Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help -- ArcadeVGA breakout cable + WG 19K7601  (Read 3165 times)

ZippySLC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2003, 08:15:00 am
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
Help -- ArcadeVGA breakout cable + WG 19K7601
« on: June 30, 2003, 11:53:31 pm »
I just got my ArcadeVGA, IPAC, and breakout cable today! As soon as the buttons and sticks show up from Happ, I can start working on the control panel.

But first I need to get my monitor connected to my ArcadeVGA card. Here's the thing:

The monitor has these wires coming out of it (on the video side)

White
Black
Blue
Green
Red

-- sounds easy enough, right?

Well, the ArcadeVGA cable has this mess:

Black (labeled G)
Black (labeled R)
Purple (labeled H)
Dk. Brown (labeled V)
Lt. Brown (labeled V)
Blue (labeled +)
White, Green, Red, Yellow, Pink, Orange (bundled together, labeled - )

So... what goes where? Why do I not have a "B" wire coming from my breakout cable?

I read the docs on the Ultimarc CD but they weren't all that helpful.

Pyronious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 09:52:25 pm
  • Klatuu... Verata... Necktie.
    • Pyronious.com
Re:Help -- ArcadeVGA breakout cable + WG 19K7601
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 01:17:53 am »
I'm sorry I can't definitively answer your question, but I'll bet you'll get an answer MUCH faster over at Ultimarc's message board:

http://www.mameworld.net/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl?action=list&Board=mameworldultimarc

I will say this:

On your monitor, the R, G, and B cables are the red, green and blue color channels.

The black cable is ground.

The white cable is composite sync.

VGA typically separates horizontal and vertical sync into two wires.  From my experience with the Dreamcast VGA box, these two wires can be twisted together and connected to composite sync on the monitor.

The trick, of course, is to figure out which of the wires on your breakout connector are R, G, B, ground, and sync.

If you have an ohm meter handy, you can check your cable against the standard VGA connector on the other end.  The VGA pinout is as follows:

1 RED PC-to-monitor Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
2 GREEN PC-to-monitor Green Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
3 BLUE PC-to-monitor Blue Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
4 ID2 Monitor-to-PC Monitor ID Bit 2
5 GND N/A Ground
6 RGND N/A Red Ground
7 GGND N/A Green Ground
8 BGND N/A Blue Ground
9 KEY N/A Key (No pin)
10 SGND N/A Sync Ground
11 ID0 Monitor-to-PC Monitor ID Bit 0
12 ID1 or SDA Monitor-to-PC Monitor ID Bit 1
13 HSYNC or CSYNC PC-to-monitor Horizontal Sync (or Composite Sync)
14 VSYNC PC-to-monitor Vertical Sync
15 ID3 or SCL Monitor-to-PC Monitor ID Bit 3

Here's a link with pictures: http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/VGA.htm

Good luck.  I know how much it sucks to have the hardware but lack a crucial piece of information.

P.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 10:41:04 am »
from the install docs...  sound like maybe one connector is mislabled (maybe by process of elimination you can figure it out? or the multimeter readings suggested by pyronius)

If your monitor has a single sync input (composite sync) you can connect the H-Sync and V-Sync wires together. The ArcadeVGA card always sends negative H and V sync in all video modes, so this method works fine. The connections on the VGA breakout cable are marked as follows:
R, G, B = colours
H = horizontal sync. H and V sync can normally be connected together for most monitors to produce composite sync.
V = vertical sync
- = ground
+ = 5 volts. This connection must be insulated if not used.

Since you aren't using a separate video amp disregard the wire labled + / blue (and insulate it).  the problem unless you just typo'd woudl appear to be the duplication in the "V;s"...   I'd email andy directly and ask him to match the colors/functions from another cable to clear up the labeling question.

*shrug*  good luck (if I had access to my breakout cable I'd look it up for you but don't ATM)

rampy

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 11:02:14 am »
I am assuming that it's a typo. I guess that the black and white leads going to the monitor are for H and V sync and not volgate... :)

So the question is, which is blue - dark brown or light brown?

I guess I will ask on the Ultimarc boards.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 01:54:07 pm »
I am assuming that it's a typo. I guess that the black and white leads going to the monitor are for H and V sync and not volgate... :)

So the question is, which is blue - dark brown or light brown?

I guess I will ask on the Ultimarc boards.

uh... now you have me confused.  Make sure to NOT assume that the vga cable colors mean ANYTHING in relation to matching colors on your monitor/cable.

I found a WG monitor manual which I *think* (but don't know for sure) is in the same monitor family as yours WG-k7000.pdf  from mikes arcade shop monitor manual section

anyways... assuming that matches your diagram you can check where the wires on your monitor leads are going and ascertain their function --> but that won't necessarily help with the vga cable but is a good point of reference.
*shrug*
good luck!

rampy

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 03:00:30 pm »

uh... now you have me confused.  Make sure to NOT assume that the vga cable colors mean ANYTHING in relation to matching colors on your monitor/cable.

I found a WG monitor manual which I *think* (but don't know for sure) is in the same monitor family as yours WG-k7000.pdf  from mikes arcade shop monitor manual section

anyways... assuming that matches your diagram you can check where the wires on your monitor leads are going and ascertain their function --> but that won't necessarily help with the vga cable but is a good point of reference.
*shrug*
good luck!

rampy

When I meant the colors of the cable, I meant the lead coming out of the WG monitor. There's Red, Green, Blue, White, and Black.

