Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Favorites 80s (!) racer?  (Read 8779 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Favorites 80s (!) racer?
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:47:13 am »
I thought I really liked Pole Position II, but at least regarding the Fuji track, I like the original better. So that's my favorite, Pole Position. (Outrun is  a close second.) What's yours?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

RetroGreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
Re: Favorites 80s (!) racer?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:07 am »
I think I'd have to say Super Sprint. I definately play it the most now anyways.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:21:28 am »
Pole Position/2
Buggy Boy
OutRun
Road Blasters
Chase HQ
Night Driver (I know it's 70's but worth a mention)

They are my most played in no particular order but I would have to go with OutRun for all time favourite.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:03:39 am »
Racers were crap in the 80-ies. I only started to like them in the ninetees. With Virtua Racer for example.

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:45 am »
In the 80's I really liked Turbo.  Probably because I was a little kid and I could play for a while on a quarter on that game.  Now I just like Outrun.

Jake

Chadwick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 03:23:34 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:34 am »
Turbo... I used to play that all day at the arcade.

Hurray Banana

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 pm
  • My unique teaching style
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:56:02 am »
Powerdrift, I love playing my upright cab.

A also loved Super sprint playing against mates.
Cheers Eric

TZ Pinball, PowerDrift upright, 4 vertical Mame cab and 8 way 2 player Mame cab

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »
hmm....80s racers....probably Outrun.

I do enjoy a good game of Hot Rod, Ivan Stuart, Bump N Jump (though not really a racer), Powerdrift, and I'm blanking on the name of the Super Sprint clone that was more Mad Max like....

I also tremendously enjoyed Star Rider....and I wish Daphne would emulate it. It was one of my favorites as a kid, and I should have bought the one that was in my local arcade when I had the chance.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »
I'm blanking on the name of the Super Sprint clone that was more Mad Max like....

Badlands?

Endaar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2015, 07:18:45 am
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:36:06 pm »
Wait, there were racers in the 80s OTHER than OutRun?

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »
Pole Position, Super Off-Road, Out Run, Super Sprint.... I can think of a few others but we're then moving into the 90's. Of course my favourite arcade racers were Daytona, Ridge Racer and GTI Club, but then we're moving onto later hardware.

Did anyone check out the XB Live version of GTI Club? From what I saw it rocked, just updating the graphics and leaving the gameplay intact.

Oh, big shout out to Gran Turismo and Crazy Taxi, which will feature in my racing cab when I get round to building it.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:12:22 am
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 02:38:23 am »
I own Super Sprint, and it is one of my favorites. My Outrun is being delivered on Saturday, and I am looking forward to playing it. I have never actually completed a race on that game. I own Ridge Racer as well, but I don't play it much and I think it will be traded or sold pretty soon. To me, the mid 90s driving games look worse than the 80s - trying to look real, but not quite getting there.

I always think of Pole Position first, but since I hooked up the wheel on my MAME cab, I have only played it a couple of times.

I am noticing a trend in my collection; most of the games I enjoy the most (probably all except for Donkey Kong) are from 1985-86. I don't know  if those were really great years, or if I just remember them the best. I was 14-15 at the time so it could be the latter. By '87, I was working more than playing games.

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:16 am »
Outrun was definitely the one most of my money went into. The Testarossa, the blonde by your side and the music, ah the music!

Followed by...

super sprint,
Roadblasters

How about wec le mans and it's spinning sit-down cabinet! It was either 2 goes on outrun, or one on this, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:55 am »
Racers were crap in the 80-ies. I only started to like them in the ninetees. With Virtua Racer for example.

There were some good ones in the 90's, but in terms of gameplay & especially replay value a lot of them were much crapper than some from the 80's.

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:08:10 am »
Road Blasters.   Pole Position with a gun.  ;D

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 10:30:23 am »
Spy Hunter: Roadblasters done properly with cool music ;)

Man, that's tough to list my favorite 80's racer.  Pole Position, Turbo, Offroad, Super Sprint, those were all great. But like a few of you, I have to say there was no feeling like sitting in the cockpit version of Outrun with the music blasting in your ears.  Love that game, Sega were on quite a ride in that era.

