pinball plunger on a standup arcade or a dedicated pinball cabinet? 

Either way I guess, I'd look into the Pinscape setup using a KL25Z board.   http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/index.html

You'll get inputs for flipper buttons, analog plunger, and even an onboard accelerometer for nudging support.  (and there are a ton of addons if you want to truly go down the VPin rabbit hole).  I use the basic board in my pinball cabinet.  Used a real pinball plunger (Williams style I think) and 3d printed a frame I found on thingiverse to mount the linear potentiometer. 

ltek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 12:35:17 pm »
Yes, this is Pinball Cabinet (2k playfield + 1080p backbox) and plays vertical MAME arcade (works now and love it!). I'm running it now on a cheap USB Zero Delay Encoder but want more buttons.

A-PAC has built-in connections for many more buttons than the 'stock' KL25Z with connection board (like from Cleveland)
U-HID controsl LEDs ... I use basic LED buttons (Zero Delay encoder runs them now) but will not add flashy lights, etc. Maybe add (prob not) a shaker motor. I have Solenoids but dont like them - they dont sound realistic and I've tried several mounting methods (which changes the tone a lot)... I think the SSF sounds far more real.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 12:45:41 pm by ltek »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 01:31:02 pm »
So..   I've got:
Plunger
Ball Launch (for those tables that don't support a plunger)
Flippers
Magna-Save
Start
Exit
Extra Ball
Tilt (real title bob)
Coin in (real coin chutes too)
Service buttons (four of them on the coin door)
Coin Door Open

And shift-button support, just like an Ipac.   All running off a single KL25z board.

It sounds like you've got a hybrid cabinet - meaning there is a joystick and regular arcade buttons) You can keep the zero-delay encoder hooked up for the arcade controls (joystick + buttons) if you want alongside the KL25z.   They're just USB input devices.  You can have multiples. 

If you want to go down the A-Pac route, don't let me stop you.  Do they have accelerometers at this point for nudge support?  I thought only the IPAC ultimate had that.

ltek

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 02:54:06 pm »
mostly yes... not doing Tilt bob, real coin chutes, or real nudge / accelerometer.

Also...

*Launch/Close apps using button holds/press
Right now I use Joy2Key to map some button sequences to open/close windows apps
Example...  ''Select" button hold for 3 seconds (mapped to ATL key) + "Play" button opens app (PinUp Popper frontend).

*LED Control
I want to be able to turn on/off each LED (inside the buttons) separately or all at once
... all at once at least for when not playing a game, but the system is on (for whatever reason like maintenance)
... individually when a specific app is open but does not use those buttons, they go dark.

... not sure if I can do that with wither Pinscape or Ultimarc?

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 02:59:24 pm »
I don't know about the LED on/off stuff.   On my standup arcades, I use LEDBlinky w/ the Ultimarc iPAC Ultimate board to control RBG LED buttons.

The button lights in my PinCab are static - they just turn on/off with the PC power supply.  They run off the +5 vdc line.  I may switch them to controlled LEDs at some point.

ltek

• Offline Offline
Re: Ultimarc A-PAC or U-HID ... for Pinball + Arcade
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 06:47:57 pm »
@Fursphere what KL25Z add-on/connector board(s) are you using?  KL25Z itself is only $60 I dont want to solder stuff (I can but dont want to). Boards from places like Arnoz or Cleveland Software get expensive fast... the KL/Pinscape board + service buttons are $150 and then you still need to buy buttons, make wires, etc. The A-PAC (wiring but no soldering) is $40 and U-HID (with wiring harness) is $80.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 08:01:28 pm »
No add on boards.  Just a stock KL25z. 

I bought Dupont headers off Amazon and just wired everything up.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:17:55 am
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 12:25:12 am »
I cannot even imagine an arcade project without soldering... It's like pretending to fix a car without wrenches  :)