Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rolling picture in games!  (Read 1807 times)

ZippySLC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2003, 08:15:00 am
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
Rolling picture in games!
« on: July 10, 2003, 01:06:14 am »
Hopefully someone can help!

I have an ArcadeVGA running under WinXP and MAMEWAH. My Windows desktop and MAMEWAH display fine, but when I run a game, I need to adjust the VHold to get a stable picture. When I exit from the game, MAMEWAH scrolls.

My monitor is a WG 19K7601 if that helps out. I've tried MAME and SmoothMAME with the same results. Is there a command line switch that will force it to use 60hz for the display of _all_ games?

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Rolling picture in games!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 12:40:39 pm »
Hopefully someone can help!

I have an ArcadeVGA running under WinXP and MAMEWAH. My Windows desktop and MAMEWAH display fine, but when I run a game, I need to adjust the VHold to get a stable picture. When I exit from the game, MAMEWAH scrolls.

My monitor is a WG 19K7601 if that helps out. I've tried MAME and SmoothMAME with the same results. Is there a command line switch that will force it to use 60hz for the display of _all_ games?

Just to tie these together... here's my thread on this issue ArcadeVGA VHOLD Sweet Spot?

pyronius's smoothmame post on ultimarc

my thread on ultimarc board

*shrug*  I'll get to work on this more tonight and report back.

Rampy

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Rolling picture in games!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 10:45:43 am »
I'll cross post my update from the ultimarc board ####

Hello:

I finally got over to my buddies garage to try and find that sweet spot on the VHOLD pot for different resolutions.

If you're in the DOS world (like I currently am) I highly reccommend getting the latest build of dmame (71b) as noted in another thread here it does a MUCH better job of choosing the appropriate resolution based upon what your video card says it can handle. (example: previously invoking sf2 on the vertical monitor (i.e. letterboxed) MAME would choose a resolution that was out of bounds for the AVGA card. Now with dmame .71 it chooses a more correct resolution of 640x480 interlaced mode... i think anyways -- at least it shows up)

I tinkered some and DID find a sweet spot that worked for vertical games (on a vert monitor!) AND 640x480 interlaced stuff (oddly it almost felt like there was a detent when the pot reached the semi-magice spot) ... So switching from MS Pacman to Game Launcher to Galaga or Pheonix to Gamelauncher to SFIICE is not rolling.  (of course I have other artifacts/bowing to contend with due to the age/calibration of the monitor but that's a story for a different thread)

I did try forcing 800x600 just to see and THAT scrolled like crazy -- so i'm not out of the woods yet... but I *hope* I can reasonably coax most of the games to work sans constant adjustment.  So it seems I sorta have a compromise ... and maybe if I it isn't perfect I can utilize the smoothmame suggestion  (scroll up for pyronious thread on smoothmame and AVGA)

I didn't get a chance to try too many more before disaster struck.  The Boot drive got fux0red (like sparks/schorch mark and toasted components fux0red -- fdisk/reformat isn't gonna help this puppy!)

So, I hope that's mildly encouraging for the others out there that have a simliar issue.

Rampy