Turnarcades:  Isn't GTI Club only for the PSN, not xbox live arcade?

To all Next gen console owners: who's not looking forward to Outrun online? (a hidef version of Outrun 2006). :)

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:03 am »
Turnarcades:  Isn't GTI Club only for the PSN, not xbox live arcade?

Sorry, stand corrected. Either way it looks ace!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:58:03 am »
Quite a few captured my interest, and quarters...

First one was Speed Bug. Just because it was there.  :D

Next, Pole Position definitely. I'd just whip that steering wheel when hitting the corners, and I could hit 325 mph thanks to a defective gas pedel I could lift up with my foot to get top speed.  ;D

Next, Outrun was just fantastic. What a feeling that was playing the motion version for the first time (for a whole dollar!). Being, what, 14 or 15, I of course had never driven a real car, so to me "it felt like driving a real car!!!" LOL

Finally Hard Driving upped the realism again, and I still hadn't gotten a drivers license by then, so to me, "it felt like driving a real car!!!" ;D

After this, Virtua Racing was cool, but Sega's Daytona is the one I had most fun with.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:24:59 am by RayB »
NO MORE!!

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:21 am »
To all Next gen console owners: who's not looking forward to Outrun online? (a hidef version of Outrun 2006). :)

I've got my points card ready for that one! Hope it drops next week.  ;D

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:02 am »

Notice there was an exclamation mark next to '80s'. Yes, I'm being a thread nazi. (Heheheheh.)

Turbo I never liked, because the graphics I was non-plussed about - but especially the collision detection was upsetting.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 03:47:48 pm »
I liked Night Stocker alot also - 2 people could play on one quarter, Not really a racer, but it had a steering wheel AND a gun, can't beat that !

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 05:36:51 pm »
Huhn. Don't recall seeing that one. Kinda curious.
I liked Night Stocker alot also - 2 people could play on one quarter, Not really a racer, but it had a steering wheel AND a gun, can't beat that !

Huhn. Don't recall seeing that one. Kinda curious.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 08:45:04 am »
Out run and SCI (the sequel to chaseHQ)
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

dirkomatic

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2023, 10:40:35 pm
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:59:47 am »
I guess I'm the only one who played Final Lap?!?

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:05 pm »

I like the original - chaseHQ
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Vicious Burger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2021, 01:34:03 am
  • The gristle ball that gives at good as it gets
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »
So no-one said anything about it being only car-based racers,so I'm going to chime in with Hang On and Super Hang On. Used to play those a lot in the arcade (along with Outrun of course,one of my other faves.)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »

Not in any specific order:

As a child,  I also Loved  Turbo.   I think the thing that killed Turbo, was the poor
scene changes, which made the game a little too cheap for the player.  Otherwise,
I think its popularity would have been even greater.

The feeling of speed is very good in that game... and you have to react Very quickly to
dodge away from trouble.   Pressing the pedal, and slipping into high gear.. and you
are passing cars at a simulated mach 3 !  :D

Supersprint was another Fav.  Played that to death.  The biggest problem with that
game was the AI difficult.   It was too easy for like 3 rounds... then Impossible to beat
them on the last round.  If that was not the case... it would have been so much better.

The steering wheel whip & Drift  took a lot of skill to master... and was incredibly fun.
Still is.

Then OutRun came out... Wow.   Incredible.  Even to this day, Outrun is challenging,
pretty to look at, and Fun.   I prefer the motion cockpit..  but the shaking wheel is
great too   :)    Outrun is much more challenging than many Modern racers.   It also
is much more satisfying, as when you wreck, its spectacular.   Many modern racers
are known to be dummy proof - allowing one to hit high curbs, and objects and still
drive fine.  Or they restrict your ability to crash.  There is also often no speed hit for
going off road, if you can in fact do that.   

The perspective in Outrun made it hard to predict what was coming up, which is good.
And turns at high speed were deadly if you didnt slow down.  Theres a lot
more traffic to dodge as well.