I'll check out that PDF -- thanks!

No response to my question on the Ultracade forum! I thought the VGA cable was supposed to make it easy! :)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 04:24:50 pm »

When I meant the colors of the cable, I meant the lead coming out of the WG monitor. There's Red, Green, Blue, White, and Black.

No response to my question on the Ultracade forum! I thought the VGA cable was supposed to make it easy! :)

heh, if you ever done  a VGA cable hack yourself the old fashioned way you'd think this minor blip of a mislabled wire was just dandy =P

Hope you get an answer soon and get to play with it.  EDIT someone replied... hopefully you turned on "email me replies" to the topic oer there =P

Rampy

===== fuseball said===

I think your Lt. Brown is really a grey wire. This is marked as V on my cable. The dark brown one is marked B, so I guess that is your missing "blue" wire.

I haven't tried wiring mine up yet. It is to go in a mate's cab with a Hantarex Polo monitor.

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 04:26:18 pm by rampy »

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 04:37:12 pm »

heh, if you ever done  a VGA cable hack yourself the old fashioned way you'd think this minor blip of a mislabled wire was just dandy =P

Hope you get an answer soon and get to play with it.  EDIT someone replied... hopefully you turned on "email me replies" to the topic oer there =P

Rampy

===== fuseball said===

I think your Lt. Brown is really a grey wire. This is marked as V on my cable. The dark brown one is marked B, so I guess that is your missing "blue" wire.

I haven't tried wiring mine up yet. It is to go in a mate's cab with a Hantarex Polo monitor.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the heads up! Actually yes I did see that reply and I will probably try it out tonight or tomorrow. I have a feeling that I am going to realize that a 19" monitor is going to suck and end up upgrading to something bigger.

Thanks for all of your help with all of my questions. The community of people in this hobby are really great!

Pyronious

• Offline Offline
    • Pyronious.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 12:27:31 am »

As I mentioned before, the most likely scenario is that the white wire on your monitor is composite sync, and the black wire is ground.

You are correct that there are no "voltage" inputs in the traditional (power-providing) sense.  However the R, G, B, and sync inputs are positive signal voltages, thus the necessary black ground wire.

P.

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 08:08:38 am »
As I mentioned before, the most likely scenario is that the white wire on your monitor is composite sync, and the black wire is ground.

You are correct that there are no "voltage" inputs in the traditional (power-providing) sense.  However the R, G, B, and sync inputs are positive signal voltages, thus the necessary black ground wire.

P.

Okay, so I would be right in assuming that

would be connected to the black ground wire?

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 01:02:18 pm »

P.

Okay, so I would be right in assuming that

would be connected to the black ground wire?

Not to out an out disagree with pyronious but please trace the black wire (or use a continuity checker) back to the monitor board to see if it's ground or another sync -- just to be sure.  My buddies WG and I suspect yours accepts composite sync, but is wired (and also accepts) separate H negative and V negative sync *shrug*

It's not that complicated... but it still can get you scratching your head from time to time (or at least I'm always scratching my head and talking to my self out loud when working on a cabinet =P)

With all that said... black is 90% most likely ground and your prior assumption of using the bundled (-) wires to that wire is probably correct =P

good luck!

Rampy

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 01:20:05 pm »
Rampy, it appears that you are right. I checked the service manual for my monitor and low and behold it's a -H sync.

So the question is - since the monitor is not grounded on the video input side now, do I have to ground it myself?

This is a pretty lousy picture of what it looks like now.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 03:43:43 pm »
Can you double check something for me (well for yourself)...

the top plug (the one that goes to the negative sync header on the monitor board)

it looks like the plug is like this

|X|O|X|

Where X is a populated connector and O is an open/empty/unpopulated space (i.e. no wire).  If that is the case the "empty middle" space is -V sync... meaning the far right/top wire is the - horizonal sync... and the bottom/left wire on that connector is the GROUND.

Know what I mean?  Take a closer look (but not too close -- stay away from that annode/suction cup/wire)

you'll just have to figure out which one is h sync and which is ground as they (in the picture) look very similiar colors (or just maybe be dirty)..

*shrug*  hope that makes sense/helps.

rampy

PS if it isn't attached to the ground pin like i;m hypothesisizing --- i'm pretty sure you can tie into whatever main/common earth ground is in your cabinet assuming the monitors frame is also tied into that same ground.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 03:47:27 pm by rampy »

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2003, 09:58:25 pm »
I stand corrected, again. There is a wire plugged into ground.

Pyronious

• Offline Offline
    • Pyronious.com
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2003, 10:33:39 pm »
Based on the service manual and your 2nd photo, it looks to me like your black wire is indeed ground.  But it's good that you double-checked as Rampy wisely recommended.

P.

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 08:55:02 am »
I got it working last night. Of course now I see how bad the burn-in is so I will have to get a new monitor!

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 03:09:45 pm »
Hi,
I noticed your comment regarding how bad the burnin was on your monitor.

My monitor has a little bit of burn in. (plainly visible) but using an tinted (smoked) plexiglass over the monitor the burn is is almost invisible.

Check out

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/smoked/

Good Luck

ZippySLC

• Offline Offline
  • Booyah
    • ZippySLC's MAME Cab
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 03:12:23 pm »
I planned on that - I just need to find a place that has smoked plexi!! :)

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 03:18:31 pm »
If you don't find smoked plexi you may wanna check a local glass shop. I'm sure they would have smoked glass and would cut it the right shape for you.