Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Odd behavior from a screen protector applied to DS Lite  (Read 1032 times)

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
Odd behavior from a screen protector applied to DS Lite
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:41:21 am »
The wife has been complaining about her screen protector's state of disrepair for quite some time now so I decided to swap it out for her tonight.

I pull the old one off, clean the screen then apply the new one by going right to left smoothing it on with a straight piece of plastic to remove the bubbles that always seem to show up.  It looked pretty damn good I must say.

Then the touch screen stopped working.  By "stopped working" I mean the touch functionality did now work whatsoever.  I could press on the screen so hard the colors would squish and swirl and still no response even on the calibration screen.

So I pulled it of.  Touchscreen works again.  I put the screen protector back on but by this point it's got fuzzies and whatnot on the sticky side so I put much less effort into making it look nice applying it only with my finger.  There's a few bubbles and lifting near the edges but it was on there.  Care to guess what happens now?

If you guessed that it didn't work again, you're wrong.  It worked.  Calibration went without a hitch and the calibration verification screen that follows did just that, verified that the calibration was good and everything else worked just fine as well.

Needless to say, I'm quite confused as to the cause of the malfunction but am ecstatic that I didn't break my wife's DS.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Odd behavior from a screen protector applied to DS Lite
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:45 am »
I was considering putting a protector on my wife's DS, but wasn't sure if it would cause any problems. She takes pretty good care of hers, so I guess I won't worry about it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:24 am »

One of the neighbor's kids keeps dropping his DS in my yard and going home without it.  His parents get tetchy when that happens like we're going to keep it or something.   :P

dafelandry

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 12:08:40 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:07:11 pm »
Had the same problem.... some 3rd party screen protectors simple suck ass!! that and you may have installed it incorrectly... some of those protectors have a very thin film on each side that can definatly screw up the touch screen (done it myself) glad its fixed tho!!

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »
never had any issie with the one's I use I can get a pic of the box they come in but for the issue of yours that is really weird but you may ruin the two bottom screens by pressing it to hard.

the screen protector should not harm the response of the stylus at all and if so the protector is no good becuase mine dont bother it at all display or response wise

I am pretty sure I got a new top toach screen and like 3-4 box's of the protectors of dealextreme for like $10.00 shipped

sure it takes 2 weeks to get to the states but now I am set screen wise for at least two years and the screens will alway's look new and if the top toach screen ever got used up I now have a new space one of them also.

there is actually two screen on the bottom and only one of the top 2 lcd screens and 1 toach screen.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:43:58 pm by northerngames »