Spy Hunter - Is not quite a Racer... but damn, that car can Move!  At speed, its like
the Speeder bike scene from Jedi.   The amount of control you have is also amazing.
Not many games give you so much range of control and possibility.  Every moment,
there are infinite things happening at great speeds - that could cause your doom.

Monaco GP -  (not super monaco gp)   This awesome top view game is similar to
Turbo... but without the switch-over issue.   Its brutally fast and furious... and great
fun.   Its sad that its not been emulated - nor well simulated... as its such a great
classic.   Love the engine sounds in this game too.

TX-1  : I never got to play this until late in life... and when I did... I realized how much
it STOMPS all over Pole Position.   The tracks are longer, more varied, fun.   There is
a ton more traffic to constantly weave through.   It has elements of Outrun,  such
as the Split Track choices,  and the car spin if you bump into a car at low speeds.
3 Screen Display!  And a Surround Sound system!

Continental Circus :  While this Racer seems Average...  Put on a pair of
LCD Stereoscopic Shutter Glasses... and enable the 3d output.   You will be Blown Away
at how Frickin Cool it is !!!    The entire track goes deep into the screen... and looks
so much more realistic.   When your car wrecks... Parts fly and bounce right out of the
screen!   You also see many other cars wreck often - which sends parts all over the
place.   

Hot Rod - Very cool supersprint style game.  Sadly, it plays a little too slow.  Which
is expected considering that scrolling with 4 people wouldnt have been very possible
with only one monitor.    The game is more of a quarter muncher than an actual
race game.

90s  and above...

Race Drivin.  Man, you cant beat the math engine in this game!   As well as the
realistic controls in the cockpit version.   Even with todays advanced power and
graphical abilities... Ive yet to play a game that comes close to the feel and control
of Race Drivin.   Its a Stand Alone true legend.   If only they remade it with new
hardware - but same great math engine, controls, and gameplay.   Id even go  for someone releasing more tracks for Outrun as well as Race Drivin.

Daytona USA - While maybe not the most visually pleasing of all the Sega racers...
it seemed to be much more realistic in its execution.   Because of this, I could never
seem to place very well.  heh     But it was always fun trying.  Not long after this, Segas,
and many other racers became way too easy and thus not even worth playing.

RUSH - Was a great game.   The physics were much better than most racers...
more akin to Race Drivin.  Racing, Finding secret paths, trying to execute them, and the feel of landing giant air-time was a great combination.

Ridge Racer - Good Graphics, and great Power-Sliding ability.  Sorta like a
FPS version of Supersprint.   Lots of challenge to master,  and a great fast flow.  Too
bad there is no crazy awesome wreckage like in Outrun...

Virtual Racing -  Nice physics, fun colorful graphics, good sounds,

Honorable Mentions:

Super Hangon - Excellent racing game. Love the Turbo function.  Very difficult.

Rally Bike - Not quite the typical racer.. but really cool and innovative gameplay.

Excite Bike - Huge Air, quick reactions, and strategy of Engine Temp.  Fun stuff.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 10:41:24 pm »
I guess those are racers, though I always thought they were lesser, for some reason. I don't know whether I even saw Final Lap back then. Probly, but I don't remember it.

Monaco GP was a decent game, but it was easy. I always ran in high gear, and I'd eventually get bored playing it.

TX-1: a neat idea, but the sounds immediately turned me off. Plus, the hues of the color scheme weren't as rich as Pole Position.

Excitebike is, essentially, a side-scroller.

Um, and I said 80s - with exclamation marks to indicate only 80s.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:43:01 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 11:29:16 pm »
Monaco Gp  Easy?  How long have you played it?   I could never get past the part where
the bridge narrows to one lane.     Admittedly, I didnt get to play it all that long.  And I
have to wonder... if your machine was set to super easy mode... or you never got
to the part where the bridge narrowed.

TX-1,  while not sounding as nice as PP,   is 100x the better game that Pole Position is
hands down.   I could care less about the colors used.

Excitebike is, essentially, a side-scroller.
So, wouldnt Monaco GP be a vertical scroller too?!  Same for Turbo too? 

A race is a race.  And a Driving game is a Driving Game.  I fail to see your so called
Logic.

Um, and I said 80s - with exclamation marks to indicate only 80s.

GASP!  Ohh no!   Did I Upset you because I didnt follow your exacting thread Protocol?! 
lol

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 12:43:31 am »
I have to concur with Xiau on Outrun sit-down version and Atari Hard Driving. Those were real *WOW* moments for me, the first times I played them.

Outrun's soundtrack is excellent too.
NO MORE!!

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 11:43:05 pm »
Monaco Gp  Easy?  How long have you played it?   I could never get past the part where
the bridge narrows to one lane.     Admittedly, I didnt get to play it all that long.  And I
have to wonder... if your machine was set to super easy mode... or you never got
to the part where the bridge narrowed.

I remember being able to play as long as I wanted. I think I did get up to a thousand points once before I quit. Them's my memories.

TX-1,  while not sounding as nice as PP,   is 100x the better game that Pole Position is
hands down.   I could care less about the colors used.

I accept your sensory deficiency.

Excitebike is, essentially, a side-scroller. So, wouldnt Monaco GP be a vertical scroller too?!  Same for Turbo too? 

Maybe Monaco GP would be. However, Turbo was not; it was essentially the same kind of view as PP - just not as good.

A race is a race.  And a Driving game is a Driving Game.  I fail to see your so called
Logic.

Well, first you have to use some.

GASP!  Ohh no!   Did I Upset you because I didnt follow your exacting thread Protocol?! 
lol

No, you just made yerself look like a dumbass. (Hahahahahhaha.)

Hard Drivin' was after my time, so to speak. Not sure whether I even saw it. Outrun I liked, but didn't like. Like it a lot more, now. My second-favorite racer.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:50 am »
I remember being able to play as long as I wanted. I think I did get up to a thousand points once before I quit. Them's my memories.

I think your memories are skewed.   Much like how so many thought  Satans Hollow
was a slow-fire game... when really, they just never got very deep in the game,
nor all the powerup levels. 

Just about the End of this video,  the game gives the guy an Extended play notice,
gives him 2 men,  and a few moments later comes the warning that the road is
narrowing.     He crashes at that narrow point, and then right after it on the 2 lane
bridge.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z85jMRmLatI[/youtube]

I accept your sensory deficiency.

Funny.   I actually own a pair of Sennheiser Audiophile level headphones,  and
have a very discerning set of ears that rest beneath them.   Im also an amateur
artist, so my understanding and use of color is very keen.

Still, as much as I love PP's game sounds and tunes..  The gameplay does not
even come close to matching TX-1.

You would rather play checkers while listening to a hi-def music track....  where as I
would rather play chess, while listening to a compressed mp3.   Imop, gamplay is
much more important that sound quality, as well as visuals.   Thats pretty much
proven when one compares many modern games to the true arcade classics.

Of course, we are talking Opinion here.   But it does bother me when someone
says they dont like a game because its colors are not as nice.   Its that same
crappy attitude of younger players that see a game like Robotron and think its
garbage because it does not look like GTA3.

Maybe Monaco GP would be. However, Turbo was not; it was essentially the same kind of view as PP - just not as good.

LOL.  Viewpoint does not mean anything.  A Race is a Race, no matter what view is
displayed.   A side scroller such as Super Mario isnt a race.  While there is a timer...
your goal and objectives is not Race oriented.   A Race is where 2 or more ops are
RACING against each other.

Also, Turbos viewpoint is pretty much the same.  3rd person.   Camera is simply higher
up.   Which is the way I choose to play Virtua Racing, as one can see much more
of the track,  and can see the cars boundary's and objects much more easily.

Pole Position also has no hills,  no dark tunnels,  no night lit city,  no bridges, ..etc.
Its extremely simplistic...  and the game length is pretty short.

Well, first you have to use some.

Im pretty sure the majority would agree that my argument holds logic, while yours
does not.   You are an Abstract thinker.   To you, abstract is logical.  However, in
reality... you are furthest from it.

No, you just made yerself look like a dumbass
No.  And you just made yourself look like both and Idiot, and a low class fool with that quote.

I chose to reply how I felt about certain racing games.  I knew fully you wanted to
talk about 80s.  I didnt care.   You trying to police me over it is both hilarious
and disturbingly ridiculous.   

You tell  ask people to say their favorite Ice cream:  Choc, or Vanilla... and One
guy says he like Choc... but also really likes Pistachio too.   

Does that make him a Fool?!   He is stating an opinion.  It matters Not that
he disobeys your all mighty OPINIONATED Poll.   "YOU"  are the Fool.

Its so painful to see you even Try to defend your Idiocy and attitude.

Outrun I liked, but didn't like.

Another attempt at being  "Above all you regular thinkers"  ?   Purposefully trying to
be thought of as the Oddball who cant complete a normal sentence?

"I like chocolate, but I dont like Chocolate"    Thats a real conversation huh?!
May as well just keep talking to yourself buddy.   heh

How about adding actual DETAILS?!  Example:

"I didnt really enjoy chocolate that much when I was younger... but as I grew
older my tastes changed... and now its one of my favorites"

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 02:43:38 am »
I think your memories are skewed.   Much like how so many thought  Satans Hollow
was a slow-fire game... when really, they just never got very deep in the game,
nor all the powerup levels. 

Just about the End of this video,  the game gives the guy an Extended play notice,
gives him 2 men,  and a few moments later comes the warning that the road is
narrowing.     He crashes at that narrow point, and then right after it on the 2 lane
bridge.

Steve, I'm beginning to think you just aren't very good at video games and see them with a whole different set of eyes than just about everyone else.

I won't rehash the Satan's Hollow thing you apparently can't let go of, but the guy playing Monaco GP is obviously not very good at it.  I guess he doesn't know that there are speeds between "off" and "on".

I too remember playing that game a lot and getting good enough to go for a long time in extended play, narrow roads and all.  After the time runs out, the name of the game becomes "patient survival".

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:10 am »

Well, As Ive said, I never got to play this game for very long.  And I was probably
7 yrs old when I did play it, so wasnt very good.   Played a couple of times on
a friends machine at a later age, but not long enough to get used to the bridge
narrow spot.

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 10:42:43 am »

I like the original - chaseHQ

The problem with the original is that there was no fire button.
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:24 pm »
Yeah, the dude in that video ain't any good - and notice he frequently spasses, when there's no reason to. Also, notice he often avoids the easier way through, which happens to be through the middle, and jumps over to the side, which is a lot farther to go, and then he runs the chance of being boxed in. Just watching that, it all came back, and I was going exactly where he wasn't but should've. One advantage about the game is the analog control is VERY precise, AND, unlike PP, etc, you can't wipe it by how fast you go from side to side (something I was a little disappointed with, and one reason I had the idea it was a kiddie game). I wouldn't always run forever, but often would.

I'm laughing at how serious you're taking this. I'll mention that some of my comments were a bit black humor - 1) that you would be a poor troop, and 2) that I was busting your balls. Also, your assumptions about me are amusing. Lastly, you missed the last two sentences about Outrun.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:18:08 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
WIIIIIIIISE from your grave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bumping because this thread references a lot of racers that I either completely forgot about, or haven't even heard of! WOW.....thanks guys. Adding all these as shortcuts to my custom steam library as we speak! If you know any more let me know  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »
Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road, although the perspective disqualifies it as a true racer IMO.
That's the one I played the most in the arcade though.

For a true behind or in-car perspective 80's racer, it's hard to beat Outrun.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:51 pm »
hmm....80s racers....probably Outrun.

I do enjoy a good game of Hot Rod, Ivan Stuart, Bump N Jump (though not really a racer), Powerdrift, and I'm blanking on the name of the Super Sprint clone that was more Mad Max like....

I also tremendously enjoyed Star Rider....and I wish Daphne would emulate it. It was one of my favorites as a kid, and I should have bought the one that was in my local arcade when I had the chance.

Cool story bro.

My favorite 80s racer is Pole Position, hands down
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »
the only racer i remember from back then in arcades was California outrun I think it was called.
you could pick your music by turning the wheel.
I could actually get my quarters worth out of that game.